|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do workers take on the risky business of burying plague victims?
2. What does the Prefect order?
3. When did Tarrou's mother die?
4. What important Christian feast is ignored this year?
5. What has Dr. Castel achieved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives the people cause for hope in Part 5 Chapter 1?
2. What sort of man was Jean Tarrou's father?
3. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
4. Comment on the change in M. Othon.
5. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
6. In what ways do Tarrou's plague symptoms first appear?
7. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
8. Explain the nature of the irony in the beginning of Part 5 Chapter 3.
9. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
10. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the sub-plots in The Plague. These concern the stories of certain characters. In an essay, show how the stories of characters compel us to be interested in the main plot--the struggle against the antagonist, which is the plague itself.
Essay Topic 2
Usually in a novel there is a network of conflict between characters. While some of this happens in The Plague (think of Rambert's efforts to escape the city), it is minimal. What is the source of conflict in The Plague? Is it internal, external or a combination? How does this conflict arise and how is it worked out?
Essay Topic 3
'The Plague shows us the way people deal with adversity.' People's responses to adversity are affected by their strength of character, or the lack thereof, as well as their outlook on life. Examine the popular responses to the plague situation and compare these with Dr. Rieux's.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)