|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was the statewide Equal Suffrage Association created?
2. Towns on the frontier had a(n) ______________ quality.
(d) Boom or bust.
3. Where did the cook feed the men on a cattle drive?
(a) Big table.
(b) Grub lean-to.
(c) Supper tent.
(d) Chuck wagon.
4. Who attacked the town of Osawatomie?
(c) Pro-slavery forces.
5. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders did not like cowboys coming through their territory?
(a) They got drunk in town.
(b) They flirted with the girls in town.
(c) They were dirty and refused to bathe.
(d) The cows stomped crops.
6. What served as a blackboard in a teacher's home?
(b) Cotton material.
(c) Dirt floor.
(d) Wood planks.
7. How many people comprised an average School Board?
8. Who planned and directed a cattle drive?
(d) Trail boss.
9. How much was the average pay for a month's work on a cattle drive?
10. One way that families made money to fund a church was __________________.
(a) To hold a bake sale.
(b) To sell encyclopedias.
(c) To sell raffle tickets.
(d) To sell Bibles.
11. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
(c) Trading posts.
(d) Stagecoach lines.
12. What would usually happen to someone caught stealing a horse?
(a) He would be run out of town.
(b) He would be whipped.
(c) He would be hanged.
(d) He would be sentenced to prison.
13. Which of the following meant the end to open range cattle drives?
(a) Increased fencing.
(b) Vegetarian movement.
(c) East Coast ranches.
(d) ASPCA movement.
14. In addition to temperance what other issue was important to Kansas women in the late 1850s?
(b) Birth control.
(d) Women's suffrage.
15. Why were cattle driven to Kansas and points East?
(a) To replenish the meat supply in the East.
(b) They could not cross the Rockies.
(c) They brought higher prices there.
(d) They could follow old trails.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did William C. Quantrill base his operations?
2. Professional teachers would sometimes supplement their meager income by ______________________.
3. Why were meat supplies low in the East?
4. In what Kansas town was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor?
5. What was the minimum acreage of dedicated township to establish a town?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)