|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Rieux receive next day?
(a) That he has won a bravery award.
(b) That Tarrou has died.
(c) That he is bankrupt.
(d) That his wife has died.
2. What is the choice Fr Paneloux talks about in his sermon?
(a) Treating the plague or letting it run its course in patients.
(b) Trusting God or trusting in yourself and Science.
(c) Choice between a secular and a religious life.
(d) Losing faith or sacrificing oneself for it.
3. What important Christian feast is ignored this year?
(a) The Feast of the Assumption.
(b) All Souls' Day.
4. What makes Tarrou and Rieux very conscious of their isolation?
(a) The view from the terrace at the asthma patient's home.
(b) The fact that they never get mail from the outside world.
(c) The silences at night.
(d) Looking at a full moon.
5. What does Rieux tell Rambert?
(a) That there are always other women.
(b) That he might put people in danger.
(c) That it is irresponsible to put love first.
(d) That he is not wrong to put love first.
6. Why does Tarrou go home with Cottard?
(a) He is invited for dinner.
(b) Cottard has a present for him.
(c) Cottard insists.
(d) Cottard is unwell.
7. What is the situation with food supply?
(a) Food needs to be imported.
(b) The town is about to run out of food.
(c) It is thought that this will soon improve.
(d) There is no more flour for brioche.
8. What strongly motivates Rambert's plan to escape.
(a) Fear he will lose his job.
(b) Fear of the plague.
(c) Love for a woman.
(d) Self-love and preservation.
9. Where is M. Othon quarantined?
(a) His home.
(b) A camp.
(c) In the city jail.
(d) A hospital.
10. Why do workers take on the risky business of burying plague victims?
(a) They like the outdoors and exercise.
(b) They get free uniforms.
(c) The pay is high.
(d) People are public-spirited and feel an obligation.
11. What is preventing Rieux's visit to Grand and Cottard?
(a) A police directive.
(b) He has to look after his mother.
(c) A police cordon.
(d) He is worried about wasting more time.
12. With whom is Fr Paneloux billeted?
(a) An old woman.
(b) Dr. Rieux.
(c) M. Cottard.
(d) Cardinal Richelieu.
13. What does Tarrou reveal to Rambert about Rieux?
(a) That his wife is in a sanatorium in another city.
(b) That his wife is being unfaithful and has left.
(c) That he is profiteering from the plague.
(d) That he has been unfaithful and his wife has left him.
14. What additional friendship has Tarrou made?
(a) With Rambert.
(c) With Fr Paneloux.With the Prefect.
(d) With Cottard.
15. In what activity has Cottard become involved?
(a) Volunteering to assist in the fight against the plague.
(b) Writing a novel.
(c) Smuggling. (Profiteering from the plague.)
(d) Running guns to Mardeilles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are people coping as the plague continues?
2. What criticism is made of Fr Paneloux after the sermon?
3. What is taking place in the town?
4. When did Tarrou's mother die?
5. What is Tarrou's opinion of his fellow human beings?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)