|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sutter kill Boy Charles?
(a) He drowned him.
(b) He set him on fire.
(c) He stabbed him.
(d) He shot him.
2. Boy Willie complains that Lymon is obsessed with what?
3. Who does Doaker suspect Berniece is having a relationship with?
(c) Wining Boy.
4. How much fruit does Lyman and Boy Willie sell on the day that Wining Boy goes to the city?
(a) A little.
(b) They sell none.
(c) They sell every last one.
(d) Nearly all.
5. How did Sutter's wife feel about the trade of her slaves for the piano?
(a) She was angered by the trade.
(b) She was pleased with the trade.
(c) She regretted the trade.
(d) She was apathetic toward the trade.
6. Lymon wants to go to what city, hoping for better treatment from white people?
(c) Washington D.C.
(d) New York.
7. What does Boy Willie hope to buy from Sutter?
(a) His land.
(b) His house.
(c) His piano.
(d) His crops.
8. What type of song does Boy Willie play on the piano?
(a) A beginner's song.
(b) A dreamy lullabye.
(c) A jazzy boogie-woogie.
(d) An advanced jig.
9. What is the first name of the Sutter who owned the Charles family as slaves?
10. What does Doaker do for a living?
(a) He is a conductor.
(b) He is a cook.
(c) He performs maintenance.
(d) He is a steward.
11. What does Boy Willie tell Wining Boy that he wants to purchase?
(a) A new car.
(b) Sutter's land.
(c) A new piano.
(d) More fruit.
12. After meeting a ghost on the railroad tracks, Wining Boy claims that he has had good luck for how long?
(a) Three days.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Thirty days.
13. How much money does Wining Boy ask for as a loan from Doaker?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) Twenty dollars.
14. What is the name of Wining Boy's late ex-wife?
15. Berniece claims she saw what before she left the house on the day that Wining Boy went to the city?
(a) Her father's face.
(b) Sutter's ghost.
(c) Dark shadows dancing.
(d) The ghost of Yellow Dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the group is singing prison songs, which character is asked to play the piano?
2. Boy Willie is trying to sell his fruit in what type of neighborhood?
3. Berniece and her uncle live in which city?
4. Whose death does Berniece accuse Boy Willie of having a hand in?
5. Who does Wining Boy reveal he helped bail out of jail?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)