|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katie give to the baby to suck on after he is born?
2. What does Ellie make clear to Coop about their relationship?
3. Who refused to meet with Lizzie when she came to the farm?
4. Of what did Lizzie convince the doctor in the emergency room so she could learn about Katie's condition?
5. What saddens Samuel on the way home from the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to someone who has done something wrong against the Amish code of living?
2. What does Samuel admit to the bishop in Chapter 7?
3. When Stephen is annoyed that Ellie missed the interview and embarrassed him, what did Ellie realize?
4. How did Levi, a farm hand, find the baby?
5. In Chapter 1, when does Lizzie begin to question Katie and what does she question?
6. In Chapter 4, why did Ellie call a psychiatrist friend in the middle of the night?
7. What do Stephen and Ellie discuss on the phone in Chapter 6?
8. What were two reasons Ellie had trouble adjusting to the Amish way of life the first night?
9. In Chapter 8, what is the reason that the author says Katie's father considers Jacob dead?
10. In Chapters 2-3, the author mentioned that when Katie went to visit Jacob six years ago in State College, Jacob give her a gift. What was this gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ellie make herself fit in with Katie's family? Is it important? Why might Ellie have wanted to fit in with Katie's family and community?
Essay Topic 2
Coop is an English character that appears frequently in the book. Discuss Coop's impact on the story. When does Coop appear? What's his role? What's his interaction with the characters when he appears in the story? Is he a minor or a major character?
Essay Topic 3
What role did Sarah play in the book? What decisions did she make and why? What influenced her decisions? Family? Amish beliefs?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)