|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the gunman whom the police arrest?
(a) Raymond Rambert.
(b) The asthma patient.
(d) A municipal employee.
2. Why are individual burials dispensed with?
(a) The cemetery is full.
(b) The gravediggers are threatening to go on strike.
(c) People cannot afford expensive funerals.
(d) The death rate is too high to keep pace.
3. Why does Rieux weep?
(a) His mother is ill.
(b) For the loss of his friend and for his own medical impotence.
(c) He feels he has wasted his life.
(d) He misses his wife.
4. Who makes a rueful observance about the feast day?
(a) M. Cottard.
(b) Dr. Rieux.
(c) M. Grand.
(d) Dr. Rieux's mother.
5. How does the city government respond to looting?
(a) All police leave is cancelled.
(b) Looters are shot on sight.
(c) Martial law is imposed and shops are boarded up at night.
(d) Martial law and a curfew are imposed.
6. To what does Dr. Rieux confess?
(a) That he did not love his wife.
(b) That he is a secret believer in Christianity.
(c) That he is the narrator.
(d) That he has stolen Tarrou's journal.
7. What happens when Rieux tries to get Grand into the car?
(a) Rieux has to hit him to make him keep quiet.
(b) Grand takes the car keys and runs away.
(c) Grand hits him.
(d) Grand runs away, then falls over.
8. Which prominent citizen joins the volunteers?
(a) Cardinal Richelieu.
(b) Dr. Castel.
(c) Fr Paneloux.
(d) The Prefect.
9. What criticism is made of Fr Paneloux after the sermon?
(a) That he has committed simony.
(b) That he has committed sacrilege.
(c) That he has committed polysemy.
(d) That he can't be heard at the back of the church.
10. What was Tarrou's father's occupation?
(a) He was a concert pianist.
(b) He was an undertaker.
(c) He was a prosecuting attorney.
(d) He was a doctor.
11. What becomes the last resort for disposal of corpses?
(a) Burial at sea.
(b) Mass burial.
(d) Taken to a new cemetery in the desert.
12. What is the prime factor in his decision?
(a) His finances.
(b) His conscience.
(c) Dr. Rieux's support.
(d) His love.
13. What does Tarrou reveal to Rambert about Rieux?
(a) That he is profiteering from the plague.
(b) That his wife is being unfaithful and has left.
(c) That he has been unfaithful and his wife has left him.
(d) That his wife is in a sanatorium in another city.
14. Which character cannot be saved by the serum?
(a) M. Grand.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) M. Othon.
(d) Mme. Rieux.
15. What does Rambert anticipate happening when he meets his wife again?
(a) She will worry that he has lost weight.
(b) Things will be over between them.
(c) He has changed, so will reject her.
(d) Instant happiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are people coping as the plague continues?
2. Why do workers take on the risky business of burying plague victims?
3. What is Tarrou's opinion of his fellow human beings?
4. The plague is changing in two ways. What is the first way?
5. What important Christian feast is ignored this year?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)