|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Grand taken for treatment?
2. What reason does Rieux give for writing his tale of the plague in Oran?
3. Why does Tarrou thank Rieux?
4. What is Tarrou's opinion of his fellow human beings?
5. Who does Rieux confide in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on the change in M. Othon.
2. Why is there a steady supply of workers taking care of burials?
3. Explain the significance of The Plague's final paragraph.
4. In what way is Cottard shown to be different from other characters in The Plague?
5. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
6. Comment on the 'reality' behind the phenomenon of the Oran people, now free of the plague, walking the streets.
7. Do you think Dr. Castel's serum is likely to be of help?
8. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
9. What is the effect of the child's death upon the other characters?
10. Account for Cottard's behavior in Part 5 Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine that you are a member of a school board. Some of the board members wish to remove The Plague by Albert Camus from the school district's reading program as they claim it is too depressing for students and is, furthermore, anti-Christian. Compose the speech you will deliver to defend teaching the novel. What does it contain that is of value to American students?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters from the novel, one appealing, the other not so. Compare and contrast these two characters, referring closely to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Weather conditions in Oran are frequently described at important points in the novel. Examine the ways three of these are connected emotionally or thematically with the action and/or characters in the novel.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)