|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seems to be an important factor in the reduction of plague deaths?
(b) The change in the weather.
(c) Dr. Castel's serum, which is now more effective.
(d) Dr. Rieux's careful treatment of his patients.
2. What does Rieux do with Grand's manuscript?
(a) He burns it, only because Grand demands it.
(b) He accidentally knocks it into the fire.
(c) He reads it and offers to find Grand a literary agent.
(d) He burns it out of spite.
3. What is Rieux's opinion about the case?
(a) That the boy has a good chance of recovery.
(b) That it is hopeless.
(c) That the boy is malingering.
(d) That it is mild.
4. In his struggle of conscience, who does Rambert resemble?
(a) Fr Paneloux
(b) Dr. Rieux
(c) Dr. Castel
(d) The author, Albert Camus.
5. What is preventing Rieux's visit to Grand and Cottard?
(a) He is worried about wasting more time.
(b) A police cordon.
(c) A police directive.
(d) He has to look after his mother.
6. What does Rieux tell Rambert?
(a) That he is not wrong to put love first.
(b) That it is irresponsible to put love first.
(c) That there are always other women.
(d) That he might put people in danger.
7. Why are newspaper reports optimistic?
(a) Because the authorities have given instructions to do that.
(b) Because the reporters are unaware of the true situation.
(c) Because reporters have been threatened if they tell the truth.
(d) Because the editors have given instructions to print happy stories.
8. For which people has the plague not ended?
(a) Staff in the municipal offices.
(b) Priests and nuns.
(c) Those who have no-one to greet them on arrival.
(d) The doctors.
9. What does Tarrou reveal to Rambert about Rieux?
(a) That he is profiteering from the plague.
(b) That his wife is in a sanatorium in another city.
(c) That he has been unfaithful and his wife has left him.
(d) That his wife is being unfaithful and has left.
10. What important Christian feast is ignored this year?
(b) All Souls' Day.
(d) The Feast of the Assumption.
11. What was the elder Tarrou's obsession?
(a) Model trains.
(b) Watching court cases.
(d) The railway directory.
12. To what does Tarrou compare lawyers and judges?
(c) The plague.
(d) The elders of the Church.
13. What is different about Tarrou's journal at this point?
(a) It is written in red ink.
(b) He writes only on every second line.
(c) It is harder to read and not so well organised.
(d) It is full of fantasy.
14. What reason does Rieux give for writing his tale of the plague in Oran?
(a) As a gift for his mother and in memory of his wife.
(b) So everyone will know what an important person he has been.
(c) To warn people about rats.
(d) As a record of those who were determined to resist the plague and heal its victims.
15. Who is the worst affected emotionally when the patient dies?
(a) Dr. Rieux.
(b) Fr Paneloux.
(c) M. Tarrou
(d) M. Othon
Short Answer Questions
1. Which trio of men develop a close friendship?
2. Who is the gunman whom the police arrest?
3. What is the situation with food supply?
4. How did Tarrou respond to his father's court performance?
5. Which prominent citizen joins the volunteers?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)