|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lorraine explains that John tells lies because of his what?
2. When Lorraine tells John about the bad omens at the zoo, what does he do?
3. The Pigman recounts the friendship between two sophomores and their _____________.
4. John says that Mr. Pignati makes a good _____.
5. John and Lorraine describe their book as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Lorraine and a friend, Helen, do at the party at Mr. Pignati's house?
2. Describe Bobo, Mr. Pignati's friend.
3. How does John feel about the way the world treats older people?
4. What does the reader learn about John's feelings after Mr. Pignati dies?
5. Is Lorraine's choice of Mr. Pignati's name from the phone book random?
6. Describe Lorraine's and John's first visit with Mr. Pignati.
7. What uninvited guest shows up at John's and Lorraine's party?
8. While Mr. Pignati is still at the hospital, why does John check to see how much beer and wine are at the man's house?
9. Why does Lorraine feel a sense of compassion for her mother?
10. What brings about Mr. Pignati's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Compare and contrast Lorraine's mother with John's mother. 1. Which one is the more effective parent? 2. By the end of the book, which pair has the better relationship -- Lorraine and her mother, or John and his mother? Why? Support your answers with specific details from the book.
Essay Topic 2Even though John appears shallow at the start of the book, by the end we witness much greater depth than first meets the eye. Discuss John's transformation and evolution as seen from the reader's viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3Through their experiences with Mr. Pignati, as well as their own evolving friendship, Lorraine and John learn a great deal about life. Write about three important life lessons these teens learn, and explain the events and thought processes that bring about each lesson.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)