|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author believe about the difference between abundant plant life and abundant insect life?
2. Silvery eels swim to the sea after eight years of maturing in obscure creeks and rivers. What happens to them at the sea?
3. What does Dillard mean when she says she's willing to sacrifice a little blood in order to be "in the thick of things?"
4. What percentage of insects are parasites?
5. Dillard says that if plants had emotions, she would applaud this:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter One is title, "Heaven and Earth in Jest." What do you think Dillard meant by this title? What might be the jest? Does it seem true to you?
Essay Topic 2
Dillard questions why insects seem so violent. She includes numerous examples and personal observations illustrating what seems to be violent behavior in insects. Describe some of her examples, including the insect's specific behavior and Dillard's thoughts when writing about the insect. Do you agree with Dillard's assessment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter seven is about spring. Spring is not just a season to the author, but both a natural and metaphysical event. How does Dillard understand spring? How do the creatures she observes help form her opinion? Use one story she has written about spring and animals to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)