|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The complicated game that John and Lorraine play with Mr. Pignati turns out to be a psychological one, with their answers equating to what?
2. After being brought home from the party, and eventually joining her mother in the kitchen, what does Lorraine talk about?
3. When they are alone in Mr. Pignati's house, John looks around to see:
4. What is Norton well known for?
5. With Mr. Pignati at the hospital and John and Lorraine having dinner at Mr. Pignati's house, the pair drinks a toast to _____.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, in detail, what makes Mr. Pignati a tragic figure in this story. How does his suffering help other characters grow?
Essay Topic 2
Even though John appears shallow at the start of the book, by the end we witness much greater depth than first meets the eye. Discuss John's transformation and evolution as seen from the reader's viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Several minor characters serve important roles in the book. Describe the relevance of the following characters:
1. Norton, friend of John and Lorraine.
2. Conchetta, Mr. Pignati's deceased wife.
3. Kenneth, John's brother.
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)