|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At home, John is frequently told to do what?
(a) Make dinner for everyone.
(b) Move out.
(c) Stop hanging around Lorraine.
(d) Quit disturbing his parents.
2. When John and Lorraine skip school to visit Mr. Pignati at the hospital, the old man is _____.
(a) Dazed and confused.
(b) In poor spirits.
(c) Happy to see them.
(d) Fast asleep.
3. John and Lorraine conclude that Mr. Pignati is happy when _____.
(a) They tickle him.
(b) He takes a walk along the river.
(c) He's listening to old records.
(d) They are allowed to have fun.
4. What does John find Norton doing at the party?
(a) Kissing Lorraine.
(b) Beating up Dennis.
(c) Trying to steal Mr. Pignati's valuables.
(d) Throwing Mr. Pignati's clothes out the window.
5. What do John and Lorraine have plenty of at their party?
(c) Party games.
6. Why does Lorraine's mother keep asking her to explain where the stockings come from?
(a) She secretly worries they come from a boy.
(b) She always has a habit of repeating herself.
(c) Because she's very forgetful.
(d) To see if she can catch Lorraine in a lie.
7. After John and Lorraine make their confession to Mr. Pignati, how does he react?
(a) He ignores their words and cheerfully talks about Bobo.
(b) He laughs and tells them to not worry about it.
(c) He cries and asks if they enjoy being cruel.
(d) He looks sad and talks about Conchetta.
8. John tells Lorraine that he knows what happens to Mrs. Pignati because he finds:
(a) A sad letter written by Mr. Pignati.
(b) A notice from a psychiatric hospital.
(c) Her funeral bill.
(d) A goodbye letter from Mrs. Pignati.
9. Why does Lorraine justify the fact that her mother picks on her?
(a) Her mother has a hard life.
(b) Her mother is abandoned by four husbands.
(c) She sees herself as an overly needy teen.
(d) She gives her mother grief.
10. Are John and Lorraine allowed to have parties in their own homes?
(b) Only Lorraine is allowed.
(c) Only John is allowed.
11. What does Lorraine think about John's idea for a party at Mr. Pignati's house?
(a) She's distracted by the phone ringing.
(b) It's crazy.
(c) She's indifferent.
(d) It's wonderful.
12. Why does John's father have to quit drinking?
(a) He is diagnosed with sclerosis of the liver.
(b) He is involved in a drunk driving accident.
(c) John's mother threatens to leave him.
(d) He develops a brain tumor.
13. What happens to Mr. Pignati once he learns that Bobo dies of pneumonia?
(a) He walks away in stunned silence.
(b) He tells the kids he never wants to see them again.
(c) He is struck by grief and dies.
(d) He chokes on a peanut and loses consciousness.
14. Mr. Pignati's situation reminds Lorraine of _____.
(a) Her own broken heart.
(b) A story she writes about love and betrayal.
(c) A landlady who couldn't accept her husband's death.
(d) Her father leaving her mother.
15. After the tension is broken following Mr. Pignati telling the teens that his wife passes away, what does Mr. Pignati start to do?
Short Answer Questions
1. After John and Lorraine apologize to Mr. Pignati, where does the man agree to meet them?
2. What clues indicate that John has a crush on Lorraine?
3. When John and Lorraine give Mr. Pignati his house keys at the hospital, he does what?
4. After being brought home from the party, and eventually joining her mother in the kitchen, what does Lorraine talk about?
5. What does John tell Lorraine about the party he's planning at Mr. Pignati's house?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)