|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In college, Hal and Alan were __________________.
2. Which character is by herself as Act 2 begins?
3. What do Mrs. Owens, Madge and Millie hear as they stand on their porch?
4. What do Rosemary and Flo talk about regarding Helen?
5. How old is Madge Owens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Madge's confusion regarding making love to Hal earlier tonight.
2. Explain how Millie and Madge have exchanged roles in Act 2.
3. What is the setting for the play?
4. Explain how Madge and Hal declare their true feelings for each other.
5. Why is Flo obsessed with wanting Madge to marry Alan?
6. What is Flo's response as she witnesses the interaction between Hal and Madge?
7. How does Madge respond to Hal's vulnerability?
8. How are Rosemary's true feelings about men in stark contrast to her behavior?
9. What is the mood between Howard and Rosemary when they arrive home?
10. Who is Hal and how is he introduced in the scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study on Rosemary. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two themes about love in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Alcohol takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)