|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does his mother give to Rieux?
(a) That she is leaving for Paris.
(b) That Tarrou is sick.
(c) That the trains are running again.
(d) That she is sick.
2. With whom is Fr Paneloux billeted?
(a) An old woman.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) Cardinal Richelieu.
(d) Dr. Rieux.
3. What reason does Rieux give for writing his tale of the plague in Oran?
(a) To warn people about rats.
(b) As a record of those who were determined to resist the plague and heal its victims.
(c) So everyone will know what an important person he has been.
(d) As a gift for his mother and in memory of his wife.
4. Who ecomes general secretary to the squads of volunteers?
(a) M. Tarrou.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) M. Grand
(d) Dr. Castel
5. For which people has the plague not ended?
(a) Those who have no-one to greet them on arrival.
(b) The doctors.
(c) Staff in the municipal offices.
(d) Priests and nuns.
6. Who is the gunman whom the police arrest?
(a) Raymond Rambert.
(c) A municipal employee.
(d) The asthma patient.
7. What was Tarrou's father's occupation?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was a prosecuting attorney.
(c) He was an undertaker.
(d) He was a concert pianist.
8. What becomes the last resort for disposal of corpses?
(a) Mass burial.
(b) Burial at sea.
(c) Taken to a new cemetery in the desert.
9. What is the choice Fr Paneloux talks about in his sermon?
(a) Trusting God or trusting in yourself and Science.
(b) Choice between a secular and a religious life.
(c) Losing faith or sacrificing oneself for it.
(d) Treating the plague or letting it run its course in patients.
10. What is Tarrou's opinion of his fellow human beings?
(a) He believes they are more bad than good.
(b) He believes they lack courage.
(c) He beieves they are more good than bad.
(d) He believes they are more selfish than he is.
11. What does Rieux tell Rambert?
(a) That there are always other women.
(b) That he is not wrong to put love first.
(c) That it is irresponsible to put love first.
(d) That he might put people in danger.
12. How are people coping as the plague continues?
(a) They are full of fear and drink to excess.
(b) They become very religious and attend Mass evry day.
(c) They become indifferent to what is happening to them.
(d) They are in despair and suicides are frequent.
13. How has Fr Paneloux assisted the community during the plague?
(a) He has researched ancient inscriptions for plague remedies.
(b) He has preached supportive sermons.
(c) He has said Mass every day.
(d) He has worked in hospitals.
14. Where is M. Othon quarantined?
(a) His home.
(b) A camp.
(c) A hospital.
(d) In the city jail.
15. What is the result of this treatment?
(a) There is no change in his condition.
(b) The formula is patented.
(c) The boy takes longer to die.
(d) The boy recovers quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which voice is now telling the story?
2. What does Rieux do with Grand's manuscript?
3. What criticism is made of Fr Paneloux after the sermon?
4. What is the reason for cautious optimism in the town?
5. What was the elder Tarrou's obsession?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)