|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of this treatment?
(a) The formula is patented.
(b) There is no change in his condition.
(c) The boy recovers quickly.
(d) The boy takes longer to die.
2. What is now possible for Rambert?
(a) His escape from Oran.
(b) Writing a world exclusive on the plague in Oran.
(c) A job on Oran's newspaper.
(d) A love affair in Oran.
3. Why are many families not allowed to attend the funerals of loved ones?
(a) They are in quarantine.
(b) It would be too upsetting for them.
(c) They are not able achieve the strict dress code.
(d) There are too many of them.
4. How did Tarrou respond to his father's court performance?
(a) He had compassion for the accused.
(b) He thought the accused deserved his fate.
(c) He was very proud of his father.
(d) He was embarrassed.
5. What is at the core of Rambert's problem?
(a) A struggle between doing the right thing or chasing his own happiness.
(b) A fear that his wife will divorce him.
(c) He knows money can buy happiness but to get it, he'd have to steal.
(d) He is afraid of making decisions.
6. Who does Rieux confide in?
(b) Fr Paneloux
(d) His mother.
7. Which character cannot be saved by the serum?
(a) M. Othon.
(b) Mme. Rieux.
(c) M. Cottard.
(d) M. Grand.
8. What important Christian feast is ignored this year?
(a) The Feast of the Assumption.
(c) All Souls' Day.
9. Why is M. Othon's release from camp delayed?
(a) He has upset the Prefect.
(b) There has been a mistake.
(c) He has not done the paperwork.
(d) There is suspicion that he has plague.
10. What news does his mother give to Rieux?
(a) That she is sick.
(b) That she is leaving for Paris.
(c) That the trains are running again.
(d) That Tarrou is sick.
11. What does Rieux confide?
(a) That he has been profiteering from the plague.
(b) That his wife's condition has worsened.
(c) That he is in despair and contemplating suicide.
(d) That his wife is getting much better.
12. Which is the second way?
(a) More patients are suffering pneumonic rather than bubonic plague.
(b) The disease is now more like ebola.
(c) The plague is becoming more virulent.
(d) Most people suffer now from bubonic plague.
13. How does Rieux encourage Tarrou?
(a) He tells him his illness is improving.
(b) He tells him he has been nominated for a Papal knighthood.
(c) He tells him he is the best friend he could ever hope to have.
(d) He tells him he must live if he is to be a saint.
14. Having made his decision, what must Rambert now give up?
(a) A large income.
(b) His job at the newspaper.
(c) His nationality/citizenship.
(d) Happiness with his wife.
15. What is Tarrou's opinion of his fellow human beings?
(a) He believes they are more selfish than he is.
(b) He beieves they are more good than bad.
(c) He believes they lack courage.
(d) He believes they are more bad than good.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about Tarrou's journal at this point?
2. What decison does Rambert make?
3. When did Tarrou's mother die?
4. What is the situation with food supply?
5. What happens on January 25th?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)