|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Rieux fear?
2. With what does Dr. Rieux treat this patient?
3. How does the city government respond to looting?
4. What news does Rieux receive next day?
5. Why are many families not allowed to attend the funerals of loved ones?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Cottard shown to be different from other characters in The Plague?
2. Explain the significance of The Plague's final paragraph.
3. Comment on the 'reality' behind the phenomenon of the Oran people, now free of the plague, walking the streets.
4. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
5. What is the situation in the camps for people in quarantine?
6. Do you think Dr. Castel's serum is likely to be of help?
7. Why is there a steady supply of workers taking care of burials?
8. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
9. What is the effect of the child's death upon the other characters?
10. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine that you are a member of a school board. Some of the board members wish to remove The Plague by Albert Camus from the school district's reading program as they claim it is too depressing for students and is, furthermore, anti-Christian. Compose the speech you will deliver to defend teaching the novel. What does it contain that is of value to American students?
Essay Topic 2
The Plague contains few female characters, yet while they might be 'off stage' women are important to the men who are the novel's main characters. In an essay, show how the minds and actions of Rieux, Rambert and Grand are influenced by the women they love.
Essay Topic 3
After the death of M. Othon's little boy, the men who have tried to save him are devastated and undergo a change. Choose two of the characters present at the boy's death. Describe the way the characters react at the time. In what ways are they different for the rest of the novel?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)