|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his initial meeting with Runt, where does Blood go before leaving the city?
(a) Mama's house.
(b) Pepper's house.
(c) His old hang-outs.
(d) His Parole Officer's office.
2. For what is Bobby finally thrown out of his university?
(a) Running a drug ring.
(b) Relationship with a female student.
(c) Prostitution of a female colleague.
(d) A bootlegging scheme.
3. Who is Blood told is the most successful pimp in the area (Chapter 5 setting)?
(a) Pretty Boy Junior.
(b) Sweet Jones.
(d) Pretty Preston.
4. Who says (s)he "sees Justice has her eyes blindfolded to hide the dollar bill signs that are there in the place of eyeballs"?
(b) Macking Youngblood.
(c) Weeping Shorty.
5. Where does Bobby enroll in college?
(a) University of Chicago.
(b) Howard University.
(c) University of Indiana.
(d) Tuskegee University.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Pretty Preston's career before Sweet Jones double-crossed him?
2. Chapter 3 describes Blood's participation in a con against Pepper which ultimately backfires. What is the original objective of the con?
3. How does Blood leave Melody?
4. What is different about his meeting with Runt after her night's work in Chapter 7?
5. Pepper turns the tables on the con Blood attempts and accuses him of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bobby/Slim say that from a pimp's perspective, looking back, Steve was an idiot and played the game with Mama all wrong?
2. Why do Blood and Sweet Jones never discuss their differing opinions on white society?
3. Like many of the chapters, the title of Chapter 6, "Drilling for Oil" may have multiple meanings. What are two possible interpretations of the "Oil" that Slim is drilling for?
4. How does Party Time protect Bobby in Chapter 2, and why?
5. Does it seem somewhat perverse that Blood whips Runt with a wire and then gets depressed when she leaves and doesn't come back by her usual time in Chapter 11? What does this say about the nature of an abusive relationship?
6. Besides giving him his first street name, how does Weeping Shorty influence Blood's career as a pimp?
7. Who are the first pimps and prostitutes in young Bobby's life and how is his encounter with them a generally positive experience?
8. Bobby accepts the invitation to attend Tuskegee University initially and only leaves when kicked out for bad behavior. How is Bobby's decision to attend college indicative of his frame of mind at this age?
9. How is Pretty Preston used as a foil for Sweet Jones?
10. Another good name for Chapter 2 might be "Down a Dark Alley." What are three ways in which this name would be appropriate?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)