|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Avery's new landlord given to the new church?
2. What advice does Lymon give to Berniece about her relationship with Avery?
3. What does Berniece send Maretha in to do when Boy Willie is telling her stories?
4. The thwarting character emerges from what room to stop the pair from moving the piano?
5. What does Berniece ask Avery to do now that Maretha has seen Sutter's ghost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams prove to be an interesting and important way for characters in the text to receive divine messages. Avery's dream, in particular, is given the most symbolic weight within the story. Explain the symbolism of Avery's dream as it relates to his future and the themes within the play as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Storytelling proves to be one of the most powerful elements of information transfer throughout the play. Choose one story that was told during the course of the play, explain the story's significance, and discuss how this story is an example of the importance of storytelling in the Charles family culture.
Essay Topic 3
Boy Willie and Berniece have an equal claim to the piano in the play. Explain the reason why the siblings have come into possession of the piano. Compare/contrast the way that both of the siblings view the piano's place in their past and their future.
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)