|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shura's last name in the novel?
2. About how many people arrive at Alice's party in Chapter 19?
3. What is Shura's son's name?
4. What sexual activity do Shura and Alice experiment with in Chapter 25?
5. What is the name of the protagonist's first wife in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What drug does Shura focus on in Chapter 4? What are his observations of the drug?
2. What exposition does Shura reveal following his wife's death?
3. Describe Alice and Shura's experience with DOM in Chapter 25.
4. What leads up to Alice's near-death experience in Chapter 17?
5. Where and when does Alice meet Shura?
6. When Alice and Sam leave her apartment in Chapter 17, where do they go?
7. What are Shura's conclusions of MDMA in Chapter 12?
8. What drug do Alice and Shura take in Chapter 26? What conversation does this lead to between them?
9. What were Shura's education plans following high school? How did they turn out?
10. What do Alice and Shura reveal to one another while under drugs in Chapter 22? What drug?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Alice in Pihkal, A Chemical Love Story. How old is Alice when her character is first introduced? What are her character's principle objectives? What are her actions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the terms "transcendence of thought," "stoned," and "turned-on." How do these and other words differ from one another? What is the importance of the glossary in Pihkal?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the drugs Aleph-1 and 2C-E. How are they similar in their chemistry? How do they differ? What are the differences in the qualitative comments of each?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)