|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Pignati's situation reminds Lorraine of _____.
2. Are John and Lorraine allowed to have parties in their own homes?
3. What does Mr. Pignati buy at the department store for both Lorraine and John?
4. What is Norton well known for?
5. Norton gains notoriety when he gets caught stealing what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, in detail, what makes Mr. Pignati a tragic figure in this story. How does his suffering help other characters grow?
Essay Topic 2
Through this story, the author is conveying a larger message about life situations. Supporting your analysis with examples from the book, explain what the author is revealing about:
1. Growing up.
2. Growing old.
3. Trusting others.
4. Cherishing friendships.
Essay Topic 3
1. Compare and contrast the personalities, behavior, attitudes, and outlooks of John and Lorraine. In what ways are these two characters different? How are they similar?
2. What draws them to each other?
3. How do these two complementary characters balance each other? Keep each other grounded? Expand one another's horizons?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)