|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lorraine reads a great deal about ________.
2. Which part of the Mammal Building do John and Mr. Pignati really enjoy?
3. What does Mr. Pignati buy Lorraine and John at the zoo?
4. John explains that Lorraine may remember big words, but he remembers _______.
5. Mr. Pignati serves John and Lorraine scungilli, which John describes as _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. During their first phone conversation, why does Lorraine listen to Mr. Pignati's jokes?
2. Describe Bobo, Mr. Pignati's friend.
3. How do John and Lorraine treat each other right after Mr. Pignati is taken to the hospital?
4. Describe Lorraine's interest in psychology.
5. How does Mr. Pignati react when Lorraine asks him about an old photo she finds of his wife?
6. Can the reader figure out the fate of Mr. Pignati from the first chapter?
7. Mr. Pignati spends a week recovering at the hospital. By the end of that week, how are Lorraine and John treating each other?
8. How does getting busted at a wild party become a turning point for Lorraine in her relationship with her mother?
9. What games do John and Lorraine like to play with Mr. Pignati at his house?
10. Why does Lorraine's mother have a habit of asking her the exact same questions over and over again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Compare and contrast the personalities, behavior, attitudes, and outlooks of John and Lorraine. In what ways are these two characters different? How are they similar?
2. What draws them to each other?
3. How do these two complementary characters balance each other? Keep each other grounded? Expand one another's horizons?
Essay Topic 2
Several minor characters serve important roles in the book. Describe the relevance of the following characters:
1. Norton, friend of John and Lorraine.
2. Conchetta, Mr. Pignati's deceased wife.
3. Kenneth, John's brother.
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, what makes Mr. Pignati a tragic figure in this story. How does his suffering help other characters grow?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)