|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lorraine says that John's father is proud of ripping off:
2. Friends John and Lorraine attend what high school?
3. Lorraine states that Mr. Pignati lives on Howard Avenue, just a few blocks from ______.
4. John says that Lorraine becomes what?
5. What does John's father do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Prior to John's and Lorraine's first face to face meeting with Mr. Pignati, is Lorraine eager to meet the man?
2. Does John have any interest in the part-time job his parents are trying to get for him?
3. What does John dislike about Miss King, one of his teachers?
4. How do John and Lorraine discover that Mrs. Pignati passes away?
5. Why does Lorraine's mother have a habit of asking her the exact same questions over and over again?
6. How does getting busted at a wild party become a turning point for Lorraine in her relationship with her mother?
7. What reason does Lorraine give for undertaking the writing project she's working on with John?
8. How do John and Lorraine treat each other right after Mr. Pignati is taken to the hospital?
9. During their first phone conversation, why does Lorraine listen to Mr. Pignati's jokes?
10. Explain what Lorraine says about the book reports she and John write.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the author carries out the following themes in his book, using specific examples:
1. Making choices and living with the consequences.
2. Taking responsibility for one's actions.
3. Coming to terms with events and conditions that are beyond one's control.
Essay Topic 2
Explain, in detail, what makes Mr. Pignati a tragic figure in this story. How does his suffering help other characters grow?
Essay Topic 3
Several minor characters serve important roles in the book. Describe the relevance of the following characters:
1. Norton, friend of John and Lorraine.
2. Conchetta, Mr. Pignati's deceased wife.
3. Kenneth, John's brother.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)