|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes Turtle's emotional state at the time of the run?
2. How does Alice respond to hearing Annawake's letter read to her over the phone?
3. Who is Foster Greer?
4. What beverage does Gundi offer to Jax during their discussion?
5. Who does Alice call to double-check the accuracy of information that she has heard about Turtle's rescue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sugar explain the Trail of Tears to Alice?
2. What relationship does Cash Stillwater have to Mr. Critterdon?
3. After Lou Anne leaves his home, what does Jax witness through the window, and how does he react?
4. Why is Taylor beginning to be upset with Barbie as they are driving away from Vegas?
5. How does Annawake describe Alice to Letty, and what is Letty's response?
6. What is the response to hearing Jax read Annawake's letter to them while they are doing laundry at the laundromat?
7. At the opening of the novel, what is the state of Alice and Harland's marriage?
8. What does Taylor do for work now that Barbie has gone missing?
9. What recommendation does Annawake make to the court in regards to Turtle's custody?
10. What happens to Gabriel Fourkiller after he leaves school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Turtle had a very difficult childhood throughout the novel. Compare / contrast her life on the reservation with her life with Taylor. Finally, explain how Turtle got her name and the symbolism that name has to her childhood.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Annawake argues that what is important is the good of the tribe versus the good of the individual. Explain what Annawake meant by this statement, and explain how this mindset factored into the way that Annawake viewed the fight over Turtle's custody.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, both Taylor and Annawake clash over what is best for Turtle's future. Explain the arguments that both women had for Turtle's custody, and then explain how it was actually two cultures, rather than two women, fighting for the best of the child.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)