|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was an issue of constant tension in Kansas from its very beginning?
2. Which group fought fiercely for Kansas in the slavery issue?
(c) Pro-slavery proponents.
3. Why were cattle driven to Kansas and points East?
(a) To replenish the meat supply in the East.
(b) They could not cross the Rockies.
(c) They could follow old trails.
(d) They brought higher prices there.
4. People of which nationality immigrated to settle in Kansas?
5. Early Kansas newspapers published which type of the following information?
(a) Native Americans moving into the area.
(c) News from New York.
(d) Vacant land for sale.
6. In what year was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor of a Kansas town?
7. What movement did Kansas participate in to help runaway slaves?
(a) Underground Railroad.
(b) The Federalists.
(c) The Kansas Abolitionists.
(d) Christians Against Slavery.
8. Which of the following served as furnishings in early frontier churches?
(a) Backless benches.
(b) Windsor chairs.
(d) Brocade drapes.
9. What location in a frontier town was popular as a rest stop for travelers?
(c) Dry Good Store.
10. What organization initiated real change in the temperance movement in Kansas?
(a) Kansas Women's Temperance Movement.
(b) Christian Kansas Women's Temperance League.
(c) National Women's Christian Temperance Union.
(d) Sober and Strong Women for Kansas.
11. For the most part there was no _____________ in Kansas, especially by the start of the Civil War.
12. As the frontier became settled and a new society emerged, there was a need for _______________.
13. What did speculators offer businesses to come to town?
(a) Tax breaks.
(b) Free housing.
(c) Free advertising.
(d) Free real estate.
14. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
(b) Stagecoach lines.
(c) Trading posts.
15. In what year was a constitutional amendment introduced to give women the right to vote?
Short Answer Questions
1. What invention in the early 1880s helped the homesteaders protect themselves from cattle drives?
2. In what city did William C. Quantrill base his operations?
3. In addition to temperance what other issue was important to Kansas women in the late 1850s?
4. What was usually the only thing in a family of any real worth?
5. Who founded the immigrant community of Victoria?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)