|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important experience shaped Tarrou's view of capital punishment?
(a) Watching executions in Hungary.
(b) Watching murderers set free without punishment.
(c) Watching executions in Burma.
(d) Reading about Nazi Germany.
2. How is Rambert's wife arriving?
(a) By air from Casablanca.
(b) By ship from Marseilles.
(c) By train.
(d) By car.
3. How has Fr Paneloux assisted the community during the plague?
(a) He has said Mass every day.
(b) He has researched ancient inscriptions for plague remedies.
(c) He has preached supportive sermons.
(d) He has worked in hospitals.
4. The plague is changing in two ways. What is the first way?
(a) The death rate climbs dramatically.
(b) The death rate drops dramatically.
(c) The death rate becomes steady,
(d) People die only every second day.
5. What happens when Rieux tries to get Grand into the car?
(a) Grand takes the car keys and runs away.
(b) Grand hits him.
(c) Grand runs away, then falls over.
(d) Rieux has to hit him to make him keep quiet.
6. Which is the second way?
(a) The plague is becoming more virulent.
(b) Most people suffer now from bubonic plague.
(c) More patients are suffering pneumonic rather than bubonic plague.
(d) The disease is now more like ebola.
7. To what does Dr. Rieux confess?
(a) That he is the narrator.
(b) That he is a secret believer in Christianity.
(c) That he did not love his wife.
(d) That he has stolen Tarrou's journal.
8. What seems to be an important factor in the reduction of plague deaths?
(a) Dr. Rieux's careful treatment of his patients.
(b) The change in the weather.
(d) Dr. Castel's serum, which is now more effective.
9. Which voice is now telling the story?
(a) The original narrator.
(b) Raymond Rambert.
(c) Rieux's mother.
(d) Joseph Grand.
10. How is food distributed to the people in the camp?
(a) The food is provided by relatives.
(b) The food is sent in by the Red Cross and dropped from helicopters.
(c) Via small electric trucks.
(d) By donkey.
11. What happens when the man shoots into the street?
(a) Grand is killed.
(b) A young woman is killed.
(c) A dog is killed.
(d) He runs out of ammunition.
12. To what does Tarrou compare lawyers and judges?
(b) The elders of the Church.
(c) The plague.
13. What is now possible for Rambert?
(a) Writing a world exclusive on the plague in Oran.
(b) A job on Oran's newspaper.
(c) His escape from Oran.
(d) A love affair in Oran.
14. Who makes a rueful observance about the feast day?
(a) M. Grand.
(b) Dr. Rieux's mother.
(c) Dr. Rieux.
(d) M. Cottard.
15. How does Rieux find out about his wife's condition?
(a) He calls his wife.
(b) He writes to the sanatorium,
(c) He sends a telegram.
(d) He calls the house physician.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which trio of men develop a close friendship?
2. Why does Tarrou thank Rieux?
3. How is M. Othon's predicament solved?
4. What makes Tarrou and Rieux very conscious of their isolation?
5. Why does Tarrou go home with Cottard?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)