Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what have arrived in swarm from the Hudson Bay area?
2. The balance enables her to think about the beauty without doing what?
3. What percentage of insects are parasites?
4. In Chapter 13, Dillard quotes Van Gogh. What did she quote?
5. What could happen if the caribou migrate out of the Eskimo's range?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "literal" seeing and "figurative" seeing as Dillard uses them. Give examples of each. How do these two terms relate to your life?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter fourteen, Dillard wants to go "northing," as a means to pare down to the essence. She will not go "northing" this year, but she will wait where she is and welcome the North wind as it scours the land around her. What do you think she means by wanting to go "northing?" Discuss both the physical aspect and the mystical or spiritual aspect of this term as Dillard uses it.
Essay Topic 3
The present is fleet. One barely glimpses it, and it is gone, Dillard writes. What is the present, according to the author? Why try to stay in it? How does the present compare to the past or the future? Have you ever tried to stay in the moment? Describe one situation when the author tried to stay in the now. Do you think it's possible to stay just in the now? Why or why not?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)