|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the clan that Sugar and Alice belong to?
(a) The Mouse Clan.
(b) The Bird Clan.
(c) The Deer Clan.
(d) The Fish Clan.
2. What is "poke" similar to?
3. Which character prepares kunutche for Alice?
4. What is Letty's reaction to the news that Alice is an admirer of Cash?
(a) She is outraged.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She is saddened.
(d) She is doubtful.
5. What is the name of the man in the wheelchair that asks Taylor out on a date?
(a) Jerry Thompson.
(b) Richard Maydorf.
(c) Michael Butler.
(d) Steven Kent.
6. What does Cash produce which convinces Taylor, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Turtle is his granddaughter?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A drawing.
(c) A birth certificate.
(d) A letter.
7. How many Hornbuckle families are listed in the telephone directory when Alice begins searching it?
8. What happens to the Jewish father that fought for the return of his adopted son after the Holocaust?
(a) His son stayed with the adoptive family.
(b) The father is still fighting to this day.
(c) The son refused to be returned to him.
(d) His son was returned to him.
9. How long does it take for Annawake to make her final recommendation to the courts regarding Turtle's custody?
(a) Half an hour.
(b) Two days.
(c) One week.
(d) Twelve hours.
10. In his story, what does Turtle refer to as a "hen's apple"?
(a) An egg.
(b) A feather.
(c) A bowl of seed.
(d) A baby chick.
11. From what city does Alice attempt to locate her cousin Sugar?
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) Laguna Beach.
12. What does Annawake claim is the meaning behind the seventh star in the constellation?
(a) It is the sin of the children.
(b) It is the mother of the children.
(c) It is a forgotten child.
(d) It is the kidnapper of the children.
13. What classic movie does Turtle reference after leaving the free clinic?
(a) Mary Poppins.
(b) Beauty and the Beast.
(c) The Wizard of Oz.
(d) The Sound of Music.
14. At what grade does Cash Stillwater stop attending school?
(a) Seventh grade.
(b) First grade.
(c) Third grade.
(d) Fifth grade.
15. What does Annawake claim Boma Mellowbug has stolen from Mr. Green?
(a) Apples from his tree.
(b) Library books.
(d) Ostrich feathers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the town of Heaven named after?
2. Why is Annawake issuing a subpoena for Turtle's return?
3. When the novel turns to the perspective of Letty and Sugar, what are they doing in preparation for Cash's return to the tribe?
4. What are the Indian people tricked into giving away by clever crooks?
5. Why do the whites kick the Indians off their land during the Trail of Tears?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)