|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Barbie lose her job at the coffee shop?
2. Why does the waitress recognize Turtle?
3. Why does the motel management give Alice and family a hard time when they are checking out?
4. What is Barbie's state of dress when she runs into Alice and Taylor at the breakfast house?
5. How much money does Taylor find in an envelope on her windshield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship does Cash Stillwater have to Mr. Critterdon?
2. How does the family respond to the news that Alice will be visiting the Cherokee nation?
3. How do the producers of the Oprah show treat Taylor and Turtle before the show is recorded?
4. How does Taylor's date with Kevin go?
5. What does Annawake claim to be the reason for Turtle's abuse within the Indian community?
6. How does Alice feel in the moments before Cash comes to pick her up for their date?
7. What story does Ledger tell to Annawake in an attempt to guide her decision about Turtle's future?
8. How does Franklin Turnbo feel about Annawake's desire to return Turtle to the Native American community?
9. How does Annawake express the Cherokee view of family as it pertains to Turtle's case?
10. What recommendation does Annawake make to the court in regards to Turtle's custody?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, both Taylor and Annawake clash over what is best for Turtle's future. Explain the arguments that both women had for Turtle's custody, and then explain how it was actually two cultures, rather than two women, fighting for the best of the child.
Essay Topic 2
The luck of the Native American people comes to the forefront of the novel, as the tribe believes in luck as a driving force to their survival. Explain the ways that the Native American tribe portrayed in this novel can be seen as both a lucky and an unlucky tribe of people.
Essay Topic 3
When Lucky Buster fell into the hole, the "luck" of the moment seemed ambiguous. Explain why Turtle's sighting of Lucky Buster's fall could be seen as both lucky and unlucky. Then, explain what your final verdict of the moment was - lucky, or unlucky, citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)