|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does Dr Rieux muse about in relation to the plague?
2. What methods does the character use to attain the goal or goals?
3. What action has Dr. Rieux already taken?
4. What weather conditions set in after the sermon?
5. Why is use of the telephone severely restricted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is news of the plague kept from the people?
2. How does the relationship between Dr. Rieux and M. Grand develop?
3. In what era is the story set?
4. Why is Jean Tarrou important in the story?
5. What is the situation with plague serum?
6. Why have telegrams become the main means of contact ordinary people now have with the outside world?
7. What is the popular mood as described in Part 2 Chapter 5?
8. What literary device does Camus use in Chapter 5 to accentuate meaning?
9. What does Dr. Rieux muse about in Part 1 Chapter 5?
10. Which character is very persistent in Part 2 Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'Camus' novel The Plague shows us a hero who isn't exactly heroic.' Do you agree or disagree? What is the conventional idea of 'the hero' and does Dr. Rieux fit in with that idea? Discuss the kinds of heroism depicted in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The Plague contains few female characters, yet while they might be 'off stage' women are important to the men who are the novel's main characters. In an essay, show how the minds and actions of Rieux, Rambert and Grand are influenced by the women they love.
Essay Topic 3
How important is character in this novel? Explain your views, referring closely to the text and focusing in depth on two characters.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)