|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening across the road from Grand's building?
2. What is the choice Fr Paneloux talks about in his sermon?
3. What news does Rieux receive next day?
4. Why are many families not allowed to attend the funerals of loved ones?
5. What was Tarrou's father's occupation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'Camus' novel The Plague shows us a hero who isn't exactly heroic.' Do you agree or disagree? What is the conventional idea of 'the hero' and does Dr. Rieux fit in with that idea? Discuss the kinds of heroism depicted in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Weather conditions in Oran are frequently described at important points in the novel. Examine the ways three of these are connected emotionally or thematically with the action and/or characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Usually in a novel there is a network of conflict between characters. While some of this happens in The Plague (think of Rambert's efforts to escape the city), it is minimal. What is the source of conflict in The Plague? Is it internal, external or a combination? How does this conflict arise and how is it worked out?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)