|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Katie stay up all night?
(a) She is hoping Jacob comes home.
(b) She is sleepless with thoughts of her baby.
(c) She is hoping the whole situation is a bad dream.
(d) She is hoping Samuel will come courting in the middle of the night.
2. What test does Katie pass on the first try?
(a) A test on the legal system.
(b) A test on Amish culture.
(c) A sobriety test.
(d) A lie detector test.
3. What does Katie say is the "Amish way?"
(a) To confess, even if she didn't do anything.
(b) To avoid contact with anyone in the community until you are "righted."
(c) To stay with your family in troubled times.
(d) To stay silent near the elders unless they ask you to speak.
4. What does Katie say to the bishop's proposal for Katie at the next church meeting?
(a) She agrees.
(b) She disagrees, but says she will do it at another time.
(c) She disagrees.
(d) She agrees, but wants to change how it will be done.
5. What state do Ellie and Coop discuss on the porch over lemonade?
(a) An associative state.
(b) A temporary insanity state.
(c) A dissociative state.
(d) An insanity state.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Jacob when Katie's sister drowned in the pond?
2. What did Katie join when she became a teenager?
3. Who decides to act as counsel for Katie?
4. Where was Jacob when Katie visited him?
5. What did Samuel and Katie never do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapters 2-3, who was excited that Ellie had successfully gotten an acquittal for a man who sexually abused several girls, and what did this person do for Ellie?
2. What do Stephen and Ellie discuss on the phone in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 4, why did Ellie call a psychiatrist friend in the middle of the night?
4. What happened on Sunday night in Chapter 5 that reminded Ellie that Katie was still lying about not having a baby and what did it make Ellie wonder?
5. In Chapter 1, why does Ellie Hathaway take Katie's case?
6. What happens when reporters show up to interview the family at their house?
7. In Chapter 5, when Katie recalls moments of her past, she recalled meeting someone at Jacob's graduation. Who was it?
8. When Stephen is annoyed that Ellie missed the interview and embarrassed him, what did Ellie realize?
9. In Chapter 8, why can't Ellie arrange to see Jacob once Leda tells Ellie about Jacob's existence?
10. What does Samuel admit to the bishop in Chapter 7?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)