|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were cattle driven to Kansas and points East?
(a) They could not cross the Rockies.
(b) They brought higher prices there.
(c) They could follow old trails.
(d) To replenish the meat supply in the East.
2. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked?
(a) Abraham Lincoln was giving a speech there.
(b) Five sons of John Brown lived there.
(c) John Brown lived there.
(d) The Union army was encamped there.
3. How did the frontier circuit preacher supplement his meager income?
(a) Did carpentry work.
(b) Shoed horses.
(c) Tutored students.
(d) Relied on housing and food from his congregation.
4. What was the most famous immigrant community in Kansas?
5. In addition to temperance what other issue was important to Kansas women in the late 1850s?
(a) Birth control.
(b) Women's suffrage.
6. What was usually the only thing in a family of any real worth?
7. Who was the legendary abolitionist who waged war against pro-slavery towns and groups in Kansas?
(a) John Brown.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(d) Jim Crow.
8. In what year did Kansas officially become a state?
9. Which of the following served as furnishings in early frontier churches?
(a) Windsor chairs.
(b) Backless benches.
(d) Brocade drapes.
10. What invention in the early 1880s helped the homesteaders protect themselves from cattle drives?
(a) Cattle prods.
(b) Barbed wire.
(c) Winchester rifles.
(d) Invisible fencing.
11. Which of the following meant the end to open range cattle drives?
(a) Vegetarian movement.
(b) East Coast ranches.
(c) ASPCA movement.
(d) Increased fencing.
12. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
(a) Stagecoach lines.
(b) Trading posts.
13. Why did Texas ranchers have to rely on cattle drives?
(a) Their cattle counts grew too fast.
(b) They needed to thwart rustlers.
(c) That was their main industry.
(d) They did not have railroads.
14. Some of the Kansas soldiers went east and some _____________________.
(a) Went to Canada.
(b) Went directly south.
(c) Went to New York to work in army offices.
(d) Stayed in Kansas to fight guerilla warfare Confederates.
15. If a town did not have a schoolhouse, where would the teacher hold class?
(a) In a dugout.
(b) In her own home.
(c) In the church.
(d) In the dry good store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the cook feed the men on a cattle drive?
2. Which of the following did the cowboys do in town once the cattle drive was over?
3. The first schoolhouses usually had nothing more than a stove and a __________________.
4. What organization initiated real change in the temperance movement in Kansas?
5. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders liked cowboys coming through their territory?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)