|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Ledger's story, what animal is sent down by the spirits to cut a baby in half?
(a) A tiger.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A bear.
(d) A snake.
2. What is "poke" similar to?
3. Why is Annawake issuing a subpoena for Turtle's return?
(a) Because Annawake needs to conduct an interview with the child.
(b) Because Annawake needs to review Turtle's medical records.
(c) Because Alice has requested Turtle's return to the tribe.
(d) Because her biological family is searching for her.
4. What happens when Turtle is no longer allowed to hang out at Taylor's work with her?
(a) Taylor is forced to hire an expensive babysitter.
(b) Turtle must stay unattended in the apartment.
(c) Turtle must wait in the car for hours at a time.
(d) Turtle walks the streets aimlessly while her mother works.
5. Which of the following characters does NOT die in Cash's stories?
(a) His mother.
(b) His wife.
(c) His son.
(d) His daughter.
6. Why is Turtle being teased at school?
(a) Because of her skin color.
(b) Because of her mother's occupation.
(c) Because of her clothing.
(d) Because of her speech troubles.
7. When Taylor writes her rent check, when does she date the check?
(a) For the date that she wrote it.
(b) For the day after payday.
(c) For a week after payday.
(d) She leaves the date empty, voiding the check.
8. How many Hornbuckle families are listed in the telephone directory when Alice begins searching it?
9. How long does it take for Annawake to make her final recommendation to the courts regarding Turtle's custody?
(a) Two days.
(b) Twelve hours.
(c) Half an hour.
(d) One week.
10. Who does Alice remember shaking, screaming, and speaking in tongues?
(a) A church deacon.
(b) A Baptist preacher.
(c) A gospel singer.
(d) A saxophone player.
11. What happens to the Jewish father that fought for the return of his adopted son after the Holocaust?
(a) The son refused to be returned to him.
(b) His son was returned to him.
(c) The father is still fighting to this day.
(d) His son stayed with the adoptive family.
12. Where does the man in the wheelchair take Taylor and Turtle on their date?
(a) To the aviary.
(b) To a steak house.
(c) To the cinema.
(d) To the fish ladder.
13. When Cash is recounting all of the family members of his that have died, what time span is given for their deaths?
(a) Four years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
14. Which character prepares kunutche for Alice?
15. Why do the whites kick the Indians off their land during the Trail of Tears?
(a) Because the whites knew how to better farm the Indians' land.
(b) Because the Indian land was better than the whites' land.
(c) Because the whites were terrified of the Indians' skin color.
(d) Because the Indians were taking all of the whites' jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Ledger Fourkiller play in the Cherokee tribe?
2. At what grade does Cash Stillwater stop attending school?
3. During the stomp dance, what does the tribe pass around while the chief speaks blessings over them?
4. When asked, who does Turtle say is her family?
5. What is the main ingredient in kunutche?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)