|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the second way?
2. Why does Rieux weep?
3. Tarrou's opinion of Grand is:
4. What target audience has Fr Paneloux for his special sermon?
5. Why does Tarrou thank Rieux?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
2. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
3. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
4. Comment on the change in M. Othon.
5. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
6. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
7. Explain the significance of The Plague's final paragraph.
8. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
9. In what way is Cottard shown to be different from other characters in The Plague?
10. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some people are of the opinion that the twentieth century produced no greater novel than The Plague. Why do you think people have said this? In your answer, deal with themes and characters.
Essay Topic 2
Imagine that you are a member of a school board. Some of the board members wish to remove The Plague by Albert Camus from the school district's reading program as they claim it is too depressing for students and is, furthermore, anti-Christian. Compose the speech you will deliver to defend teaching the novel. What does it contain that is of value to American students?
Essay Topic 3
After the death of M. Othon's little boy, the men who have tried to save him are devastated and undergo a change. Choose two of the characters present at the boy's death. Describe the way the characters react at the time. In what ways are they different for the rest of the novel?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)