|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character enters the scene and forbids the pair to move the piano any further?
2. What does Avery argue that a pastor needs to attract an audience?
3. Which of the following items does Avery NOT use during his exorcism of the house?
4. Who tries to enter the young woman's room while Boy Willie was there?
5. What has Avery's new landlord given to the new church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ghosts of Yellow Dog are important characters within the recurring theme of revenge.
Part 1. Explain the way that the Ghosts of Yellow Dog came to be.
Part 2. Discuss the way that the Ghosts of Yellow Dog exacted their revenge.
Part 3. Briefly discuss the various ways that the townsfolk viewed the acts that were considered to be the work of the Ghosts of Yellow Dog.
Essay Topic 2
Even though there are many characters who have passed away in the play, the living characters seem to believe that they are still able to communicate with the dead. Give two examples of moments within the play that living characters attempt to speak with the dead. Compare / contrast their methods of speaking with the dead and compare / contrast the outcome of their "conversations."
Essay Topic 3
The railroads of the town are extremely significant throughout the play.
Part 1. Explain the symbolism of a railroad as it pertains to Boy Willie's life.
Part 2. Explain the reasons why the railroad is important in Doaker's life.
Part 3. Explain why the railroad has come to be an important element in the supernatural elements of the play.
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)