|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The nature of a town could be changed with diverted railroad traffic or _____________________.
(a) Government intervention.
(b) Lots of new settlers.
(c) A new sheriff.
(d) An altered stagecoach line.
2. Who founded the immigrant community of Victoria?
(a) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(b) Sir James Carlton.
(c) Sir Paul McCracken.
(d) Sir George Grant.
3. The majority of prairie teachers were _________________.
(b) Young girls.
(c) Frontier mothers.
(d) Women from bigger cities.
4. Who attacked the town of Osawatomie?
(d) Pro-slavery forces.
5. In what Kansas town was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor?
6. In what year was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor of a Kansas town?
7. Early Kansas newspapers published which type of the following information?
(a) Vacant land for sale.
(b) News from New York.
(d) Native Americans moving into the area.
8. In what year did Kansas women win the federal right to vote?
9. Who was the legendary abolitionist who waged war against pro-slavery towns and groups in Kansas?
(a) Jim Crow.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(d) John Brown.
10. When a General Store grew, it divided into separate departments that could include ______________.
11. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
(a) Trading posts.
(b) Stagecoach lines.
12. Why were men not attracted to frontier teaching positions?
(a) They didn't have the education.
(b) Insufficient salary.
(c) They preferred to farm.
(d) They didn't think it was manly work.
13. Which of the following towns sprang up around the cattle drive business?
(d) San Diego.
14. What was the group that wanted to end slavery?
(b) Jim Crow.
(d) Ku Klux Klan.
15. For what is Carry Nation best known?
(a) Being a Prohibitionist.
(b) Becoming a preacher.
(c) Shooting the president.
(d) Founding the University of Kansas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did circuit riding become popular among frontier preachers?
2. Why did Texas ranchers have to rely on cattle drives?
3. In which of the following areas did women gain more influence toward the end of the pioneer period?
4. Between what years did the majority of cattle drives take place on the American frontier?
5. Why were meat supplies low in the East?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)