|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides tending to the fields, what did Samuel do over the few weeks after the harvest time arrived?
2. On the stand, how does Coop suggest the baby died?
3. How many years in prison did the plea bargain include?
4. What does Samuel speak about on the stand?
5. What has Jacob been hiding from Katie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Coop say to try to help Ellie after Katie signs a waiver saying that Ellie advised her against testifying?
2. Why did the pathologist's testimony send the prosecutor into a tailspin?
3. What was the punishment Katie received from the elders of the church?
4. What was the problem with Adam's profession?
5. What do Katie and Ellie agree on about Katie's defense in Chapter 10?
6. In Chapter 9, what does the friend who visits Katie a few days after the girl had a date with Samuel, say to Katie?
7. What does Coop suggest when Ellie goes to him as a sounding board for a new defense strategy in Chapters 11-12?
8. What does Katie admit to Ellie at the end of Chapter 16?
9. When the prosecution questions Jacob, what is the prosecution able to suggest about Katie?
10. What does Katie say about the baby's death when she takes the stand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellie at first wants to pursue an insanity defense for Katie. Why? Is there any support for such a defense? Eventually, Ellie drops this plan and pursues another defense. What is it? Why did she stop pursuing the insanity defense?
Essay Topic 2
At various times in the book, Stephen and Coop appear in the story. When they appear, the author discusses Ellie's personal life. Why might the author have chosen to have these two men appear in the book and in Ellie's life? What purpose, if any, might they have to the story? Why might they appear when they appear, but not be around all the time?
Essay Topic 3
Men play an important role in the book. Discuss one English man and one Amish man and their impact on the story. When do they appear in the book? Why? Who are their relationships with? Why? What is their role in the story? Is it a dominating role, or is it a supportive role? How do they interact with the other characters? What does this tell us about them?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)