|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much was the average pay for a month's work on a cattle drive?
2. How did the frontier circuit preacher supplement his meager income?
(a) Tutored students.
(b) Relied on housing and food from his congregation.
(c) Did carpentry work.
(d) Shoed horses.
3. How many Kansas men joined the Union army when the Civil War came?
4. Which of the following was true for most frontier hotels?
(a) Room service available.
(b) They were brothels.
(c) Small guest rooms.
(d) Fireplace in every room.
5. In what year did Kansas women win the right to vote in city elections?
6. General stores also served as _____________.
(a) Blacksmith shops.
(b) Post offices.
7. What invention in the early 1880s helped the homesteaders protect themselves from cattle drives?
(a) Cattle prods.
(b) Winchester rifles.
(c) Barbed wire.
(d) Invisible fencing.
8. Which group fought fiercely for Kansas in the slavery issue?
(a) Pro-slavery proponents.
9. What was the minimum acreage of dedicated township to establish a town?
(a) 1000 acres.
(b) 320 acres.
(c) 500 acres.
(d) 50 acres.
10. In what Kansas town was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor?
11. What percentage of the adult male population of Kansas joined the Union army when the Civil War came?
12. Why were meat supplies low in the East?
(a) No one wanted to raise livestock.
(b) The grazing land was gone in the West.
(c) Devastated by the Civil War.
(d) Mad Cow Disease wiped out the herds.
13. What was the first issue to unite many women in Kansas?
(c) Voting rights.
14. What document gave each territory the right to decide slavery for itself?
(a) The Monroe Doctrine.
(b) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(c) The Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854.
(d) Jim Crow Laws.
15. As the frontier became settled and a new society emerged, there was a need for _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders liked cowboys coming through their territory?
2. Early Kansas newspapers published which type of the following information?
3. Which of the following did the school districts control?
4. Which of the following was a basic business for a frontier town?
5. What was the group that wanted to end slavery?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)