Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Grand give for his problem?
2. What is the town's response to the Week of Prayer?
3. In what predicament does Rambert find himself?
4. What is Fr Paneloux's religious order?
5. How do people express their feelings after the sermon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is news of the plague kept from the people?
2. In what ways do Tarrou's plague symptoms first appear?
3. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
4. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
5. What is the main function of the city of Oran?
6. What is the problem about the announcements being made about the disease?
7. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
8. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
9. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
10. How do people react to Fr. Paneloux's sermon?
'The Plague shows us the way people deal with adversity.' People's responses to adversity are affected by their strength of character, or the lack thereof, as well as their outlook on life. Examine the popular responses to the plague situation and compare these with Dr. Rieux's.
Some people are of the opinion that the twentieth century produced no greater novel than The Plague. Why do you think people have said this? In your answer, deal with themes and characters.
How important is character in this novel? Explain your views, referring closely to the text and focusing in depth on two characters.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)