|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which of the following did teachers teach in frontier schools?
(a) The Bible.
(b) University books.
(d) Their own lessons.
2. What was the group that wanted to end slavery?
(a) Ku Klux Klan.
(b) Jim Crow.
3. How many people comprised an average School Board?
4. In which of the following areas did women gain more influence toward the end of the pioneer period?
(a) Governmental affairs.
(b) Marital affairs.
(c) Religious issues.
(d) Economic issues.
5. The nature of a town could be changed with diverted railroad traffic or _____________________.
(a) Lots of new settlers.
(b) An altered stagecoach line.
(c) Government intervention.
(d) A new sheriff.
Short Answer Questions
1. Professional teachers would sometimes supplement their meager income by ______________________.
2. Who planned and directed a cattle drive?
3. What document gave each territory the right to decide slavery for itself?
4. Who was the legendary abolitionist who waged war against pro-slavery towns and groups in Kansas?
5. In what year was the statewide Equal Suffrage Association created?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
2. What was meant by a preacher who was a "circuit rider"?
3. What was the role of the prairie women in regard to education?
4. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
5. Describe the teaching environment in one of the first constructed schoolhouses.
6. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
7. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
8. Who was John Brown and what was his role in the slavery issue in Kansas?
9. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
10. How were towns established on the frontier?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)