|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If a frontier town didn't have a jail, a prisoner might be locked up in __________________.
(a) A church.
(b) An underground bunker.
(c) A stable.
(d) A stagecoach.
2. What was usually the only thing in a family of any real worth?
3. As the frontier became settled and a new society emerged, there was a need for _______________.
4. How many people comprised an average School Board?
5. Who was the legendary abolitionist who waged war against pro-slavery towns and groups in Kansas?
(a) John Brown.
(b) Jim Crow.
(c) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
6. People of which nationality immigrated to settle in Kansas?
7. Some of the Kansas soldiers went east and some _____________________.
(a) Stayed in Kansas to fight guerilla warfare Confederates.
(b) Went to Canada.
(c) Went to New York to work in army offices.
(d) Went directly south.
8. Children had to spread their time between school and _____________.
9. What weapon was Carry Nation notorious for using?
(a) Fireplace poker.
10. In what year did Kansas officially become a state?
11. For the most part there was no _____________ in Kansas, especially by the start of the Civil War.
12. Which of the following meant the end to open range cattle drives?
(a) Increased fencing.
(b) East Coast ranches.
(c) ASPCA movement.
(d) Vegetarian movement.
13. How much was the average pay for a month's work on a cattle drive?
14. When a General Store grew, it divided into separate departments that could include ______________.
15. Which of the following served as furnishings in early frontier churches?
(a) Backless benches.
(c) Windsor chairs.
(d) Brocade drapes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movement did Kansas participate in to help runaway slaves?
2. In what city did William C. Quantrill base his operations?
3. In what year did Kansas women win the federal right to vote?
4. What was the first issue to unite many women in Kansas?
5. In addition to temperance what other issue was important to Kansas women in the late 1850s?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)