|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first schoolhouses usually had nothing more than a stove and a __________________.
(a) Small slate blackboard.
2. What movement did Kansas participate in to help runaway slaves?
(a) The Kansas Abolitionists.
(b) The Federalists.
(c) Underground Railroad.
(d) Christians Against Slavery.
3. In what year did Kansas decide to become a state?
4. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
(b) Trading posts.
(d) Stagecoach lines.
5. Which of the following was a basic business for a frontier town?
(c) Book shop.
6. What was the minimum acreage of dedicated township to establish a town?
(a) 1000 acres.
(b) 500 acres.
(c) 320 acres.
(d) 50 acres.
7. Why were men not attracted to frontier teaching positions?
(a) They didn't have the education.
(b) They preferred to farm.
(c) They didn't think it was manly work.
(d) Insufficient salary.
8. The nature of a town could be changed with diverted railroad traffic or _____________________.
(a) Government intervention.
(b) Lots of new settlers.
(c) An altered stagecoach line.
(d) A new sheriff.
9. How many English people were attracted to settle in Victoria?
10. What was distinctive about Susannah Medora Salter's election?
(a) She was 75-years-old when elected.
(b) She was the first woman in the nation to be elected mayor.
(c) She had no interest in politics.
(d) She won against the incumbent who had the job for 20 years.
11. People of which nationality immigrated to settle in Kansas?
12. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked?
(a) Abraham Lincoln was giving a speech there.
(b) John Brown lived there.
(c) Five sons of John Brown lived there.
(d) The Union army was encamped there.
13. What was the group that wanted to end slavery?
(a) Jim Crow.
(b) Ku Klux Klan.
14. One way that families made money to fund a church was __________________.
(a) To hold a bake sale.
(b) To sell Bibles.
(c) To sell encyclopedias.
(d) To sell raffle tickets.
15. Why did Texas ranchers have to rely on cattle drives?
(a) Their cattle counts grew too fast.
(b) That was their main industry.
(c) They needed to thwart rustlers.
(d) They did not have railroads.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the Kansas town of Osawatomie attacked?
2. Where did the cook feed the men on a cattle drive?
3. What was the first issue to unite many women in Kansas?
4. Professional teachers would sometimes supplement their meager income by ______________________.
5. Why were meat supplies low in the East?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)