|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Maretha upstairs when she is too afraid of Sutter's ghost to enter on her own?
2. Who does the weapon belong to before Berniece takes it for protection?
3. Who does Berniece order out of the room once she pulls the gun?
4. Who does Lymon admit that he was interested in but wasn't quick enough to get to?
5. Which of the following items does Avery NOT use during his exorcism of the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though there are many characters who have passed away in the play, the living characters seem to believe that they are still able to communicate with the dead. Give two examples of moments within the play that living characters attempt to speak with the dead. Compare / contrast their methods of speaking with the dead and compare / contrast the outcome of their "conversations."
Essay Topic 2
The railroads of the town are extremely significant throughout the play.
Part 1. Explain the symbolism of a railroad as it pertains to Boy Willie's life.
Part 2. Explain the reasons why the railroad is important in Doaker's life.
Part 3. Explain why the railroad has come to be an important element in the supernatural elements of the play.
Essay Topic 3
The piano itself is arguably the strongest symbol in the entire play. Explain the history of the piano and briefly discuss why the physical structure of the piano can be seen as a symbol within the Charles family.
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)