|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main message of the closing sermon at High Mass?
2. Why is Rieux called out to treat M. Cottard?
3. Who makes the order to close the town?
4. In what important way has the plague changed?
5. What sight disturbs Rieux as he drives home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character is very persistent in Part 2 Chapter 5?
2. What do you think is interesting about Grand?
3. Who is Joseph Grand?
4. In what way do you think Tarrou and Rieux are of like mind?
5. What is one result of the sudden closing of the city gates?
6. What factors are making life stressful for Dr. Rieux?
7. Why is news of the plague kept from the people?
8. Why is Mme. Rieux concerned about her son?
9. How do people react to Fr. Paneloux's sermon?
10. What is the main function of the city of Oran?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Weather conditions in Oran are frequently described at important points in the novel. Examine the ways three of these are connected emotionally or thematically with the action and/or characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
'The Plague shows us love, loyalty and heroic selflessness.' Discuss with close reference to three characters.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters from the novel, one appealing, the other not so. Compare and contrast these two characters, referring closely to the text.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)