|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillard find out about muskrats and humans?
2. Dillard says if nature is not monstrous, then why does it appear that way to humans?
3. What does Dillard think the butterflies smell like?
4. How much impact on any of the creatures, mountains, or creek around her does the author think she has?
5. When Dillard comes upon a rooting acorn, she imagines what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about praying mantis. Include Dillard's observations, her knowledge from other sources, her reactions and feeling towards praying mantis and any beliefs she may have formed because of her thoughts on this insect.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dillard's encounter with the circular snake skin. How did she use it in thinking about time? Do you agree with her beliefs about time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dillard questions why insects seem so violent. She includes numerous examples and personal observations illustrating what seems to be violent behavior in insects. Describe some of her examples, including the insect's specific behavior and Dillard's thoughts when writing about the insect. Do you agree with Dillard's assessment? Why or why not?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)