|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strongly motivates Rambert's plan to escape.
2. What does Rieux confide?
3. Tarrou's opinion of Grand is:
4. Why is M. Othon's release from camp delayed?
5. To what does Tarrou compare lawyers and judges?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of man was Jean Tarrou's father?
2. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
3. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
4. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
5. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
6. In Part 4 Chapter 3, what is the situation regarding the plague serum?
7. What gives the people cause for hope in Part 5 Chapter 1?
8. Which characters now volunteer as plague workers?
9. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
10. Account for Cottard's behavior in Part 5 Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'The Plague shows us the way people deal with adversity.' People's responses to adversity are affected by their strength of character, or the lack thereof, as well as their outlook on life. Examine the popular responses to the plague situation and compare these with Dr. Rieux's.
Essay Topic 2
'Camus' novel The Plague shows us a hero who isn't exactly heroic.' Do you agree or disagree? What is the conventional idea of 'the hero' and does Dr. Rieux fit in with that idea? Discuss the kinds of heroism depicted in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Weather conditions in Oran are frequently described at important points in the novel. Examine the ways three of these are connected emotionally or thematically with the action and/or characters in the novel.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)