|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rieux do with Grand's manuscript?
2. What error does Rieux think he has made?
3. With what does Dr. Rieux treat this patient?
4. What does Rambert anticipate happening when he meets his wife again?
5. What happens when Rieux tries to get Grand into the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on the change in M. Othon.
2. How can we tell that Tarrou is a force for good in the town?
3. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
4. What is the situation in the camps for people in quarantine?
5. What is Tarrou's philosophy?
6. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
7. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
8. In what way is Cottard shown to be different from other characters in The Plague?
9. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
10. What gives the people cause for hope in Part 5 Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'The Plague shows us love, loyalty and heroic selflessness.' Discuss with close reference to three characters.
Essay Topic 2
The Plague contains few female characters, yet while they might be 'off stage' women are important to the men who are the novel's main characters. In an essay, show how the minds and actions of Rieux, Rambert and Grand are influenced by the women they love.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Tarrou, Grand and Cottard. In what ways do these characters develop during the course of the novel? In what ways are their stories resolved?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)