|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is at the core of Rambert's problem?
2. Which prominent citizen joins the volunteers?
3. What news does his mother give to Rieux?
4. Where is M. Othon quarantined?
5. Why does Tarrou go home with Cottard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Account for Cottard's behavior in Part 5 Chapter 5.
2. What sort of man was Jean Tarrou's father?
3. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
4. In what ways do Tarrou's plague symptoms first appear?
5. Explain the significance of The Plague's final paragraph.
6. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
7. What is Tarrou's philosophy?
8. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
9. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
10. What gives the people cause for hope in Part 5 Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Among The Plague's themes is that of moral choice. Explain what is meant by moral choice. What is moral and what is not moral in the context of the plague at Oran? There is much to admire in Rieux, Tarrou and Grand, but is it possible to sympathize at all with Cottard? Write a thoughtful reflective essay.
Essay Topic 2
How important is character in this novel? Explain your views, referring closely to the text and focusing in depth on two characters.
Essay Topic 3
Some people are of the opinion that the twentieth century produced no greater novel than The Plague. Why do you think people have said this? In your answer, deal with themes and characters.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)