|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the motel management give Alice and family a hard time when they are checking out?
2. Where is Turtle abandoned as a child?
3. Who tells Annawake the true story of Turtle's adoption?
4. As Cash is driving back home to his tribe, what type of song is he listening to on the radio?
5. Why does Annawake argue that Taylor should be returned to her native tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reference does Turtle make to "The Wizard of Oz" after leaving the free clinic?
2. What conflict continually arises between Mr. Green and his neighbor Boma Mellowbug?
3. What relationship does Cash Stillwater have to Mr. Critterdon?
4. After Lou Anne leaves his home, what does Jax witness through the window, and how does he react?
5. What happens to Gabriel Fourkiller when he is admitted into school after his adoption?
6. What does Barbie know about the doll that she was named after?
7. Why does Alice begin to feel romantically attracted to Cash Stillwater?
8. What does Cash tell Alice about boarding schools while they are on their date?
9. How does the family respond to the news that Alice will be visiting the Cherokee nation?
10. How does Annawake describe Alice to Letty, and what is Letty's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the symbolism of pigs is used in various forms. Choose two examples in which pigs are used as symbols in the novel and explain how those symbols reflected the larger themes presented in Turtle's story.
Essay Topic 2
Turtle often associates her fears with horses. Describe a moment when Turtle remembers horses as linked to her childhood at the Indian reservation, and then explain how the imagery of horses expanded, and was used in connection to Annawake and her search for Taylor and Turtle.
Essay Topic 3
When Lucky Buster fell into the hole, the "luck" of the moment seemed ambiguous. Explain why Turtle's sighting of Lucky Buster's fall could be seen as both lucky and unlucky. Then, explain what your final verdict of the moment was - lucky, or unlucky, citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 1,753 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)