|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What deal does Lorraine's mother have with a local undertaker?
2. Miss King is one of John's what?
3. After their first face to face meeting with Mr. Pignati, why does John feel that he and Lorraine should accompany the man to the zoo?
4. When Lorraine and John start to mimic the apes at the zoo, she says she's surprised that Mr. Pignati does what?
5. What does John's father say to him about his brother Kenneth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John's relationship with authority figures.
2. What does John dislike about Miss King, one of his teachers?
3. After the wild party at Mr. Pignati's house, how do John and Lorraine try to make their amends to their elderly friend?
4. Mr. Pignati spends a week recovering at the hospital. By the end of that week, how are Lorraine and John treating each other?
5. Why does Lorraine's mother have a habit of asking her the exact same questions over and over again?
6. What reason does Lorraine give for undertaking the writing project she's working on with John?
7. How does John convince Lorraine that it's all right for them to cash the check they collected from Mr. Pignati under false pretenses?
8. Why does Lorraine's mother ask her to skip school one day?
9. Can the reader figure out the fate of Mr. Pignati from the first chapter?
10. Describe Lorraine's interest in psychology.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe John's relationship with his parents and Lorraine's relationship with her mother.
1. How do these characters' parents complicate their lives?
2. Why do you feel John and Lorraine are so misunderstood by their parents? How do these misunderstandings shape how they behave and how they view themselves?
3. How does Mr. Pignati and his home represent a sanctuary or refuge for Lorraine and John? Support your answers with specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Through their experiences with Mr. Pignati, the teen characters experience a transformation. What about the primary adults in the story -- do they change or evolve by the end of the book? Answer this question in essay form for the following characters:
1. Lorraine's mother.
2. John's father.
3. John's mother.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic meaning the author is trying to attach to the the following:
1. Mr. Pignati's extensive pig collection.
2. John's and Lorraine's roller skates.
3. Bobo the baboon.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)