|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was true for most frontier hotels?
(a) Room service available.
(b) Small guest rooms.
(c) They were brothels.
(d) Fireplace in every room.
2. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders did not like cowboys coming through their territory?
(a) The cows stomped crops.
(b) They were dirty and refused to bathe.
(c) They got drunk in town.
(d) They flirted with the girls in town.
3. General stores also served as _____________.
(a) Post offices.
(c) Blacksmith shops.
4. How many years did the town of Victoria last?
5. When a General Store grew, it divided into separate departments that could include ______________.
6. How did the frontier circuit preacher supplement his meager income?
(a) Relied on housing and food from his congregation.
(b) Tutored students.
(c) Did carpentry work.
(d) Shoed horses.
7. If a town did not have a schoolhouse, where would the teacher hold class?
(a) In her own home.
(b) In the dry good store.
(c) In the church.
(d) In a dugout.
8. How many English people were attracted to settle in Victoria?
9. In what Kansas town was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor?
10. Who founded the immigrant community of Victoria?
(a) Sir Paul McCracken.
(b) Sir George Grant.
(c) Sir James Carlton.
(d) Sir Walter Raleigh.
11. How many people comprised an average School Board?
12. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked?
(a) Five sons of John Brown lived there.
(b) John Brown lived there.
(c) The Union army was encamped there.
(d) Abraham Lincoln was giving a speech there.
13. What was Carry Nation's rallying cry as she wrecked saloons?
(a) "Smashing bottles, saving souls."
(b) "Another victory over demon rum."
(c) "Be gone, demon rum."
(d) "Smash, women, smash."
14. Who was the legendary abolitionist who waged war against pro-slavery towns and groups in Kansas?
(a) Jim Crow.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(d) John Brown.
15. Children had to spread their time between school and _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was a constitutional amendment introduced to give women the right to vote?
2. What invention in the early 1880s helped the homesteaders protect themselves from cattle drives?
3. William C. Quantrill's most famous exploit against a Federal prison left 200 buildings in ruins and killed _______ people.
4. What movement did Kansas participate in to help runaway slaves?
5. In what year did Kansas women win the right to vote in city elections?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)