|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John feels that the only things Lorraine lacks in are what?
2. Who is Miss Reillen?
3. What does Lorraine not allow John to write in their book?
4. While looking around Mr. Pignati's house, John finds a closet full of what?
5. Now that he's a sophomore, what does John say about his freshman pranks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lorraine's interest in psychology.
2. How does Lorraine describe John?
3. What reason does Lorraine give for John wanting to be an actor?
4. What does the reader learn about John's feelings after Mr. Pignati dies?
5. What uninvited guest shows up at John's and Lorraine's party?
6. Describe Bobo, Mr. Pignati's friend.
7. Mr. Pignati spends a week recovering at the hospital. By the end of that week, how are Lorraine and John treating each other?
8. Why does Lorraine feel a sense of compassion for her mother?
9. During their first phone conversation, why does Lorraine listen to Mr. Pignati's jokes?
10. How does getting busted at a wild party become a turning point for Lorraine in her relationship with her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through this story, the author is conveying a larger message about life situations. Supporting your analysis with examples from the book, explain what the author is revealing about:
1. Growing up.
2. Growing old.
3. Trusting others.
4. Cherishing friendships.
Essay Topic 2
1. Compare and contrast the personalities, behavior, attitudes, and outlooks of John and Lorraine. In what ways are these two characters different? How are they similar?
2. What draws them to each other?
3. How do these two complementary characters balance each other? Keep each other grounded? Expand one another's horizons?
Essay Topic 3
1. At the start of the story, the main characters state that they are setting out to write an epic memorial. What does this mean?
2. By the end of the story, do you feel that Lorraine and John accomplish their mission? Why or why not?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)