|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annawake Fourkiller do for a living?
2. After Lou Anne leaves his house, what animal does Jax see snatch dove eggs from the nest?
3. How much money does Taylor find in an envelope on her windshield?
4. What is the name of the constellation that Jax tells Annawake about?
5. What race of children beat up Gabriel in school, claiming that he isn't enough like them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alice figure out that Turtle is Cash's granddaughter?
2. What relationship does Cash Stillwater have to Mr. Critterdon?
3. What do Turtle and Taylor learn at The Casa Suerte?
4. How does Alice feel during the stomp dance?
5. How does Annawake express the Cherokee view of family as it pertains to Turtle's case?
6. What reference does Turtle make to "The Wizard of Oz" after leaving the free clinic?
7. What story does Ledger tell to Annawake in an attempt to guide her decision about Turtle's future?
8. What sight does Taylor witness while she is on her date with Steven Kent?
9. What is the true story of Turtle's adoption, according to Jax?
10. What decisions do Alice and Taylor make about their lives after their confrontation with Annawake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Annawake proposes a solution that will hopefully keep all parties happy, and will keep Turtle's best interests at heart. Explain what Annawake's solution for the fight over Turtle's custody was, and then explain how that decision affected the lives of the main characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, there are various references to nature as a parallel to Turtle's story. Choose two examples of nature as presented in the novel and explain how those scenes parallel the story of the fight for Turtle's custody.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Kingsolver repeatedly gives voice to her opinion about television. Choose two examples of times that Kingsolver mentions television, and explain how television affected the lives of the characters in the novel. What message do you think Kingsolver is sending her audience through her portrayal of television in the novel?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)