|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Three, John gives the impression that he and Lorraine:
2. Norton and Dennis want to drink beer with John and Lorraine at the _____.
3. How does John describe Mr. Pignati after their first meeting?
4. When he is in ninth grade, John likes to harass substitute teachers by rolling what across the floor?
5. After their first face to face meeting with Mr. Pignati, why does John feel that he and Lorraine should accompany the man to the zoo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though he dies, Mr. Pignati's last few months are transformed by John and Lorraine. How does Mr. Pignati benefit from his friendship with these two teenagers?
2. How does Lorraine feel about Mr. Pignati when the police take her and John to their homes after the party breaks up?
3. How does Lorraine describe John?
4. Why is having a party at Mr. Pignati's house so important to John?
5. What brings about Mr. Pignati's death?
6. How does John feel about the way the world treats older people?
7. Describe Lorraine's relationship with her mother.
8. Why does Lorraine's mother ask her to skip school one day?
9. How does getting busted at a wild party become a turning point for Lorraine in her relationship with her mother?
10. Describe Lorraine's and John's first visit with Mr. Pignati.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perhaps more than any other character, Lorraine experiences a great measure of internal conflict. Explain how the following internal conflicts arise for Lorraine. How she deals with each one? In each instance, does she find a resolution to the conflict?
1. Doing what's right versus following John.
2. Having fun versus treating others with respect.
3. Being angry with her mother versus sympathizing with her mother's hard life.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the author uses Lorraine's narration to foreshadow what happens to Mr. Pignati in the end. Cite specific examples from the book, including omens Lorraine refers to.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic meaning the author is trying to attach to the the following:
1. Mr. Pignati's extensive pig collection.
2. John's and Lorraine's roller skates.
3. Bobo the baboon.
This section contains 1,803 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)