|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Section 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes birds harder to watch than insects?
(a) they fly faster
(b) there are less of them
(c) birds seem much more aware of their surroundings
(d) they are not often on the ground
2. Why would Dillard say some trees are like body builders?
(a) some trees are capable of splitting and lifting boulders weighing more than a ton
(b) their body is so
(c) they keep adding to their limbs,
(d) they can hold up a lot of weight
3. Even though she is no scientist, what did Dillard decide she will do in her valley?
(a) she will explore her valley and report the unmapped frontiers
(b) raise sheep
(c) plant a flower garden
(d) erect a new cabin
4. In Chapter 5 Dillard writes about finding a snake. What appeared peculiar about the snake?
(a) it had a outer and inner skin
(b) it was pure white
(c) it had two heads
(d) it was tied in a knot
5. If there were only one tree in the world, what would happen, according to the author?
(a) all creatures would travel to touch it in order to feel secure
(b) the world would cease to exist
(c) there would not be enough oxygen to breath
(d) humans would all live around the tree
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillard say is the driving force after reproduction in the animal kingdom?
2. Who does Dillard think gravitates towards the field of botany?
3. What is it about weather that Dillard believes is a phenomena worth writing about?
4. In addition to form and texture, what does the author believe influences beauty?
5. Why does the author think nature experiments with insects' shape, form and "niche?"
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)