|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tarrou's father's occupation?
2. What does Rieux do with Grand's manuscript?
3. What news does Rieux receive next day?
4. Who does Rieux confide in?
5. Why are individual burials dispensed with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of The Plague's final paragraph.
2. What is the effect of the child's death upon the other characters?
3. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
4. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
5. What gives the people cause for hope in Part 5 Chapter 1?
6. Comment on the change in M. Othon.
7. What drastic developments are depicted in Part 3 Chapter 1?
8. Explain the nature of the irony in the beginning of Part 5 Chapter 3.
9. Why is there a steady supply of workers taking care of burials?
10. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Dr. Rieux has had to deal with scarcely imaginable tragedy in the wider community. At the very end, when he reasonably expected to return to a normal life, he is hit with personal trady in the deaths of his friend Tarrou and then of his beloved wife. Why is Rieux able to survive all this? What ideas and attitudes does the character of Dr. Rieux symbolise? What does he show to us about the human spirit? Write a thoughtful, detailed essay drawing on the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
The Plague contains few female characters, yet while they might be 'off stage' women are important to the men who are the novel's main characters. In an essay, show how the minds and actions of Rieux, Rambert and Grand are influenced by the women they love.
Essay Topic 3
The Plague depicts people coping with a terrible crisis. It is concerned with separation and loss. Choose three characters from the novel and discuss the way each of them deals with separation and loss.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)