|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jax argue with Gundi is the force most rewarded in white society?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of Taylor's arguments against Turtle's native tribe?
3. Where are Turtle's adoption papers drawn up?
4. How will the Cherokee tribe celebrate Cash Stillwater's return?
5. With what type of animal does Cash Stillwater hope to open a farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Alice and family are leaving the Delta Queen Casino Hotel for some breakfast?
2. What interesting thing does Taylor say during the confrontation that shocks Annawake?
3. What reference does Turtle make to "The Wizard of Oz" after leaving the free clinic?
4. How does the family respond to the news that Alice will be visiting the Cherokee nation?
5. What story does Ledger tell to Annawake in an attempt to guide her decision about Turtle's future?
6. What changes about Turtle's medical status after her reoccurring stomachaches?
7. How does Turtle respond to life on the run?
8. In what way do Alice and Annawake work together in the retelling of the story of the Pigs in Heaven?
9. After Lou Anne leaves his home, what does Jax witness through the window, and how does he react?
10. Why does the waitress at the coffee shop recognize Turtle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Annawake proposes a solution that will hopefully keep all parties happy, and will keep Turtle's best interests at heart. Explain what Annawake's solution for the fight over Turtle's custody was, and then explain how that decision affected the lives of the main characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Turtle had a very difficult childhood throughout the novel. Compare / contrast her life on the reservation with her life with Taylor. Finally, explain how Turtle got her name and the symbolism that name has to her childhood.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the symbolism of pigs is used in various forms. Choose two examples in which pigs are used as symbols in the novel and explain how those symbols reflected the larger themes presented in Turtle's story.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)