|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the waitress recognize Turtle?
2. After Lou Anne leaves his house, what animal does Jax see snatch dove eggs from the nest?
3. What does Taylor call the coffee shop where she and Turtle eat lunch?
4. Who does Taylor call to visit her when she realizes that she needs more money?
5. When does Turtle say that a turtle lets go after it has bitten you?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the photo cube that Taylor keeps in her dingy apartment in Seattle?
2. What conversation does Jax have with Gundi after he opens the certified letter from Annawake?
3. What decisions do Alice and Taylor make about their lives after their confrontation with Annawake?
4. What happens to Gabriel Fourkiller when he is admitted into school after his adoption?
5. Why does the waitress at the coffee shop recognize Turtle?
6. What does Barbie know about the doll that she was named after?
7. How does Alice respond to Cash's sudden marriage proposal?
8. After Lou Anne leaves his home, what does Jax witness through the window, and how does he react?
9. How does Annawake express the Cherokee view of family as it pertains to Turtle's case?
10. In what ways does Gundi show her sympathies for Jax and Taylor's strife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gabriel Fourkiller acts as a silent character throughout the novel. He is often spoken about, but is never directly involved in the story line. Describe who Gabriel Fourkiller is, and then explain how his character affected the fight over Turtle's custody.
Essay Topic 2
The Trail of Tears proved to be an important historical moment in the novel. Explain what happened during the Trail of Tears, and how this moment in history directly affected Turtle's story.
Essay Topic 3
The varying forms of relationship status in romantic relationships becomes a large theme in the novel. Explain how definition in Taylor's relationship with Jax, and Alice's relationship with Cash changed during the course of Turtle's custody battle, and why those changes were important to the fight they all were partaking in.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)