|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Howard do soon after dropping Rosemary at home?
2. Who does Alan say is to blame for the previous night?
3. What time of day does Act 3, Scene 2 take place?
4. What has Rosemary never required from Howard?
5. With whom does Madge fall in love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play PICNIC when there is no scene actually set at a picnic? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
PICNIC is set in the 1950s during a time of economic boom but sexual repression. What impact did these two factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on his work, especially the PICNIC? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s. Conversely, what is the role of unmarried women in the 1950s? What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that twenty-first century women do not have?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)