|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lizzie suggest as a possible motive of murder?
2. Where does Adam ask Ellie and Coop to go?
3. What does Katie do before the elders of the church?
4. What does Katie have to walk through on her way into the courthouse?
5. What did Ellie get the medical examiner to admit to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Coop suggest when Ellie goes to him as a sounding board for a new defense strategy in Chapters 11-12?
2. Why does Ellie believe she can trust Coop in Chapter 16?
3. In Chapter 10, when Stephen arrives at the Fisher farm, what does Ellie tell him after dinner?
4. What does Katie admit to Ellie at the end of Chapter 16?
5. What do the prosecutor and Ellie say in their opening arguments?
6. After the pathologist's testimony, what did Katie do on the way home to the farm?
7. What was the problem with Adam's profession?
8. What does Coop say to try to help Ellie after Katie signs a waiver saying that Ellie advised her against testifying?
9. What do Katie and Ellie agree on about Katie's defense in Chapter 10?
10. What does Katie's reaction to Adam in the courtroom suggest to the jury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Amish community is very tight-knit. Describe the role of the community in Plain Truth. Who were prominent community members? Who did the reader only see once or twice, but still aided in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Men play an important role in the book. Discuss one English man and one Amish man and their impact on the story. When do they appear in the book? Why? Who are their relationships with? Why? What is their role in the story? Is it a dominating role, or is it a supportive role? How do they interact with the other characters? What does this tell us about them?
Essay Topic 3
Ellie at first wants to pursue an insanity defense for Katie. Why? Is there any support for such a defense? Eventually, Ellie drops this plan and pursues another defense. What is it? Why did she stop pursuing the insanity defense?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)