|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is M. Othon's predicament solved?
(a) Rambert threatens to write a news article about it.
(b) Rieux intervenes and sorts things out.
(c) The mislaid paperwork is found.
(d) The Prefect intervenes and sorts things out.
2. In his struggle of conscience, who does Rambert resemble?
(a) Dr. Rieux
(b) Dr. Castel
(c) The author, Albert Camus.
(d) Fr Paneloux
3. How does the city government respond to looting?
(a) Martial law is imposed and shops are boarded up at night.
(b) All police leave is cancelled.
(c) Martial law and a curfew are imposed.
(d) Looters are shot on sight.
4. What strongly motivates Rambert's plan to escape.
(a) Fear he will lose his job.
(b) Self-love and preservation.
(c) Fear of the plague.
(d) Love for a woman.
5. Which character cannot be saved by the serum?
(a) Mme. Rieux.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) M. Othon.
(d) M. Grand.
6. When did Tarrou's mother die?
(a) When Tarrou was fifteen.
(b) Two years previously.
(c) Ten years previously.
(d) When Tarrou was ten.
7. Which voice is now telling the story?
(a) Rieux's mother.
(b) Raymond Rambert.
(c) The original narrator.
(d) Joseph Grand.
8. What does Dr. Rieux fear?
(a) That rats will eat the corpses.
(b) That corpses will be piled in the streets.
(c) That the church will make a lot of money from the burials.
(d) That he will himself catch the plague.
9. With whom is Fr Paneloux billeted?
(a) Cardinal Richelieu.
(b) Dr. Rieux.
(c) An old woman.
(d) M. Cottard.
10. What is the choice Fr Paneloux talks about in his sermon?
(a) Choice between a secular and a religious life.
(b) Losing faith or sacrificing oneself for it.
(c) Treating the plague or letting it run its course in patients.
(d) Trusting God or trusting in yourself and Science.
11. Why are individual burials dispensed with?
(a) The cemetery is full.
(b) People cannot afford expensive funerals.
(c) The death rate is too high to keep pace.
(d) The gravediggers are threatening to go on strike.
12. What is Dr. Castel's work?
(a) He is a hospital administrator and Dr. Rieux's boss.
(b) Undertaking research about the rat population.
(c) Developing a more effective plague serum.
(d) Treating victims of the plague.
13. Who receives an invitation to the sermon?
(a) The Prefect.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) Dr. Rieux.
(d) Dr. Castel.
14. What error does Rieux think he has made?
(a) He has counted too much on Castel's serum.
(b) He has counted too much on time.
(c) He has given Tarrou the wrong serum.
(d) He has counted too much on his mother.
15. How does Rieux break with policy?
(a) He treats Tarrou at home.
(b) He engages an expensive private nurse for Tarrou.
(c) He smuggles in an experimental serum.
(d) He doesn't tell the Prefect that Tarrou is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tarrou thank Rieux?
2. What is the result of this treatment?
3. What news does Rieux receive next day?
4. What does Rieux tell Rambert?
5. What is preventing Rieux's visit to Grand and Cottard?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)