|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is now an important plague victim?
(a) Dr. Rieux's mother.
(b) M Othon's wife.
(c) M. Othon's little boy.
(d) Dr. Castel.
2. Which voice is now telling the story?
(a) The original narrator.
(b) Raymond Rambert.
(c) Joseph Grand.
(d) Rieux's mother.
3. What is Tarrou's opinion of his fellow human beings?
(a) He believes they lack courage.
(b) He believes they are more selfish than he is.
(c) He beieves they are more good than bad.
(d) He believes they are more bad than good.
4. What strongly motivates Rambert's plan to escape.
(a) Fear of the plague.
(b) Fear he will lose his job.
(c) Love for a woman.
(d) Self-love and preservation.
5. Who receives an invitation to the sermon?
(a) M. Cottard.
(b) Dr. Rieux.
(c) Dr. Castel.
(d) The Prefect.
6. What is happening across the road from Grand's building?
(a) Someone is firing shots into the street.
(b) Someone is threatening to commit suicide.
(c) Someone has taken a hostage onto the roof.
(d) There is a fire.
7. Which other character does Tarrou discuss in this part of his journal?
(a) M. Othon.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) M. Grand.
(d) Fr, Paneloux.
8. What becomes the last resort for disposal of corpses?
(a) Burial at sea.
(c) Taken to a new cemetery in the desert.
(d) Mass burial.
9. What was Tarrou's father's occupation?
(a) He was an undertaker.
(b) He was a prosecuting attorney.
(c) He was a concert pianist.
(d) He was a doctor.
10. What happens when Rieux tries to get Grand into the car?
(a) Rieux has to hit him to make him keep quiet.
(b) Grand takes the car keys and runs away.
(c) Grand hits him.
(d) Grand runs away, then falls over.
11. Where is M. Othon quarantined?
(a) A hospital.
(b) In the city jail.
(c) A camp.
(d) His home.
12. What is taking place in the town?
(a) Street races.
(c) People are visiting graves of plague victims.
(d) Joyful celebration.
13. Why does Rieux weep?
(a) He misses his wife.
(b) He feels he has wasted his life.
(c) For the loss of his friend and for his own medical impotence.
(d) His mother is ill.
14. How is Tarrou reminded of his mother?
(a) He sees a portrait of Rieux's wife and sees a resemblance.
(b) Madame Rieux is quite similar..
(c) A cafe waitress.
(d) Mme Othon is quite similar.
15. What does Rieux do with Grand's manuscript?
(a) He burns it, only because Grand demands it.
(b) He accidentally knocks it into the fire.
(c) He reads it and offers to find Grand a literary agent.
(d) He burns it out of spite.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Fr Paneloux billeted?
2. What makes Tarrou and Rieux very conscious of their isolation?
3. Why does Tarrou go home with Cottard?
4. How did Tarrou respond to his father's court performance?
5. How does the city government respond to looting?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)