|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. General stores also served as _____________.
(c) Blacksmith shops.
(d) Post offices.
2. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
(a) Stagecoach lines.
(c) Trading posts.
3. How many years did the town of Victoria last?
4. Children had to spread their time between school and _____________.
5. Why were cattle driven to Kansas and points East?
(a) They brought higher prices there.
(b) To replenish the meat supply in the East.
(c) They could not cross the Rockies.
(d) They could follow old trails.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following might have served as a church in early frontier life?
2. Professional teachers would sometimes supplement their meager income by ______________________.
3. How many English people were attracted to settle in Victoria?
4. What did speculators offer businesses to come to town?
5. In what year did Kansas women win the federal right to vote?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the role of the prairie women in regard to education?
2. What was the process that ultimately led to women's voting rights on the city level?
3. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
4. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
5. Who was Susannah Medora Salter and for what is she famous?
6. How were towns established on the frontier?
7. What was the role of the early newspapers established in Kansas?
8. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
9. What was considered to be one of the worst crimes on the frontier and how were criminals punished?
10. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)