|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what predicament does Rambert find himself?
2. What else does Dr Rieux muse about in relation to the plague?
3. What methods does the character use to attain the goal or goals?
4. What interesting character enters the novel at this point?
5. How is the city situated geographically?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character is very persistent in Part 2 Chapter 5?
2. What literary device does Camus use in Chapter 5 to accentuate meaning?
3. What do you think is interesting about Grand?
4. Who is Joseph Grand?
5. As described in Chapter 7, what are the first steps taken to deal with the crisis?
6. In Part 2 Chapter 3, what measure is taken by the town leaders?
7. Who is Jean Tarrou?
8. What is the problem about the announcements being made about the disease?
9. What is the main function of the city of Oran?
10. What does M. Grand reveal in Part 2 Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Tarrou, Grand and Cottard. In what ways do these characters develop during the course of the novel? In what ways are their stories resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Dr. Rieux has had to deal with scarcely imaginable tragedy in the wider community. At the very end, when he reasonably expected to return to a normal life, he is hit with personal trady in the deaths of his friend Tarrou and then of his beloved wife. Why is Rieux able to survive all this? What ideas and attitudes does the character of Dr. Rieux symbolise? What does he show to us about the human spirit? Write a thoughtful, detailed essay drawing on the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
The Plague depicts people coping with a terrible crisis. It is concerned with separation and loss. Choose three characters from the novel and discuss the way each of them deals with separation and loss.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)