* The play opens early in the morning on Labor Day in a small Kansas town.
* All the events take place on the porches of two homes.
* Mrs. Flo Owens and her daughters, Madge and Millie, live in one house and Mrs. Helen Potts and her invalid mother live in the neighboring house.
* Mrs. Potts has hired a vagabond named Hal for the day to do some work around her house.
* Millie is arguing with a neighbor boy named Bomber who harasses Madge to go out with him.
* Hal intervenes and sends Bomber on his way and Madge is instantly attracted to the handsome Hal.
* Flo chases Hal away and she and her daughters listen to the sound of a distant train whistle.
* Millie longs to take a train to New York while Madge hopes a handsome stranger will get off the train one day, discover her and...
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)