|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Pignati says that Bobo is ______.
2. Lorraine figures that Miss Stewart does what?
3. Mr. Pignati serves John and Lorraine scungilli, which John describes as _____.
4. How does John describe Mr. Pignati after their first meeting?
5. Friends John and Lorraine attend what high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. During their first phone conversation, why does Lorraine listen to Mr. Pignati's jokes?
2. What do Lorraine and a friend, Helen, do at the party at Mr. Pignati's house?
3. From the first chapter, what can you deduce about John's character and personality?
4. What does Mr. Pignati encounter when a taxi brings him home as the teens' party is going full swing?
5. Describe how and when Lorraine and John first meet.
6. Does John have a crush on Lorraine?
7. Explain what Lorraine says about the book reports she and John write.
8. Why is having a party at Mr. Pignati's house so important to John?
9. Describe Bobo, Mr. Pignati's friend.
10. What reason does Lorraine give for undertaking the writing project she's working on with John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic meaning the author is trying to attach to the the following:
1. Mr. Pignati's extensive pig collection.
2. John's and Lorraine's roller skates.
3. Bobo the baboon.
Essay Topic 2
Even though John appears shallow at the start of the book, by the end we witness much greater depth than first meets the eye. Discuss John's transformation and evolution as seen from the reader's viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, what makes Mr. Pignati a tragic figure in this story. How does his suffering help other characters grow?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)