|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon does Berniece retrieve to protect herself and her belongings?
2. Why does Lymon say that his date has been canceled?
3. What color are the trains at the railway before its name is changed?
4. What does Avery suggest Berniece start doing to keep herself busy and involved in the church?
5. What does Boy Willie use to block the door of the young woman's room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The piano itself is arguably the strongest symbol in the entire play. Explain the history of the piano and briefly discuss why the physical structure of the piano can be seen as a symbol within the Charles family.
Essay Topic 2
The railroads of the town are extremely significant throughout the play.
Part 1. Explain the symbolism of a railroad as it pertains to Boy Willie's life.
Part 2. Explain the reasons why the railroad is important in Doaker's life.
Part 3. Explain why the railroad has come to be an important element in the supernatural elements of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams prove to be an interesting and important way for characters in the text to receive divine messages. Avery's dream, in particular, is given the most symbolic weight within the story. Explain the symbolism of Avery's dream as it relates to his future and the themes within the play as a whole.
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)