|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bobby and his family (biological mother and father) leave Chicago?
2. Who teaches Blood the sexual tricks he will continue to use later in his pimping career?
3. Who is Pretty Preston?
4. Prior to abandoning the family, what was the job of Bobby's father at the hotel?
5. Who identifies Poison for Blood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Another good name for Chapter 2 might be "Down a Dark Alley." What are three ways in which this name would be appropriate?
2. Did Blood's "pep talk" (beating) at the end of Chapter 6 have an effect on Runt in Chapter 7?
3. In spite of having worked as a pimp for less than a full day in Chicago, Blood nevertheless provides Runt with a full set of "rules for whoring" in the neighborhood. Why does he do this and where would he have gotten these rules?
4. Blood gets up on his second day in Chicago and immediately gets high before going out for the night in Chapter 7. How does this sequence of events foreshadow a potential for backfire in Blood's plan to befriend Glass Top to get to Sweet Jones?
5. Why does Runt's failure to return after the wire beating prompt Blood to think about calling Mama in Chapter 11?
6. Describe the con that Party Time and Bobby work on white men.
7. Diamond Tooth Jimmy and Party Time (Chapter 2), Weeping Shorty (Chapter 3), Poison, Sweet Jones, Glass Top and Pretty Preston are all street names for pimps and other characters of the underworld that Blood inhabits. What are some other professions that prefer or require nicknames for their operatives and why?
8. Who are the first pimps and prostitutes in young Bobby's life and how is his encounter with them a generally positive experience?
9. In Chapter 4, in spite of his quick score with Runt, what is Blood constantly reminding himself and why?
10. How does Party Time protect Bobby in Chapter 2, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Steve and Slim's biological fathers. How are their influences on Slim's life and choices similar or different? Both will turn up again in Slim's life; how are those encounters different? How does Slim react to each encounter and how does he feel afterward?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Runt and Chris. How do their backgrounds differ, particularly with respect to their involvement with Slim? How does this affect their personal interactions with Slim and his treatment and regard for them?
Essay Topic 3
When Slim finally uses his intelligence towards a good and legitimate cause (studying the law so he can obtain his own early release) he is rewarded with an immediate positive feedback loop: he is released from prison early as he requested. How does this positive reinforcement encourage him to continue to employ his talents in positive directions?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)