|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rieux confide in?
(b) Fr Paneloux
(c) His mother.
2. What is Dr. Castel's work?
(a) Developing a more effective plague serum.
(b) Undertaking research about the rat population.
(c) He is a hospital administrator and Dr. Rieux's boss.
(d) Treating victims of the plague.
3. What important experience shaped Tarrou's view of capital punishment?
(a) Watching executions in Burma.
(b) Watching executions in Hungary.
(c) Watching murderers set free without punishment.
(d) Reading about Nazi Germany.
4. The plague is changing in two ways. What is the first way?
(a) The death rate drops dramatically.
(b) The death rate becomes steady,
(c) People die only every second day.
(d) The death rate climbs dramatically.
5. What decison does Rambert make?
(a) To escape and return to his wife.
(b) To buy a new apartment with a view over the bay.
(c) He decides to stay and help to fight the plague.
(d) To smuggle medicines into Oran.
6. What is Cottard's reaction to the officials?
(a) He flees.
(b) He tells them he has plague.
(c) He asks them to join him for dinner.
(d) He offers them cigarettes.
7. What seems to be an important factor in the reduction of plague deaths?
(a) The change in the weather.
(b) Dr. Castel's serum, which is now more effective.
(c) Dr. Rieux's careful treatment of his patients.
8. What happens when Rieux tries to get Grand into the car?
(a) Grand hits him.
(b) Grand runs away, then falls over.
(c) Grand takes the car keys and runs away.
(d) Rieux has to hit him to make him keep quiet.
9. What does Rieux confide?
(a) That his wife's condition has worsened.
(b) That his wife is getting much better.
(c) That he has been profiteering from the plague.
(d) That he is in despair and contemplating suicide.
10. What is taking place in the town?
(b) Street races.
(c) Joyful celebration.
(d) People are visiting graves of plague victims.
11. Where is Grand taken for treatment?
(a) Rieux and Tarrou look after him at home.
(b) A military hospital.
(c) Dr Rieux's home.
(d) The Catholic hospital.
12. What news does his mother give to Rieux?
(a) That she is sick.
(b) That Tarrou is sick.
(c) That she is leaving for Paris.
(d) That the trains are running again.
13. What is up with Grand?
(a) He is afraid of Cottard.
(b) He has caught the plague.
(c) He is exhausted.
(d) He is having a psychotic breakdown.
14. In what activity has Cottard become involved?
(a) Smuggling. (Profiteering from the plague.)
(b) Writing a novel.
(c) Running guns to Mardeilles.
(d) Volunteering to assist in the fight against the plague.
15. What becomes the last resort for disposal of corpses?
(a) Mass burial.
(c) Taken to a new cemetery in the desert.
(d) Burial at sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tarrou's opinion of his fellow human beings?
2. How do his friends try to help Grand?
3. Who is the worst affected emotionally when the patient dies?
4. What is different about Tarrou's journal at this point?
5. What does Rambert anticipate happening when he meets his wife again?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)