|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. People of which nationality immigrated to settle in Kansas?
2. What was the first issue to unite many women in Kansas?
(c) Voting rights.
3. Which of the following was a basic business for a frontier town?
(b) Book shop.
4. Between what years did the majority of cattle drives take place on the American frontier?
5. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
(c) Stagecoach lines.
(d) Trading posts.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did William C. Quantrill base his operations?
2. In what type of elections were women given the right to vote in 1861?
3. Why did Texas ranchers have to rely on cattle drives?
4. Professional teachers would sometimes supplement their meager income by ______________________.
5. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders did not like cowboys coming through their territory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was meant by a preacher who was a "circuit rider"?
2. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
3. How were towns established on the frontier?
4. What issue united women as they began to get more of a voice in governmental, moral and social issues?
5. How would the pioneers fund the building of new churches and how were they built and furnished?
6. Describe a school environment in a woman's home.
7. Why were cowboys and cattle drives both a blessing and a curse to pioneer families?
8. What was considered to be one of the worst crimes on the frontier and how were criminals punished?
9. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
10. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)