|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years in prison did the plea bargain include?
2. After Jacob comes home, what or who is Katie growing increasingly unhappy with?
3. What infection did the pathologist believe Katie had contracted?
4. What does Coop speak about on the stand?
5. What does Ellie ask for money for at the pretrial hearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lizzie convincing the district attorney of in Chapter 9?
2. What was the problem with Adam's profession?
3. What does Coop suggest when Ellie goes to him as a sounding board for a new defense strategy in Chapters 11-12?
4. Why does Ellie argue with Coop about at his apartment in Chapter 9?
5. In Chapter 9, what does the friend who visits Katie a few days after the girl had a date with Samuel, say to Katie?
6. In Chapter 10, why wasn't Katie comfortable with the insanity defense?
7. After the pathologist's testimony, what did Katie do on the way home to the farm?
8. What do Katie and Ellie agree on about Katie's defense in Chapter 10?
9. What does Katie reveal at the end of Chapter 13?
10. When the prosecution questions Jacob, what is the prosecution able to suggest about Katie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At various times in the book, Stephen and Coop appear in the story. When they appear, the author discusses Ellie's personal life. Why might the author have chosen to have these two men appear in the book and in Ellie's life? What purpose, if any, might they have to the story? Why might they appear when they appear, but not be around all the time?
Essay Topic 2
The feeling of betrayal is felt by more then one character in Plain Truth, and through memories, is felt by even more characters in the past, before the events of the book take place. Discuss at least three different situations where there are feelings of betrayal. Who was involved? What was the situation? Why did someone feel betrayed?
Essay Topic 3
Women play an important role in Plain Truth. Discuss one English woman and one Amish woman and their impact on the story. When do they appear in the book? Why? Who are their relationships with? Why? What is their role in the story? Is it a dominating role, or is it a supportive role? How do they interact with the other characters? What does this tell us about them?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)