|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role will Berniece play in Avery's new church?
2. What story does Boy Willie tell Maretha as he waxes wood for the dolly?
3. When Berniece sees Boy Willie telling Maretha stories, what does she ask Boy Willie to do?
4. What are the final words spoken in the play before the stage lights fade to black?
5. What statement does Boy Willie make about death?
Essay Topic 1
The women in this play are portrayed as weak in comparison to the men in the play. Choose one female character in the play and give two examples of the ways that they are overpowered by the male characters. Then, discuss the female character's reaction to the overpowering male characters.
Essay Topic 2
The Ghosts of Yellow Dog are important characters within the recurring theme of revenge.
Part 1. Explain the way that the Ghosts of Yellow Dog came to be.
Part 2. Discuss the way that the Ghosts of Yellow Dog exacted their revenge.
Part 3. Briefly discuss the various ways that the townsfolk viewed the acts that were considered to be the work of the Ghosts of Yellow Dog.
Essay Topic 3
The railroads of the town are extremely significant throughout the play.
Part 1. Explain the symbolism of a railroad as it pertains to Boy Willie's life.
Part 2. Explain the reasons why the railroad is important in Doaker's life.
Part 3. Explain why the railroad has come to be an important element in the supernatural elements of the play.
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)