|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the real name of the Yellow Dog railway?
2. Where does Lymon sleep in the Charles household?
3. What does Avery tell Berniece that she needs?
4. Who does Lymon admit that he was interested in but wasn't quick enough to get to?
5. When Berniece sees Boy Willie telling Maretha stories, what does she ask Boy Willie to do?
Essay Topic 1
Storytelling proves to be one of the most powerful elements of information transfer throughout the play. Choose one story that was told during the course of the play, explain the story's significance, and discuss how this story is an example of the importance of storytelling in the Charles family culture.
Essay Topic 2
The piano itself is arguably the strongest symbol in the entire play. Explain the history of the piano and briefly discuss why the physical structure of the piano can be seen as a symbol within the Charles family.
Essay Topic 3
The railroads of the town are extremely significant throughout the play.
Part 1. Explain the symbolism of a railroad as it pertains to Boy Willie's life.
Part 2. Explain the reasons why the railroad is important in Doaker's life.
Part 3. Explain why the railroad has come to be an important element in the supernatural elements of the play.
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)