|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the apparent result of this weather condition?
2. What is the focus in the questioning of Cottard?
3. In what predicament does Rambert find himself?
4. What does Rieux ask Jean Tarrou to do for him?
5. This chapter focuses on which character in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main function of the city of Oran?
2. What is the popular mood as described in Part 2 Chapter 5?
3. Who is Jean Tarrou?
4. What is the situation with plague serum?
5. When does the Prefect finally take action?
6. Why have telegrams become the main means of contact ordinary people now have with the outside world?
7. Who is Joseph Grand?
8. In Part 2 Chapter 3, what measure is taken by the town leaders?
9. What does Dr. Rieux muse about in Part 1 Chapter 5?
10. What does Fr. Paneloux tell the people in his sermon at High Mass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'The Plague shows us love, loyalty and heroic selflessness.' Discuss with close reference to three characters.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the sub-plots in The Plague. These concern the stories of certain characters. In an essay, show how the stories of characters compel us to be interested in the main plot--the struggle against the antagonist, which is the plague itself.
Essay Topic 3
Some people are of the opinion that the twentieth century produced no greater novel than The Plague. Why do you think people have said this? In your answer, deal with themes and characters.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)