|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. En route to Beekman's Department Store with John and Mr. Pignati, Lorraine sees what?
2. While Mr. Pignati is recovering at the hospital, what do John and Lorraine do?
3. When Lorraine inquires about Mr. Pignati after the party is over, what is she told?
4. What does John tell Lorraine about the party he's planning at Mr. Pignati's house?
5. Who shows up to John's and Lorraine's party in a taxi cab?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the author carries out the following themes in his book, using specific examples:
1. Making choices and living with the consequences.
2. Taking responsibility for one's actions.
3. Coming to terms with events and conditions that are beyond one's control.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the author uses Lorraine's narration to foreshadow what happens to Mr. Pignati in the end. Cite specific examples from the book, including omens Lorraine refers to.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses a unique literary tool to tell a story in The Pigman. He has his two main characters retell the series of events in writing, in their own words through alternating chapters. Explain what makes this literary technique effective. How does it add interest level to the narration? How does the reader get a broader perspective through the use of this technique?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)