|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With Mr. Pignati at the hospital and John and Lorraine having dinner at Mr. Pignati's house, the pair drinks a toast to _____.
2. When Mr. Pignati is at the hospital, what does Lorraine confess to John?
3. What does Lorraine's mother do when the teen is brought home after the party?
4. Norton gains notoriety when he gets caught stealing what?
5. When Lorraine inquires about Mr. Pignati after the party is over, what is she told?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe John's relationship with his parents and Lorraine's relationship with her mother.
1. How do these characters' parents complicate their lives?
2. Why do you feel John and Lorraine are so misunderstood by their parents? How do these misunderstandings shape how they behave and how they view themselves?
3. How does Mr. Pignati and his home represent a sanctuary or refuge for Lorraine and John? Support your answers with specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
1. At the start of the story, the main characters state that they are setting out to write an epic memorial. What does this mean?
2. By the end of the story, do you feel that Lorraine and John accomplish their mission? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses a unique literary tool to tell a story in The Pigman. He has his two main characters retell the series of events in writing, in their own words through alternating chapters. Explain what makes this literary technique effective. How does it add interest level to the narration? How does the reader get a broader perspective through the use of this technique?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)