|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Kansas officially become a state?
2. Why were cattle driven to Kansas and points East?
(a) They could follow old trails.
(b) They could not cross the Rockies.
(c) To replenish the meat supply in the East.
(d) They brought higher prices there.
3. What was the group that wanted to end slavery?
(b) Ku Klux Klan.
(c) Jim Crow.
4. What was one of the most serious crimes on the frontier?
(a) Tax evasion.
(c) Land speculation.
(d) Horse thievery.
5. What would usually happen to someone caught stealing a horse?
(a) He would be run out of town.
(b) He would be whipped.
(c) He would be hanged.
(d) He would be sentenced to prison.
6. Towns on the frontier had a(n) ______________ quality.
(b) Boom or bust.
7. In what year was the Kansas town of Osawatomie attacked?
8. How did the frontier circuit preacher supplement his meager income?
(a) Shoed horses.
(b) Relied on housing and food from his congregation.
(c) Did carpentry work.
(d) Tutored students.
9. In what year did Kansas women win the right to vote in city elections?
10. The majority of prairie teachers were _________________.
(b) Young girls.
(c) Women from bigger cities.
(d) Frontier mothers.
11. What document gave each territory the right to decide slavery for itself?
(a) The Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854.
(b) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(c) The Monroe Doctrine.
(d) Jim Crow Laws.
12. Why were meat supplies low in the East?
(a) No one wanted to raise livestock.
(b) Mad Cow Disease wiped out the herds.
(c) Devastated by the Civil War.
(d) The grazing land was gone in the West.
13. Between what years did the majority of cattle drives take place on the American frontier?
14. What did speculators offer businesses to come to town?
(a) Free housing.
(b) Free real estate.
(c) Tax breaks.
(d) Free advertising.
15. Which of the following meant the end to open range cattle drives?
(a) Vegetarian movement.
(b) Increased fencing.
(c) East Coast ranches.
(d) ASPCA movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people comprised an average School Board?
2. Where did the cook feed the men on a cattle drive?
3. In what Kansas town was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor?
4. Who founded the immigrant community of Victoria?
5. Why did circuit riding become popular among frontier preachers?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)