|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were men not attracted to frontier teaching positions?
(a) They didn't have the education.
(b) Insufficient salary.
(c) They didn't think it was manly work.
(d) They preferred to farm.
2. Who planned and directed a cattle drive?
(b) Trail boss.
3. What was the first issue to unite many women in Kansas?
(b) Voting rights.
4. Which of the following was a basic business for a frontier town?
(b) Book shop.
5. What was one of the most serious crimes on the frontier?
(a) Horse thievery.
(c) Tax evasion.
(d) Land speculation.
6. If a frontier town didn't have a jail, a prisoner might be locked up in __________________.
(a) A stagecoach.
(b) A church.
(c) An underground bunker.
(d) A stable.
7. In which of the following areas did women gain more influence toward the end of the pioneer period?
(a) Economic issues.
(b) Marital affairs.
(c) Governmental affairs.
(d) Religious issues.
8. Towns on the frontier had a(n) ______________ quality.
(d) Boom or bust.
9. People of which nationality immigrated to settle in Kansas?
10. If a town did not have a schoolhouse, where would the teacher hold class?
(a) In the dry good store.
(b) In her own home.
(c) In the church.
(d) In a dugout.
11. Who attacked the town of Osawatomie?
(a) Pro-slavery forces.
12. William C. Quantrill's most famous exploit against a Federal prison left 200 buildings in ruins and killed _______ people.
13. What document gave each territory the right to decide slavery for itself?
(a) The Monroe Doctrine.
(b) The Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854.
(c) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(d) Jim Crow Laws.
14. Which of the following might have served as a church in early frontier life?
(a) Individual homes.
(c) Clearing in the woods.
(d) Community center.
15. Early Kansas newspapers published which type of the following information?
(a) Vacant land for sale.
(b) Native Americans moving into the area.
(c) News from New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the frontier became settled and a new society emerged, there was a need for _______________.
2. In addition to temperance what other issue was important to Kansas women in the late 1850s?
3. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders did not like cowboys coming through their territory?
4. Which of the following served as furnishings in early frontier churches?
5. Where did the cook feed the men on a cattle drive?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)