|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does John give his father?
(a) Old man.
(b) Money king.
2. Mr. Pignati says that his wife is where?
(a) New Mexico.
3. Now that he's a sophomore, what does John say about his freshman pranks?
(a) He's given up this kid stuff.
(b) Those are the days.
(c) His father teaches him these pranks.
(d) He's lucky he never gets caught.
4. What happens to Lorraine's father?
(a) He's in prison for fraud.
(b) He leaves the family and later dies.
(c) He's living in a monastery in France.
(d) He disappears mysteriously.
5. Kenneth is how many years older than John?
6. Lorraine says that John's father is proud of ripping off:
(a) The insurance company.
(b) The electric company.
(c) His secretary.
(d) His own son.
7. What does John's father say to him about his brother Kenneth?
(a) The two brothers are nothing alike.
(b) The two brothers could be twins, if not for their age difference.
(c) Kenneth is struggling with a drug addiction.
(d) Kenneth is thinking of joining the army.
8. Norton and Dennis want to drink beer with John and Lorraine at the _____.
(a) Bus depot.
(c) Train station.
9. Lorraine explains that John tells lies because of his what?
(a) Need for attention.
(b) Lack of respect for others.
(c) Fear of the truth.
(d) Obsessive-compulsive disorder.
10. Lorraine reads a great deal about ________.
11. In Chapter Two, Lorraine explains that she and John feel they need to write about what?
(a) Their hopes and dreams.
(b) The most remarkable person they ever meet.
(c) Their lives as sophomores.
(d) Strange things that happen.
12. Who does Mr. Pignati bring up in his first phone conversation with Lorraine?
(a) His brother.
(b) The city's mayor.
(c) The school's principal.
(d) His wife.
13. How does John describe Mr. Pignati after their first meeting?
(a) Short, thin, and with a rose tattoo on his arm.
(b) In his seventies, frail, and timid.
(c) Large, in his fifties, and with a bit of a beer belly.
(d) Tall, obese, and smelling of garlic.
14. What does Lorraine say about John's hostility?
(a) It's threatening their friendship.
(b) It gets him arrested.
(c) It stems from alcohol abuse.
(d) It's an act.
15. Why is John angry at Lorraine's mother?
(a) She distorts facts regarding Lorraine's appearance.
(b) She constantly mocks him.
(c) She accuses Lorraine of lying and stealing.
(d) She refuses to talk to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. During her first phone conversation with Mr. Pignati, Lorraine starts to laugh. What does Mr. Pignati do?
2. Mr. Pignati's home is _____.
3. What does Lorraine see in the middle of Miss Stewart's living room?
4. John explains that Lorraine may remember big words, but he remembers _______.
5. While looking around Mr. Pignati's house, John finds a closet full of what?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)