|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Dr. Rieux treat this patient?
(a) An ancient garlic compound.
(b) Mustard plasters and cupping.
(c) Dr. Castel's serum.
2. Having made his decision, what must Rambert now give up?
(a) His job at the newspaper.
(b) Happiness with his wife.
(c) A large income.
(d) His nationality/citizenship.
3. How does Rieux break with policy?
(a) He doesn't tell the Prefect that Tarrou is ill.
(b) He smuggles in an experimental serum.
(c) He engages an expensive private nurse for Tarrou.
(d) He treats Tarrou at home.
4. When did Tarrou's mother die?
(a) When Tarrou was ten.
(b) Two years previously.
(c) When Tarrou was fifteen.
(d) Ten years previously.
5. Which voice is now telling the story?
(a) Joseph Grand.
(b) Raymond Rambert.
(c) The original narrator.
(d) Rieux's mother.
6. What makes Tarrou and Rieux very conscious of their isolation?
(a) The silences at night.
(b) Looking at a full moon.
(c) The fact that they never get mail from the outside world.
(d) The view from the terrace at the asthma patient's home.
7. Why does Tarrou thank Rieux?
(a) For getting special serum for him.
(b) For not charging him.
(c) For looking after him.
(d) For telling him the truth.
8. Which is the second way?
(a) More patients are suffering pneumonic rather than bubonic plague.
(b) The plague is becoming more virulent.
(c) Most people suffer now from bubonic plague.
(d) The disease is now more like ebola.
9. What happens when the man shoots into the street?
(a) Grand is killed.
(b) A young woman is killed.
(c) A dog is killed.
(d) He runs out of ammunition.
10. Why is M. Othon's release from camp delayed?
(a) There has been a mistake.
(b) There is suspicion that he has plague.
(c) He has not done the paperwork.
(d) He has upset the Prefect.
11. Which character cannot be saved by the serum?
(a) M. Cottard.
(b) M. Othon.
(c) Mme. Rieux.
(d) M. Grand.
12. How is M. Othon's predicament solved?
(a) The mislaid paperwork is found.
(b) Rambert threatens to write a news article about it.
(c) The Prefect intervenes and sorts things out.
(d) Rieux intervenes and sorts things out.
13. How has Fr Paneloux assisted the community during the plague?
(a) He has researched ancient inscriptions for plague remedies.
(b) He has said Mass every day.
(c) He has worked in hospitals.
(d) He has preached supportive sermons.
14. How do his friends try to help Grand?
(a) They help him try to find a satisfactory opening sentence for his novel.
(b) They try to organise a promotion for him at work.
(c) They help him with his grocery shopping.
(d) They smuggle in paper for his novel-writing.
15. What news does Rieux receive next day?
(a) That he is bankrupt.
(b) That Tarrou has died.
(c) That he has won a bravery award.
(d) That his wife has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Rieux give for writing his tale of the plague in Oran?
2. How is Rambert's wife arriving?
3. Who is now an important plague victim?
4. What is the reason for cautious optimism in the town?
5. Who makes a rueful observance about the feast day?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)