|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Berniece tell Maretha would make the process of combing her hair easier?
2. Boy Willie exhibits what emotion while attempting to move the piano for its potential buyer?
3. What does Boy Willie leave the house to retrieve, hoping that it will help him move the piano?
4. What statement does Boy Willie make about death?
5. What does Avery suggest Berniece start doing to keep herself busy and involved in the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Storytelling proves to be one of the most powerful elements of information transfer throughout the play. Choose one story that was told during the course of the play, explain the story's significance, and discuss how this story is an example of the importance of storytelling in the Charles family culture.
Essay Topic 2
This history of slavery within the Charles family repeats itself throughout the text. Briefly explain the ways that slavery has affected the Charles family in the past, the present, and the future?
Essay Topic 3
Even though there are many characters who have passed away in the play, the living characters seem to believe that they are still able to communicate with the dead. Give two examples of moments within the play that living characters attempt to speak with the dead. Compare / contrast their methods of speaking with the dead and compare / contrast the outcome of their "conversations."
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)