|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tarrou's opinion of his fellow human beings?
2. Where is M. Othon quarantined?
3. Why are newspaper reports optimistic?
4. Having made his decision, what must Rambert now give up?
5. What is Rieux's opinion about the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
2. What is the effect of the child's death upon the other characters?
3. In Part 4 Chapter 3, what is the situation regarding the plague serum?
4. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
5. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
6. Explain the significance of The Plague's final paragraph.
7. What is the reason for Rambert's decision?
8. What drastic developments are depicted in Part 3 Chapter 1?
9. Do you think Dr. Castel's serum is likely to be of help?
10. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some people are of the opinion that the twentieth century produced no greater novel than The Plague. Why do you think people have said this? In your answer, deal with themes and characters.
Essay Topic 2
Among The Plague's themes is that of moral choice. Explain what is meant by moral choice. What is moral and what is not moral in the context of the plague at Oran? There is much to admire in Rieux, Tarrou and Grand, but is it possible to sympathize at all with Cottard? Write a thoughtful reflective essay.
Essay Topic 3
'The Plague shows us love, loyalty and heroic selflessness.' Discuss with close reference to three characters.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)