|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous doll does the waitress at the coffee shop collect?
2. What is the name of the town where Alice's cousin, Sugar, lives?
3. What is the name of Annawake Fourkiller's brother that is adopted?
4. Where is Turtle abandoned as a child?
5. With what type of animal does Cash Stillwater hope to open a farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family respond to the news that Alice will be visiting the Cherokee nation?
2. What do Turtle and Taylor learn at The Casa Suerte?
3. What recommendation does Annawake make to the court in regards to Turtle's custody?
4. What does Taylor do for work now that Barbie has gone missing?
5. What sight does Taylor witness while she is on her date with Steven Kent?
6. What is the significance of the photo cube that Taylor keeps in her dingy apartment in Seattle?
7. What funny story does Cash tell Alice while she is lying naked on his bed?
8. While vacationing at the Hoover Dam, what does Turtle see that prompts her mother to notify authorities?
9. Why is Taylor beginning to be upset with Barbie as they are driving away from Vegas?
10. In what way do Alice and Annawake work together in the retelling of the story of the Pigs in Heaven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Kingsolver repeatedly gives voice to her opinion about television. Choose two examples of times that Kingsolver mentions television, and explain how television affected the lives of the characters in the novel. What message do you think Kingsolver is sending her audience through her portrayal of television in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The luck of the Native American people comes to the forefront of the novel, as the tribe believes in luck as a driving force to their survival. Explain the ways that the Native American tribe portrayed in this novel can be seen as both a lucky and an unlucky tribe of people.
Essay Topic 3
Turtle had a very difficult childhood throughout the novel. Compare / contrast her life on the reservation with her life with Taylor. Finally, explain how Turtle got her name and the symbolism that name has to her childhood.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)