|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pippi want to take on a picnic with Tommy and Annika?
2. Who calls for a cheer for Pippi after she saves the boys?
3. How do Tommy and Annika get money to go to the circus?
4. Where does Pippi ask Tommy and Annika to sit while she takes advantage of the vacation?
5. What language does the ticket taker speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Pippi doing when Tommy invited her to the coffee party, and why was this so strange?
2. What does Pippi do to the angry bull?
3. What happens when Pippi pays a gold coin to get into the circus?
4. What did Pippi do to the pie at the coffee party?
5. How does Annika describe the circus to Pippi?
6. How did Pippi get ready for the coffee party?
7. Why does Pippi not know what to do on a Sunday afternoon?
8. What blocks the way when the children head to the picnic, and how do they get around it?
9. What does Tommy wish as they leave the picnic, and what is Pippi's response to this?
10. What does Pippi make the thieves do after she ties them up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were a number of magical elements in this book. What are some of these elements, and how do they shape the setting of this plot?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Settengren was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)