|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What card game does Doaker frequently play?
2. Who does Boy Willie accuse, other than Avery, of picking and choosing the scriptures that they believe in?
3. How does Berniece respond to the unexpected gift from Lymon?
4. Which character begins to play the piano, calling out to the family's ancestors to save the situation?
5. Who did Boy Willie beg to resurrect his dead pet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Music is another way for the Charles family to preserve their family history.
Part 1. Create a list of three scenes within the play during which music is present.
Part 2. Explain why the music of the play acts as a symbol of the Charles family history.
Part 3. Choose two characters from the Charles family and compare / contrast their relationship to music. This comparison could be regarding the piano music or the family singing.
Essay Topic 2
Boy Willie and Berniece have an equal claim to the piano in the play. Explain the reason why the siblings have come into possession of the piano. Compare/contrast the way that both of the siblings view the piano's place in their past and their future.
Essay Topic 3
The text of "The Piano Lesson" is presented as a play rather than straight prose. What reasons do you think August Wilson had to present his story this way? What was gained in the form of stage writing? What was lost?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)