|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does his mother give to Rieux?
2. What does Tarrou reveal to Rambert about Rieux?
3. What decison does Rambert make?
4. Why does Rieux weep?
5. Which other character does Tarrou discuss in this part of his journal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of The Plague's final paragraph.
2. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
3. Comment on the 'reality' behind the phenomenon of the Oran people, now free of the plague, walking the streets.
4. Account for Cottard's behavior in Part 5 Chapter 5.
5. What is the effect of the child's death upon the other characters?
6. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
7. Explain the nature of the irony in the beginning of Part 5 Chapter 3.
8. What drastic developments are depicted in Part 3 Chapter 1?
9. Which characters now volunteer as plague workers?
10. In Part 4 Chapter 3, what is the situation regarding the plague serum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Plague includes conflict between certain ideologies and world views. For example, between those who do not believe in Christianity (like Dr. Rieux) and those who do. There is also action that represents the conflict between the interests of the individual and those of society. Select an area of ideological conflict that interests you and discuss the way this is represented in The Plague. Is the conflict resolved?
Essay Topic 2
How important is character in this novel? Explain your views, referring closely to the text and focusing in depth on two characters.
Essay Topic 3
Weather conditions in Oran are frequently described at important points in the novel. Examine the ways three of these are connected emotionally or thematically with the action and/or characters in the novel.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)