|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who planned and directed a cattle drive?
(a) Trail boss.
2. What was the minimum acreage of dedicated township to establish a town?
(a) 50 acres.
(b) 320 acres.
(c) 1000 acres.
(d) 500 acres.
3. Kansas was predominantly ______________ at this time.
4. What was the first issue to unite many women in Kansas?
(c) Voting rights.
5. The nature of a town could be changed with diverted railroad traffic or _____________________.
(a) An altered stagecoach line.
(b) Government intervention.
(c) Lots of new settlers.
(d) A new sheriff.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were meat supplies low in the East?
2. Which of the following was true for most frontier hotels?
3. William C. Quantrill's most famous exploit against a Federal prison left 200 buildings in ruins and killed _______ people.
4. Kansas was the ___________ state in the union to grant women the right to vote in federal elections.
5. General stores also served as _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What issue united women as they began to get more of a voice in governmental, moral and social issues?
2. What role did religion play in the lives of the homesteaders and which denominations were primarily represented?
3. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
4. What was considered to be one of the worst crimes on the frontier and how were criminals punished?
5. Explain the slavery issue in Kansas and what the Kansas-Nebraska Ace of 1854 decided.
6. What was the role of the prairie women in regard to education?
7. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
8. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
9. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
10. What types of businesses were lured to towns and how permanent were these new communities?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)