|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ellie practice her opening remarks for?
2. Who tracks down Jacob Fisher to tell him about Katie's child?
3. Who does Ellie have a conference with before putting Katie on the witness stand?
(b) The prosecution.
(c) The pathologist.
(d) The judge.
4. What can Katie not be at the trial?
5. How does Ellie know she is pregnant?
(a) She takes a home pregnancy test.
(b) She feels a baby kicking inside.
(c) She goes to the doctor to be tested.
(d) She just has a gut feeling.
6. What does Ellie use to warn Katie against testifying?
(a) Adam's letters.
(b) Adam's testimony.
(c) Samuel's testimony.
(d) Jacob's experience.
7. Who offered a plea bargain to Ellie?
(a) The psychiatrist.
(b) The pathologist.
(c) The district attorney.
(d) The judge.
8. Who picks everyone up in their cars on the day of the trial?
(a) Ellie and Leda.
(b) Ellie and Coop.
(c) Leda and Coop.
(d) Jacob and Ellie.
9. When the state appointed psychiatrist talks with Katie, what does Katie remember besides her pregnancy?
(a) Disposing of the baby.
(b) The actual birth.
(d) Killing the baby.
10. What causes an uproar in the courtroom?
(a) When Katie confesses to killing the baby.
(b) When Katie says she is in love with two men.
(c) When Ellie claims Katie is insane.
(d) When the prosecution asks their first question of Katie.
11. What happens when the prosecutor cross-examines Samuel?
(a) He stands his ground.
(b) He breaks down and cries.
(c) He professes his love for Katie.
(d) He withdraws and is sullen.
12. What does the prosecution's psychiatrist think Katie is faking?
(c) Being Amish.
(d) Not knowing that killing the baby was wrong.
13. In her closing argument, what does Ellie say Katie is so intent on?
(a) Confessing her sins.
(b) Lying to the jury.
(c) Denying that she killed her baby.
(d) Telling the truth.
14. What does Samuel speak about on the stand?
(a) The Amish way of life and dating.
(b) Katie's character and the Amish way of life.
(c) The Amish way of life and his plans for the future.
(d) Katie's character and his relationship with Katie.
15. What does Katie sign in Part 2, Chapter 17?
(a) A contract with Ellie promising not to testify.
(b) A sworn statement as to the events of the night the baby was born.
(c) A waiver to testify against Ellie's advice.
(d) A last will and testament.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who objected to Jacob remaining a part of the family as much as possible under the bann?
2. What does Katie do at the baby's grave?
3. What infection did the pathologist believe Katie had contracted?
4. Which two characters are alone in the conference room at the end of the day?
5. Who is the first witness on the stand at Katie's trial?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)