|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Rosemary as Act 3, Scene 1 opens?
2. What does Madge tell Hal after he kisses her goodnight?
3. Why has Alan's father reported Hal to the police?
4. What can be said about Madge's state of mind at this point in the play?
5. What does Hal tell Madge he is going to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
PICNIC is a classic story of metamorphosis and empowerment. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Inge use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
PICNIC is set in the 1950s during a time of economic boom but sexual repression. What impact did these two factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on his work, especially the PICNIC? Explain.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)