|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What virtue is not part of the Amish way?
2. Where does Ellie take Katie to visit while she decides on the plea bargain?
3. Who ends the relationship between Ellie and Stephen?
4. Who did Coop find and bring to the farm as a surprise guest?
5. The day before Ellie puts Katie on the stand, what does Samuel ask Katie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the punishment Katie received from the elders of the church?
2. Why did the pathologist's testimony send the prosecutor into a tailspin?
3. What does Katie admit to Ellie at the end of Chapter 16?
4. What is Lizzie convincing the district attorney of in Chapter 9?
5. In Chapter 9, what does the friend who visits Katie a few days after the girl had a date with Samuel, say to Katie?
6. What does Katie say about the baby's death when she takes the stand?
7. Why does Ellie argue with Coop about at his apartment in Chapter 9?
8. Why is Ellie nervous about telling Coop about her pregnancy?
9. What does Ellie get the medical examiner to admit during his testimony?
10. What does Katie's reaction to Adam in the courtroom suggest to the jury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coop is an English character that appears frequently in the book. Discuss Coop's impact on the story. When does Coop appear? What's his role? What's his interaction with the characters when he appears in the story? Is he a minor or a major character?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, there are many secrets, some of which impact the plot. Discuss two secrets which are revealed by the end of the book. Who knows the secret? Whose secret is it? Why is the secret important to the plot? How is the secret revealed? How is the secret hinted at and its revealing foreshadowed?
Essay Topic 3
Women play an important role in Plain Truth. Discuss one English woman and one Amish woman and their impact on the story. When do they appear in the book? Why? Who are their relationships with? Why? What is their role in the story? Is it a dominating role, or is it a supportive role? How do they interact with the other characters? What does this tell us about them?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)