|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the frontier became settled and a new society emerged, there was a need for _______________.
2. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
(a) Trading posts.
(b) Stagecoach lines.
3. Who was the most notorious leader of the guerilla warfare Confederates?
(a) Wade Stewart.
(b) Wallace E. Beauregard.
(c) William J. Lawrence.
(d) William C. Quantrill.
4. The first schoolhouses usually had nothing more than a stove and a __________________.
(d) Small slate blackboard.
5. Which of the following was true for most frontier hotels?
(a) Small guest rooms.
(b) They were brothels.
(c) Room service available.
(d) Fireplace in every room.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Kansas officially become a state?
2. In prairie schools at a teacher's home the same material would be taught to children of all ages and there were no _____________.
3. What served as a blackboard in a teacher's home?
4. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders liked cowboys coming through their territory?
5. What was usually the only thing in a family of any real worth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was considered to be one of the worst crimes on the frontier and how were criminals punished?
2. What issue united women as they began to get more of a voice in governmental, moral and social issues?
3. What was meant by a preacher who was a "circuit rider"?
4. What was the most popular immigrant community in Kansas and what eventually happened to the town and its founder?
5. What was the process that ultimately led to women's voting rights on the city level?
6. How were towns established on the frontier?
7. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
8. Describe the teaching environment in one of the first constructed schoolhouses.
9. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
10. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)