|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are newspaper reports optimistic?
(a) Because reporters have been threatened if they tell the truth.
(b) Because the editors have given instructions to print happy stories.
(c) Because the authorities have given instructions to do that.
(d) Because the reporters are unaware of the true situation.
2. What strongly motivates Rambert's plan to escape.
(a) Fear he will lose his job.
(b) Self-love and preservation.
(c) Love for a woman.
(d) Fear of the plague.
3. What does Rieux tell Rambert?
(a) That he might put people in danger.
(b) That it is irresponsible to put love first.
(c) That he is not wrong to put love first.
(d) That there are always other women.
4. What was Tarrou's father's occupation?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was a concert pianist.
(c) He was an undertaker.
(d) He was a prosecuting attorney.
5. What happens on January 25th?
(a) Authorities announce that the epidemic is over.
(b) There is a parade with fireworks.
(c) Dr. Rieux turns 40.
(d) The city gates are reopened.
6. What is up with Grand?
(a) He has caught the plague.
(b) He is exhausted.
(c) He is afraid of Cottard.
(d) He is having a psychotic breakdown.
7. How has Fr Paneloux assisted the community during the plague?
(a) He has preached supportive sermons.
(b) He has said Mass every day.
(c) He has researched ancient inscriptions for plague remedies.
(d) He has worked in hospitals.
8. What does Tarrou reveal to Rambert about Rieux?
(a) That his wife is in a sanatorium in another city.
(b) That his wife is being unfaithful and has left.
(c) That he is profiteering from the plague.
(d) That he has been unfaithful and his wife has left him.
9. Who receives an invitation to the sermon?
(a) The Prefect.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) Dr. Rieux.
(d) Dr. Castel.
10. With whom is Fr Paneloux billeted?
(a) Cardinal Richelieu.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) An old woman.
(d) Dr. Rieux.
11. What criticism is made of Fr Paneloux after the sermon?
(a) That he has committed sacrilege.
(b) That he has committed polysemy.
(c) That he has committed simony.
(d) That he can't be heard at the back of the church.
12. What is at the core of Rambert's problem?
(a) A fear that his wife will divorce him.
(b) A struggle between doing the right thing or chasing his own happiness.
(c) He is afraid of making decisions.
(d) He knows money can buy happiness but to get it, he'd have to steal.
13. Why are many families not allowed to attend the funerals of loved ones?
(a) It would be too upsetting for them.
(b) They are not able achieve the strict dress code.
(c) They are in quarantine.
(d) There are too many of them.
14. What happens when Rieux tries to get Grand into the car?
(a) Rieux has to hit him to make him keep quiet.
(b) Grand takes the car keys and runs away.
(c) Grand runs away, then falls over.
(d) Grand hits him.
15. How is M. Othon's predicament solved?
(a) Rambert threatens to write a news article about it.
(b) Rieux intervenes and sorts things out.
(c) The mislaid paperwork is found.
(d) The Prefect intervenes and sorts things out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the gunman whom the police arrest?
2. What is the prime factor in his decision?
3. How does Rieux find out about his wife's condition?
4. How does Rieux break with policy?
5. What is the reason for cautious optimism in the town?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)