|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Runt and Blood immediately begin to do after they arrive in the Chapter 5 setting?
2. After Blood runs away from her, Melody is in a position to do what Pepper once did to Blood, hence his fear. What is it?
3. When Runt doesn't return after the wire beating, what does Blood realize about his relationship with Runt?
4. Chapter 8 is effectively "Day 3" in Blood's new life as a professional pimp with Runt as his working girl. After breakfast, how does Day 3 begin?
5. What was Pretty Preston's career before Sweet Jones double-crossed him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Party Time protect Bobby in Chapter 2, and why?
2. How is Bobby "torn from the nest"?
3. Why does Runt's failure to return after the wire beating prompt Blood to think about calling Mama in Chapter 11?
4. How does Blood's experience with Pepper instill in him a desire for money?
5. How does the incident with Melody provide a metaphor for Blood's relationship with and attitude towards the white world?
6. Describe the con that Party Time and Bobby work on white men.
7. How does Pretty Preston reveal his true colors in Chapter 6?
8. Why do Blood and Sweet Jones never discuss their differing opinions on white society?
9. Who are the first pimps and prostitutes in young Bobby's life and how is his encounter with them a generally positive experience?
10. Besides giving him his first street name, how does Weeping Shorty influence Blood's career as a pimp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prostitution is described as an almost wholly negative experience in the book "Pimp: The Story of My Life." Certainly those that worked for Slim didn't enjoy life all that often. However, there are many prostitutes (and non-prostitutes) who defend their line of work and demand decriminalization of the sex-trade (particularly to give them the legal status to avoid falling victim to their own pimps). Research the various arguments for and against legalizing prostitution and develop your own arguments for or against it.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Steve and Slim's biological fathers. How are their influences on Slim's life and choices similar or different? Both will turn up again in Slim's life; how are those encounters different? How does Slim react to each encounter and how does he feel afterward?
Essay Topic 3
When Slim finally uses his intelligence towards a good and legitimate cause (studying the law so he can obtain his own early release) he is rewarded with an immediate positive feedback loop: he is released from prison early as he requested. How does this positive reinforcement encourage him to continue to employ his talents in positive directions?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)