|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One way that families made money to fund a church was __________________.
(a) To sell encyclopedias.
(b) To sell Bibles.
(c) To hold a bake sale.
(d) To sell raffle tickets.
2. Who planned and directed a cattle drive?
(d) Trail boss.
3. For the most part there was no _____________ in Kansas, especially by the start of the Civil War.
4. In what type of elections were women given the right to vote in 1861?
5. Children had to spread their time between school and _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the cook feed the men on a cattle drive?
2. Kansas was predominantly ______________ at this time.
3. Who was the legendary abolitionist who waged war against pro-slavery towns and groups in Kansas?
4. Which of the following might have served as a church in early frontier life?
5. General stores also served as _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was meant by a preacher who was a "circuit rider"?
2. Explain the slavery issue in Kansas and what the Kansas-Nebraska Ace of 1854 decided.
3. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
4. Who was Susannah Medora Salter and for what is she famous?
5. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
6. Describe a school environment in a woman's home.
7. How were towns established on the frontier?
8. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
9. Describe the teaching environment in one of the first constructed schoolhouses.
10. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)