|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was distinctive about Susannah Medora Salter's election?
(a) She won against the incumbent who had the job for 20 years.
(b) She was the first woman in the nation to be elected mayor.
(c) She had no interest in politics.
(d) She was 75-years-old when elected.
2. Which of the following was a basic business for a frontier town?
(c) Book shop.
3. What weapon was Carry Nation notorious for using?
(c) Fireplace poker.
4. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders did not like cowboys coming through their territory?
(a) They were dirty and refused to bathe.
(b) They flirted with the girls in town.
(c) They got drunk in town.
(d) The cows stomped crops.
5. In what year was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor of a Kansas town?
6. The nature of a town could be changed with diverted railroad traffic or _____________________.
(a) An altered stagecoach line.
(b) A new sheriff.
(c) Government intervention.
(d) Lots of new settlers.
7. In what town was Kansas' first woman's suffrage organization created?
8. What served as a blackboard in a teacher's home?
(a) Wood planks.
(b) Dirt floor.
(c) Cotton material.
9. The majority of prairie teachers were _________________.
(a) Young girls.
(b) Frontier mothers.
(c) Women from bigger cities.
10. In what year did Kansas officially become a state?
11. Kansas was the ___________ state in the union to grant women the right to vote in federal elections.
12. What was the minimum acreage of dedicated township to establish a town?
(a) 500 acres.
(b) 320 acres.
(c) 1000 acres.
(d) 50 acres.
13. In what year was the statewide Equal Suffrage Association created?
14. What invention in the early 1880s helped the homesteaders protect themselves from cattle drives?
(a) Invisible fencing.
(b) Winchester rifles.
(c) Barbed wire.
(d) Cattle prods.
15. Which of the following did the school districts control?
(b) Hiring of preachers.
(c) Native American laws.
(d) Tax levies.
Short Answer Questions
1. One way that families made money to fund a church was __________________.
2. Which group fought fiercely for Kansas in the slavery issue?
3. For what is Carry Nation best known?
4. In what year was the Kansas town of Osawatomie attacked?
5. Towns on the frontier had a(n) ______________ quality.
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)