|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the owner of the farm where the baby is found?
2. What did Lizzie see on Katie that made her suspicious?
3. In one memory Katie has during the first Sunday, why do Jacob and his friends leave her on the beginner slopes when they went skiing?
4. What does Ellie make clear to Coop about their relationship?
5. Why did Ellie miss the interview at the law firm?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what is the reason that the author says Katie's father considers Jacob dead?
2. What were two reasons Ellie had trouble adjusting to the Amish way of life the first night?
3. Describe what happens at the baby's funeral in Chapter 6?
4. What is a dissociative state and when can it occur?
5. What is the first step Ellie takes in an attempt to win over the Amish community?
6. In Chapter 7, what did Katie recall when Samuel confessed to Katie that he wished the baby was his as well?
7. What does Lizzie Munor believe happened when she is called to the farm in Chapter 1?
8. What happened on Sunday night in Chapter 5 that reminded Ellie that Katie was still lying about not having a baby and what did it make Ellie wonder?
9. How does the bishop provide Ellie with electricity for her laptop?
10. In Chapter 1, when does Lizzie begin to question Katie and what does she question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Men play an important role in the book. Discuss one English man and one Amish man and their impact on the story. When do they appear in the book? Why? Who are their relationships with? Why? What is their role in the story? Is it a dominating role, or is it a supportive role? How do they interact with the other characters? What does this tell us about them?
Essay Topic 2
Both Katie and Ellie have multiple lovers in Plain Truth. Pick one lover for each woman and discuss the relationship between the woman and the man. What impact does their relationship have on the woman? On the man? Does the situation impact the relationship, and/or does their relationship impact the situation?
Essay Topic 3
There are at least two instances where a bann is brought up in Plain Truth. Discuss the role of the bann in the story, and why the author might have used it. Which characters were directly and indirectly affected by the bann? Why? What does this say about the affected characters?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)