|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do workers take on the risky business of burying plague victims?
2. What does Rieux do with Grand's manuscript?
3. To what does Dr. Rieux confess?
4. What does Rambert anticipate happening when he meets his wife again?
5. What is preventing Rieux's visit to Grand and Cottard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for Rambert's decision?
2. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
3. Comment on the 'reality' behind the phenomenon of the Oran people, now free of the plague, walking the streets.
4. What is the effect of the child's death upon the other characters?
5. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
6. Account for Cottard's behavior in Part 5 Chapter 5.
7. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
8. Explain the nature of the irony in the beginning of Part 5 Chapter 3.
9. Which characters now volunteer as plague workers?
10. How can we tell that Tarrou is a force for good in the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the sub-plots in The Plague. These concern the stories of certain characters. In an essay, show how the stories of characters compel us to be interested in the main plot--the struggle against the antagonist, which is the plague itself.
Essay Topic 2
Some people are of the opinion that the twentieth century produced no greater novel than The Plague. Why do you think people have said this? In your answer, deal with themes and characters.
Essay Topic 3
'Camus' novel The Plague shows us a hero who isn't exactly heroic.' Do you agree or disagree? What is the conventional idea of 'the hero' and does Dr. Rieux fit in with that idea? Discuss the kinds of heroism depicted in the novel.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)