|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is at the core of Rambert's problem?
2. What is different about Tarrou's journal at this point?
3. How does Rieux encourage Tarrou?
4. How has Fr Paneloux assisted the community during the plague?
5. How does Rieux break with policy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
2. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
3. Comment on the change in M. Othon.
4. Explain the significance of The Plague's final paragraph.
5. Which characters now volunteer as plague workers?
6. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
7. Account for Cottard's behavior in Part 5 Chapter 5.
8. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
9. In Part 4 Chapter 3, what is the situation regarding the plague serum?
10. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters from the novel, one appealing, the other not so. Compare and contrast these two characters, referring closely to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Dr. Rieux has had to deal with scarcely imaginable tragedy in the wider community. At the very end, when he reasonably expected to return to a normal life, he is hit with personal trady in the deaths of his friend Tarrou and then of his beloved wife. Why is Rieux able to survive all this? What ideas and attitudes does the character of Dr. Rieux symbolise? What does he show to us about the human spirit? Write a thoughtful, detailed essay drawing on the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
'The Plague shows us love, loyalty and heroic selflessness.' Discuss with close reference to three characters.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)