Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Gundi's house does she offer for Jax to relax?
2. When does Annawake claim that Indian children begin to flounder?
3. What does Taylor call the coffee shop where she and Turtle eat lunch?
4. How does Jax feel about Taylor after she goes on the run with Turtle?
5. What does Jax argue with Gundi is the force most rewarded in white society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does Annawake have that Turtle's adoption is not legal?
2. In what way do Alice and Annawake work together in the retelling of the story of the Pigs in Heaven?
3. How does Alice figure out that Turtle is Cash's granddaughter?
4. What funny story does Cash tell Alice while she is lying naked on his bed?
5. At the opening of the novel, what is the state of Alice and Harland's marriage?
6. What happens to Cash Stillwater's family before he decides to move to Jackson Hole?
7. How does Alice feel in the moments before Cash comes to pick her up for their date?
8. What does Cash tell Alice about boarding schools while they are on their date?
9. What startling news does Alice hear while she is attending the stomp dance with Cash?
10. What conversation does Jax have with Gundi after he opens the certified letter from Annawake?
Essay Topic 1
Turtle often associates her fears with horses. Describe a moment when Turtle remembers horses as linked to her childhood at the Indian reservation, and then explain how the imagery of horses expanded, and was used in connection to Annawake and her search for Taylor and Turtle.
Essay Topic 2
When the reader is first introduced to Annawake's character, it is through the filtered voice of her secretary Jinny. Describe the way that Jinny views Annawake, and compare / contrast that to Annawake's own view of herself. Finally, discuss whether Jinny's view of Annawake at the beginning of the novel was an accurate assessment, and why.
Essay Topic 3
The Trail of Tears proved to be an important historical moment in the novel. Explain what happened during the Trail of Tears, and how this moment in history directly affected Turtle's story.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)