|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Kansas officially become a state?
2. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders liked cowboys coming through their territory?
(a) They could buy livestock.
(b) New people to talk to.
(c) Fresh meat for their families.
(d) Cow chips.
3. In addition to temperance what other issue was important to Kansas women in the late 1850s?
(a) Birth control.
(d) Women's suffrage.
4. In what year did Kansas women win the federal right to vote?
5. How many people comprised an average School Board?
6. General stores also served as _____________.
(b) Blacksmith shops.
(c) Post offices.
7. When newspapers grew they became more subjective and filled with _______________.
(a) Weather reports.
8. In what year was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor of a Kansas town?
9. Some of the Kansas soldiers went east and some _____________________.
(a) Stayed in Kansas to fight guerilla warfare Confederates.
(b) Went to Canada.
(c) Went to New York to work in army offices.
(d) Went directly south.
10. Why were cattle driven to Kansas and points East?
(a) They brought higher prices there.
(b) They could not cross the Rockies.
(c) They could follow old trails.
(d) To replenish the meat supply in the East.
11. What document gave each territory the right to decide slavery for itself?
(a) The Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854.
(b) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(c) The Monroe Doctrine.
(d) Jim Crow Laws.
12. Which of the following meant the end to open range cattle drives?
(a) ASPCA movement.
(b) Increased fencing.
(c) Vegetarian movement.
(d) East Coast ranches.
13. In which of the following areas did women gain more influence toward the end of the pioneer period?
(a) Marital affairs.
(b) Governmental affairs.
(c) Economic issues.
(d) Religious issues.
14. Between what years did the majority of cattle drives take place on the American frontier?
15. Which of the following did the school districts control?
(a) Hiring of preachers.
(b) Tax levies.
(c) Native American laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was true for most frontier hotels?
2. What organization initiated real change in the temperance movement in Kansas?
3. Which of the following might have served as a church in early frontier life?
4. In what year was a constitutional amendment introduced to give women the right to vote?
5. What was usually the only thing in a family of any real worth?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)