Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Grand give for his problem?
2. What is the town's response to the Week of Prayer?
3. In what predicament does Rambert find himself?
4. What is Fr Paneloux's religious order?
5. How do people express their feelings after the sermon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is news of the plague kept from the people?
2. In what ways do Tarrou's plague symptoms first appear?
3. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
4. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
5. What is the main function of the city of Oran?
6. What is the problem about the announcements being made about the disease?
7. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
8. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
9. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
10. How do people react to Fr. Paneloux's sermon?
Essay Topic 1
How important is character in this novel? Explain your views, referring closely to the text and focusing in depth on two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Rambert and Rieux. In what ways do these characters develop during the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the sub-plots in The Plague. These concern the stories of certain characters. In an essay, show how the stories of characters compel us to be interested in the main plot--the struggle against the antagonist, which is the plague itself.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)