|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to enter the young woman's room while Boy Willie was there?
2. What does Wining Boy do when Boy Willie tries to move him from the piano?
3. Boy Willie thinks that Berniece is teaching Maretha to live where?
4. What weapon does Berniece retrieve to protect herself and her belongings?
5. Who tells Berniece that Boy Willie is going to be removing the piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many examples of prisons throughout this play, which are figurative, symbolic, and literal. Choose two examples of imprisonments that the characters find themselves in and compare/contrast the impact of the imprisonment in one of the character's lives. Briefly explain what that character does to fight against the various imprisonments in his or her life.
Essay Topic 2
This history of slavery within the Charles family repeats itself throughout the text. Briefly explain the ways that slavery has affected the Charles family in the past, the present, and the future?
Essay Topic 3
The piano itself is arguably the strongest symbol in the entire play, standing in as a symbol for the Charles family as a whole but also for the members of the family as individuals. Choose one member of the Charles family and explain how the piano acts as a unique symbol for that character's storyline. Briefly discuss that character's relationship with the piano as a result of that symbolism.
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)