|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Katie accused of doing?
(a) Killing a neighbor's dog.
(b) Killing her innocent newborn son.
(c) Killing her father.
(d) Killing her brother.
2. What does Ellie do when she returns home from walking around the Fisher property in the evening?
(a) Sits and talks with Katie's parents.
(b) Helps prepare dinner.
(c) Goes to her room to make notes for Katie's defense.
(d) Helps with the evening farm chores.
3. What has the community labeled the baby's death as?
(a) God's Will.
(d) Katie's fault.
4. What does Katie do at the cemetery?
(a) She clings to Ellie and cries.
(b) She falls to her knees and cries.
(c) She flees the cemetery.
(d) She clings to her mother.
5. What do the bishop and the church leaders want Katie to do at the next church meeting?
(a) Not come to the next church meeting.
(b) Explain what happened.
(c) Pray a special prayer.
(d) Confess to her sins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of defense is Ellie contemplating mounting for Katie at the end of Chapter 4?
2. What did Leda explain to Sarah regarding the police believing the baby was murdered?
3. What was the bishop going to ask Samuel to do in Part 1, Chapter 7?
4. Why did Ellie's Aunt Leda leave the Amish community?
5. What died once placed in Katie's care?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when reporters show up to interview the family at their house?
2. What happened on Sunday night in Chapter 5 that reminded Ellie that Katie was still lying about not having a baby and what did it make Ellie wonder?
3. How did Levi, a farm hand, find the baby?
4. What happens to someone who has done something wrong against the Amish code of living?
5. Why does Ellie initially get frustrated and think it will be difficult to defend Katie?
6. In Chapter 1, why does Ellie Hathaway take Katie's case?
7. In Chapter 6, why does Katie agree to confess her sins at the next church meeting as the bishop and church leaders have asked her to do?
8. Why does Leda believe that it is necessary for Sarah to arrange a lawyer for Katie?
9. In Chapter 7, what did Katie recall when Samuel confessed to Katie that he wished the baby was his as well?
10. In Chapters 2-3, who was excited that Ellie had successfully gotten an acquittal for a man who sexually abused several girls, and what did this person do for Ellie?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)