|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pepper turns the tables on the con Blood attempts and accuses him of what?
(c) Drug dealing.
2. What is Bobby's grade average upon graduation?
3. Before marrying a rich man, what was Pepper doing?
(b) Hair styling.
(c) Drug dealing.
4. While Blood is sitting in his parked car outside the Roost, Pretty Preston jumps in and tells Blood what he plans to do to Sweet Jones for revenge. What is it?
(a) Steal his car.
(b) Steal three of his prostitutes.
(c) Shoot him in the head.
(d) Stab him in the back.
5. Who is Chris's husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who identifies Poison for Blood?
2. Who does Blood meet for the first time, his first night at the Roost?
3. After Pepper gets Blood sent to jail on false charges, Blood takes advantage of a different kind of education. What does Blood learn in jail?
4. How is Sweet Jones' motivation for pimping described?
5. When Bobby gets out of Reformatory, where is Mama working?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what might be described as the final exam for graduation to full pimp status for Blood?
2. How does Blood's experience with Pepper instill in him a desire for money?
3. How does Party Time protect Bobby in Chapter 2, and why?
4. Many characters come and go in the story without being given names, even if they play a reasonably memorable role for the author (like the banker with the big tip in Chapter 1). However, in Chapter 9, Silas plays a singularly minor role and yet is given a name and place in the story. What significance could be attributed to this?
5. Another good name for Chapter 2 might be "Down a Dark Alley." What are three ways in which this name would be appropriate?
6. What is one of Slim's secrets to success for pimping in Chicago?
7. How is Pretty Preston used as a foil for Sweet Jones?
8. Who are the first pimps and prostitutes in young Bobby's life and how is his encounter with them a generally positive experience?
9. Does it seem somewhat perverse that Blood whips Runt with a wire and then gets depressed when she leaves and doesn't come back by her usual time in Chapter 11? What does this say about the nature of an abusive relationship?
10. Why does Runt's failure to return after the wire beating prompt Blood to think about calling Mama in Chapter 11?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)