Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Grand give for his problem?
2. What is the town's response to the Week of Prayer?
3. In what predicament does Rambert find himself?
4. What is Fr Paneloux's religious order?
5. How do people express their feelings after the sermon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is news of the plague kept from the people?
2. In what ways do Tarrou's plague symptoms first appear?
3. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
4. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
5. What is the main function of the city of Oran?
6. What is the problem about the announcements being made about the disease?
7. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
8. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
9. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
10. How do people react to Fr. Paneloux's sermon?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Dr. Rieux has had to deal with scarcely imaginable tragedy in the wider community. At the very end, when he reasonably expected to return to a normal life, he is hit with personal trady in the deaths of his friend Tarrou and then of his beloved wife. Why is Rieux able to survive all this? What ideas and attitudes does the character of Dr. Rieux symbolise? What does he show to us about the human spirit? Write a thoughtful, detailed essay drawing on the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
'The Plague shows us the way people deal with adversity.' People's responses to adversity are affected by their strength of character, or the lack thereof, as well as their outlook on life. Examine the popular responses to the plague situation and compare these with Dr. Rieux's.
Essay Topic 3
How important is character in this novel? Explain your views, referring closely to the text and focusing in depth on two characters.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)