|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What movement did Kansas participate in to help runaway slaves?
(a) Christians Against Slavery.
(b) The Kansas Abolitionists.
(c) The Federalists.
(d) Underground Railroad.
2. Why were men not attracted to frontier teaching positions?
(a) Insufficient salary.
(b) They didn't think it was manly work.
(c) They preferred to farm.
(d) They didn't have the education.
3. The nature of a town could be changed with diverted railroad traffic or _____________________.
(a) A new sheriff.
(b) Government intervention.
(c) Lots of new settlers.
(d) An altered stagecoach line.
4. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
(c) Trading posts.
(d) Stagecoach lines.
5. In what year did Kansas decide to become a state?
6. Which of the following was true for most frontier hotels?
(a) Fireplace in every room.
(b) Small guest rooms.
(c) They were brothels.
(d) Room service available.
7. Which of the following served as furnishings in early frontier churches?
(a) Brocade drapes.
(b) Backless benches.
(c) Windsor chairs.
8. Between what years did the majority of cattle drives take place on the American frontier?
9. What was the most famous immigrant community in Kansas?
10. If a town did not have a schoolhouse, where would the teacher hold class?
(a) In the church.
(b) In the dry good store.
(c) In a dugout.
(d) In her own home.
11. In what Kansas town was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor?
12. Who was the most notorious leader of the guerilla warfare Confederates?
(a) William J. Lawrence.
(b) William C. Quantrill.
(c) Wallace E. Beauregard.
(d) Wade Stewart.
13. How many Kansas men joined the Union army when the Civil War came?
14. In what town was Kansas' first woman's suffrage organization created?
15. Which of the following did the school districts control?
(a) Native American laws.
(b) Hiring of preachers.
(c) Tax levies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders did not like cowboys coming through their territory?
2. For the most part there was no _____________ in Kansas, especially by the start of the Civil War.
3. General stores also served as _____________.
4. What invention in the early 1880s helped the homesteaders protect themselves from cattle drives?
5. How did the frontier circuit preacher supplement his meager income?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)