|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shura's work in Chapter 5 is interrupted by the death of whom?
2. What drug had caused many bad experiences when sold in high dosages as STP?
3. Where does Dolph live?
4. What was the occupation of both of Shura's parents?
5. What day does Alice meet with her friend to take peyote in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the bad traits Alice describes of herself and Shura in Chapter 28?
2. Where does Shura travel following his wife's death? What drug experience does he encounter there?
3. What synthesis does Shura attempt in Chapter 5? What delays this work?
4. Describe Alice and Shura's experience with DOM in Chapter 25.
5. What drug do Alice and Shura take in Chapter 26? What conversation does this lead to between them?
6. What exposition does Shura reveal following his wife's death?
7. What are Shura's conclusions of MDMA in Chapter 12?
8. With whom does Alice speak of Shura with in Chapter 23? What does she learn?
9. When Alice and Sam leave her apartment in Chapter 17, where do they go?
10. Describe Shura's notes following his experiment with Aleph-1 in Chapter 14.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that family has to each of the main characters in the novel. How do the characters' relationships with their families impact their relationships with one another?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term "nucleotides," and discuss how they function in the body. How do psychedelics affect this functioning? What is Shura's theory of nucleotides?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss psilocybin and mescaline. How do these organic drugs differ from the syntheses created by the author? Describe the conversation between Alice and Shura regarding nature versus synthesis.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)