|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Kansas decide to become a state?
2. What served as a blackboard in a teacher's home?
(a) Cotton material.
(b) Dirt floor.
(d) Wood planks.
3. Professional teachers would sometimes supplement their meager income by ______________________.
(b) Boarding at one of the students' homes.
(c) Writing books.
4. In what year was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor of a Kansas town?
5. Which of the following was true for most frontier hotels?
(a) They were brothels.
(b) Room service available.
(c) Fireplace in every room.
(d) Small guest rooms.
6. Which of the following might have served as a church in early frontier life?
(a) Community center.
(b) Clearing in the woods.
(d) Individual homes.
7. How many years did the town of Victoria last?
8. Who founded the immigrant community of Victoria?
(a) Sir George Grant.
(b) Sir Paul McCracken.
(c) Sir James Carlton.
(d) Sir Walter Raleigh.
9. In what Kansas town was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor?
10. What business became the hub of the frontier town?
(b) General store.
11. Why did Texas ranchers have to rely on cattle drives?
(a) They needed to thwart rustlers.
(b) They did not have railroads.
(c) Their cattle counts grew too fast.
(d) That was their main industry.
12. Who was the most notorious leader of the guerilla warfare Confederates?
(a) Wade Stewart.
(b) Wallace E. Beauregard.
(c) William J. Lawrence.
(d) William C. Quantrill.
13. What was the first issue to unite many women in Kansas?
(a) Voting rights.
14. Between what years did the majority of cattle drives take place on the American frontier?
15. What movement did Kansas participate in to help runaway slaves?
(a) The Federalists.
(b) Underground Railroad.
(c) The Kansas Abolitionists.
(d) Christians Against Slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people comprised an average School Board?
2. Why did circuit riding become popular among frontier preachers?
3. Which group fought fiercely for Kansas in the slavery issue?
4. For the most part there was no _____________ in Kansas, especially by the start of the Civil War.
5. In what city did William C. Quantrill base his operations?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)