|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Pignati says that Bobo is ______.
2. John says that Mr. Pignati makes a good _____.
3. When Lorraine's mother tells her to skip school the next day to help her clean their house, the teen says what?
4. Mr. Pignati serves John and Lorraine scungilli, which John describes as _____.
5. What deal does Lorraine's mother have with a local undertaker?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Pignati encounter when a taxi brings him home as the teens' party is going full swing?
2. What angers Lorraine about the toy department at Beekman's department store?
3. What does John feel Lorraine lacks in?
4. Do you think Lorraine has a crush on John?
5. Describe John's relationship with authority figures.
6. What do Lorraine and a friend, Helen, do at the party at Mr. Pignati's house?
7. Describe John's impression of Mr. Pignati upon meeting the man for the first time.
8. How does John feel about the way the world treats older people?
9. How does Lorraine describe John?
10. How do John and Lorraine discover that Mrs. Pignati passes away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through their experiences with Mr. Pignati, the teen characters experience a transformation. What about the primary adults in the story -- do they change or evolve by the end of the book? Answer this question in essay form for the following characters:
1. Lorraine's mother.
2. John's father.
3. John's mother.
Essay Topic 2
Several minor characters serve important roles in the book. Describe the relevance of the following characters:
1. Norton, friend of John and Lorraine.
2. Conchetta, Mr. Pignati's deceased wife.
3. Kenneth, John's brother.
Essay Topic 3
Describe John's relationship with his parents and Lorraine's relationship with her mother.
1. How do these characters' parents complicate their lives?
2. Why do you feel John and Lorraine are so misunderstood by their parents? How do these misunderstandings shape how they behave and how they view themselves?
3. How does Mr. Pignati and his home represent a sanctuary or refuge for Lorraine and John? Support your answers with specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,583 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)