|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Section 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dillard believes that "weather overlaps" which causes what?
(a) snow on Easter
(b) there is only a few weeks of any season that is distinguishable from the former or following
(c) rain in the backyard and sun in the front yard
(d) sun shining when it's raining
2. Dillard wrote, "the present is fleet." What did she mean by this statement?
(a) the present is the future
(b) there is no present
(c) the present goes by so quick one can barely glimpse it
(d) the present is like a group of ships
3. Dillard thought once that awesome artistry can be laced with savagery. To what did she refer?
(a) when her tomcat bit the head off a mouse
(b) when ants attacked a lady bug
(c) when she watched sharks tear into a school of fish
(d) when a thunderstorm blew down a tree
4. In Chapter 2, Dillard talks of a game she played where she would hide what?
(a) dimes and quarters
(c) Easter eggs
(d) Raggedy Ann dolls
5. Generally, what will praying mantises eat?
(a) they eat flower petals
(b) they will eat the leaves off of trees
(c) they eat tree roots
(d) they will eat anything small enough for it to capture - even tiny garter snakes
Short Answer Questions
1. If there were only one tree in the world, what would happen, according to the author?
2. How does Dillard visualize the present?
3. What is the literal act of seeing?
4. How do humans insulate themselves from the present, according to the author?
5. What does Dillard's fascination and stories about praying mantises demonstrate?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)