|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Turtle and Taylor vacationing when Turtle sees a man fall into a ditch?
2. How does Annawake know what happens to her brother Gabriel after he is adopted to a white family?
3. After leaving Vegas, what does Taylor worry about in herself?
4. Which talk show phones Turtle seeking an interview?
5. Where does Barbie store her purse while she sleeps?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sugar explain the Trail of Tears to Alice?
2. Why does Annawake claim that Alice's new found Indian heritage may not help her case to keep Turtle?
3. What evidence does Annawake have that Turtle's adoption is not legal?
4. How does Turtle respond to life on the run?
5. How does Alice figure out that Turtle is Cash's granddaughter?
6. How does Annawake express the Cherokee view of family as it pertains to Turtle's case?
7. What conflict continually arises between Mr. Green and his neighbor Boma Mellowbug?
8. Why does Turtle request to return to the Hoover Dam, and what does that request signal to Taylor?
9. How does Alice feel in the moments before Cash comes to pick her up for their date?
10. How does Annawake describe Alice to Letty, and what is Letty's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, there are three single mothers whose characters are explored. Briefly describe the three single mothers in the text and compare / contrast their mothering skills. What message do you think Kingsolver is sending to the reader about the love of a single mother?
Essay Topic 2
Turtle had a very difficult childhood throughout the novel. Compare / contrast her life on the reservation with her life with Taylor. Finally, explain how Turtle got her name and the symbolism that name has to her childhood.
Essay Topic 3
Turtle often associates her fears with horses. Describe a moment when Turtle remembers horses as linked to her childhood at the Indian reservation, and then explain how the imagery of horses expanded, and was used in connection to Annawake and her search for Taylor and Turtle.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)