|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do praying mantises mate?
(a) the male kills the female when done and takes over the eggs
(b) A female will mate and devour up to seven male mantises
(c) the female lays eggs and the male comes by and fertilizes them
(d) they mate like people
2. What did Dillard do at one time about insects as a child?
(a) killed bugs with carbon tetrachloride and then pinned them on labeled boards
(b) watched them in the grass with a magnifying glass
(c) catch fireflies in glass jars to watch them glow
(d) shooed them out of the house before her mother could kill them
3. What does Dillard say happens the moment you are aware of the present?
(a) it freezes
(b) you lose it
(c) it no longer matters
(d) it becomes the past
4. Why did Indians used grooved arrows?
(a) so they would fly farther
(b) the hunter could follow the trail of blood that flows down the groove
(c) it made them more accurate
(d) so they were lighter to carry around
5. Dillard says the agnostic asks who created the universe. What does a believer ask?
(a) why was the universe created
(b) what role does man play
(c) who is God
(d) why am I in the universe
6. When Dillard is looking at a stream, where does she look?
(a) in the center of the water
(b) on the north bank
(c) she always looks upstream
(d) at the water going over the rocks
7. After she examines the snake skin closely, what does she figure out?
(a) she realizes that the snake had turned parts of the skin inside out, making it appear as though the skin is in a knot
(b) it was not real
(c) it was alive
(d) it was not a snake but a long, skinny lizard
8. How does Dillard believe the seeking of God takes place?
(a) God is in nature
(b) God is everywhere but the best place to seek is in church
(c) the seeking of God is a continuous loop, which never ends
(d) Singing in the shower
9. What does Dillard say is the way to tell winter has arrived?
(a) you can taste winter's arrival on the air
(b) when you see the first snowfall
(c) when the creek's water has frozen
(d) when you have to make your first fire
10. Dillard thought once that awesome artistry can be laced with savagery. To what did she refer?
(a) when she watched sharks tear into a school of fish
(b) when a thunderstorm blew down a tree
(c) when ants attacked a lady bug
(d) when her tomcat bit the head off a mouse
11. When Dillard moves from describing details of creation to trying to understand more about creation what is she doing?
(a) getting a little strange
(b) trying to think too much
(c) moving from logic to mysticism
(d) moving from what to why
12. What does Dillard believe is healing?
(a) white clouds in blue skies
(b) soothing music
(c) flowing water
13. What does Dillard believe about nature and change?
(a) nature is constantly changing
(b) nature does not change, or changes extremely slow
(c) change in nature is sporatic and unpredictable
(d) nature changes quickly
14. How do humans insulate themselves from the present, according to the author?
(a) by wearing clothes appropriate to the weather
(b) by lying to themselves and others
(c) by blocking out the past
(d) by continuously reviewing images of the past and future in their minds
15. How do blind people who suddenly gain sight usually see objects at first?
(a) as black and white
(b) as patches of colored light
(c) as bigger than they really are
(d) as all gray
Short Answer Questions
1. If there were only one tree in the world, what would happen, according to the author?
2. Dillard sees so much in the natural world which seems paradoxical. Why?
3. What does the animal in question #1 do to to get Dillard's attention?
4. What does she realize is the best way to quiet her mind?
5. In Chapter 5 Dillard writes about finding a snake. What appeared peculiar about the snake?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)