|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Section 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dillard say can be as blinding as complete darkness?
(a) too much light
(b) a full moon at midnight
(c) some camp lanterns
(d) a mind that is closed
2. What does she realize is the best way to quiet her mind?
(a) by offering a nonchalant nod to the presence of words in the head
(b) taking a sleeping pill
(c) sitting quietly and breathing deeply
(d) counting from 100 to zero backwards
3. What does Dillard say hinders people from experiencing the now?
(a) there is no now
(b) humans don't like to be in the now
(c) humans are always looking into the future
(d) being too aware of self, rather than the moment
4. What is the translation of trompes-l' esprit ?
(a) tribulation preceeds victory
(b) till tomorrow
(c) trick of the mind
(d) triumph and agony
5. How do mice reach the grain at the top of a stalk?
(a) mice chew wheat stems piece by piece
(b) they climb a tree and jump onto the stalk
(c) they wait for the farmer to cut the field
(d) they climb the stalk on the back of other mice
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Dillard talks of a game she played where she would hide what?
2. Dillard wrote, "the present is fleet." What did she mean by this statement?
3. What does Dillard say happens the moment you are aware of the present?
4. What is Dillard illustrating in her story about the Polyphemus moth from her childhood?
5. Dillard says that a particular object remains unseen until what happens?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)