|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Believing natural disasters were sent by God is an example of what?
2. What serves as a catalyst to ready the birds for migration?
3. When Dillard scrapes the outer coating from a monarch's wing, what is left?
4. What does the author think about the price of fish?
5. For wild animals, Dillards sees enduring parasitic invasions as what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter seven is about spring. Spring is not just a season to the author, but both a natural and metaphysical event. How does Dillard understand spring? How do the creatures she observes help form her opinion? Use one story she has written about spring and animals to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
"Seeing," is the title of chapter two because the author realizes that in order to first discover and then understand, she must be able to see. What does Dillard mean by "seeing?" Is that different than "looking?" If you looked at an object would you call "seeing" it one thing and "looking" at it another? Why? What would the difference be?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about praying mantis. Include Dillard's observations, her knowledge from other sources, her reactions and feeling towards praying mantis and any beliefs she may have formed because of her thoughts on this insect.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)