|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madge do when she comes outside and sees Alan?
2. Why does Alan back away from a fight with Hal?
3. What does Howard tell Rosemary?
4. Why does Madge hesitate to leave with Hal?
5. What has Rosemary never required from Howard?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play PICNIC when there is no scene actually set at a picnic? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Inge's use of humor in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Hal. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)