|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What deal does Lorraine's mother have with a local undertaker?
2. What does Lorraine see in the middle of Miss Stewart's living room?
3. When Lorraine first calls Mr. Pignati, she tells him that she's doing what?
4. At the zoo, Lorraine observes a series of bad omens including an attack by a _____.
5. During her first phone conversation with Mr. Pignati, Lorraine starts to laugh. What does Mr. Pignati do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Prior to John's and Lorraine's first face to face meeting with Mr. Pignati, is Lorraine eager to meet the man?
2. What does John dislike about Miss King, one of his teachers?
3. Explain what Lorraine says about the book reports she and John write.
4. Can the reader figure out the fate of Mr. Pignati from the first chapter?
5. How does Mr. Pignati receive John and Lorraine at the hospital?
6. Describe how and when Lorraine and John first meet.
7. Describe what Lorraine, John, and their friends do at the cemetery.
8. Explain how John and Lorraine end up having their first kiss.
9. How do John and Lorraine discover that Mrs. Pignati passes away?
10. Why do John and Lorraine call Miss Reillen, the librarian, "the Cricket"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lorraine's mother with John's mother.
1. Which one is the more effective parent?
2. By the end of the book, which pair has the better relationship -- Lorraine and her mother, or John and his mother? Why? Support your answers with specific details from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses a unique literary tool to tell a story in The Pigman. He has his two main characters retell the series of events in writing, in their own words through alternating chapters. Explain what makes this literary technique effective. How does it add interest level to the narration? How does the reader get a broader perspective through the use of this technique?
Essay Topic 3
Is Mr. Pignati the hero in this story? Why or why not? Do you attribute heroism to any other character(s) in this book?
This section contains 1,599 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)