|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillard see as the difference between a parasite and a predator?
2. What is necessary in order for the the gooseneck barnacle to reproduce?
3. What does Dillard think the butterflies smell like?
4. How did early man view locusts?
5. In Chapter 14, what have arrived in swarm from the Hudson Bay area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One day while hiking, Dillard comes upon a coot, a water bird, notorious for its shyness. Dillard spends a great deal of space writing about her encounter with the coot. Describe the encounter and what Dillard thinks she learned from it.
Essay Topic 2
Dillard questions why insects seem so violent. She includes numerous examples and personal observations illustrating what seems to be violent behavior in insects. Describe some of her examples, including the insect's specific behavior and Dillard's thoughts when writing about the insect. Do you agree with Dillard's assessment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the scenes Dillard writes of from winters in her past. What had she observed that was cruel? What that was compassionate? Do you think winter lends itself more to cruel behavior than kindness? Why?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)