|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what predicament does Rambert find himself?
2. How do people find out about the plague death rate?
3. Why don't all sufferers have hospital treatment?
4. What is the Spaniard's medical condition?
5. Why does Rieux ask Tarrou to do this?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Raymond Rambert?
2. As described in Chapter 7, what are the first steps taken to deal with the crisis?
3. In what era is the story set?
4. What is the popular mood as described in Part 2 Chapter 5?
5. How do people react to Fr. Paneloux's sermon?
6. What factors are making life stressful for Dr. Rieux?
7. Who is Joseph Grand?
8. What does Fr. Paneloux tell the people in his sermon at High Mass?
9. How does the relationship between Dr. Rieux and M. Grand develop?
10. Who is Jean Tarrou?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'The Plague shows us love, loyalty and heroic selflessness.' Discuss with close reference to three characters.
Essay Topic 2
Weather conditions in Oran are frequently described at important points in the novel. Examine the ways three of these are connected emotionally or thematically with the action and/or characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Dr. Rieux has had to deal with scarcely imaginable tragedy in the wider community. At the very end, when he reasonably expected to return to a normal life, he is hit with personal trady in the deaths of his friend Tarrou and then of his beloved wife. Why is Rieux able to survive all this? What ideas and attitudes does the character of Dr. Rieux symbolise? What does he show to us about the human spirit? Write a thoughtful, detailed essay drawing on the novel as a whole.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)