|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 8 is effectively "Day 3" in Blood's new life as a professional pimp with Runt as his working girl. After breakfast, how does Day 3 begin?
2. What new bar does Blood go to in Chapter 7?
3. Who identifies Poison for Blood?
4. What does Blood tell himself when Runt leaves and doesn't return after he beats her with the wire?
5. After his initial meeting with Runt, where does Blood go before leaving the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what two ways does Pepper influence Blood?
2. How does Pretty Preston reveal his true colors in Chapter 6?
3. In spite of having worked as a pimp for less than a full day in Chicago, Blood nevertheless provides Runt with a full set of "rules for whoring" in the neighborhood. Why does he do this and where would he have gotten these rules?
4. What are two ways in which the Melody incident is haunting for Blood in Chapter 7?
5. How does the Chapter 9 title "Butterfly" refer to Chris?
6. How does Blood show his courage and psychological insight in his dealings with Sweet Jones in Chapter 6?
7. In Chapter 4, what might be described as the final exam for graduation to full pimp status for Blood?
8. How is Pretty Preston used as a foil for Sweet Jones?
9. Another good name for Chapter 2 might be "Down a Dark Alley." What are three ways in which this name would be appropriate?
10. Did Blood's "pep talk" (beating) at the end of Chapter 6 have an effect on Runt in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The following statement appears at the very beginning of the book "Pimp: The Story of My Life": "This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination or are use fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental." How does this statement affect the value of the story in your estimation?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his life, Slim maintains contact with Mama, even going to sit by her deathbed for six months and ultimately forgiving her. Trace the evolution of Slim and Mama's relationship and show how the changes in their relationship are reflected in the concurrent changes in Slim's life, attitude and choices.
Essay Topic 3
In the World War II years, Sweet Jones makes the prediction that pimping will become tougher because women will now have more ways to make money legitimately. This is an entirely personal viewpoint, somewhat jaded by the nature of his business but, in fact, Sweet is right. How does the work environment change for women in World War II? What effect does this have on prostitution?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)