|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character arrives holding a Bible, preparing for the exorcism?
2. What does Avery suggest Berniece start doing to keep herself busy and involved in the church?
3. Who does Avery imply deserved to die?
4. How much money does Boy Willie promise to Berniece for the sale of the piano?
5. Who does Berniece claim blames himself for Boy Charles' death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Cleotha and Crawley are remembered by their mourning spouses throughout the play. Explain how Crawley and Cleotha died and compare/contrast the ways that their spouses keep their memories alive.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of supernatural beings within the Charles home is particularly strong in relation to Sutter's ghost.
Part 1. Give three examples of moments in which one or more members of the Charles family feels the presence of Sutter's spirit in their home.
Part 2. Briefly explain the reasons suggested for Sutter's stalking of the Charles family, and particularly, his spirit's apparent presence within the piano.
Part 3. Explain the various ways that members of the Charles family attempt to get rid of Sutter's spirit.
Essay Topic 3
The title of this play has special significance within the meaning of the play. What do you think is the true "piano lesson," and why do you think August Wilson chose to title his play this way?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)