|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character openly discusses his hopes of finding a good job and bettering his life?
2. While Boy Willie and the young woman are kissing, what is broken, waking up the family?
3. Who tries to enter the young woman's room while Boy Willie was there?
4. In what room does Boy Willie convince the young woman to start kissing him?
5. How does Berniece respond to the unexpected gift from Lymon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Storytelling proves to be one of the most powerful elements of information transfer throughout the play. Choose one story that was told during the course of the play, explain the story's significance, and discuss how this story is an example of the importance of storytelling in the Charles family culture.
Essay Topic 2
The title of this play has special significance within the meaning of the play. What do you think is the true "piano lesson," and why do you think August Wilson chose to title his play this way?
Essay Topic 3
The exorcism in the final scene of the play proves to be a powerful symbol for the way that the family has chosen to move forward. Create a list of three things that the exorcism symbolizes in the play. Choose two characters and explain how their roles were pivotal in the success of the final exorcism.
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)