|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who receives an invitation to the sermon?
(a) M. Cottard.
(b) Dr. Rieux.
(c) The Prefect.
(d) Dr. Castel.
2. What is happening across the road from Grand's building?
(a) There is a fire.
(b) Someone is threatening to commit suicide.
(c) Someone has taken a hostage onto the roof.
(d) Someone is firing shots into the street.
3. When did Tarrou's mother die?
(a) When Tarrou was ten.
(b) When Tarrou was fifteen.
(c) Ten years previously.
(d) Two years previously.
4. What has Dr. Castel achieved?
(a) He has brokered a deal with France to manufacture serum.
(b) He has inoculated more people than Dr. Rieux.
(c) He has produced a serum suitable for local conditions.
(d) He has isolated the plague bacillus for the first time.
5. Who is now an important plague victim?
(a) Dr. Castel.
(b) M. Othon's little boy.
(c) Dr. Rieux's mother.
(d) M Othon's wife.
6. What becomes the last resort for disposal of corpses?
(a) Mass burial.
(b) Burial at sea.
(d) Taken to a new cemetery in the desert.
7. What happens on January 25th?
(a) There is a parade with fireworks.
(b) Dr. Rieux turns 40.
(c) The city gates are reopened.
(d) Authorities announce that the epidemic is over.
8. What news does his mother give to Rieux?
(a) That she is leaving for Paris.
(b) That Tarrou is sick.
(c) That she is sick.
(d) That the trains are running again.
9. How does Rieux encourage Tarrou?
(a) He tells him he has been nominated for a Papal knighthood.
(b) He tells him he must live if he is to be a saint.
(c) He tells him he is the best friend he could ever hope to have.
(d) He tells him his illness is improving.
10. What is Tarrou's opinion of his fellow human beings?
(a) He believes they are more bad than good.
(b) He beieves they are more good than bad.
(c) He believes they lack courage.
(d) He believes they are more selfish than he is.
11. What does Rieux confide?
(a) That he is in despair and contemplating suicide.
(b) That his wife's condition has worsened.
(c) That he has been profiteering from the plague.
(d) That his wife is getting much better.
12. What is the result of this treatment?
(a) The formula is patented.
(b) The boy takes longer to die.
(c) There is no change in his condition.
(d) The boy recovers quickly.
13. How is food distributed to the people in the camp?
(a) The food is provided by relatives.
(b) By donkey.
(c) Via small electric trucks.
(d) The food is sent in by the Red Cross and dropped from helicopters.
14. What does the Prefect order?
(a) That food stores should open on Sundays.
(b) A week of prayer.
(c) A bonfire and fireworks night.
(d) The street lighting is to be turned on again.
15. How did Tarrou respond to his father's court performance?
(a) He had compassion for the accused.
(b) He was very proud of his father.
(c) He thought the accused deserved his fate.
(d) He was embarrassed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rambert anticipate happening when he meets his wife again?
2. How does Rieux find out about his wife's condition?
3. What is Cottard's reaction to the officials?
4. Who is the worst affected emotionally when the patient dies?
5. How do his friends try to help Grand?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)