|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one result of the sealed city?
2. Who is the first victim of the plague?
3. Why has the journalist Raymod Rambert come to Oran?
4. What human attitude concerns Rieux?
5. What does Dr. Rieux urge the committee to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joseph Grand?
2. What factors are making life stressful for Dr. Rieux?
3. What does Tarrou record about M. Othon?
4. How do people react to Fr. Paneloux's sermon?
5. In Part 2 Chapter 3, what measure is taken by the town leaders?
6. Who is Jean Tarrou?
7. Why is Jean Tarrou important in the story?
8. What does Fr. Paneloux tell the people in his sermon at High Mass?
9. What do you think is interesting about Grand?
10. What literary device does Camus use in Chapter 5 to accentuate meaning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Plague includes conflict between certain ideologies and world views. For example, between those who do not believe in Christianity (like Dr. Rieux) and those who do. There is also action that represents the conflict between the interests of the individual and those of society. Select an area of ideological conflict that interests you and discuss the way this is represented in The Plague. Is the conflict resolved?
Essay Topic 2
How important is character in this novel? Explain your views, referring closely to the text and focusing in depth on two characters.
Essay Topic 3
The blurb on the cover of the Penguin Edition of The Plague (c. 1969) says that the novel 'expresses most clearly the author's basic humanitarianism'. In a detailed essay, account for this point of view.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)