|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were meat supplies low in the East?
(a) Devastated by the Civil War.
(b) No one wanted to raise livestock.
(c) Mad Cow Disease wiped out the herds.
(d) The grazing land was gone in the West.
2. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked?
(a) The Union army was encamped there.
(b) Abraham Lincoln was giving a speech there.
(c) John Brown lived there.
(d) Five sons of John Brown lived there.
3. What was distinctive about Susannah Medora Salter's election?
(a) She won against the incumbent who had the job for 20 years.
(b) She had no interest in politics.
(c) She was the first woman in the nation to be elected mayor.
(d) She was 75-years-old when elected.
4. In what year did Kansas women win the federal right to vote?
5. What did speculators offer businesses to come to town?
(a) Free housing.
(b) Free advertising.
(c) Tax breaks.
(d) Free real estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did the school districts control?
2. How many English people were attracted to settle in Victoria?
3. From which of the following did teachers teach in frontier schools?
4. Why were cattle driven to Kansas and points East?
5. What document gave each territory the right to decide slavery for itself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was meant by a preacher who was a "circuit rider"?
2. What was considered to be one of the worst crimes on the frontier and how were criminals punished?
3. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
4. Explain the slavery issue in Kansas and what the Kansas-Nebraska Ace of 1854 decided.
5. Why were cowboys and cattle drives both a blessing and a curse to pioneer families?
6. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
7. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
8. What was the role of the prairie women in regard to education?
9. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
10. How were towns established on the frontier?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)