|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lorraine stop by the home of her teacher, Miss Stewart?
2. Lorraine explains that John gets away with so much because ________.
3. While his parents criticize him for not being more like his brother Kenneth, John blames his latest prank on _____.
4. Lorraine notices that John lies to his family but his family ______.
5. Lorraine feels that John needs to make up interesting stories about his life because he is _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What games do John and Lorraine like to play with Mr. Pignati at his house?
2. Describe Lorraine's relationship with her mother.
3. Describe John's impression of Mr. Pignati upon meeting the man for the first time.
4. What reason does Lorraine give for undertaking the writing project she's working on with John?
5. Why does Lorraine's mother have a habit of asking her the exact same questions over and over again?
6. Describe the picture of her parents that Lorraine keeps.
7. How does John feel about the way the world treats older people?
8. Why does John's father stop drinking?
9. While Mr. Pignati is still at the hospital, why does John check to see how much beer and wine are at the man's house?
10. Can the reader figure out the fate of Mr. Pignati from the first chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how John and Lorraine deal with the grief and loss they experience.
Essay Topic 2
Even though John appears shallow at the start of the book, by the end we witness much greater depth than first meets the eye. Discuss John's transformation and evolution as seen from the reader's viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the author uses Lorraine's narration to foreshadow what happens to Mr. Pignati in the end. Cite specific examples from the book, including omens Lorraine refers to.
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)