Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what have arrived in swarm from the Hudson Bay area?
2. The balance enables her to think about the beauty without doing what?
3. What percentage of insects are parasites?
4. In Chapter 13, Dillard quotes Van Gogh. What did she quote?
5. What could happen if the caribou migrate out of the Eskimo's range?
In chapter fourteen, Dillard wants to go "northing," as a means to pare down to the essence. She will not go "northing" this year, but she will wait where she is and welcome the North wind as it scours the land around her. What do you think she means by wanting to go "northing?" Discuss both the physical aspect and the mystical or spiritual aspect of this term as Dillard uses it.
In the first part of chapter eight, the author goes into great detail about many phenomena of the natural world. Write about some of the details she has written. How has her writing changed in this chapter to reflect the theme of the intricacy of nature?
In the final chapter of the book, the reader can see that in attempting to understand the natural world, the author is attempting to understand its creator. How does Dillard blend her observations of the natural world with what becomes of her beliefs in a creator? Use some of her writing to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)