|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Rieux urge the committee to do?
2. What is M. Grand's job?
3. What is the problem with the shipment of serum?
4. What sort of communication is forbidden?
5. What is Rieux's attitude to religion and God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What literary device does Camus use in Chapter 5 to accentuate meaning?
2. Who is Jean Tarrou?
3. How does the heatwave further discourage the citizens of Oran?
4. Why is Mme. Rieux concerned about her son?
5. In Part 2 Chapter 3, what measure is taken by the town leaders?
6. What is the popular mood as described in Part 2 Chapter 5?
7. How do people react to Fr. Paneloux's sermon?
8. In what way do you think Tarrou and Rieux are of like mind?
9. Why is news of the plague kept from the people?
10. What does Dr. Rieux muse about in Part 1 Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Weather conditions in Oran are frequently described at important points in the novel. Examine the ways three of these are connected emotionally or thematically with the action and/or characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
'Camus' novel The Plague shows us a hero who isn't exactly heroic.' Do you agree or disagree? What is the conventional idea of 'the hero' and does Dr. Rieux fit in with that idea? Discuss the kinds of heroism depicted in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Usually in a novel there is a network of conflict between characters. While some of this happens in The Plague (think of Rambert's efforts to escape the city), it is minimal. What is the source of conflict in The Plague? Is it internal, external or a combination? How does this conflict arise and how is it worked out?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)