|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is M. Othon quarantined?
(a) In the city jail.
(b) A hospital.
(c) His home.
(d) A camp.
2. Which trio of men develop a close friendship?
(a) Tarrou, Othon and Cottard.
(b) Rieux, Fr, Paneloux and Rambert
(c) Rieux, Tarrou and Grand.
(d) Cottard, Rieux and Cottard.
3. What does Rieux do with Grand's manuscript?
(a) He accidentally knocks it into the fire.
(b) He burns it out of spite.
(c) He burns it, only because Grand demands it.
(d) He reads it and offers to find Grand a literary agent.
4. What becomes the last resort for disposal of corpses?
(a) Burial at sea.
(c) Taken to a new cemetery in the desert.
(d) Mass burial.
5. Why is M. Othon's release from camp delayed?
(a) There is suspicion that he has plague.
(b) He has upset the Prefect.
(c) He has not done the paperwork.
(d) There has been a mistake.
6. What happens on January 25th?
(a) There is a parade with fireworks.
(b) The city gates are reopened.
(c) Dr. Rieux turns 40.
(d) Authorities announce that the epidemic is over.
7. What does Rambert anticipate happening when he meets his wife again?
(a) She will worry that he has lost weight.
(b) Instant happiness.
(c) He has changed, so will reject her.
(d) Things will be over between them.
8. Which is the second way?
(a) Most people suffer now from bubonic plague.
(b) The disease is now more like ebola.
(c) More patients are suffering pneumonic rather than bubonic plague.
(d) The plague is becoming more virulent.
9. How do his friends try to help Grand?
(a) They try to organise a promotion for him at work.
(b) They help him try to find a satisfactory opening sentence for his novel.
(c) They smuggle in paper for his novel-writing.
(d) They help him with his grocery shopping.
10. What is happening across the road from Grand's building?
(a) Someone is firing shots into the street.
(b) Someone is threatening to commit suicide.
(c) Someone has taken a hostage onto the roof.
(d) There is a fire.
11. Why are newspaper reports optimistic?
(a) Because the authorities have given instructions to do that.
(b) Because the editors have given instructions to print happy stories.
(c) Because the reporters are unaware of the true situation.
(d) Because reporters have been threatened if they tell the truth.
12. What is the reason for cautious optimism in the town?
(a) The Prefect has been seen smiling.
(b) A cure might have been found for the plague.
(c) Plague deaths are way down.
(d) The plague has disappeared.
13. The plague is changing in two ways. What is the first way?
(a) People die only every second day.
(b) The death rate becomes steady,
(c) The death rate drops dramatically.
(d) The death rate climbs dramatically.
14. Which voice is now telling the story?
(a) Raymond Rambert.
(b) The original narrator.
(c) Rieux's mother.
(d) Joseph Grand.
15. How does Rieux encourage Tarrou?
(a) He tells him he has been nominated for a Papal knighthood.
(b) He tells him his illness is improving.
(c) He tells him he is the best friend he could ever hope to have.
(d) He tells him he must live if he is to be a saint.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Tarrou compare lawyers and judges?
2. What is Cottard's reaction to the officials?
3. What is taking place in the town?
4. Who receives an invitation to the sermon?
5. What does Tarrou reveal to Rambert about Rieux?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)