|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes panic in the town?
2. Who preaches the closing sermon at High Mass?
3. What is the problem with the shipment of serum?
4. An unusual thing about the city is that:
5. What else does Dr Rieux muse about in relation to the plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jean Tarrou important in the story?
2. Why is Mme. Rieux concerned about her son?
3. What factors are making life stressful for Dr. Rieux?
4. Why have telegrams become the main means of contact ordinary people now have with the outside world?
5. How does the relationship between Dr. Rieux and M. Grand develop?
6. What literary device does Camus use in Chapter 5 to accentuate meaning?
7. In what way do you think Tarrou and Rieux are of like mind?
8. How does the heatwave further discourage the citizens of Oran?
9. Who is Joseph Grand?
10. What does Fr. Paneloux tell the people in his sermon at High Mass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some people are of the opinion that the twentieth century produced no greater novel than The Plague. Why do you think people have said this? In your answer, deal with themes and characters.
Essay Topic 2
The Plague depicts people coping with a terrible crisis. It is concerned with separation and loss. Choose three characters from the novel and discuss the way each of them deals with separation and loss.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters from the novel, one appealing, the other not so. Compare and contrast these two characters, referring closely to the text.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)