|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do notices about the disease appear?
2. Who is also in attendance when Cottard is questioned?
3. What important information is given in the notices?
4. What does Tarrou say about Othon as a father?
5. Who comes with M. Joseph Grand to see Dr Rieux?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mme. Rieux concerned about her son?
2. What does M. Grand reveal in Part 2 Chapter 4?
3. Who is Joseph Grand?
4. What does Tarrou record about M. Othon?
5. Why have telegrams become the main means of contact ordinary people now have with the outside world?
6. Why is news of the plague kept from the people?
7. As described in Chapter 7, what are the first steps taken to deal with the crisis?
8. How do people react to Fr. Paneloux's sermon?
9. In what way do you think Tarrou and Rieux are of like mind?
10. What does Dr. Rieux muse about in Part 1 Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'The Plague shows us love, loyalty and heroic selflessness.' Discuss with close reference to three characters.
Essay Topic 2
Weather conditions in Oran are frequently described at important points in the novel. Examine the ways three of these are connected emotionally or thematically with the action and/or characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How important is character in this novel? Explain your views, referring closely to the text and focusing in depth on two characters.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)