|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which trio of men develop a close friendship?
(a) Rieux, Tarrou and Grand.
(b) Rieux, Fr, Paneloux and Rambert
(c) Tarrou, Othon and Cottard.
(d) Cottard, Rieux and Cottard.
2. Where is Grand taken for treatment?
(a) Rieux and Tarrou look after him at home.
(b) A military hospital.
(c) The Catholic hospital.
(d) Dr Rieux's home.
3. What is the situation with food supply?
(a) There is no more flour for brioche.
(b) It is thought that this will soon improve.
(c) Food needs to be imported.
(d) The town is about to run out of food.
4. What happens on January 25th?
(a) There is a parade with fireworks.
(b) Authorities announce that the epidemic is over.
(c) The city gates are reopened.
(d) Dr. Rieux turns 40.
5. How do his friends try to help Grand?
(a) They help him with his grocery shopping.
(b) They help him try to find a satisfactory opening sentence for his novel.
(c) They try to organise a promotion for him at work.
(d) They smuggle in paper for his novel-writing.
6. Which other character does Tarrou discuss in this part of his journal?
(a) M. Grand.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) M. Othon.
(d) Fr, Paneloux.
7. What is taking place in the town?
(a) Joyful celebration.
(c) Street races.
(d) People are visiting graves of plague victims.
8. What does the Prefect order?
(a) A bonfire and fireworks night.
(b) The street lighting is to be turned on again.
(c) That food stores should open on Sundays.
(d) A week of prayer.
9. What was Tarrou's father's occupation?
(a) He was a prosecuting attorney.
(b) He was a concert pianist.
(c) He was a doctor.
(d) He was an undertaker.
10. What does Tarrou reveal to Rambert about Rieux?
(a) That his wife is being unfaithful and has left.
(b) That he is profiteering from the plague.
(c) That his wife is in a sanatorium in another city.
(d) That he has been unfaithful and his wife has left him.
11. To what does Tarrou compare lawyers and judges?
(b) The plague.
(c) The elders of the Church.
12. When did Tarrou's mother die?
(a) Two years previously.
(b) Ten years previously.
(c) When Tarrou was ten.
(d) When Tarrou was fifteen.
13. Why is M. Othon's release from camp delayed?
(a) There has been a mistake.
(b) He has upset the Prefect.
(c) There is suspicion that he has plague.
(d) He has not done the paperwork.
14. What does Dr. Rieux fear?
(a) That corpses will be piled in the streets.
(b) That the church will make a lot of money from the burials.
(c) That rats will eat the corpses.
(d) That he will himself catch the plague.
15. Why do workers take on the risky business of burying plague victims?
(a) People are public-spirited and feel an obligation.
(b) The pay is high.
(c) They like the outdoors and exercise.
(d) They get free uniforms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the choice Fr Paneloux talks about in his sermon?
2. How does Rieux find out about his wife's condition?
3. The plague is changing in two ways. What is the first way?
4. What is the reason for cautious optimism in the town?
5. Why does Rieux weep?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)