|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Section 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dillard is looking at a stream, where does she look?
(a) on the north bank
(b) in the center of the water
(c) at the water going over the rocks
(d) she always looks upstream
2. Why did Dillard name this chapter "Seeing?"
(a) because she believes to see she has to understand
(b) because she discusses the loss of sight
(c) she knows that to discover and understand she must be able to see
(d) because she has found out some blind people regain their sight
3. What is the literal act of seeing?
(a) opening the eyes and looking straight ahead
(b) learning how to spot the different wildlife
(c) watching for movement in the clouds
(d) using binoculars to see a great distance
4. What is the translation of trompes-l' esprit ?
(a) tribulation preceeds victory
(b) trick of the mind
(c) triumph and agony
(d) till tomorrow
5. One branch of Jewish philosophy believes that part of the responsibility of humans is to do what?
(a) stand in for God with the animals
(b) to help God by hallowing creation
(c) planting trees
(d) to experience the moment
Short Answer Questions
1. How do humans insulate themselves from the present, according to the author?
2. Thinking about God and nature, what does Dillard come to believe is possible?
3. What does the author believe about acts of physical courage?
4. What does she realize is the best way to quiet her mind?
5. What does Dillard believe is healing?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)