|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is M. Othon's release from camp delayed?
2. How has Fr Paneloux assisted the community during the plague?
3. What news does his mother give to Rieux?
4. How is Tarrou reminded of his mother?
5. What is Tarrou's opinion of his fellow human beings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
2. Explain the significance of The Plague's final paragraph.
3. What is Tarrou's philosophy?
4. What gives the people cause for hope in Part 5 Chapter 1?
5. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
6. Comment on the 'reality' behind the phenomenon of the Oran people, now free of the plague, walking the streets.
7. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
8. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
9. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
10. What is unusual about Tarrou's illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'The Plague shows us love, loyalty and heroic selflessness.' Discuss with close reference to three characters.
Essay Topic 2
'Camus' novel The Plague shows us a hero who isn't exactly heroic.' Do you agree or disagree? What is the conventional idea of 'the hero' and does Dr. Rieux fit in with that idea? Discuss the kinds of heroism depicted in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Some people are of the opinion that the twentieth century produced no greater novel than The Plague. Why do you think people have said this? In your answer, deal with themes and characters.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)