|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rieux called out to treat M. Cottard?
2. Why is M. Grand an interesting character?
3. By what means do influential town leaders hope to resist the plague?
4. What is the focus in the questioning of Cottard?
5. Who makes the order to close the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the popular mood as described in Part 2 Chapter 5?
2. What does M. Grand reveal in Part 2 Chapter 4?
3. How does the heatwave further discourage the citizens of Oran?
4. What does Dr. Rieux muse about in Part 1 Chapter 5?
5. What is the situation with plague serum?
6. Why is Mme. Rieux concerned about her son?
7. Who is Joseph Grand?
8. Which character is very persistent in Part 2 Chapter 5?
9. In what way do you think Tarrou and Rieux are of like mind?
10. In Part 2 Chapter 3, what measure is taken by the town leaders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Plague includes conflict between certain ideologies and world views. For example, between those who do not believe in Christianity (like Dr. Rieux) and those who do. There is also action that represents the conflict between the interests of the individual and those of society. Select an area of ideological conflict that interests you and discuss the way this is represented in The Plague. Is the conflict resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Rambert and Rieux. In what ways do these characters develop during the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The blurb on the cover of the Penguin Edition of The Plague (c. 1969) says that the novel 'expresses most clearly the author's basic humanitarianism'. In a detailed essay, account for this point of view.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)