|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about Tarrou's journal at this point?
(a) It is written in red ink.
(b) It is full of fantasy.
(c) He writes only on every second line.
(d) It is harder to read and not so well organised.
2. What does Rieux tell Rambert?
(a) That there are always other women.
(b) That he is not wrong to put love first.
(c) That it is irresponsible to put love first.
(d) That he might put people in danger.
3. What reason does Rieux give for writing his tale of the plague in Oran?
(a) So everyone will know what an important person he has been.
(b) As a record of those who were determined to resist the plague and heal its victims.
(c) As a gift for his mother and in memory of his wife.
(d) To warn people about rats.
4. Which other character does Tarrou discuss in this part of his journal?
(a) M. Cottard.
(b) M. Othon.
(c) Fr, Paneloux.
(d) M. Grand.
5. What was the elder Tarrou's obsession?
(b) The railway directory.
(c) Model trains.
(d) Watching court cases.
6. With whom is Fr Paneloux billeted?
(a) M. Cottard.
(b) Dr. Rieux.
(c) An old woman.
(d) Cardinal Richelieu.
7. In his struggle of conscience, who does Rambert resemble?
(a) Fr Paneloux
(b) The author, Albert Camus.
(c) Dr. Castel
(d) Dr. Rieux
8. Which prominent citizen joins the volunteers?
(a) Dr. Castel.
(b) Cardinal Richelieu.
(c) Fr Paneloux.
(d) The Prefect.
9. How does the city government respond to looting?
(a) All police leave is cancelled.
(b) Looters are shot on sight.
(c) Martial law is imposed and shops are boarded up at night.
(d) Martial law and a curfew are imposed.
10. Where is Grand taken for treatment?
(a) A military hospital.
(b) Rieux and Tarrou look after him at home.
(c) Dr Rieux's home.
(d) The Catholic hospital.
11. What is Rieux's opinion about the case?
(a) That it is mild.
(b) That the boy is malingering.
(c) That it is hopeless.
(d) That the boy has a good chance of recovery.
12. Why does Rieux weep?
(a) He feels he has wasted his life.
(b) He misses his wife.
(c) His mother is ill.
(d) For the loss of his friend and for his own medical impotence.
13. When did Tarrou's mother die?
(a) When Tarrou was fifteen.
(b) Ten years previously.
(c) When Tarrou was ten.
(d) Two years previously.
14. Why does Tarrou go home with Cottard?
(a) He is invited for dinner.
(b) Cottard has a present for him.
(c) Cottard is unwell.
(d) Cottard insists.
15. In what activity has Cottard become involved?
(a) Smuggling. (Profiteering from the plague.)
(b) Running guns to Mardeilles.
(c) Volunteering to assist in the fight against the plague.
(d) Writing a novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tarrou thank Rieux?
2. How are people coping as the plague continues?
3. What happens when Rieux tries to get Grand into the car?
4. What decison does Rambert make?
5. What error does Rieux think he has made?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)