|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked?
(a) John Brown lived there.
(b) Five sons of John Brown lived there.
(c) Abraham Lincoln was giving a speech there.
(d) The Union army was encamped there.
2. People of which nationality immigrated to settle in Kansas?
3. Professional teachers would sometimes supplement their meager income by ______________________.
(b) Boarding at one of the students' homes.
(c) Writing books.
4. What did speculators offer businesses to come to town?
(a) Free housing.
(b) Free advertising.
(c) Tax breaks.
(d) Free real estate.
5. For what is Carry Nation best known?
(a) Shooting the president.
(b) Becoming a preacher.
(c) Founding the University of Kansas.
(d) Being a Prohibitionist.
6. What organization initiated real change in the temperance movement in Kansas?
(a) Kansas Women's Temperance Movement.
(b) National Women's Christian Temperance Union.
(c) Sober and Strong Women for Kansas.
(d) Christian Kansas Women's Temperance League.
7. Early Kansas newspapers published which type of the following information?
(a) News from New York.
(b) Native Americans moving into the area.
(c) Vacant land for sale.
8. Children had to spread their time between school and _____________.
9. Which of the following meant the end to open range cattle drives?
(a) East Coast ranches.
(b) Vegetarian movement.
(c) Increased fencing.
(d) ASPCA movement.
10. What business became the hub of the frontier town?
(c) General store.
11. In what year did Kansas women win the federal right to vote?
12. In addition to temperance what other issue was important to Kansas women in the late 1850s?
(a) Birth control.
(b) Women's suffrage.
13. Which of the following towns sprang up around the cattle drive business?
(b) San Diego.
14. Who planned and directed a cattle drive?
(c) Trail boss.
15. Which of the following might have served as a church in early frontier life?
(b) Community center.
(c) Clearing in the woods.
(d) Individual homes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following served as furnishings in early frontier churches?
2. How did the frontier circuit preacher supplement his meager income?
3. How many years did the town of Victoria last?
4. What was the most famous immigrant community in Kansas?
5. From which of the following did teachers teach in frontier schools?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)