|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What infection does the pathologist discuss when he is on the stand?
2. How many years in prison did the plea bargain include?
3. What does Samuel speak about on the stand?
4. After Jacob comes home, what or who is Katie growing increasingly unhappy with?
5. Who does Ellie practice her opening remarks for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lizzie convincing the district attorney of in Chapter 9?
2. Why do Katie's lies feel like betrayal to Ellie?
3. What is Sarah's reaction on the morning of the trial's opening?
4. What does Coop suggest when Ellie goes to him as a sounding board for a new defense strategy in Chapters 11-12?
5. What happened when Ellie returned to the Fisher farm the first night of trial?
6. What do Katie and Ellie agree on about Katie's defense in Chapter 10?
7. When the prosecution questions Jacob, what is the prosecution able to suggest about Katie?
8. Why does Ellie argue with Coop about at his apartment in Chapter 9?
9. Why is Ellie nervous about telling Coop about her pregnancy?
10. What was Katie's reaction to the plea bargain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellie at first wants to pursue an insanity defense for Katie. Why? Is there any support for such a defense? Eventually, Ellie drops this plan and pursues another defense. What is it? Why did she stop pursuing the insanity defense?
Essay Topic 2
What impact do Amish values and culture play in Plain Truth? If the Fishers were non-religious, or English, would the events have transpired differently? Would the court case have turned out the same way?
Essay Topic 3
At various times in the book, Stephen and Coop appear in the story. When they appear, the author discusses Ellie's personal life. Why might the author have chosen to have these two men appear in the book and in Ellie's life? What purpose, if any, might they have to the story? Why might they appear when they appear, but not be around all the time?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)