Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take a tree to recreate ninety-nine percent of its living parts?
(a) thirty days
(b) one year
(c) twenty-five years
(d) a lifetime
2. How does Dillard visualize the present?
(a) as the middle of everything
(b) as a wave that explodes over her head
(c) as a hawk soaring on the breeze
(d) as a hummingbird that stops for nectar
3. How does the author say one can obtain "unself-conscious state?"
(a) pure devotion to whatever one is doing at the moment
(b) through meditation
(c) through intense exercise
(d) through desperate illness
4. How do humans insulate themselves from the present, according to the author?
(a) by wearing clothes appropriate to the weather
(b) by blocking out the past
(c) by continuously reviewing images of the past and future in their minds
(d) by lying to themselves and others
5. What does Dillard find out when she takes her first course in French?
(a) it's more difficult than Spanish
(b) French sounds better than English
(c) she has no aptitude for languages
(d) she realizes that she will have to learn French word by word
6. Chlorophyll has a single atom of what substance in the center?
7. How do mice reach the grain at the top of a stalk?
(a) they climb a tree and jump onto the stalk
(b) they climb the stalk on the back of other mice
(c) mice chew wheat stems piece by piece
(d) they wait for the farmer to cut the field
8. What does Dillard's fascination and stories about praying mantises demonstrate?
(a) she never saw insects before moving to Tinker Creek
(b) she wants to change the way some things are
(c) she watches horror movies too
(d) both her fascination and revulsion of the world of nature
9. What does Dillard believe about nature and change?
(a) nature changes quickly
(b) nature does not change, or changes extremely slow
(c) nature is constantly changing
(d) change in nature is sporatic and unpredictable
10. What is the translation of trompes-l' esprit ?
(a) till tomorrow
(b) trick of the mind
(c) triumph and agony
(d) tribulation preceeds victory
11. What does Dillard believe is healing?
(a) white clouds in blue skies
(b) flowing water
(d) soothing music
12. Why do the male praying mantis come near the female?
(a) he has a chemical in his abdomen that encourages him
(b) the females have a long, whip-like appendage that grabs the male
(c) the female is bigger and stronger and makes him
(d) the male is born to be the mate of a certain femal
13. What is one of Dillard's main occupations in the winter?
(b) watching television
14. Dillard thought once that awesome artistry can be laced with savagery. To what did she refer?
(a) when a thunderstorm blew down a tree
(b) when she watched sharks tear into a school of fish
(c) when her tomcat bit the head off a mouse
(d) when ants attacked a lady bug
15. Why are starlings hated in the Tinker Creek area?
(a) they eat all the worms and leave the ground bare
(b) they are smelly, messy, and noisy
(c) they scare the children by flying around them
(d) they fly into houses and make nests
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the animal in question #1 often leave on Dillard's nightgown?
2. Why does the author think nature experiments with insects' shape, form and "niche?"
3. What is the analogy she draws between the snake skin and the seasons?
4. Dillard opens this first chapter remembering this animal.
5. What does Dillard say happens the moment you are aware of the present?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)