|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following might have served as a church in early frontier life?
(b) Clearing in the woods.
(c) Individual homes.
(d) Community center.
2. From which of the following did teachers teach in frontier schools?
(a) Their own lessons.
(b) The Bible.
(d) University books.
3. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
(a) Trading posts.
(b) Stagecoach lines.
4. What was the most famous immigrant community in Kansas?
5. How many Kansas men joined the Union army when the Civil War came?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what Kansas town was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor?
2. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders liked cowboys coming through their territory?
3. For the most part there was no _____________ in Kansas, especially by the start of the Civil War.
4. In what year did Kansas officially become a state?
5. If a town did not have a schoolhouse, where would the teacher hold class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was John Brown and what was his role in the slavery issue in Kansas?
2. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
3. Describe the teaching environment in one of the first constructed schoolhouses.
4. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
5. What role did religion play in the lives of the homesteaders and which denominations were primarily represented?
6. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
7. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
8. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
9. How would the pioneers fund the building of new churches and how were they built and furnished?
10. Who was Susannah Medora Salter and for what is she famous?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)