|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do John, Lorraine, and Mr. Pignati ride to the monkey house?
2. Why is Norton upset when he arrives at the party?
3. Who gets John to start drinking beer?
4. Mr. Pignati tells John and Lorraine that his wife enjoys shopping for what at Beekman's department store?
5. What does Lorraine conclude is the strongest thing in the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perhaps more than any other character, Lorraine experiences a great measure of internal conflict. Explain how the following internal conflicts arise for Lorraine. How she deals with each one? In each instance, does she find a resolution to the conflict?
1. Doing what's right versus following John.
2. Having fun versus treating others with respect.
3. Being angry with her mother versus sympathizing with her mother's hard life.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast John's relationship with his father and his friendship with Mr. Pignati.
1. What internal or external conflicts does each relationship create?
2. How does John deal with these conflicts?
3. What lessons does each relationship teach John?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the author carries out the following themes in his book, using specific examples:
1. Making choices and living with the consequences.
2. Taking responsibility for one's actions.
3. Coming to terms with events and conditions that are beyond one's control.
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)