|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The balance enables her to think about the beauty without doing what?
2. In Chapter 13, Dillard spies a snake. What kind is it?
3. Where are the answer to #163 going?
4. How did early man view locusts?
5. For wild animals, Dillards sees enduring parasitic invasions as what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dillard's story about the tomcat in chapter one. Why did Dillard include this story in the book? What might be the meaning of this story?
Essay Topic 2
One day while hiking, Dillard comes upon a coot, a water bird, notorious for its shyness. Dillard spends a great deal of space writing about her encounter with the coot. Describe the encounter and what Dillard thinks she learned from it.
Essay Topic 3
The present is fleet. One barely glimpses it, and it is gone, Dillard writes. What is the present, according to the author? Why try to stay in it? How does the present compare to the past or the future? Have you ever tried to stay in the moment? Describe one situation when the author tried to stay in the now. Do you think it's possible to stay just in the now? Why or why not?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)