|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How large might a root system for winter rye grass plant grow?
2. What lures birds of all species out of their summer hiding places?
3. When ancient Hebrews sacrificed an animal to their god, how did they use the horns?
4. What percentage of insects are parasites?
5. For wild animals, Dillards sees enduring parasitic invasions as what?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dillard's encounter with the circular snake skin. How did she use it in thinking about time? Do you agree with her beliefs about time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "literal" seeing and "figurative" seeing as Dillard uses them. Give examples of each. How do these two terms relate to your life?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter seven is about spring. Spring is not just a season to the author, but both a natural and metaphysical event. How does Dillard understand spring? How do the creatures she observes help form her opinion? Use one story she has written about spring and animals to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)