|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which trio of men develop a close friendship?
2. Why does Tarrou thank Rieux?
3. Why do workers take on the risky business of burying plague victims?
4. What was Tarrou's father's occupation?
5. With what does Dr. Rieux treat this patient?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How important is character in this novel? Explain your views, referring closely to the text and focusing in depth on two characters.
Essay Topic 2
The blurb on the cover of the Penguin Edition of The Plague (c. 1969) says that the novel 'expresses most clearly the author's basic humanitarianism'. In a detailed essay, account for this point of view.
Essay Topic 3
'The Plague shows us the way people deal with adversity.' People's responses to adversity are affected by their strength of character, or the lack thereof, as well as their outlook on life. Examine the popular responses to the plague situation and compare these with Dr. Rieux's.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)