|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lorraine justify the fact that her mother picks on her?
(a) Her mother has a hard life.
(b) She gives her mother grief.
(c) She sees herself as an overly needy teen.
(d) Her mother is abandoned by four husbands.
2. Who gets John to start drinking beer?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
3. Norton gains notoriety when he gets caught stealing what?
(a) A bag of marshmallows.
(b) The teacher's purse.
(c) Tissue boxes.
(d) Blue crayons.
4. What happens after Lorraine scolds John for running up the stairs with roller skates?
(a) She feels badly and apologizes profusely.
(b) They yell at each other and then comfort one another.
(c) The police officer starts to ask them questions.
(d) He bursts out of the house in anger.
5. What does Mr. Pignati buy at the department store for both Lorraine and John?
(a) Roller skates.
(b) Chocolate truffles.
(c) Beach balls.
(d) Gingerbread cookies.
6. Are John and Lorraine allowed to have parties in their own homes?
(a) Only Lorraine is allowed.
(d) Only John is allowed.
7. What do John, Lorraine, and Mr. Pignati ride to the monkey house?
(a) Taxi cab.
(c) Zoo train.
(d) City bus.
8. In the silence that follows Mr. Pignati telling the teens that his wife is dead, what does Lorraine offer John?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A hug.
(d) Kind words.
9. John tells Lorraine that he knows what happens to Mrs. Pignati because he finds:
(a) A notice from a psychiatric hospital.
(b) A goodbye letter from Mrs. Pignati.
(c) A sad letter written by Mr. Pignati.
(d) Her funeral bill.
10. John and Lorraine conclude that Mr. Pignati is happy when _____.
(a) They tickle him.
(b) He takes a walk along the river.
(c) They are allowed to have fun.
(d) He's listening to old records.
11. After the party breaks up, who takes Lorraine and John home?
(a) The police.
(b) John's brother.
(c) The taxi driver.
(d) Mr. Pignati.
12. With Mr. Pignati in the hospital almost a week, how do John and Lorraine start to behave?
(a) Bored and restless.
(b) Like a couple of kindergartners.
(c) Like an old married couple.
(d) As if they're guilty of something.
13. John comes to realize that he greatly values his friendship with who?
(a) His parents.
(b) His brother.
(c) The Pigman.
14. When John and Lorraine give Mr. Pignati his house keys at the hospital, he does what?
(a) Tells them to keep the keys in case they want to watch television at his place.
(b) Takes the keys and throws them out the window.
(c) Sadly tells them that he no longer needs his keys.
(d) Stares at them blankly and refuses to take the keys.
15. After being brought home from the party, and eventually joining her mother in the kitchen, what does Lorraine talk about?
(a) Her friendship with Mr. Pignati.
(b) How she misses her father.
(c) Her love for John.
(d) Wanting her mother to love her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following Lorraine's heart to heart talk with her mother in the kitchen, the teen feels that_____.
2. What does John do when Norton asks about Mr. Pignati?
3. Does John genuinely believe that Mr. Pignati wants them to have a party?
4. Why does Lorraine's mother keep asking her to explain where the stockings come from?
5. While Mr. Pignati is recovering at the hospital, what do John and Lorraine do?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)