|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decison does Rambert make?
(a) To buy a new apartment with a view over the bay.
(b) He decides to stay and help to fight the plague.
(c) To escape and return to his wife.
(d) To smuggle medicines into Oran.
2. What news does his mother give to Rieux?
(a) That she is sick.
(b) That she is leaving for Paris.
(c) That Tarrou is sick.
(d) That the trains are running again.
3. What does the Prefect order?
(a) The street lighting is to be turned on again.
(b) A week of prayer.
(c) A bonfire and fireworks night.
(d) That food stores should open on Sundays.
4. How is M. Othon's predicament solved?
(a) Rieux intervenes and sorts things out.
(b) Rambert threatens to write a news article about it.
(c) The Prefect intervenes and sorts things out.
(d) The mislaid paperwork is found.
5. What is Cottard's reaction to the officials?
(a) He tells them he has plague.
(b) He offers them cigarettes.
(c) He flees.
(d) He asks them to join him for dinner.
6. What is the reason for cautious optimism in the town?
(a) Plague deaths are way down.
(b) The Prefect has been seen smiling.
(c) A cure might have been found for the plague.
(d) The plague has disappeared.
7. In what activity has Cottard become involved?
(a) Volunteering to assist in the fight against the plague.
(b) Smuggling. (Profiteering from the plague.)
(c) Writing a novel.
(d) Running guns to Mardeilles.
8. What is the situation with food supply?
(a) It is thought that this will soon improve.
(b) There is no more flour for brioche.
(c) The town is about to run out of food.
(d) Food needs to be imported.
9. What was the elder Tarrou's obsession?
(a) The railway directory.
(b) Watching court cases.
(d) Model trains.
10. What reason does Rieux give for writing his tale of the plague in Oran?
(a) As a gift for his mother and in memory of his wife.
(b) To warn people about rats.
(c) So everyone will know what an important person he has been.
(d) As a record of those who were determined to resist the plague and heal its victims.
11. How did Tarrou respond to his father's court performance?
(a) He thought the accused deserved his fate.
(b) He was embarrassed.
(c) He was very proud of his father.
(d) He had compassion for the accused.
12. What is happening across the road from Grand's building?
(a) Someone has taken a hostage onto the roof.
(b) There is a fire.
(c) Someone is firing shots into the street.
(d) Someone is threatening to commit suicide.
13. What has Dr. Castel achieved?
(a) He has produced a serum suitable for local conditions.
(b) He has brokered a deal with France to manufacture serum.
(c) He has isolated the plague bacillus for the first time.
(d) He has inoculated more people than Dr. Rieux.
14. What is taking place in the town?
(a) People are visiting graves of plague victims.
(b) Street races.
(c) Joyful celebration.
15. Tarrou's opinion of Grand is:
(a) That he is nondescript.
(b) That he is unlikeable and annoying.
(c) That he is arrogant and controlling.
(d) That he is a man of quiet courage.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rieux break with policy?
2. What additional friendship has Tarrou made?
3. What strongly motivates Rambert's plan to escape.
4. What does Dr. Rieux fear?
5. What happens when Rieux tries to get Grand into the car?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)