|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The thwarting character demands that the pair wait for which character to return home before selling the piano?
2. What does Boy Willie leave the house to retrieve, hoping that it will help him move the piano?
3. Who did Boy Willie beg to resurrect his dead pet?
4. Who tries to enter the young woman's room while Boy Willie was there?
5. What has Avery's new landlord given to the new church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams prove to be an interesting and important way for characters in the text to receive divine messages. Avery's dream, in particular, is given the most symbolic weight within the story. Explain the symbolism of Avery's dream as it relates to his future and the themes within the play as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
The text of "The Piano Lesson" is presented as a play rather than straight prose. What reasons do you think August Wilson had to present his story this way? What was gained in the form of stage writing? What was lost?
Essay Topic 3
Berniece finds herself in many romantic relationships throughout the course of the play. Briefly describe the three romantic relationships that she has and list the positive and negative aspects of each relationship in Berniece's life.
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)