|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who objected to Jacob remaining a part of the family as much as possible under the bann?
2. When Ellie cross examines Lizzie, what does she argue about the footprint found near the baby's body?
3. Why does Katie continue to insist she doesn't know how the baby died?
4. Who was working in the fields with the Fishers as harvest time arrived?
5. What does Ellie ask for money for at the pretrial hearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellie argue with Coop about at his apartment in Chapter 9?
2. What does Katie reveal at the end of Chapter 13?
3. What is Lizzie convincing the district attorney of in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 9, what does the friend who visits Katie a few days after the girl had a date with Samuel, say to Katie?
5. In Chapter 10, when Stephen arrives at the Fisher farm, what does Ellie tell him after dinner?
6. What do the prosecutor and Ellie say in their opening arguments?
7. What do the prosecutor and Ellie say in their closing arguments?
8. When the prosecution questions Jacob, what is the prosecution able to suggest about Katie?
9. What was the punishment Katie received from the elders of the church?
10. What does Katie's reaction to Adam in the courtroom suggest to the jury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coop is an English character that appears frequently in the book. Discuss Coop's impact on the story. When does Coop appear? What's his role? What's his interaction with the characters when he appears in the story? Is he a minor or a major character?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, there are many secrets, some of which impact the plot. Discuss two secrets which are revealed by the end of the book. Who knows the secret? Whose secret is it? Why is the secret important to the plot? How is the secret revealed? How is the secret hinted at and its revealing foreshadowed?
Essay Topic 3
What impact do Amish values and culture play in Plain Truth? If the Fishers were non-religious, or English, would the events have transpired differently? Would the court case have turned out the same way?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)