|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the most part there was no _____________ in Kansas, especially by the start of the Civil War.
2. In prairie schools at a teacher's home the same material would be taught to children of all ages and there were no _____________.
3. In what city did William C. Quantrill base his operations?
(a) Fort Scott.
4. In what year did Kansas women win the right to vote in city elections?
5. Kansas was predominantly ______________ at this time.
6. Which of the following did the cowboys do in town once the cattle drive was over?
(a) Settled in town.
(b) Went to church.
(c) Got cleaned up at the Barber Shop.
(d) Wrote letters home.
7. How much was the average pay for a month's work on a cattle drive?
8. What would usually happen to someone caught stealing a horse?
(a) He would be sentenced to prison.
(b) He would be hanged.
(c) He would be run out of town.
(d) He would be whipped.
9. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders liked cowboys coming through their territory?
(a) They could buy livestock.
(b) Cow chips.
(c) Fresh meat for their families.
(d) New people to talk to.
10. Which of the following might have served as a church in early frontier life?
(b) Community center.
(c) Clearing in the woods.
(d) Individual homes.
11. Some of the Kansas soldiers went east and some _____________________.
(a) Went to New York to work in army offices.
(b) Stayed in Kansas to fight guerilla warfare Confederates.
(c) Went to Canada.
(d) Went directly south.
12. In what year was the Kansas town of Osawatomie attacked?
13. Between what years did the majority of cattle drives take place on the American frontier?
14. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked?
(a) Five sons of John Brown lived there.
(b) The Union army was encamped there.
(c) John Brown lived there.
(d) Abraham Lincoln was giving a speech there.
15. What percentage of the adult male population of Kansas joined the Union army when the Civil War came?
Short Answer Questions
1. Kansas was the ___________ state in the union to grant women the right to vote in federal elections.
2. What was usually the only thing in a family of any real worth?
3. Who was the prohibitionist who introduced legislation to prohibit the sale of alcohol?
4. Who planned and directed a cattle drive?
5. What was one of the most serious crimes on the frontier?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)