|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Runt doesn't return after the wire beating, what does Blood realize about his relationship with Runt?
(a) That he cares for her.
(b) That he has finally achieved total emotional indifference.
(c) That he hates her.
(d) That he's sick of her.
2. Memories of whom begin to haunt Blood as he physically abuses Runt for the first time?
(a) Henry Upshaw.
3. What does Runt complain about to Blood when he returns from Sweet Jones' house and discovers she hasn't left to start working?
(a) She claims she's sick and unable to work.
(b) She doesn't want to work anymore.
(c) She hates the other working girls she competes against.
(d) She's afraid of the police.
4. For what is Bobby finally thrown out of his university?
(a) Running a drug ring.
(b) Relationship with a female student.
(c) A bootlegging scheme.
(d) Prostitution of a female colleague.
5. When Bobby gets out of Reformatory, where is Mama working?
(a) Indianapolis hair salon.
(b) Minneapolis hotel.
(c) Chicago hotel.
(d) Minneapolis beauty shop.
6. What is Runt doing when Blood returns from Sweet Jones' penthouse at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Smoking marijuana.
(b) Crying in the bathroom.
(d) Drinking heavily.
7. One of the reasons Blood is initially captivated by Melody is her race and one of the outcomes of his involvement with her is further social confusion and dislike in Blood's mind. What race is Melody?
(c) Native American.
(d) African American.
8. After Pepper gets Blood sent to jail on false charges, Blood takes advantage of a different kind of education. What does Blood learn in jail?
(a) Getting started as a successful drug dealer.
(b) All the tips and tricks of a successful pimp.
(c) How to con a rich man.
(d) What he could have done at University.
9. Who says (s)he "sees Justice has her eyes blindfolded to hide the dollar bill signs that are there in the place of eyeballs"?
(a) Macking Youngblood.
(c) Weeping Shorty.
10. After Blood runs away from her, Melody is in a position to do what Pepper once did to Blood, hence his fear. What is it?
(a) She will work for another pimp.
(b) She will pretend to get pregnant.
(c) She can tell on him to his other prositututes.
(d) She can falsely accuse him of theft.
11. For their first "formal" meeting, how does Glass Top introduce Blood to Sweet Jones?
(a) As his son.
(b) With a joke.
(c) From his car.
(d) As his nephew.
12. Who is Pretty Preston?
(a) A former prostitute.
(b) A high class pimp.
(c) A former customer at the shoe shine store.
(d) A local store owner.
13. Who does Blood decide can get him a positive introduction to Sweet Jones so he can get what he wants from him?
(a) The owner of the Roost.
(c) Glass Top.
14. What happens to Henry after Mama and Bobby leave him for Steve?
(a) He becomes crippled for life after a car accident.
(b) He spends years searching for Bobby and Mama.
(c) He dies a year later.
(d) He loses his job and becomes homeless within months.
15. What does Blood go back to his car to do after his first encounter with Sweet Jones?
(a) To find and load his gun.
(b) To regroup and catch his breath.
(c) To check in with Runt.
(d) To meet with Pretty Preston.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Bobby spend in Reformatory?
2. In his last happy memory, young Bobby receives a large tip by a customer. How much is the tip?
3. Who is young Bobby's first sexual encounter?.
4. What reality of racial prejudice in the legal system is Blood faced with after his encounter with Melody?
5. Where does Bobby meet Pepper?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)