|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom is Fr Paneloux billeted?
(a) Cardinal Richelieu.
(b) Dr. Rieux.
(c) An old woman.
(d) M. Cottard.
2. What is now possible for Rambert?
(a) A job on Oran's newspaper.
(b) Writing a world exclusive on the plague in Oran.
(c) A love affair in Oran.
(d) His escape from Oran.
3. What does Tarrou reveal to Rambert about Rieux?
(a) That he is profiteering from the plague.
(b) That he has been unfaithful and his wife has left him.
(c) That his wife is being unfaithful and has left.
(d) That his wife is in a sanatorium in another city.
4. When did Tarrou's mother die?
(a) Two years previously.
(b) When Tarrou was ten.
(c) When Tarrou was fifteen.
(d) Ten years previously.
5. What is up with Grand?
(a) He is exhausted.
(b) He is afraid of Cottard.
(c) He has caught the plague.
(d) He is having a psychotic breakdown.
6. Why does Tarrou thank Rieux?
(a) For looking after him.
(b) For not charging him.
(c) For telling him the truth.
(d) For getting special serum for him.
7. How are people coping as the plague continues?
(a) They are in despair and suicides are frequent.
(b) They become indifferent to what is happening to them.
(c) They become very religious and attend Mass evry day.
(d) They are full of fear and drink to excess.
8. How does Rieux find out about his wife's condition?
(a) He calls the house physician.
(b) He sends a telegram.
(c) He writes to the sanatorium,
(d) He calls his wife.
9. How is M. Othon's predicament solved?
(a) Rieux intervenes and sorts things out.
(b) The Prefect intervenes and sorts things out.
(c) The mislaid paperwork is found.
(d) Rambert threatens to write a news article about it.
10. What is taking place in the town?
(a) People are visiting graves of plague victims.
(b) Joyful celebration.
(c) Street races.
11. Why are many families not allowed to attend the funerals of loved ones?
(a) It would be too upsetting for them.
(b) They are in quarantine.
(c) They are not able achieve the strict dress code.
(d) There are too many of them.
12. What makes Tarrou and Rieux very conscious of their isolation?
(a) The fact that they never get mail from the outside world.
(b) The silences at night.
(c) Looking at a full moon.
(d) The view from the terrace at the asthma patient's home.
13. What is the reason for cautious optimism in the town?
(a) A cure might have been found for the plague.
(b) The Prefect has been seen smiling.
(c) The plague has disappeared.
(d) Plague deaths are way down.
14. Who does Rieux confide in?
(c) His mother.
(d) Fr Paneloux
15. How did Tarrou respond to his father's court performance?
(a) He thought the accused deserved his fate.
(b) He was very proud of his father.
(c) He had compassion for the accused.
(d) He was embarrassed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important Christian feast is ignored this year?
2. What is happening across the road from Grand's building?
3. How does Rieux encourage Tarrou?
4. How do his friends try to help Grand?
5. What important experience shaped Tarrou's view of capital punishment?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)