|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prime factor in his decision?
2. What target audience has Fr Paneloux for his special sermon?
3. In what activity has Cottard become involved?
4. Who ecomes general secretary to the squads of volunteers?
5. What important Christian feast is ignored this year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
2. In what way is Cottard shown to be different from other characters in The Plague?
3. Comment on the 'reality' behind the phenomenon of the Oran people, now free of the plague, walking the streets.
4. Comment on the change in M. Othon.
5. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
6. Account for Cottard's behavior in Part 5 Chapter 5.
7. What is the situation in the camps for people in quarantine?
8. Which characters now volunteer as plague workers?
9. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
10. In what ways do Tarrou's plague symptoms first appear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters from the novel, one appealing, the other not so. Compare and contrast these two characters, referring closely to the text.
Essay Topic 2
The Plague depicts people coping with a terrible crisis. It is concerned with separation and loss. Choose three characters from the novel and discuss the way each of them deals with separation and loss.
Essay Topic 3
The blurb on the cover of the Penguin Edition of The Plague (c. 1969) says that the novel 'expresses most clearly the author's basic humanitarianism'. In a detailed essay, account for this point of view.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)