|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tarrou's father's occupation?
2. Who does Rieux confide in?
3. Why do workers take on the risky business of burying plague victims?
4. Why are newspaper reports optimistic?
5. What has Dr. Castel achieved?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
2. What sort of man was Jean Tarrou's father?
3. Comment on the change in M. Othon.
4. In Part 4 Chapter 3, what is the situation regarding the plague serum?
5. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
6. How can we tell that Tarrou is a force for good in the town?
7. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
8. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
9. What is the reason for Rambert's decision?
10. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'The Plague shows us the way people deal with adversity.' People's responses to adversity are affected by their strength of character, or the lack thereof, as well as their outlook on life. Examine the popular responses to the plague situation and compare these with Dr. Rieux's.
Essay Topic 2
After the death of M. Othon's little boy, the men who have tried to save him are devastated and undergo a change. Choose two of the characters present at the boy's death. Describe the way the characters react at the time. In what ways are they different for the rest of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How important is character in this novel? Explain your views, referring closely to the text and focusing in depth on two characters.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)