|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was the Kansas town of Osawatomie attacked?
2. Who planned and directed a cattle drive?
(d) Trail boss.
3. Why did circuit riding become popular among frontier preachers?
(a) They were trying to convert the Indians.
(b) They were trying to get as many people as possible for their church.
(c) They were sparse and needed to serve more than one church.
(d) They also served as blacksmiths.
4. Why were cattle driven to Kansas and points East?
(a) They could follow old trails.
(b) To replenish the meat supply in the East.
(c) They brought higher prices there.
(d) They could not cross the Rockies.
5. As the frontier became settled and a new society emerged, there was a need for _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following served as furnishings in early frontier churches?
2. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders did not like cowboys coming through their territory?
3. In what year did Kansas decide to become a state?
4. What organization initiated real change in the temperance movement in Kansas?
5. Why were inns hard to maintain on the frontier?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were cowboys and cattle drives both a blessing and a curse to pioneer families?
2. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
3. What types of businesses were lured to towns and how permanent were these new communities?
4. Who was Susannah Medora Salter and for what is she famous?
5. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
6. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
7. What was meant by a preacher who was a "circuit rider"?
8. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
9. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
10. How would the pioneers fund the building of new churches and how were they built and furnished?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)