|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Berniece claim blames himself for Boy Charles' death?
2. Boy Willie thinks that Berniece is teaching Maretha to live where?
3. Which member of the family comes downstairs to find Boy Willie and the young woman kissing?
4. Who tells Lymon that he'll eventually get what he wants from women as long as he keeps hoping?
5. When did Berniece stop playing the piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ghosts of Yellow Dog are important characters within the recurring theme of revenge.
Part 1. Explain the way that the Ghosts of Yellow Dog came to be.
Part 2. Discuss the way that the Ghosts of Yellow Dog exacted their revenge.
Part 3. Briefly discuss the various ways that the townsfolk viewed the acts that were considered to be the work of the Ghosts of Yellow Dog.
Essay Topic 2
Music is another way for the Charles family to preserve their family history.
Part 1. Create a list of three scenes within the play during which music is present.
Part 2. Explain why the music of the play acts as a symbol of the Charles family history.
Part 3. Choose two characters from the Charles family and compare / contrast their relationship to music. This comparison could be regarding the piano music or the family singing.
Essay Topic 3
The women in this play are portrayed as weak in comparison to the men in the play. Choose one female character in the play and give two examples of the ways that they are overpowered by the male characters. Then, discuss the female character's reaction to the overpowering male characters.
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)