|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Having made his decision, what must Rambert now give up?
(a) A large income.
(b) Happiness with his wife.
(c) His job at the newspaper.
(d) His nationality/citizenship.
2. What target audience has Fr Paneloux for his special sermon?
(c) The plague wrkers.
(d) The medical community.
3. How is food distributed to the people in the camp?
(a) Via small electric trucks.
(b) The food is sent in by the Red Cross and dropped from helicopters.
(c) The food is provided by relatives.
(d) By donkey.
4. What does the Prefect order?
(a) The street lighting is to be turned on again.
(b) That food stores should open on Sundays.
(c) A bonfire and fireworks night.
(d) A week of prayer.
5. What additional friendship has Tarrou made?
(b) With Rambert.
(c) With Cottard.
(d) With Fr Paneloux.With the Prefect.
6. What is preventing Rieux's visit to Grand and Cottard?
(a) He has to look after his mother.
(b) A police cordon.
(c) A police directive.
(d) He is worried about wasting more time.
7. What is happening across the road from Grand's building?
(a) Someone is threatening to commit suicide.
(b) Someone has taken a hostage onto the roof.
(c) There is a fire.
(d) Someone is firing shots into the street.
8. What reason does Rieux give for writing his tale of the plague in Oran?
(a) So everyone will know what an important person he has been.
(b) As a record of those who were determined to resist the plague and heal its victims.
(c) As a gift for his mother and in memory of his wife.
(d) To warn people about rats.
9. What is different about Tarrou's journal at this point?
(a) It is written in red ink.
(b) It is harder to read and not so well organised.
(c) It is full of fantasy.
(d) He writes only on every second line.
10. Why is M. Othon's release from camp delayed?
(a) There has been a mistake.
(b) There is suspicion that he has plague.
(c) He has not done the paperwork.
(d) He has upset the Prefect.
11. What does Rieux do with Grand's manuscript?
(a) He reads it and offers to find Grand a literary agent.
(b) He accidentally knocks it into the fire.
(c) He burns it out of spite.
(d) He burns it, only because Grand demands it.
12. What is the situation with food supply?
(a) It is thought that this will soon improve.
(b) There is no more flour for brioche.
(c) Food needs to be imported.
(d) The town is about to run out of food.
13. How is Tarrou reminded of his mother?
(a) He sees a portrait of Rieux's wife and sees a resemblance.
(b) Mme Othon is quite similar.
(c) A cafe waitress.
(d) Madame Rieux is quite similar..
14. How is Rambert's wife arriving?
(a) By ship from Marseilles.
(b) By car.
(c) By train.
(d) By air from Casablanca.
15. Which other character does Tarrou discuss in this part of his journal?
(a) M. Grand.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) M. Othon.
(d) Fr, Paneloux.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Grand taken for treatment?
2. Why are newspaper reports optimistic?
3. The plague is changing in two ways. What is the first way?
4. What makes Tarrou and Rieux very conscious of their isolation?
5. What was the elder Tarrou's obsession?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)