|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "No Thumbs" Helen specialize in besides turning tricks?
2. Who brings Blood his breakfast at the beginning of Chapter 12?
3. What has Chris done with her life while Slim was in Leavenworth?
4. Where does Slim escape to from the State Workforce?
5. Where does Slim go after he "loses" Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Slim finally feels like he is totally alone when he is released from Leavenworth in Chapter 16 and discovers Chris has married and had a baby. Is his reaction to this information purely selfish or is it possible that he has himself contemplated marrying Chris and is jealous of her ability to establish love and stability for herself?
2. When Slim meets his biological father again in Chapter 14, what difference becomes clear between his father's treatment and his mother's treatment in Slim's decision to become a pimp?
3. Slim manages to move past blunt physical trauma to a more elegant finesse when he realizes he's in danger of losing Rachel in Chapter 20. How does Slim employ his psychological genius once again to ensure Rachel's loyalty?
4. Mavis is a female drug dealer and one of the few women in the story who is not a prostitute. How does Mavis being female make her an appropriate target for Slim's robbery attempt in Chapter 17?
5. What does the sewer in the chapter 15 title refer to?
6. How does Slim's reliance on drugs catch up with him in the end of chapter 15?
7. How is Slim working and spending his days now that he's off the drugs and living in Seattle in Chapter 21?
8. While out on bail in Chapter 16, how does Slim show his true colors as a friend to Sweet Jones and why?
9. Why is Chris one of the few people who knows that Slim is addicted to cocaine in Chapter 13?
10. What prompts Runt to work harder after her return in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Slim finally uses his intelligence towards a good and legitimate cause (studying the law so he can obtain his own early release) he is rewarded with an immediate positive feedback loop: he is released from prison early as he requested. How does this positive reinforcement encourage him to continue to employ his talents in positive directions?
Essay Topic 2
The following statement appears at the very beginning of the book "Pimp: The Story of My Life": "This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination or are use fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental." How does this statement affect the value of the story in your estimation?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 21, it is the news of Party Time's demise that finally provides the impetus for Slim to pull his life together and vow to quit drugs and pimping forever. What about this loss of his first street buddy, his first con partner, causes Slim to question every life decision he has made?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)