|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, Dillard spies a snake. What kind is it?
2. How large might a root system for winter rye grass plant grow?
3. What does the author think the existence of parasites makes the world?
4. Dillard believes that few humans have been as cruel as what, in the natural world?
5. When Richmond loses electricity Dillard says something happened at the governor's mansion. What?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dillard's story about the tomcat in chapter one. Why did Dillard include this story in the book? What might be the meaning of this story?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter three, "Winter," Dillard suggests that with or without human interference, nature continues to exist. What do you think she meant by this? Give two examples and explain why the examples illustrate this principle.
Essay Topic 3
How does Dillard feel about harming creatures? What are some of the incidents from her childhood that helped formed these ideas? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)