|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives to the final scene late with rope to move the piano?
2. What is the name of Avery's new landlord?
3. When Boy Willie states that he has the power of death, who does he claim to be an equal with?
4. What sound is heard as the pair are attempting to move the piano for the potential buyer?
5. What role will Berniece play in Avery's new church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The text of "The Piano Lesson" is presented as a play rather than straight prose. What reasons do you think August Wilson had to present his story this way? What was gained in the form of stage writing? What was lost?
Essay Topic 2
The railroads of the town are extremely significant throughout the play.
Part 1. Explain the symbolism of a railroad as it pertains to Boy Willie's life.
Part 2. Explain the reasons why the railroad is important in Doaker's life.
Part 3. Explain why the railroad has come to be an important element in the supernatural elements of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Because of the history of slavery within the Charles family, there is another prevalent theme of revenge, since the men in the Charles family desire to steal back what was stolen from them by the Sutters.
Part 1. Briefly describe one scene of revenge within the play.
Part 2. Explain why the Charles family member acting on revenge thought that this would earn them back what was stolen.
Part 3. Explain the outcome of the revengeful act. In your opinion. Was it worth the risk of being caught?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)