|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many daughters does Cash Stillwater have with his wife in Heaven?
2. Where does Barbie store her purse while she sleeps?
3. Where does Alice hear about Turtle's rescue of the man?
4. Where are Turtle's adoption papers drawn up?
5. What beverage do Jax and Annawake drink together while looking at the stars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barbie know about the doll that she was named after?
2. Why does Annawake travel to Letty's home after the hog fry?
3. How does Alice respond to Cash's sudden marriage proposal?
4. What happens to Gabriel Fourkiller after he leaves school?
5. In what way do Alice and Annawake work together in the retelling of the story of the Pigs in Heaven?
6. What does Annawake explain as the story of the Six Pigs in Heaven?
7. How does Alice feel in the moments before Cash comes to pick her up for their date?
8. How does Alice respond to Jax's worry that Taylor does not truly love him?
9. What does Annawake claim to be the reason for Turtle's abuse within the Indian community?
10. What reference does Turtle make to "The Wizard of Oz" after leaving the free clinic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, there are three single mothers whose characters are explored. Briefly describe the three single mothers in the text and compare / contrast their mothering skills. What message do you think Kingsolver is sending to the reader about the love of a single mother?
Essay Topic 2
The Trail of Tears proved to be an important historical moment in the novel. Explain what happened during the Trail of Tears, and how this moment in history directly affected Turtle's story.
Essay Topic 3
Family structure proves to be a large theme in the novel, particularly when Turtle is asked by the courts to describe her own family. Compare / contrast the family structure present in the Cherokee tribe with the family structure that Turtle was raised in. Then, explain how Turtle's answer regarding her family prompted change among those who listened to her speak.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)