|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what Kansas town was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor?
2. Why did Texas ranchers have to rely on cattle drives?
(a) They did not have railroads.
(b) That was their main industry.
(c) Their cattle counts grew too fast.
(d) They needed to thwart rustlers.
3. What business became the hub of the frontier town?
(b) General store.
4. Why were inns hard to maintain on the frontier?
(a) Lack of food.
(b) High food prices.
(c) No advertising.
(d) Native Americans in the area.
5. What was one of the most serious crimes on the frontier?
(a) Horse thievery.
(b) Tax evasion.
(d) Land speculation.
6. Some of the Kansas soldiers went east and some _____________________.
(a) Went to Canada.
(b) Went directly south.
(c) Stayed in Kansas to fight guerilla warfare Confederates.
(d) Went to New York to work in army offices.
7. What was the group that wanted to end slavery?
(b) Jim Crow.
(c) Ku Klux Klan.
8. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders liked cowboys coming through their territory?
(a) Fresh meat for their families.
(b) They could buy livestock.
(c) New people to talk to.
(d) Cow chips.
9. What invention in the early 1880s helped the homesteaders protect themselves from cattle drives?
(a) Cattle prods.
(b) Barbed wire.
(c) Invisible fencing.
(d) Winchester rifles.
10. In what year was a constitutional amendment introduced to give women the right to vote?
11. One way that families made money to fund a church was __________________.
(a) To hold a bake sale.
(b) To sell Bibles.
(c) To sell raffle tickets.
(d) To sell encyclopedias.
12. What weapon was Carry Nation notorious for using?
(c) Fireplace poker.
13. Children had to spread their time between school and _____________.
14. Which of the following did the school districts control?
(a) Tax levies.
(c) Native American laws.
(d) Hiring of preachers.
15. What was the minimum acreage of dedicated township to establish a town?
(a) 320 acres.
(b) 500 acres.
(c) 1000 acres.
(d) 50 acres.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first issue to unite many women in Kansas?
2. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
3. Towns on the frontier had a(n) ______________ quality.
4. In prairie schools at a teacher's home the same material would be taught to children of all ages and there were no _____________.
5. Where did the cook feed the men on a cattle drive?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)