|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Pretty Preston's career before Sweet Jones double-crossed him?
(b) Night Club owner.
(c) Police Officer.
(d) Drug Dealer.
2. What happens to Oscar while in Reformatory?
(a) He is released for good behavior.
(b) He goes to rehab.
(c) He goes to a mental institution.
(d) He is killed in a cafeteria brawl.
3. Chapter 3 describes Blood's participation in a con against Pepper which ultimately backfires. What is the original objective of the con?
4. Where do Blood and Melody go after they meet?
(a) Her sister's apartment.
(b) Her boyfriend's house.
(c) Her hotel room.
(d) Her house.
5. The failed con with Pepper reinforces what in Blood's mind?
(a) His need for sex.
(b) His dislike for other pimps.
(c) His hatred and distrust of women.
(d) His fear of jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Bobby's father leaves and Mama must make ends meet, how much does a hairstyle from Mama cost?
2. Blood and Runt leave Milwaukee and go where to begin their new lives?
3. What information does Glass Top give Blood in their first meeting?
4. Prior to abandoning the family, what was the job of Bobby's father at the hotel?
5. How long does Bobby spend in Reformatory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two ways in which the Melody incident is haunting for Blood in Chapter 7?
2. How is Pretty Preston used as a foil for Sweet Jones?
3. Why does Bobby/Slim say that from a pimp's perspective, looking back, Steve was an idiot and played the game with Mama all wrong?
4. In Chapter 4, what might be described as the final exam for graduation to full pimp status for Blood?
5. Thinking about the content and purpose of Chapter 5 in the story, what does the title "The Jungle Fauna" mean? What or where is the Jungle? What or who is the fauna? (When thinking about the Jungle, remember the title of Chapter 2, "First Steps into the Jungle.")
6. What is the essence of the "cop and blow" scheme in Chapter 10?
7. Besides giving him his first street name, how does Weeping Shorty influence Blood's career as a pimp?
8. Apart from a beating, what does Sweet Jones provide for Blood during their first meeting?
9. Many characters come and go in the story without being given names, even if they play a reasonably memorable role for the author (like the banker with the big tip in Chapter 1). However, in Chapter 9, Silas plays a singularly minor role and yet is given a name and place in the story. What significance could be attributed to this?
10. How does Blood show his courage and psychological insight in his dealings with Sweet Jones in Chapter 6?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)