|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do people find out about the plague death rate?
2. What is NOT a symptom of the plague?
3. How many people have contracted the disease and recovered?
4. Who removes the dead rat from Dr Rieux's landing?
5. In what way has Grand's marriage affected his future?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what era is the story set?
2. How does the relationship between Dr. Rieux and M. Grand develop?
3. As described in Chapter 7, what are the first steps taken to deal with the crisis?
4. What is the main function of the city of Oran?
5. What does Dr. Rieux muse about in Part 1 Chapter 5?
6. How do people react to Fr. Paneloux's sermon?
7. When does the Prefect finally take action?
8. Who is Jean Tarrou?
9. How does the heatwave further discourage the citizens of Oran?
10. What factors are making life stressful for Dr. Rieux?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Usually in a novel there is a network of conflict between characters. While some of this happens in The Plague (think of Rambert's efforts to escape the city), it is minimal. What is the source of conflict in The Plague? Is it internal, external or a combination? How does this conflict arise and how is it worked out?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters from the novel, one appealing, the other not so. Compare and contrast these two characters, referring closely to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the sub-plots in The Plague. These concern the stories of certain characters. In an essay, show how the stories of characters compel us to be interested in the main plot--the struggle against the antagonist, which is the plague itself.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)