|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Berniece claim her mother could hear when the piano was played?
2. How does Berniece respond to the unexpected gift from Lymon?
3. While Boy Willie and the young woman are kissing, what is broken, waking up the family?
4. How does the family member respond to the sight of Boy Willie and the young woman kissing?
5. How far does the pair move the piano before their attempts are thwarted?
Essay Topic 1
The women in this play are portrayed as weak in comparison to the men in the play. Choose one female character in the play and give two examples of the ways that they are overpowered by the male characters. Then, discuss the female character's reaction to the overpowering male characters.
Essay Topic 2
Berniece finds herself in many romantic relationships throughout the course of the play. Briefly describe the three romantic relationships that she has and list the positive and negative aspects of each relationship in Berniece's life.
Essay Topic 3
There are many examples of prisons throughout this play, which are figurative, symbolic, and literal. Choose two examples of imprisonments that the characters find themselves in and compare/contrast the impact of the imprisonment in one of the character's lives. Briefly explain what that character does to fight against the various imprisonments in his or her life.
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)