|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "Principle of Indeterminacy?"
2. What does Dillard believe the flood shows about nature?
3. What is necessary in order for the the gooseneck barnacle to reproduce?
4. What has Dillard decided is the meaning of death?
5. What does Dillard say about the muskrat fur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter One is title, "Heaven and Earth in Jest." What do you think Dillard meant by this title? What might be the jest? Does it seem true to you?
Essay Topic 2
Dillard questions why insects seem so violent. She includes numerous examples and personal observations illustrating what seems to be violent behavior in insects. Describe some of her examples, including the insect's specific behavior and Dillard's thoughts when writing about the insect. Do you agree with Dillard's assessment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter three, "Winter," Dillard suggests that with or without human interference, nature continues to exist. What do you think she meant by this? Give two examples and explain why the examples illustrate this principle.
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)