|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the zoo, Lorraine observes a series of bad omens including an attack by a _____.
2. What does John's father do for a living?
3. John and Lorraine describe their book as what?
4. High school students John and Lorraine are______.
5. How does John convince Lorraine that they go visit Mr. Pignati?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does John have a crush on Lorraine?
2. What does John dislike about Miss King, one of his teachers?
3. How does John feel about the way the world treats older people?
4. What do Lorraine and a friend, Helen, do at the party at Mr. Pignati's house?
5. Describe how and when Lorraine and John first meet.
6. Does John have any interest in the part-time job his parents are trying to get for him?
7. Describe what Lorraine, John, and their friends do at the cemetery.
8. Do you feel Mr. Pignati is correct to trust John and Lorraine with his house keys?
9. From the first chapter, what can you deduce about John's character and personality?
10. What does John feel Lorraine lacks in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast John's relationship with his father and his friendship with Mr. Pignati.
1. What internal or external conflicts does each relationship create?
2. How does John deal with these conflicts?
3. What lessons does each relationship teach John?
Essay Topic 2
Is Mr. Pignati the hero in this story? Why or why not? Do you attribute heroism to any other character(s) in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Through this story, the author is conveying a larger message about life situations. Supporting your analysis with examples from the book, explain what the author is revealing about:
1. Growing up.
2. Growing old.
3. Trusting others.
4. Cherishing friendships.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)