|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Howard?
2. Where does Rosemary want Howard to take her?
3. Where does Millie want to go on a train?
4. Where does Rosemary shout that Hal belongs?
5. What does Millie tease Madge about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hal react when Madge rejects him?
2. What is the source of the sibling rivalry between Madge and Millie?
3. Why is tonight a turning point in Madge's life?
4. What is different about Rosemary's behavior with Hal when she begs him to marry her?
5. How does Alan respond when Madge apologizes for not going to the picnic the night before?
6. Describe Alan's ineffective response when he sees Hal with Madge.
7. How does Madge respond to Hal's vulnerability?
8. What does Madge dream of when she hears the train whistle in the distance?
9. What is Flo's response as she witnesses the interaction between Hal and Madge?
10. What are Flo's intentions regarding Madge and her boyfriend, Alan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alcohol takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Inge use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
PICNIC is a classic story of metamorphosis and empowerment. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)