|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Rieux fear?
(a) That he will himself catch the plague.
(b) That corpses will be piled in the streets.
(c) That the church will make a lot of money from the burials.
(d) That rats will eat the corpses.
2. What strongly motivates Rambert's plan to escape.
(a) Fear he will lose his job.
(b) Self-love and preservation.
(c) Love for a woman.
(d) Fear of the plague.
3. What does the Prefect order?
(a) A week of prayer.
(b) A bonfire and fireworks night.
(c) That food stores should open on Sundays.
(d) The street lighting is to be turned on again.
4. Who does Rieux confide in?
(a) Fr Paneloux
(c) His mother.
5. Who is now an important plague victim?
(a) Dr. Castel.
(b) Dr. Rieux's mother.
(c) M Othon's wife.
(d) M. Othon's little boy.
6. What becomes the last resort for disposal of corpses?
(a) Burial at sea.
(c) Taken to a new cemetery in the desert.
(d) Mass burial.
7. What does Tarrou reveal to Rambert about Rieux?
(a) That his wife is being unfaithful and has left.
(b) That he is profiteering from the plague.
(c) That his wife is in a sanatorium in another city.
(d) That he has been unfaithful and his wife has left him.
8. What important Christian feast is ignored this year?
(c) All Souls' Day.
(d) The Feast of the Assumption.
9. Why does Tarrou go home with Cottard?
(a) Cottard is unwell.
(b) Cottard insists.
(c) He is invited for dinner.
(d) Cottard has a present for him.
10. What happens when the man shoots into the street?
(a) A young woman is killed.
(b) Grand is killed.
(c) A dog is killed.
(d) He runs out of ammunition.
11. Who is the gunman whom the police arrest?
(a) The asthma patient.
(b) Raymond Rambert.
(d) A municipal employee.
12. Who is the worst affected emotionally when the patient dies?
(a) Dr. Rieux.
(b) Fr Paneloux.
(c) M. Tarrou
(d) M. Othon
13. What decison does Rambert make?
(a) To buy a new apartment with a view over the bay.
(b) He decides to stay and help to fight the plague.
(c) To smuggle medicines into Oran.
(d) To escape and return to his wife.
14. What error does Rieux think he has made?
(a) He has counted too much on Castel's serum.
(b) He has given Tarrou the wrong serum.
(c) He has counted too much on his mother.
(d) He has counted too much on time.
15. What is Rieux's opinion about the case?
(a) That the boy is malingering.
(b) That it is mild.
(c) That the boy has a good chance of recovery.
(d) That it is hopeless.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what activity has Cottard become involved?
2. Which trio of men develop a close friendship?
3. Why is M. Othon's release from camp delayed?
4. How is Rambert's wife arriving?
5. Why do workers take on the risky business of burying plague victims?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)