|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fecundity could be defined as:
2. What does Dillard say is the driving force after reproduction in the animal kingdom?
3. What does Dillard see as the difference between a parasite and a predator?
4. In Chapter 10, what does Dillard see as making life easier?
5. How does a young muskrat get fed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dillard's story about the tomcat in chapter one. Why did Dillard include this story in the book? What might be the meaning of this story?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about praying mantis. Include Dillard's observations, her knowledge from other sources, her reactions and feeling towards praying mantis and any beliefs she may have formed because of her thoughts on this insect.
Essay Topic 3
In the final chapter of the book, the reader can see that in attempting to understand the natural world, the author is attempting to understand its creator. How does Dillard blend her observations of the natural world with what becomes of her beliefs in a creator? Use some of her writing to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)