|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lorraine notices that John lies to his family but his family ______.
2. Lorraine figures that Miss Stewart does what?
3. Now that he's a sophomore, what does John say about his freshman pranks?
4. What does Lorraine say about John's hostility?
5. Kenneth is how many years older than John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Lorraine give for John wanting to be an actor?
2. Why does Lorraine feel a sense of compassion for her mother?
3. Describe Lorraine's interest in psychology.
4. What do John and Lorraine gained through Mr. Pignati's death?
5. After the wild party at Mr. Pignati's house, how do John and Lorraine try to make their amends to their elderly friend?
6. What does Mr. Pignati purchase for Lorraine and John at Beekman's?
7. What quality above all others does John like about Mr. Pignati?
8. Does John have a crush on Lorraine?
9. How do John and Lorraine treat each other right after Mr. Pignati is taken to the hospital?
10. Mr. Pignati spends a week recovering at the hospital. By the end of that week, how are Lorraine and John treating each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast John's relationship with his father and his friendship with Mr. Pignati.
1. What internal or external conflicts does each relationship create?
2. How does John deal with these conflicts?
3. What lessons does each relationship teach John?
Essay Topic 2
John wants to be an actor, and Lorraine wants to be a writer. Explain how their personalities and views on life reinforce their career choices.
Essay Topic 3
Perhaps more than any other character, Lorraine experiences a great measure of internal conflict. Explain how the following internal conflicts arise for Lorraine. How she deals with each one? In each instance, does she find a resolution to the conflict?
1. Doing what's right versus following John.
2. Having fun versus treating others with respect.
3. Being angry with her mother versus sympathizing with her mother's hard life.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)