|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first schoolhouses usually had nothing more than a stove and a __________________.
(a) Small slate blackboard.
2. Which of the following was a basic business for a frontier town?
(d) Book shop.
3. Which of the following towns sprang up around the cattle drive business?
(d) San Diego.
4. What document gave each territory the right to decide slavery for itself?
(a) Jim Crow Laws.
(b) The Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854.
(c) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(d) The Monroe Doctrine.
5. Which of the following did the school districts control?
(a) Native American laws.
(b) Hiring of preachers.
(d) Tax levies.
6. What did speculators offer businesses to come to town?
(a) Free real estate.
(b) Free advertising.
(c) Tax breaks.
(d) Free housing.
7. Where did the cook feed the men on a cattle drive?
(a) Big table.
(b) Supper tent.
(c) Grub lean-to.
(d) Chuck wagon.
8. People of which nationality immigrated to settle in Kansas?
9. General stores also served as _____________.
(c) Post offices.
(d) Blacksmith shops.
10. The majority of prairie teachers were _________________.
(a) Women from bigger cities.
(c) Young girls.
(d) Frontier mothers.
11. Why were men not attracted to frontier teaching positions?
(a) They didn't have the education.
(b) They didn't think it was manly work.
(c) They preferred to farm.
(d) Insufficient salary.
12. In what year did Kansas women win the federal right to vote?
13. How many people comprised an average School Board?
14. How did the frontier circuit preacher supplement his meager income?
(a) Tutored students.
(b) Shoed horses.
(c) Did carpentry work.
(d) Relied on housing and food from his congregation.
15. In prairie schools at a teacher's home the same material would be taught to children of all ages and there were no _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following areas did women gain more influence toward the end of the pioneer period?
2. Professional teachers would sometimes supplement their meager income by ______________________.
3. In what year was the Kansas town of Osawatomie attacked?
4. Which group fought fiercely for Kansas in the slavery issue?
5. In what year did Kansas women win the right to vote in city elections?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)