|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boy Willie leave the house to retrieve, hoping that it will help him move the piano?
2. Who does the weapon belong to before Berniece takes it for protection?
3. What does Berniece claim her mother could hear when the piano was played?
4. Who tries to enter the young woman's room while Boy Willie was there?
5. What advice does Berniece give to Maretha as she is combing her hair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The railroads of the town are extremely significant throughout the play.
Part 1. Explain the symbolism of a railroad as it pertains to Boy Willie's life.
Part 2. Explain the reasons why the railroad is important in Doaker's life.
Part 3. Explain why the railroad has come to be an important element in the supernatural elements of the play.
Essay Topic 2
The Charles family spends a lot of time arguing about their family legacy. Choose one instance in which the Charles family attempts to discuss their family history. What object is used as a symbol for their family's legacy? How is that object treated by the family? How does the treatment of the object reflect the family history it will leave behind?
Essay Topic 3
The Ghosts of Yellow Dog are important characters within the recurring theme of revenge.
Part 1. Explain the way that the Ghosts of Yellow Dog came to be.
Part 2. Discuss the way that the Ghosts of Yellow Dog exacted their revenge.
Part 3. Briefly discuss the various ways that the townsfolk viewed the acts that were considered to be the work of the Ghosts of Yellow Dog.
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)