|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Annawake Fourkiller when her twin brother is adopted to a white family?
2. What Indian tribe does Taylor claim Turtle is adopted from?
3. How much money does Taylor find in an envelope on her windshield?
4. What race of children beat up Gabriel in school, claiming that he isn't enough like them?
5. Why does Barbie lose her job at the coffee shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Taylor call her mother, Alice, to visit?
2. How does Annawake describe Alice to Letty, and what is Letty's response?
3. What funny story does Cash tell Alice while she is lying naked on his bed?
4. How does Annawake express the Cherokee view of family as it pertains to Turtle's case?
5. What do Turtle and Taylor learn at The Casa Suerte?
6. How does the family respond to the news that Alice will be visiting the Cherokee nation?
7. How does Taylor's date with Kevin go?
8. What does Annawake claim to be the reason for Turtle's abuse within the Indian community?
9. At the opening of the novel, what is the state of Alice and Harland's marriage?
10. What evidence does Annawake have that Turtle's adoption is not legal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family structure proves to be a large theme in the novel, particularly when Turtle is asked by the courts to describe her own family. Compare / contrast the family structure present in the Cherokee tribe with the family structure that Turtle was raised in. Then, explain how Turtle's answer regarding her family prompted change among those who listened to her speak.
Essay Topic 2
The Trail of Tears proved to be an important historical moment in the novel. Explain what happened during the Trail of Tears, and how this moment in history directly affected Turtle's story.
Essay Topic 3
When Lucky Buster fell into the hole, the "luck" of the moment seemed ambiguous. Explain why Turtle's sighting of Lucky Buster's fall could be seen as both lucky and unlucky. Then, explain what your final verdict of the moment was - lucky, or unlucky, citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)