|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Having made his decision, what must Rambert now give up?
(a) His nationality/citizenship.
(b) A large income.
(c) Happiness with his wife.
(d) His job at the newspaper.
2. What strongly motivates Rambert's plan to escape.
(a) Love for a woman.
(b) Self-love and preservation.
(c) Fear he will lose his job.
(d) Fear of the plague.
3. Who receives an invitation to the sermon?
(a) M. Cottard.
(b) Dr. Rieux.
(c) Dr. Castel.
(d) The Prefect.
4. What important experience shaped Tarrou's view of capital punishment?
(a) Watching murderers set free without punishment.
(b) Watching executions in Hungary.
(c) Watching executions in Burma.
(d) Reading about Nazi Germany.
5. What criticism is made of Fr Paneloux after the sermon?
(a) That he has committed polysemy.
(b) That he has committed sacrilege.
(c) That he can't be heard at the back of the church.
(d) That he has committed simony.
6. What is taking place in the town?
(a) Street races.
(b) People are visiting graves of plague victims.
(d) Joyful celebration.
7. What does Dr. Rieux fear?
(a) That the church will make a lot of money from the burials.
(b) That he will himself catch the plague.
(c) That corpses will be piled in the streets.
(d) That rats will eat the corpses.
8. Why are many families not allowed to attend the funerals of loved ones?
(a) There are too many of them.
(b) It would be too upsetting for them.
(c) They are in quarantine.
(d) They are not able achieve the strict dress code.
9. To what does Dr. Rieux confess?
(a) That he did not love his wife.
(b) That he is the narrator.
(c) That he has stolen Tarrou's journal.
(d) That he is a secret believer in Christianity.
10. What news does his mother give to Rieux?
(a) That she is sick.
(b) That she is leaving for Paris.
(c) That the trains are running again.
(d) That Tarrou is sick.
11. Which is the second way?
(a) The plague is becoming more virulent.
(b) More patients are suffering pneumonic rather than bubonic plague.
(c) The disease is now more like ebola.
(d) Most people suffer now from bubonic plague.
12. Who does Rieux confide in?
(a) His mother.
(b) Fr Paneloux
13. What target audience has Fr Paneloux for his special sermon?
(a) The plague wrkers.
(b) The medical community.
14. For which people has the plague not ended?
(a) Priests and nuns.
(b) The doctors.
(c) Those who have no-one to greet them on arrival.
(d) Staff in the municipal offices.
15. Why do workers take on the risky business of burying plague victims?
(a) They get free uniforms.
(b) They like the outdoors and exercise.
(c) People are public-spirited and feel an obligation.
(d) The pay is high.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Rambert's wife arriving?
2. What is at the core of Rambert's problem?
3. How does Rieux break with policy?
4. What happens when the man shoots into the street?
5. Why does Rieux weep?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)