|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interesting character enters the novel at this point?
2. In what way are people allowed to communicate with those outside the city?
3. What action has Dr. Rieux already taken?
4. In what era is the story set?
5. What reason does Grand give for his problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
2. Do you think Dr. Castel's serum is likely to be of help?
3. What does Dr. Rieux muse about in Part 1 Chapter 5?
4. Account for Cottard's behavior in Part 5 Chapter 5.
5. What drastic developments are depicted in Part 3 Chapter 1?
6. In what era is the story set?
7. Why is Jean Tarrou important in the story?
8. In Part 2 Chapter 3, what measure is taken by the town leaders?
9. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
10. What is the popular mood as described in Part 2 Chapter 5?
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters from the novel, one appealing, the other not so. Compare and contrast these two characters, referring closely to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Weather conditions in Oran are frequently described at important points in the novel. Examine the ways three of these are connected emotionally or thematically with the action and/or characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
'Camus' novel The Plague shows us a hero who isn't exactly heroic.' Do you agree or disagree? What is the conventional idea of 'the hero' and does Dr. Rieux fit in with that idea? Discuss the kinds of heroism depicted in the novel.
This section contains 1,558 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)