|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, Dillard spies a snake. What kind is it?
2. What makes birds harder to watch than insects?
3. What would Dillard suggest for food instead of creature eating creature?
4. What does Dillard believe is destroyed in the flood?
5. What does the term the term "northing" mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the scenes Dillard writes of from winters in her past. What had she observed that was cruel? What that was compassionate? Do you think winter lends itself more to cruel behavior than kindness? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In the final chapter of the book, the reader can see that in attempting to understand the natural world, the author is attempting to understand its creator. How does Dillard blend her observations of the natural world with what becomes of her beliefs in a creator? Use some of her writing to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "literal" seeing and "figurative" seeing as Dillard uses them. Give examples of each. How do these two terms relate to your life?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)