|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What invention in the early 1880s helped the homesteaders protect themselves from cattle drives?
(a) Cattle prods.
(b) Barbed wire.
(c) Invisible fencing.
(d) Winchester rifles.
2. Which of the following towns sprang up around the cattle drive business?
(b) San Diego.
3. Where did the cook feed the men on a cattle drive?
(a) Big table.
(b) Grub lean-to.
(c) Supper tent.
(d) Chuck wagon.
4. In what town was Kansas' first woman's suffrage organization created?
5. In what year did Kansas decide to become a state?
6. Why did circuit riding become popular among frontier preachers?
(a) They were sparse and needed to serve more than one church.
(b) They were trying to convert the Indians.
(c) They also served as blacksmiths.
(d) They were trying to get as many people as possible for their church.
7. In addition to temperance what other issue was important to Kansas women in the late 1850s?
(c) Women's suffrage.
(d) Birth control.
8. In what year was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor of a Kansas town?
9. Some of the Kansas soldiers went east and some _____________________.
(a) Went directly south.
(b) Went to New York to work in army offices.
(c) Went to Canada.
(d) Stayed in Kansas to fight guerilla warfare Confederates.
10. For what is Carry Nation best known?
(a) Shooting the president.
(b) Becoming a preacher.
(c) Founding the University of Kansas.
(d) Being a Prohibitionist.
11. If a frontier town didn't have a jail, a prisoner might be locked up in __________________.
(a) A stable.
(b) An underground bunker.
(c) A stagecoach.
(d) A church.
12. What business became the hub of the frontier town?
(b) General store.
13. What organization initiated real change in the temperance movement in Kansas?
(a) Sober and Strong Women for Kansas.
(b) Kansas Women's Temperance Movement.
(c) National Women's Christian Temperance Union.
(d) Christian Kansas Women's Temperance League.
14. Which of the following did the cowboys do in town once the cattle drive was over?
(a) Went to church.
(b) Wrote letters home.
(c) Settled in town.
(d) Got cleaned up at the Barber Shop.
15. Who planned and directed a cattle drive?
(c) Trail boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Kansas men joined the Union army when the Civil War came?
2. What was an issue of constant tension in Kansas from its very beginning?
3. Towns on the frontier had a(n) ______________ quality.
4. Professional teachers would sometimes supplement their meager income by ______________________.
5. What was the group that wanted to end slavery?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)