|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rieux ask Tarrou to do this?
2. How is the city situated geographically?
3. The narrator tells us that the city is:
4. Who must Rieux take with him when he has to evacuate a plague victim?
5. What else does Dr Rieux muse about in relation to the plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dr. Rieux worried about in Chapter 2?
2. What is the problem about the announcements being made about the disease?
3. In what era is the story set?
4. Why is Cottard questioned by the police?
5. What does Tarrou record about M. Othon?
6. Why is Mme. Rieux concerned about her son?
7. In what way do you think Tarrou and Rieux are of like mind?
8. What does Dr. Rieux muse about in Part 1 Chapter 5?
9. What does M. Grand reveal in Part 2 Chapter 4?
10. When does the Prefect finally take action?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters from the novel, one appealing, the other not so. Compare and contrast these two characters, referring closely to the text.
Essay Topic 2
'Camus' novel The Plague shows us a hero who isn't exactly heroic.' Do you agree or disagree? What is the conventional idea of 'the hero' and does Dr. Rieux fit in with that idea? Discuss the kinds of heroism depicted in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the sub-plots in The Plague. These concern the stories of certain characters. In an essay, show how the stories of characters compel us to be interested in the main plot--the struggle against the antagonist, which is the plague itself.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)