Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what have arrived in swarm from the Hudson Bay area?
2. The balance enables her to think about the beauty without doing what?
3. What percentage of insects are parasites?
4. In Chapter 13, Dillard quotes Van Gogh. What did she quote?
5. What could happen if the caribou migrate out of the Eskimo's range?
Essay Topic 1
Up to the second section of chapter eight, Dillard has primarily described details of creation. In the second part of the chapter she moves to trying to understand more about creation, and, as such, moves from logic to mysticism. Discuss the writing she has used to show this shift from observing creation to trying to understand it. What might it mean to say this moves the author from logic to mysticism?
Essay Topic 2
One day while hiking, Dillard comes upon a coot, a water bird, notorious for its shyness. Dillard spends a great deal of space writing about her encounter with the coot. Describe the encounter and what Dillard thinks she learned from it.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter three, "Winter," Dillard suggests that with or without human interference, nature continues to exist. What do you think she meant by this? Give two examples and explain why the examples illustrate this principle.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)