|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is figurative seeing?
(a) seeing with the inner eye and looking beyond outward appearances
(b) closing the eyes and seeing another world
(c) watching the invisible
(d) seeing in dreams
2. Generally, what will praying mantises eat?
(a) they will eat the leaves off of trees
(b) they will eat anything small enough for it to capture - even tiny garter snakes
(c) they eat flower petals
(d) they eat tree roots
3. What does Dillard say is the way to tell winter has arrived?
(a) when you see the first snowfall
(b) when you have to make your first fire
(c) you can taste winter's arrival on the air
(d) when the creek's water has frozen
4. Dillard says there is loveliness and grace throughout creation. What is also there?
(c) the bizarre and grotesque
5. Why are starlings hated in the Tinker Creek area?
(a) they fly into houses and make nests
(b) they eat all the worms and leave the ground bare
(c) they scare the children by flying around them
(d) they are smelly, messy, and noisy
6. What does Dillard find out when she takes her first course in French?
(a) she realizes that she will have to learn French word by word
(b) French sounds better than English
(c) it's more difficult than Spanish
(d) she has no aptitude for languages
7. What is the literal act of seeing?
(a) watching for movement in the clouds
(b) using binoculars to see a great distance
(c) opening the eyes and looking straight ahead
(d) learning how to spot the different wildlife
8. What sport does the author play come spring?
9. What does Dillard say about humans and change?
(a) humans believe stability if good
(b) humans abhor statis
(c) humans hate change
(d) humans believe change is necessary
10. What about the creek creates healing sounds?
(a) the lap of the water against the bank
(b) the sound of frogs jumping into the water
(c) the creek is sprinkled with large rocks, which enliven the water
(d) the sound of fish jumping at dusk
11. Dillard says the agnostic asks who created the universe. What does a believer ask?
(a) why was the universe created
(b) who is God
(c) what role does man play
(d) why am I in the universe
12. If you could watch the unfolding through time of every thing that ever existed on Earth, what does Dillard say you would see?
(b) destruction and fear
(c) an endless tempest of beauty
(d) upheaval and violence
13. If you remove the answer in question #86 from chlorophyll, you create a molecule of what?
(b) chlorine gas
(c) carbon dioxide
14. What did Dillard do at one time about insects as a child?
(a) catch fireflies in glass jars to watch them glow
(b) watched them in the grass with a magnifying glass
(c) shooed them out of the house before her mother could kill them
(d) killed bugs with carbon tetrachloride and then pinned them on labeled boards
15. What does Dillard suggest is a similarity between her and plankton?
(a) they are both unaware of what they're doing
(b) they both live alone
(c) they both live in or near Tinker Creek
(d) they both carry stuff on their back
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Xerxes stop the advance of his entire army?
2. If there were only one tree in the world, what would happen, according to the author?
3. How long can a horsehair worm grow?
4. When Dillard raps on the goldfish bowl, what does the fish do?
5. One branch of Jewish philosophy believes that part of the responsibility of humans is to do what?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)