|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. William C. Quantrill's most famous exploit against a Federal prison left 200 buildings in ruins and killed _______ people.
2. Who attacked the town of Osawatomie?
(c) Pro-slavery forces.
3. How many years did the town of Victoria last?
4. In what year was the Kansas town of Osawatomie attacked?
5. Some of the Kansas soldiers went east and some _____________________.
(a) Stayed in Kansas to fight guerilla warfare Confederates.
(b) Went directly south.
(c) Went to New York to work in army offices.
(d) Went to Canada.
6. In what type of elections were women given the right to vote in 1861?
7. One way that families made money to fund a church was __________________.
(a) To sell Bibles.
(b) To sell encyclopedias.
(c) To sell raffle tickets.
(d) To hold a bake sale.
8. Why did Texas ranchers have to rely on cattle drives?
(a) They needed to thwart rustlers.
(b) They did not have railroads.
(c) That was their main industry.
(d) Their cattle counts grew too fast.
9. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders did not like cowboys coming through their territory?
(a) They got drunk in town.
(b) They flirted with the girls in town.
(c) The cows stomped crops.
(d) They were dirty and refused to bathe.
10. What was an issue of constant tension in Kansas from its very beginning?
11. In what Kansas town was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor?
12. Between what years did the majority of cattle drives take place on the American frontier?
13. Why were inns hard to maintain on the frontier?
(a) Native Americans in the area.
(b) High food prices.
(c) Lack of food.
(d) No advertising.
14. From which of the following did teachers teach in frontier schools?
(a) The Bible.
(c) University books.
(d) Their own lessons.
15. What location in a frontier town was popular as a rest stop for travelers?
(a) Dry Good Store.
Short Answer Questions
1. The majority of prairie teachers were _________________.
2. Which of the following towns sprang up around the cattle drive business?
3. How much was the average pay for a month's work on a cattle drive?
4. As the frontier became settled and a new society emerged, there was a need for _______________.
5. In what year did Kansas women win the right to vote in city elections?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)