|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the party breaks up, who takes Lorraine and John home?
(a) The police.
(b) John's brother.
(c) Mr. Pignati.
(d) The taxi driver.
2. After John and Lorraine go back to Mr. Pignati's house, while he remains in the hospital, what does Lorraine do?
(a) Draws a picture.
(b) Sobs uncontrollably.
(c) Throws away the skates.
(d) Cooks dinner.
3. En route to Beekman's Department Store with John and Mr. Pignati, Lorraine sees what?
(a) A parade.
(b) A band of hippies.
(c) More omens.
(d) A shooting star.
4. What does Lorraine think about John's idea for a party at Mr. Pignati's house?
(a) It's wonderful.
(b) She's distracted by the phone ringing.
(c) She's indifferent.
(d) It's crazy.
5. After Lorraine and John discover what happens to Mrs. Pignati, how do Mr. Pignati's jokes make Lorraine feel?
6. What game are Mr. Pignati, John, and Lorraine playing as they roller skate inside Mr. Pignati's house?
(a) Simon says.
(c) Space invaders.
(d) Truth or dare.
7. Why do John and Lorraine tell the police that they are Mr. Pignati's children?
(a) Because they feel as though they are Mr. Pignati's children.
(b) To avoid suspicion.
(c) So they can visit Mr. Pignati at the hospital.
(d) Because Mr. Pignati has no family.
8. John and Lorraine conclude that Mr. Pignati is happy when _____.
(a) They are allowed to have fun.
(b) He's listening to old records.
(c) They tickle him.
(d) He takes a walk along the river.
9. As a result of what Norton plays with when he is little, according to John, Norton becomes what?
(a) A bully.
(b) An introvert.
(c) A cynic.
(d) A pushover.
10. What happens to Mr. Pignati once he learns that Bobo dies of pneumonia?
(a) He chokes on a peanut and loses consciousness.
(b) He tells the kids he never wants to see them again.
(c) He is struck by grief and dies.
(d) He walks away in stunned silence.
11. Which person does John specifically NOT invite to the party?
12. When John and Lorraine meet Mr. Pignati at the Staten Island ferry, they encounter what?
(a) Drunks and bums.
(b) Actors and models.
(c) Lorraine's mother.
(d) The school principal.
13. Lorraine treasures a picture she has of _____.
(a) Her best friend from her previous school.
(b) Her mother and father when they are young.
(c) John when she first meets him.
(d) The grandparents she never has the chance to meet.
14. The complicated game that John and Lorraine play with Mr. Pignati turns out to be a psychological one, with their answers equating to what?
(a) Whatever is on each player's mind at the moment.
(b) Each player's truest wish.
(c) The one thing the player fears most.
(d) That which each player finds most important in his or her life.
15. After Mr. Pignati tells John and Lorraine a complicated story, they are instructed to write down the order in which they think that _____.
(a) Characters are responsible for the end of the story.
(b) Events take place.
(c) Food items are cooked.
(d) Battles are fought, won, and lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lorraine and Helen do at the party?
2. Why does Lorraine's mother keep asking her to explain where the stockings come from?
3. Why is Norton upset when he arrives at the party?
4. Why does John not invite a particular person to the party?
5. After visiting Mr. Pignati at the hospital, John goes back to the old man's place, tries on his clothes, and pretends to be a what?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)