|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is M. Othon's release from camp delayed?
2. Having made his decision, what must Rambert now give up?
3. To what does Dr. Rieux confess?
4. How is Rambert's wife arriving?
5. What does Tarrou reveal to Rambert about Rieux?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
2. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
3. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
4. How can we tell that Tarrou is a force for good in the town?
5. What sort of man was Jean Tarrou's father?
6. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
7. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
8. Comment on the change in M. Othon.
9. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
10. Explain the nature of the irony in the beginning of Part 5 Chapter 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The blurb on the cover of the Penguin Edition of The Plague (c. 1969) says that the novel 'expresses most clearly the author's basic humanitarianism'. In a detailed essay, account for this point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Imagine that you are a member of a school board. Some of the board members wish to remove The Plague by Albert Camus from the school district's reading program as they claim it is too depressing for students and is, furthermore, anti-Christian. Compose the speech you will deliver to defend teaching the novel. What does it contain that is of value to American students?
Essay Topic 3
In your own words, describe the setting of the city of Oran. Do you think this setting is an appropriate one for Camus' novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)