|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What point is Camus making through this chapter?
2. What reason does Grand give for his problem?
3. What methods does the character use to attain the goal or goals?
4. What is the apparent result of this weather condition?
5. What is M. Grand's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is news of the plague kept from the people?
2. What gives the people cause for hope in Part 5 Chapter 1?
3. In what way do you think Tarrou and Rieux are of like mind?
4. What drastic developments are depicted in Part 3 Chapter 1?
5. What is the main function of the city of Oran?
6. How does the heatwave further discourage the citizens of Oran?
7. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
8. In what ways do Tarrou's plague symptoms first appear?
9. Explain the nature of the irony in the beginning of Part 5 Chapter 3.
10. What does Dr. Rieux muse about in Part 1 Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Among The Plague's themes is that of moral choice. Explain what is meant by moral choice. What is moral and what is not moral in the context of the plague at Oran? There is much to admire in Rieux, Tarrou and Grand, but is it possible to sympathize at all with Cottard? Write a thoughtful reflective essay.
Essay Topic 2
In your own words, describe the setting of the city of Oran. Do you think this setting is an appropriate one for Camus' novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The blurb on the cover of the Penguin Edition of The Plague (c. 1969) says that the novel 'expresses most clearly the author's basic humanitarianism'. In a detailed essay, account for this point of view.
This section contains 1,558 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)