|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of insects are parasites?
2. How did the Romans use the horns of the altar?
3. When Dillard saw migrating Canadian geese fly, speeding across the duck pond, what did she think?
4. What does Dillard see as the difference between a parasite and a predator?
5. What is the "Principle of Indeterminacy?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dillard's story about the tomcat in chapter one. Why did Dillard include this story in the book? What might be the meaning of this story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Dillard feel about harming creatures? What are some of the incidents from her childhood that helped formed these ideas? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter seven is about spring. Spring is not just a season to the author, but both a natural and metaphysical event. How does Dillard understand spring? How do the creatures she observes help form her opinion? Use one story she has written about spring and animals to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)