|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of this treatment?
(a) The boy recovers quickly.
(b) There is no change in his condition.
(c) The boy takes longer to die.
(d) The formula is patented.
2. What important experience shaped Tarrou's view of capital punishment?
(a) Watching executions in Burma.
(b) Reading about Nazi Germany.
(c) Watching murderers set free without punishment.
(d) Watching executions in Hungary.
3. When did Tarrou's mother die?
(a) When Tarrou was fifteen.
(b) When Tarrou was ten.
(c) Two years previously.
(d) Ten years previously.
4. What happens when the man shoots into the street?
(a) A dog is killed.
(b) A young woman is killed.
(c) He runs out of ammunition.
(d) Grand is killed.
5. With whom is Fr Paneloux billeted?
(a) M. Cottard.
(b) Dr. Rieux.
(c) An old woman.
(d) Cardinal Richelieu.
6. How are people coping as the plague continues?
(a) They become indifferent to what is happening to them.
(b) They become very religious and attend Mass evry day.
(c) They are in despair and suicides are frequent.
(d) They are full of fear and drink to excess.
7. How is Tarrou reminded of his mother?
(a) Mme Othon is quite similar.
(b) A cafe waitress.
(c) Madame Rieux is quite similar..
(d) He sees a portrait of Rieux's wife and sees a resemblance.
8. Which is the second way?
(a) More patients are suffering pneumonic rather than bubonic plague.
(b) The plague is becoming more virulent.
(c) Most people suffer now from bubonic plague.
(d) The disease is now more like ebola.
9. In what activity has Cottard become involved?
(a) Volunteering to assist in the fight against the plague.
(b) Running guns to Mardeilles.
(c) Smuggling. (Profiteering from the plague.)
(d) Writing a novel.
10. What does Dr. Rieux fear?
(a) That rats will eat the corpses.
(b) That he will himself catch the plague.
(c) That the church will make a lot of money from the burials.
(d) That corpses will be piled in the streets.
11. What is the prime factor in his decision?
(a) His conscience.
(b) His love.
(c) His finances.
(d) Dr. Rieux's support.
12. Why does Rieux weep?
(a) He feels he has wasted his life.
(b) He misses his wife.
(c) For the loss of his friend and for his own medical impotence.
(d) His mother is ill.
13. What additional friendship has Tarrou made?
(a) With Rambert.
(b) With Cottard.
(d) With Fr Paneloux.With the Prefect.
14. What decison does Rambert make?
(a) To buy a new apartment with a view over the bay.
(b) To escape and return to his wife.
(c) He decides to stay and help to fight the plague.
(d) To smuggle medicines into Oran.
15. How do his friends try to help Grand?
(a) They smuggle in paper for his novel-writing.
(b) They help him with his grocery shopping.
(c) They help him try to find a satisfactory opening sentence for his novel.
(d) They try to organise a promotion for him at work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do workers take on the risky business of burying plague victims?
2. What news does his mother give to Rieux?
3. What becomes the last resort for disposal of corpses?
4. In his struggle of conscience, who does Rambert resemble?
5. What was Tarrou's father's occupation?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)