|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The thwarting character emerges from what room to stop the pair from moving the piano?
2. What has Avery's new landlord given to the new church?
3. Who tells Berniece that Boy Willie is going to be removing the piano?
4. After his meeting with the landlord, what has Avery come to ask Berniece?
5. What does Avery argue that a pastor needs to attract an audience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams prove to be an interesting and important way for characters in the text to receive divine messages. Avery's dream, in particular, is given the most symbolic weight within the story. Explain the symbolism of Avery's dream as it relates to his future and the themes within the play as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of supernatural beings within the Charles home is particularly strong in relation to Sutter's ghost.
Part 1. Give three examples of moments in which one or more members of the Charles family feels the presence of Sutter's spirit in their home.
Part 2. Briefly explain the reasons suggested for Sutter's stalking of the Charles family, and particularly, his spirit's apparent presence within the piano.
Part 3. Explain the various ways that members of the Charles family attempt to get rid of Sutter's spirit.
Essay Topic 3
Boy Willie and Berniece have an equal claim to the piano in the play. Explain the reason why the siblings have come into possession of the piano. Compare/contrast the way that both of the siblings view the piano's place in their past and their future.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)