|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was at the Fisher house when Ellie returned to the house after working in the field as harvest time arrives?
2. Who is the second witness on the stand at Katie's trial?
3. What was the prosecution's first question?
4. Who arranged to be a witness at trial?
5. What is the prosecutor able to suggest to the jury through Jacob's testimony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Coop say to try to help Ellie after Katie signs a waiver saying that Ellie advised her against testifying?
2. What was the punishment Katie received from the elders of the church?
3. In Chapter 9, what does the friend who visits Katie a few days after the girl had a date with Samuel, say to Katie?
4. Who was the first witness and what did the witness say?
5. What do Katie and Ellie agree on about Katie's defense in Chapter 10?
6. What was Katie's reaction to the plea bargain?
7. Why is Ellie nervous about telling Coop about her pregnancy?
8. What does Katie admit to Ellie at the end of Chapter 16?
9. What does Katie's reaction to Adam in the courtroom suggest to the jury?
10. What is Lizzie convincing the district attorney of in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two alternate theories of how the baby died. What are they? Which seems more plausible? Why? If the mother of the baby had been someone other than Katie, would that make a difference? Does the way that the author builds Katie's character have an impact on the reader believing one theory of death over another?
Essay Topic 2
The Amish community is very tight-knit. Describe the role of the community in Plain Truth. Who were prominent community members? Who did the reader only see once or twice, but still aided in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, there are many secrets, some of which impact the plot. Discuss two secrets which are revealed by the end of the book. Who knows the secret? Whose secret is it? Why is the secret important to the plot? How is the secret revealed? How is the secret hinted at and its revealing foreshadowed?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)