|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lorraine reads a great deal about ________.
2. What does John say happens to all the people who work with his father?
3. Who does Mr. Pignati bring up in his first phone conversation with Lorraine?
4. At the zoo, Lorraine observes a series of bad omens including an attack by a _____.
5. What does John's father do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lorraine worries that John drinks too much. Why does John start drinking?
2. Describe what Lorraine, John, and their friends do at the cemetery.
3. Do you think Lorraine has a crush on John?
4. What brings about Mr. Pignati's death?
5. How does Mr. Pignati receive John and Lorraine at the hospital?
6. How does Lorraine describe John?
7. Why do John and Lorraine call Miss Reillen, the librarian, "the Cricket"?
8. What do Lorraine and a friend, Helen, do at the party at Mr. Pignati's house?
9. Why does John's father stop drinking?
10. Describe Lorraine's relationship with her mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, in detail, what makes Mr. Pignati a tragic figure in this story. How does his suffering help other characters grow?
Essay Topic 2
1. Compare and contrast the personalities, behavior, attitudes, and outlooks of John and Lorraine. In what ways are these two characters different? How are they similar?
2. What draws them to each other?
3. How do these two complementary characters balance each other? Keep each other grounded? Expand one another's horizons?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the author carries out the following themes in his book, using specific examples:
1. Making choices and living with the consequences.
2. Taking responsibility for one's actions.
3. Coming to terms with events and conditions that are beyond one's control.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)