|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what have arrived in swarm from the Hudson Bay area?
(a) monarch butterflies
(b) lunar moths
(d) house wrens
2. What does the principle of indeterminacy invalidate?
(a) the notion of cause and effect
(b) that hummingbirds can sit still
(c) that the moon causes the tides
(d) that light travels in a circle
3. Why would Dillard say some trees are like body builders?
(a) some trees are capable of splitting and lifting boulders weighing more than a ton
(b) they keep adding to their limbs,
(c) they can hold up a lot of weight
(d) their body is so
4. What does the author think about the price of fish?
(a) they're a cheap source of protein
(b) fish are free for anyone to gather from the waters
(c) they cost more than beef
(d) the price is high due to overfishing
5. How would Dillard like to see death?
(a) as benign
(b) as a mean part of creation
(c) as another journey
(d) as something to embrace
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dillard becomes motionless in watching for a muskrat, what does she do?
2. The development of science leads to what, according to the author?
3. In this book the author is not only striving to understand the natural world, but to understand this acceptance:
4. The balance enables her to think about the beauty without doing what?
5. Dillard is sometimes allowed one brief glimpse of a creature. What does she call these glimpses?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)