|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ellie practice her opening remarks for?
2. What does Ellie ask for money for at the pretrial hearing?
(a) For a new laptop, after hers was ruined at the Fisher farm.
(b) A state appointed psychiatrist.
(c) A rental car to get back and forth from the Fisher farm to the Courthouse during the trial.
(d) A hotel for her and Katie during the trial.
3. Who arranged to be a witness at trial?
4. What does Adam slip out of the witness chair to give Katie?
(b) A hug.
(c) A picture of them from last year.
(d) A letter.
5. Who makes overtures at Katie?
6. Where does Katie stop on the way home?
(a) The barn.
(b) The cemetery.
(d) Samuel's house.
7. What does Katie insist that Ellie ask the judge?
(a) If they can go home for afternoon milking.
(b) If Katie can skip the trial to stay home and do farm work.
(c) If they can start later tomorrow to allow time for the morning milking.
(d) If she can leave early to help till the fields.
8. Who tracks down Jacob Fisher to tell him about Katie's child?
9. What does Ellie invite Stephen to do at the Fischer's?
(a) Stay for dinner.
(b) Watch the trial.
(c) Stay for lunch.
(d) Be Ellie's co-counsel.
10. What does Katie sign in Part 2, Chapter 17?
(a) A waiver to testify against Ellie's advice.
(b) A last will and testament.
(c) A sworn statement as to the events of the night the baby was born.
(d) A contract with Ellie promising not to testify.
11. Who is the third witness on the stand at Katie's trial?
(a) The psychiatrist.
(c) The medical examiner.
(d) The pathologist.
12. What has Jacob been hiding from Katie?
(a) That Jacob isn't really under a bann.
(b) A pile of letters from Adam.
(c) That he doesn't like it when Katie visits.
(d) A pile of letters from Samuel.
13. Who objected to Jacob remaining a part of the family as much as possible under the bann?
(a) His mother.
(b) The elders.
(c) His father.
14. Who offered a plea bargain to Ellie?
(a) The district attorney.
(b) The psychiatrist.
(c) The judge.
(d) The pathologist.
15. What happens on the way out of the courthouse?
(a) Both sides declare they won.
(b) The prosecution is the one one to declare victory.
(c) Ellie is the only one to declare victory.
(d) The media asks Katie questions and Katie runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ellie have a conference with before putting Katie on the witness stand?
2. Why does Katie continue to insist she doesn't know how the baby died?
3. Who ends the relationship between Ellie and Stephen?
4. In her closing argument, what does Ellie say Katie is so intent on?
5. How many years in prison did the plea bargain include?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)