|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rieux weep?
2. With whom is Fr Paneloux billeted?
3. What becomes the last resort for disposal of corpses?
4. For which people has the plague not ended?
5. In his struggle of conscience, who does Rambert resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of The Plague's final paragraph.
2. What is the effect of the child's death upon the other characters?
3. Which characters now volunteer as plague workers?
4. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
5. How can we tell that Tarrou is a force for good in the town?
6. What is unusual about Tarrou's illness?
7. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
8. What gives the people cause for hope in Part 5 Chapter 1?
9. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
10. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Weather conditions in Oran are frequently described at important points in the novel. Examine the ways three of these are connected emotionally or thematically with the action and/or characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Some people are of the opinion that the twentieth century produced no greater novel than The Plague. Why do you think people have said this? In your answer, deal with themes and characters.
Essay Topic 3
The Plague contains few female characters, yet while they might be 'off stage' women are important to the men who are the novel's main characters. In an essay, show how the minds and actions of Rieux, Rambert and Grand are influenced by the women they love.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)