|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lorraine and Helen do at the party?
2. With Mr. Pignati in the hospital almost a week, how do John and Lorraine start to behave?
3. Which person does John specifically NOT invite to the party?
4. What does John do when Norton asks about Mr. Pignati?
5. When John and Lorraine are alone in Mr. Pignati's place, what does John ask for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John wants to be an actor, and Lorraine wants to be a writer. Explain how their personalities and views on life reinforce their career choices.
Essay Topic 2
Several minor characters serve important roles in the book. Describe the relevance of the following characters:
1. Norton, friend of John and Lorraine.
2. Conchetta, Mr. Pignati's deceased wife.
3. Kenneth, John's brother.
Essay Topic 3
Describe John's relationship with his parents and Lorraine's relationship with her mother.
1. How do these characters' parents complicate their lives?
2. Why do you feel John and Lorraine are so misunderstood by their parents? How do these misunderstandings shape how they behave and how they view themselves?
3. How does Mr. Pignati and his home represent a sanctuary or refuge for Lorraine and John? Support your answers with specific examples from the book.
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)