|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did the school districts control?
(a) Hiring of preachers.
(b) Native American laws.
(c) Tax levies.
2. In what year was the statewide Equal Suffrage Association created?
3. Which of the following was true for most frontier hotels?
(a) Fireplace in every room.
(b) Room service available.
(c) Small guest rooms.
(d) They were brothels.
4. In what type of elections were women given the right to vote in 1861?
5. In what city did William C. Quantrill base his operations?
(c) Fort Scott.
6. What weapon was Carry Nation notorious for using?
(a) Fireplace poker.
7. Who was the prohibitionist who introduced legislation to prohibit the sale of alcohol?
(a) William Seward.
(b) Wade Chasen.
(c) John St. John.
(d) John Brown.
8. For the most part there was no _____________ in Kansas, especially by the start of the Civil War.
9. What document gave each territory the right to decide slavery for itself?
(a) Jim Crow Laws.
(b) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(c) The Monroe Doctrine.
(d) The Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854.
10. The nature of a town could be changed with diverted railroad traffic or _____________________.
(a) Lots of new settlers.
(b) An altered stagecoach line.
(c) A new sheriff.
(d) Government intervention.
11. What did speculators offer businesses to come to town?
(a) Free real estate.
(b) Free advertising.
(c) Free housing.
(d) Tax breaks.
12. What invention in the early 1880s helped the homesteaders protect themselves from cattle drives?
(a) Winchester rifles.
(b) Invisible fencing.
(c) Cattle prods.
(d) Barbed wire.
13. Who founded the immigrant community of Victoria?
(a) Sir George Grant.
(b) Sir James Carlton.
(c) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(d) Sir Paul McCracken.
14. Why did Texas ranchers have to rely on cattle drives?
(a) Their cattle counts grew too fast.
(b) They needed to thwart rustlers.
(c) That was their main industry.
(d) They did not have railroads.
15. Who planned and directed a cattle drive?
(b) Trail boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the most serious crimes on the frontier?
2. If a town did not have a schoolhouse, where would the teacher hold class?
3. In addition to temperance what other issue was important to Kansas women in the late 1850s?
4. What served as a blackboard in a teacher's home?
5. In which of the following areas did women gain more influence toward the end of the pioneer period?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)