|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Pignati offers to buy John and Lorraine something at the department store, what does John pick?
2. What is Mrs. Pignati's first name?
3. Norton gains notoriety when he gets caught stealing what?
4. What clues indicate that John has a crush on Lorraine?
5. Mr. Pignati's situation reminds Lorraine of _____.
Essay Topic 1
Describe John's relationship with his parents and Lorraine's relationship with her mother.
1. How do these characters' parents complicate their lives?
2. Why do you feel John and Lorraine are so misunderstood by their parents? How do these misunderstandings shape how they behave and how they view themselves?
3. How does Mr. Pignati and his home represent a sanctuary or refuge for Lorraine and John? Support your answers with specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Is Mr. Pignati the hero in this story? Why or why not? Do you attribute heroism to any other character(s) in this book?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses a unique literary tool to tell a story in The Pigman. He has his two main characters retell the series of events in writing, in their own words through alternating chapters. Explain what makes this literary technique effective. How does it add interest level to the narration? How does the reader get a broader perspective through the use of this technique?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)