|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John not invite a particular person to the party?
2. Which person does John specifically NOT invite to the party?
3. Are John and Lorraine allowed to have parties in their own homes?
4. John says that Norton's mother allows him to play with what when he is little?
5. In the silence that follows Mr. Pignati telling the teens that his wife is dead, what does Lorraine offer John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Compare and contrast the personalities, behavior, attitudes, and outlooks of John and Lorraine. In what ways are these two characters different? How are they similar?
2. What draws them to each other?
3. How do these two complementary characters balance each other? Keep each other grounded? Expand one another's horizons?
Essay Topic 2
Through this story, the author is conveying a larger message about life situations. Supporting your analysis with examples from the book, explain what the author is revealing about:
1. Growing up.
2. Growing old.
3. Trusting others.
4. Cherishing friendships.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the author carries out the following themes in his book, using specific examples:
1. Making choices and living with the consequences.
2. Taking responsibility for one's actions.
3. Coming to terms with events and conditions that are beyond one's control.
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)