|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice refer to Shura's bad moods?
2. Who impregnates Alice in the late 1950s?
3. Shura claims his first wife withdrew into her what?
4. What is Alice's oldest son's name?
5. Who is George's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alice and Shura's experience with DOM in Chapter 25.
2. What did Shura do upon earning his degree in Chapter 1?
3. What does Shura reveal to Alice about Ursula in Chapter 20? What is her response?
4. From whose point of view is Chapter 16 told? What does this character detail?
5. What is the second occasion where Alice and Shura meet?
6. With whom does Alice speak of Shura with in Chapter 23? What does she learn?
7. Describe Shura's family and friendships in his childhood.
8. Who does Alice meet in Chapter 23? What does Shura announce?
9. Describe Shura's notes following his experiment with Aleph-1 in Chapter 14.
10. What is Shura's relationship to Dr. Andrew Walker Scott?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term "nucleotides," and discuss how they function in the body. How do psychedelics affect this functioning? What is Shura's theory of nucleotides?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role that family has to each of the main characters in the novel. How do the characters' relationships with their families impact their relationships with one another?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Ursula and Dolph in Pihkal, A Chemical Love Story. Where do they live? How do they know the protagonist? What role do they play in the plot?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)