|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author believe about the difference between abundant plant life and abundant insect life?
(a) the proliferation of plant life, does not disturb humans the way an overabundance of insects do
(b) abundant insect life is healthier for the earth
(c) insects will always outnumber plants
(d) plants would be more abundant without insects
2. In Chapter 13, Dillard quotes Van Gogh. What did she quote?
(a) it's important to see
(b) the important thing is to breathe
(c) life is not art
(d) life is not pretty
3. What is necessary in order for the the gooseneck barnacle to reproduce?
(a) it must find water of an exact salinity
(b) it must find a wrecked ship not more than one-half mile down
(c) it must find any piece of debris to cling to in the middle of the ocean
(d) it must find a certain type of seaweed to cling to
4. When Dillard saw migrating Canadian geese fly, speeding across the duck pond, what did she think?
(a) that she has never witnessed such energetic movement
(b) that she'd never seen so many large birds together
(c) that it was time to get wood for the winter
(d) that she should think about going south for the winter
5. What does the term the term "northing" mean?
(a) the name the Eskimoes use for themselves
(b) denotes traveling in a northerly direction
(c) types of birds that don't migrate
(d) someone who lives near the artic circle
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a towhee?
2. Dillard is sometimes allowed one brief glimpse of a creature. What does she call these glimpses?
3. What lures birds of all species out of their summer hiding places?
4. What is the other type of poisonous snake besides the answer in #139, that lives around the creek area?
5. The development of science leads to what, according to the author?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)