|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did speculators offer businesses to come to town?
(a) Free real estate.
(b) Tax breaks.
(c) Free advertising.
(d) Free housing.
2. How did the frontier circuit preacher supplement his meager income?
(a) Did carpentry work.
(b) Shoed horses.
(c) Tutored students.
(d) Relied on housing and food from his congregation.
3. Why were meat supplies low in the East?
(a) Mad Cow Disease wiped out the herds.
(b) No one wanted to raise livestock.
(c) The grazing land was gone in the West.
(d) Devastated by the Civil War.
4. As the frontier became settled and a new society emerged, there was a need for _______________.
5. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked?
(a) Abraham Lincoln was giving a speech there.
(b) The Union army was encamped there.
(c) Five sons of John Brown lived there.
(d) John Brown lived there.
6. What business became the hub of the frontier town?
(c) General store.
7. In what type of elections were women given the right to vote in 1861?
8. Who attacked the town of Osawatomie?
(c) Pro-slavery forces.
9. People of which nationality immigrated to settle in Kansas?
10. What was the minimum acreage of dedicated township to establish a town?
(a) 500 acres.
(b) 320 acres.
(c) 1000 acres.
(d) 50 acres.
11. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders liked cowboys coming through their territory?
(a) New people to talk to.
(b) They could buy livestock.
(c) Fresh meat for their families.
(d) Cow chips.
12. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
(b) Stagecoach lines.
(d) Trading posts.
13. In what year was a constitutional amendment introduced to give women the right to vote?
14. How many Kansas men joined the Union army when the Civil War came?
15. What was the first issue to unite many women in Kansas?
(c) Voting rights.
Short Answer Questions
1. What served as a blackboard in a teacher's home?
2. Which of the following was a basic business for a frontier town?
3. Why did Texas ranchers have to rely on cattle drives?
4. What organization initiated real change in the temperance movement in Kansas?
5. Which of the following towns sprang up around the cattle drive business?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)