|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Boy Willie ask to help move the piano?
2. Who does Lymon admit that he was interested in but wasn't quick enough to get to?
3. What does Berniece tell Maretha would make the process of combing her hair easier?
4. Which character arrives to the final scene late, searching for Lymon to go to the movies?
5. Which character begins to play the piano, calling out to the family's ancestors to save the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams prove to be an interesting and important way for characters in the text to receive divine messages. Avery's dream, in particular, is given the most symbolic weight within the story. Explain the symbolism of Avery's dream as it relates to his future and the themes within the play as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of supernatural beings within the Charles home is particularly strong in relation to Sutter's ghost.
Part 1. Give three examples of moments in which one or more members of the Charles family feels the presence of Sutter's spirit in their home.
Part 2. Briefly explain the reasons suggested for Sutter's stalking of the Charles family, and particularly, his spirit's apparent presence within the piano.
Part 3. Explain the various ways that members of the Charles family attempt to get rid of Sutter's spirit.
Essay Topic 3
Even though there are many characters who have passed away in the play, the living characters seem to believe that they are still able to communicate with the dead. Give two examples of moments within the play that living characters attempt to speak with the dead. Compare / contrast their methods of speaking with the dead and compare / contrast the outcome of their "conversations."
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)