|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders did not like cowboys coming through their territory?
(a) They were dirty and refused to bathe.
(b) They flirted with the girls in town.
(c) They got drunk in town.
(d) The cows stomped crops.
2. In what year was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor of a Kansas town?
3. People of which nationality immigrated to settle in Kansas?
4. Which of the following meant the end to open range cattle drives?
(a) ASPCA movement.
(b) Vegetarian movement.
(c) Increased fencing.
(d) East Coast ranches.
5. The majority of prairie teachers were _________________.
(a) Frontier mothers.
(b) Women from bigger cities.
(c) Young girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Children had to spread their time between school and _____________.
2. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
3. Which of the following did the school districts control?
4. What was the minimum acreage of dedicated township to establish a town?
5. Why were inns hard to maintain on the frontier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
2. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
3. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
4. What was the role of the early newspapers established in Kansas?
5. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
6. Describe a school environment in a woman's home.
7. Explain the slavery issue in Kansas and what the Kansas-Nebraska Ace of 1854 decided.
8. Why were cowboys and cattle drives both a blessing and a curse to pioneer families?
9. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
10. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)