|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the group that wanted to end slavery?
(c) Jim Crow.
(d) Ku Klux Klan.
2. If a town did not have a schoolhouse, where would the teacher hold class?
(a) In the dry good store.
(b) In her own home.
(c) In a dugout.
(d) In the church.
3. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked?
(a) John Brown lived there.
(b) Abraham Lincoln was giving a speech there.
(c) Five sons of John Brown lived there.
(d) The Union army was encamped there.
4. What served as a blackboard in a teacher's home?
(a) Wood planks.
(b) Dirt floor.
(d) Cotton material.
5. One way that families made money to fund a church was __________________.
(a) To sell Bibles.
(b) To sell raffle tickets.
(c) To hold a bake sale.
(d) To sell encyclopedias.
6. Which of the following did the school districts control?
(a) Native American laws.
(b) Hiring of preachers.
(c) Tax levies.
7. What was an issue of constant tension in Kansas from its very beginning?
8. Towns on the frontier had a(n) ______________ quality.
(c) Boom or bust.
9. The first schoolhouses usually had nothing more than a stove and a __________________.
(a) Small slate blackboard.
10. If a frontier town didn't have a jail, a prisoner might be locked up in __________________.
(a) A church.
(b) An underground bunker.
(c) A stagecoach.
(d) A stable.
11. What movement did Kansas participate in to help runaway slaves?
(a) The Federalists.
(b) Underground Railroad.
(c) The Kansas Abolitionists.
(d) Christians Against Slavery.
12. How did the frontier circuit preacher supplement his meager income?
(a) Shoed horses.
(b) Did carpentry work.
(c) Relied on housing and food from his congregation.
(d) Tutored students.
13. How many people comprised an average School Board?
14. Who founded the immigrant community of Victoria?
(a) Sir James Carlton.
(b) Sir George Grant.
(c) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(d) Sir Paul McCracken.
15. In what year was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor of a Kansas town?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the most notorious leader of the guerilla warfare Confederates?
2. Who was the prohibitionist who introduced legislation to prohibit the sale of alcohol?
3. Why did circuit riding become popular among frontier preachers?
4. As the frontier became settled and a new society emerged, there was a need for _______________.
5. What document gave each territory the right to decide slavery for itself?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)