|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way has Grand's marriage affected his future?
2. An unusual thing about the city is that:
3. How does the Spaniard spend his days?
4. What methods does the character use to attain the goal or goals?
5. What problem has the Prefect to deal with, making his job harder?
Short Essay Questions
1. As described in Chapter 7, what are the first steps taken to deal with the crisis?
2. What drastic developments are depicted in Part 3 Chapter 1?
3. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
4. How can we tell that Tarrou is a force for good in the town?
5. Explain the nature of the irony in the beginning of Part 5 Chapter 3.
6. In Part 4 Chapter 3, what is the situation regarding the plague serum?
7. What does Fr. Paneloux tell the people in his sermon at High Mass?
8. Explain the significance of The Plague's final paragraph.
9. What does M. Grand reveal in Part 2 Chapter 4?
10. What is the reason for Rambert's decision?
Essay Topic 1
'Camus' novel The Plague shows us a hero who isn't exactly heroic.' Do you agree or disagree? What is the conventional idea of 'the hero' and does Dr. Rieux fit in with that idea? Discuss the kinds of heroism depicted in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
'The Plague shows us the way people deal with adversity.' People's responses to adversity are affected by their strength of character, or the lack thereof, as well as their outlook on life. Examine the popular responses to the plague situation and compare these with Dr. Rieux's.
Essay Topic 3
In your own words, describe the setting of the city of Oran. Do you think this setting is an appropriate one for Camus' novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,707 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)