|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Jacob when Katie's sister drowned in the pond?
2. When Aaron rushes Ellie, Katie and Sarah into a buggy, where do they go?
3. What saddens Samuel on the way home from the party?
4. When Ellie thinks about having to formulate Katie's defense, what is she frustrated at?
5. Who is Hannah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lizzie Munor believe happened when she is called to the farm in Chapter 1?
2. What do Stephen and Ellie discuss on the phone in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 6, why does Katie agree to confess her sins at the next church meeting as the bishop and church leaders have asked her to do?
4. In Chapter 7, what did Katie recall when Samuel confessed to Katie that he wished the baby was his as well?
5. What happens to someone who has done something wrong against the Amish code of living?
6. Why does Ellie initially get frustrated and think it will be difficult to defend Katie?
7. In Chapter 1, when does Lizzie begin to question Katie and what does she question?
8. What did Lizzie learn in her discussion with Sarah in Chapter 7?
9. In Chapters 2-3, the author mentioned that when Katie went to visit Jacob six years ago in State College, Jacob give her a gift. What was this gift?
10. What is a dissociative state and when can it occur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The feeling of betrayal is felt by more then one character in Plain Truth, and through memories, is felt by even more characters in the past, before the events of the book take place. Discuss at least three different situations where there are feelings of betrayal. Who was involved? What was the situation? Why did someone feel betrayed?
Essay Topic 2
Ellie plays a major role in Katie's life leading up to, and during, the trial. Would another English attorney have been able to get as close to the Fisher family as Ellie did? Why or why not? Did Ellie's Aunt Leda play a significant role in Ellie's success for Katie's case?
Essay Topic 3
Katie felt pulled in two directions by men in her life, Samuel and Adam. Which did Katie eventually choose, if either, and why? Why might outside factors, such as family, influenced Katie's decision? What do these two men represent in Katie's life?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)