|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up to John's and Lorraine's party?
2. Which person does John specifically NOT invite to the party?
3. When Lorraine and John visit Mr. Pignati at the hospital, what does he ask of them?
4. What happens when John climbs up the stairs in roller skates and Mr. Pignati attempts to follow?
5. What do John and Lorraine do for music at the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through this story, the author is conveying a larger message about life situations. Supporting your analysis with examples from the book, explain what the author is revealing about:
1. Growing up.
2. Growing old.
3. Trusting others.
4. Cherishing friendships.
Essay Topic 2
Through their experiences with Mr. Pignati, the teen characters experience a transformation. What about the primary adults in the story -- do they change or evolve by the end of the book? Answer this question in essay form for the following characters:
1. Lorraine's mother.
2. John's father.
3. John's mother.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the author carries out the following themes in his book, using specific examples:
1. Making choices and living with the consequences.
2. Taking responsibility for one's actions.
3. Coming to terms with events and conditions that are beyond one's control.
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)