|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Barbie store her purse while she sleeps?
2. While they are on the run, where is the first place that Taylor and Turtle stop to hide?
3. What beverage do Jax and Annawake drink together while looking at the stars?
4. How does Taylor respond to Turtle's emotional state at the time of the run?
5. What is the name of the motel where Lucky Buster lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annawake explain as the story of the Six Pigs in Heaven?
2. At the opening of the novel, what is the state of Alice and Harland's marriage?
3. What conflict continually arises between Mr. Green and his neighbor Boma Mellowbug?
4. What sight does Taylor witness while she is on her date with Steven Kent?
5. What does Taylor do for work now that Barbie has gone missing?
6. Why does Alice begin to feel romantically attracted to Cash Stillwater?
7. How does Taylor meet Steven Kent?
8. What happens to Cash Stillwater's family before he decides to move to Jackson Hole?
9. Why does Taylor call her mother, Alice, to visit?
10. How does Alice figure out that Turtle is Cash's granddaughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the women in the novel who are on the run do so without the support of men in their lives. Choose two women who are on the run, and explain why they choose to live their lives without men. Do you think the author includes this intentionally in the book as a motif of feminine strength?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in the novel choose their own names, or are gifted a name after a significant moment in their life. Choose two characters with interesting names, explain the story behind their name, and then explain how their name reflects their character traits.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Kingsolver repeatedly gives voice to her opinion about television. Choose two examples of times that Kingsolver mentions television, and explain how television affected the lives of the characters in the novel. What message do you think Kingsolver is sending her audience through her portrayal of television in the novel?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)