|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was the statewide Equal Suffrage Association created?
2. Where did the cook feed the men on a cattle drive?
(a) Grub lean-to.
(b) Big table.
(c) Chuck wagon.
(d) Supper tent.
3. In prairie schools at a teacher's home the same material would be taught to children of all ages and there were no _____________.
4. In what city did William C. Quantrill base his operations?
(a) Fort Scott.
5. Which group fought fiercely for Kansas in the slavery issue?
(a) Pro-slavery proponents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon was Carry Nation notorious for using?
2. What was the most famous immigrant community in Kansas?
3. Why were meat supplies low in the East?
4. Early Kansas newspapers published which type of the following information?
5. In what Kansas town was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
2. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
3. What issue united women as they began to get more of a voice in governmental, moral and social issues?
4. What was the role of the early newspapers established in Kansas?
5. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
6. How were towns established on the frontier?
7. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
8. What was the role of the prairie women in regard to education?
9. Explain the slavery issue in Kansas and what the Kansas-Nebraska Ace of 1854 decided.
10. What was considered to be one of the worst crimes on the frontier and how were criminals punished?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)