|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rieux weep?
(a) His mother is ill.
(b) For the loss of his friend and for his own medical impotence.
(c) He misses his wife.
(d) He feels he has wasted his life.
2. What error does Rieux think he has made?
(a) He has counted too much on his mother.
(b) He has counted too much on time.
(c) He has counted too much on Castel's serum.
(d) He has given Tarrou the wrong serum.
3. When did Tarrou's mother die?
(a) Ten years previously.
(b) When Tarrou was ten.
(c) When Tarrou was fifteen.
(d) Two years previously.
4. What is the choice Fr Paneloux talks about in his sermon?
(a) Treating the plague or letting it run its course in patients.
(b) Losing faith or sacrificing oneself for it.
(c) Choice between a secular and a religious life.
(d) Trusting God or trusting in yourself and Science.
5. What is taking place in the town?
(a) People are visiting graves of plague victims.
(b) Street races.
(d) Joyful celebration.
6. Tarrou's opinion of Grand is:
(a) That he is unlikeable and annoying.
(b) That he is nondescript.
(c) That he is arrogant and controlling.
(d) That he is a man of quiet courage.
7. What does Rieux confide?
(a) That he is in despair and contemplating suicide.
(b) That he has been profiteering from the plague.
(c) That his wife is getting much better.
(d) That his wife's condition has worsened.
8. To what does Dr. Rieux confess?
(a) That he has stolen Tarrou's journal.
(b) That he did not love his wife.
(c) That he is a secret believer in Christianity.
(d) That he is the narrator.
9. Which trio of men develop a close friendship?
(a) Cottard, Rieux and Cottard.
(b) Rieux, Tarrou and Grand.
(c) Rieux, Fr, Paneloux and Rambert
(d) Tarrou, Othon and Cottard.
10. How has Fr Paneloux assisted the community during the plague?
(a) He has worked in hospitals.
(b) He has preached supportive sermons.
(c) He has said Mass every day.
(d) He has researched ancient inscriptions for plague remedies.
11. How does Rieux find out about his wife's condition?
(a) He calls the house physician.
(b) He sends a telegram.
(c) He calls his wife.
(d) He writes to the sanatorium,
12. What is Cottard's reaction to the officials?
(a) He asks them to join him for dinner.
(b) He tells them he has plague.
(c) He offers them cigarettes.
(d) He flees.
13. What criticism is made of Fr Paneloux after the sermon?
(a) That he can't be heard at the back of the church.
(b) That he has committed sacrilege.
(c) That he has committed simony.
(d) That he has committed polysemy.
14. What happens when Rieux tries to get Grand into the car?
(a) Rieux has to hit him to make him keep quiet.
(b) Grand takes the car keys and runs away.
(c) Grand runs away, then falls over.
(d) Grand hits him.
15. What important Christian feast is ignored this year?
(a) All Souls' Day.
(c) The Feast of the Assumption.
Short Answer Questions
1. Having made his decision, what must Rambert now give up?
2. What becomes the last resort for disposal of corpses?
3. Why are newspaper reports optimistic?
4. What does Tarrou reveal to Rambert about Rieux?
5. Who is the worst affected emotionally when the patient dies?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)