|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people comprised an average School Board?
2. What was an issue of constant tension in Kansas from its very beginning?
3. The majority of prairie teachers were _________________.
(a) Young girls.
(b) Women from bigger cities.
(d) Frontier mothers.
4. Which of the following was true for most frontier hotels?
(a) They were brothels.
(b) Small guest rooms.
(c) Room service available.
(d) Fireplace in every room.
5. What movement did Kansas participate in to help runaway slaves?
(a) Underground Railroad.
(b) The Kansas Abolitionists.
(c) Christians Against Slavery.
(d) The Federalists.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did the town of Victoria last?
2. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders did not like cowboys coming through their territory?
3. In what type of elections were women given the right to vote in 1861?
4. What was one of the most serious crimes on the frontier?
5. When a General Store grew, it divided into separate departments that could include ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a school environment in a woman's home.
2. How were towns established on the frontier?
3. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
4. What issue united women as they began to get more of a voice in governmental, moral and social issues?
5. What was meant by a preacher who was a "circuit rider"?
6. What was the most popular immigrant community in Kansas and what eventually happened to the town and its founder?
7. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
8. What types of businesses were lured to towns and how permanent were these new communities?
9. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
10. Who was Susannah Medora Salter and for what is she famous?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)