|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Kansas women win the federal right to vote?
2. From which of the following did teachers teach in frontier schools?
(a) Their own lessons.
(b) The Bible.
(d) University books.
3. What was an issue of constant tension in Kansas from its very beginning?
4. What was usually the only thing in a family of any real worth?
5. Which of the following towns sprang up around the cattle drive business?
(c) San Diego.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kansas was the ___________ state in the union to grant women the right to vote in federal elections.
2. Early Kansas newspapers published which type of the following information?
3. Why were men not attracted to frontier teaching positions?
4. How many English people were attracted to settle in Victoria?
5. Who was the prohibitionist who introduced legislation to prohibit the sale of alcohol?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a school environment in a woman's home.
2. What was the role of the prairie women in regard to education?
3. Who was John Brown and what was his role in the slavery issue in Kansas?
4. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
5. Who was William C. Quantrill and what is he famous for during the Civil War?
6. What was the process that ultimately led to women's voting rights on the city level?
7. What issue united women as they began to get more of a voice in governmental, moral and social issues?
8. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
9. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
10. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)