|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his struggle of conscience, who does Rambert resemble?
(a) Fr Paneloux
(b) Dr. Castel
(c) The author, Albert Camus.
(d) Dr. Rieux
2. How does Rieux encourage Tarrou?
(a) He tells him his illness is improving.
(b) He tells him he has been nominated for a Papal knighthood.
(c) He tells him he is the best friend he could ever hope to have.
(d) He tells him he must live if he is to be a saint.
3. What target audience has Fr Paneloux for his special sermon?
(b) The plague wrkers.
(c) The medical community.
4. What makes Tarrou and Rieux very conscious of their isolation?
(a) The silences at night.
(b) Looking at a full moon.
(c) The fact that they never get mail from the outside world.
(d) The view from the terrace at the asthma patient's home.
5. Who does Rieux confide in?
(a) His mother.
(b) Fr Paneloux
6. What is up with Grand?
(a) He has caught the plague.
(b) He is afraid of Cottard.
(c) He is having a psychotic breakdown.
(d) He is exhausted.
7. In what activity has Cottard become involved?
(a) Smuggling. (Profiteering from the plague.)
(b) Volunteering to assist in the fight against the plague.
(c) Writing a novel.
(d) Running guns to Mardeilles.
8. Who is the gunman whom the police arrest?
(a) Raymond Rambert.
(b) The asthma patient.
(c) A municipal employee.
9. With whom is Fr Paneloux billeted?
(a) Cardinal Richelieu.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) An old woman.
(d) Dr. Rieux.
10. For which people has the plague not ended?
(a) Staff in the municipal offices.
(b) Those who have no-one to greet them on arrival.
(c) The doctors.
(d) Priests and nuns.
11. Who is the worst affected emotionally when the patient dies?
(a) Dr. Rieux.
(b) Fr Paneloux.
(c) M. Othon
(d) M. Tarrou
12. What was the elder Tarrou's obsession?
(a) The railway directory.
(b) Model trains.
(d) Watching court cases.
13. What important experience shaped Tarrou's view of capital punishment?
(a) Watching murderers set free without punishment.
(b) Watching executions in Burma.
(c) Watching executions in Hungary.
(d) Reading about Nazi Germany.
14. What is the situation with food supply?
(a) There is no more flour for brioche.
(b) Food needs to be imported.
(c) The town is about to run out of food.
(d) It is thought that this will soon improve.
15. The plague is changing in two ways. What is the first way?
(a) People die only every second day.
(b) The death rate drops dramatically.
(c) The death rate climbs dramatically.
(d) The death rate becomes steady,
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tarrou respond to his father's court performance?
2. Which prominent citizen joins the volunteers?
3. Who makes a rueful observance about the feast day?
4. What happens on January 25th?
5. How is food distributed to the people in the camp?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)