|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jean Tarrou?
2. What important information is given in the notices?
3. What does Grand reveal?
4. The narrator tells us that the city is:
5. What is Tarrou's response to the ideas in the High Mass sermon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship between Dr. Rieux and M. Grand develop?
2. What literary device does Camus use in Chapter 5 to accentuate meaning?
3. What does M. Grand reveal in Part 2 Chapter 4?
4. Why have telegrams become the main means of contact ordinary people now have with the outside world?
5. How does the heatwave further discourage the citizens of Oran?
6. What is the main function of the city of Oran?
7. Why is Cottard questioned by the police?
8. Who is Raymond Rambert?
9. What is the popular mood as described in Part 2 Chapter 5?
10. What does Tarrou record about M. Othon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the sub-plots in The Plague. These concern the stories of certain characters. In an essay, show how the stories of characters compel us to be interested in the main plot--the struggle against the antagonist, which is the plague itself.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Rambert and Rieux. In what ways do these characters develop during the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Usually in a novel there is a network of conflict between characters. While some of this happens in The Plague (think of Rambert's efforts to escape the city), it is minimal. What is the source of conflict in The Plague? Is it internal, external or a combination? How does this conflict arise and how is it worked out?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)