|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Blood feel the need for a fourth prostitute?
2. Where does Slim hide during his escape from the State Workforce?
3. What particularly pleases Slim about his escape from State Workforce?
4. Where is Mama living in 1953?
5. Why is Iceberg Slim's, or "Slim's," coke habit a secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Slim's reliance on drugs catch up with him in the end of chapter 15?
2. How does the relationship between Chris and Slim evolve during the 1940's in Chapter 14?
3. What does the sewer in the chapter 15 title refer to?
4. Why does Blood begin to feel like a real pimp in Chapter 13?
5. What prompts Runt to work harder after her return in Chapter 12?
6. Slim has two near-murder experiences in Chapter 20. Who does he nearly kill, how and why doesn't he?
7. Why does Leroy's arrest drive Chris to work for Blood?
8. How does the Chapter 22 title "Dawn" reflect the evolution of Slim's life at this stage?
9. How does his mother's death in Chapter 22 affect Slim's life?
10. When Slim meets his biological father again in Chapter 14, what difference becomes clear between his father's treatment and his mother's treatment in Slim's decision to become a pimp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Beck's early years, doctors, lawyers, bankers were the only high class "Negro" society he was exposed to that looked as well or lived as well as he and his family (with Henry Upshaw). Yet apparently this did not make enough of an impression upon him to lead him to highly value education and he is thrown out of Tuskegee University for bad behavior. In the late 1920's what were the educational and professional opportunities generally available to black men, and how did this affect Beck?
Essay Topic 2
Only eight of the prostitutes in Slim's life are given names, generally those with whom he has the longest or most pivotal relationship (No Thumbs Helen would be an exception to this). Otherwise, he goes through hundreds of girls and none of them are named and few are even relevant to the story. How is this a reflection on the real motivation behind a pimp? Is pimping really about women or sex or relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Steve and Slim's biological fathers. How are their influences on Slim's life and choices similar or different? Both will turn up again in Slim's life; how are those encounters different? How does Slim react to each encounter and how does he feel afterward?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)