|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did a Russian botanist discover about locusts?
(a) locusts are merely grasshoppers under stress
(b) locusts will eat other insects
(c) locusts have too many babies
(d) locusts breed in the water
2. Silvery eels swim to the sea after eight years of maturing in obscure creeks and rivers. What happens to them at the sea?
(a) they lay eggs and then go into deep water for the rest of their lives
(b) they lay their eggs and then die
(c) they have offspring and bring them back in two years
(d) they mate with other eels then return to the fresh water
3. Dillard says if nature is not monstrous, then why does it appear that way to humans?
(a) humans see only the bad
(b) humans can't see the big picture
(c) it is human's emotional response to nature's illusory horrors
(d) nature is logical, though a logic humans can't comprehend
4. What does the author think the existence of parasites makes the world?
(b) nothing, parasites don't affect the world
(c) a horrible place
(d) more real
5. What is a towhee?
(a) a type of large rodent
(b) a large bird
(c) a brown and red snake
(d) a type of domesticated parrot
6. How does Dillard finally reconcile a kind, loving creator with the carnage she observes in the natural world?
(a) by realizing she's not smart enough to understand
(b) by putting it out of her mind
(c) by reinterpreting the meaning of death
(d) by realizing there is no creator
7. What are the "horns of the altar?"
(a) the four corners of an altar
(b) the edges
(c) the center
(d) the part of the altar that holds the banner
8. In Chapter 9 Dillard is uneasy and hears what seems to be gunshots. What did she actually hear?
(b) a garbage truck backfiring
(c) a motorcycle
(d) a cap gun
9. What does the author think about as she watches the flood waters?
(a) surf's up
(b) the waters are very powerful
(c) what the animals do in a flood
(d) the well won't run dry for a while
10. What does Dillard believe about the death of the self?
(a) it is painless
(b) it would take a lifetime
(c) it is a part of life
(d) it is a type of transformation
11. Fecundity could be defined as:
(a) wasteful of resources
(b) prolific in offspring
(c) always hungry
(d) a type of fat
12. When Dillard discovers so much violence and horror in the natural world, how does she feel?
(a) disillusioned as to the goodness of creation and the creator
(b) confused because it seems contradictory to logic
(c) relieved that insects are killed in such large numbers
(d) depressed that the world was created so
13. What percentage of insects are parasites?
(a) forty percent
(b) ten percent
(c) five percent
(d) thirty percent
14. Dillard believes that if she waits patiently with no anticipation of what is to come, this will happen.
(a) she will see any animal she wants to see
(b) when something does come, it will bowl her over
(c) she will be enlightened
(d) she will be at peace
15. How did early man view locusts?
(a) as a plague sent by the devil
(b) as the harbringer of a natural disaster
(c) locusts were thought to be a plague sent by God
(d) as a visitation from heaven
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what have arrived in swarm from the Hudson Bay area?
2. Who does Dillard says stalk caribou herds for days?
3. What is the other type of poisonous snake besides the answer in #139, that lives around the creek area?
4. What is the "Principle of Indeterminacy?"
5. When moving towards a muskrat, how does one keep from scaring it?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)