|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lorraine says that John's father is proud of ripping off:
2. What deal does Lorraine's mother have with a local undertaker?
3. At the zoo, Mr. Pignati introduces Lorraine and John to Bobo, who is a _____.
4. Why is John angry at Lorraine's mother?
5. During her first phone conversation with Mr. Pignati, Lorraine starts to laugh. What does Mr. Pignati do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how John and Lorraine end up having their first kiss.
2. Why does John's father stop drinking?
3. Is Lorraine's choice of Mr. Pignati's name from the phone book random?
4. Prior to John's and Lorraine's first face to face meeting with Mr. Pignati, is Lorraine eager to meet the man?
5. While Mr. Pignati is still at the hospital, why does John check to see how much beer and wine are at the man's house?
6. What games do John and Lorraine like to play with Mr. Pignati at his house?
7. During their first phone conversation, why does Lorraine listen to Mr. Pignati's jokes?
8. What does Mr. Pignati purchase for Lorraine and John at Beekman's?
9. What do Lorraine and a friend, Helen, do at the party at Mr. Pignati's house?
10. What does John feel Lorraine lacks in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John wants to be an actor, and Lorraine wants to be a writer. Explain how their personalities and views on life reinforce their career choices.
Essay Topic 2
Through this story, the author is conveying a larger message about life situations. Supporting your analysis with examples from the book, explain what the author is revealing about:
1. Growing up.
2. Growing old.
3. Trusting others.
4. Cherishing friendships.
Essay Topic 3
Perhaps more than any other character, Lorraine experiences a great measure of internal conflict. Explain how the following internal conflicts arise for Lorraine. How she deals with each one? In each instance, does she find a resolution to the conflict?
1. Doing what's right versus following John.
2. Having fun versus treating others with respect.
3. Being angry with her mother versus sympathizing with her mother's hard life.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)