|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the family member respond to the sight of Boy Willie and the young woman kissing?
2. Which member of the family comes downstairs to find Boy Willie and the young woman kissing?
3. What does Berniece send Maretha in to do when Boy Willie is telling her stories?
4. Which of the following items does Avery NOT use during his exorcism of the house?
5. Who tells Berniece that Boy Willie is going to be removing the piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many examples of prisons throughout this play, which are figurative, symbolic, and literal. Choose two examples of imprisonments that the characters find themselves in and compare/contrast the impact of the imprisonment in one of the character's lives. Briefly explain what that character does to fight against the various imprisonments in his or her life.
Essay Topic 2
The piano itself is arguably the strongest symbol in the entire play. Explain the history of the piano and briefly discuss why the physical structure of the piano can be seen as a symbol within the Charles family.
Essay Topic 3
The piano itself is arguably the strongest symbol in the entire play, standing in as a symbol for the Charles family as a whole but also for the members of the family as individuals. Choose one member of the Charles family and explain how the piano acts as a unique symbol for that character's storyline. Briefly discuss that character's relationship with the piano as a result of that symbolism.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)