|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shura tells Alice that a good what is like an artist's studio?
2. What drug does Shura offer to let Alice try on her first visit to see him?
3. In Chapter 14, Shura describes the difference between an act and a what?
4. What was Shura given for a bone infection in his thumb in WWII?
5. Where does the protagonist go for a conference in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Alice and Sam leave her apartment in Chapter 17, where do they go?
2. What did Shura do upon earning his degree in Chapter 1?
3. What drug experience does Alice share with Sam in Chapter 17?
4. What leads up to Alice's near-death experience in Chapter 17?
5. What were Shura's education plans following high school? How did they turn out?
6. Where and when does Alice meet Shura?
7. What is the second occasion where Alice and Shura meet?
8. What does Shura reveal to Alice about Ursula in Chapter 20? What is her response?
9. With whom does Alice speak of Shura with in Chapter 23? What does she learn?
10. What synthesis does Shura attempt in Chapter 5? What delays this work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the protagonist of Book One of Pihkal, A Chemical Love Story. What are Shura's main characteristics? What obstacles and conflicts does he face in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the drug MDMA. When was the author introduced to the substance? Where did it originate? What is its legal status?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the terms "transcendence of thought," "stoned," and "turned-on." How do these and other words differ from one another? What is the importance of the glossary in Pihkal?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)