|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the most famous immigrant community in Kansas?
2. Towns on the frontier had a(n) ______________ quality.
(d) Boom or bust.
3. In what year did Kansas women win the federal right to vote?
4. Which of the following might have served as a church in early frontier life?
(a) Community center.
(b) Individual homes.
(c) Clearing in the woods.
5. From which of the following did teachers teach in frontier schools?
(a) The Bible.
(b) University books.
(c) Their own lessons.
6. Early Kansas newspapers published which type of the following information?
(a) News from New York.
(b) Vacant land for sale.
(c) Native Americans moving into the area.
7. How many years did the town of Victoria last?
8. What was usually the only thing in a family of any real worth?
9. In what town was Kansas' first woman's suffrage organization created?
10. Who was the legendary abolitionist who waged war against pro-slavery towns and groups in Kansas?
(a) John Brown.
(b) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Jim Crow.
11. Kansas was predominantly ______________ at this time.
12. Who attacked the town of Osawatomie?
(b) Pro-slavery forces.
13. In what year did Kansas women win the right to vote in city elections?
14. If a frontier town didn't have a jail, a prisoner might be locked up in __________________.
(a) An underground bunker.
(b) A stable.
(c) A stagecoach.
(d) A church.
15. In addition to temperance what other issue was important to Kansas women in the late 1850s?
(a) Women's suffrage.
(d) Birth control.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a General Store grew, it divided into separate departments that could include ______________.
2. What business became the hub of the frontier town?
3. One way that families made money to fund a church was __________________.
4. In what Kansas town was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor?
5. What was Carry Nation's rallying cry as she wrecked saloons?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)