|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about weather that Dillard believes is a phenomena worth writing about?
(a) how often the modern weather predictions are right
(b) how often the modern weather predictions are wrong
(c) talking about the weather is one of seven or eight phenomena worth discussing
(d) whether ancient people talked about the weather
2. Why are starlings hated in the Tinker Creek area?
(a) they scare the children by flying around them
(b) they eat all the worms and leave the ground bare
(c) they are smelly, messy, and noisy
(d) they fly into houses and make nests
3. What does she realize is the best way to quiet her mind?
(a) by offering a nonchalant nod to the presence of words in the head
(b) counting from 100 to zero backwards
(c) taking a sleeping pill
(d) sitting quietly and breathing deeply
4. What does the animal in question #1 do to to get Dillard's attention?
(a) jumps in through the open window and climbs on Dillard's chest
(b) bats her leg with his paw
(c) meows loudly
(d) knocks her glasses off onto the floor
5. How does Dillard think of Tinker Creek in the first chapter?
(a) as a place that time forgot
(b) as an anchor that keeps her steady in the current of life
(c) as a scary, mysterious place
(d) that she'd rather live somewhere else
Short Answer Questions
1. How do mice reach the grain at the top of a stalk?
2. Why does the author think nature experiments with insects' shape, form and "niche?"
3. Where does Dillard makes a pilgrimage to every month?
4. How do praying mantises mate?
5. What changes about the view around Dillard's home when winter comes?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)