|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 14, Dillard quotes a fifth century Egyptian mystic as saying what?
(a) fall is the splash of color before the white of winter
(b) meditate outside and you will know the outside
(c) go and sit in your cell, and your cell will teach you everything
(d) winter gives rest, as spring energy
2. What does Dillard find out about muskrats and humans?
(a) they eat the same foods
(b) they're both nocturnal
(c) they both like water
(d) if a muskrat is aware of human's presence, it will not appear
3. When Dillard discovers so much violence and horror in the natural world, how does she feel?
(a) depressed that the world was created so
(b) relieved that insects are killed in such large numbers
(c) confused because it seems contradictory to logic
(d) disillusioned as to the goodness of creation and the creator
4. What has Dillard decided is the meaning of death?
(a) one merely joins the earth at death
(b) it must happen or the earth could not sustain everything
(c) a way to join the creator
(d) a journey to a far land
5. How does the author see the violence in the natural world?
(a) as a mistake God made
(b) as a symbolic sacrifice
(c) as inevitable
(d) as something that needs changed
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillard see as the difference between a parasite and a predator?
2. When a mosquito bites a snake, what happens?
3. Eskimos believe it is a great honor to be incarnated as what?
4. What does Dillard believe about the death of the self?
5. What is a towhee?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)