|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Berniece and her uncle live in which city?
2. What sound is heard by the characters who attempt to move the piano?
3. What does Boy Willie hope to buy from Sutter?
(a) His crops.
(b) His land.
(c) His piano.
(d) His house.
4. The piano is stolen from the Sutter home during which holiday celebration?
(a) Fourth of July.
(c) Memorial Day.
5. Whose death does Berniece accuse Boy Willie of having a hand in?
(b) Mama Ola's.
(d) Uncle Doaker's.
6. How much fruit does Boy Willie tell Avery he can take free of charge?
(d) As much as he wants.
7. Which character admits to being on the run from the police?
(b) Boy Willie.
(d) Uncle Doaker.
8. Which character admits to having spent time in prison?
(b) Boy Willie.
(c) Uncle Doaker.
9. After Lymon comes home from work and changes, what does he want to go into the city looking for?
(b) A new truck.
(c) Another job.
(d) His father.
10. Whose faces are carved into the piano legs at Sutter's request?
(a) His slaves' faces.
(b) His children's faces.
(c) His and his wife's face.
(d) His parents' faces.
11. What does Doaker believe he sees Sutter's ghost doing, which he refuses to tell his sister about?
(a) Playing the piano.
(b) Chasing after Boy Willie.
(c) Following Maretha to school.
(d) Staring at Berniece while she slept.
12. How does Sutter kill Boy Charles?
(a) He stabbed him.
(b) He shot him.
(c) He set him on fire.
(d) He drowned him.
13. Which family traded the piano to the Sutter family for slaves?
(a) The Whitmans.
(b) The Nolanders.
(c) The Benedicts.
(d) The Montagues.
14. How does the Ghost of the Yellow Dog kill the mob members as revenge for Boy Charles' death?
(a) The Ghost drowns them.
(b) The Ghost sets them on fire.
(c) The Ghost stabs them.
(d) The Ghost shoots them.
15. What was Wining Boy's occupation while he was married?
(a) He was a blacksmith.
(b) He was a doctor.
(c) He was a musician.
(d) He was a student.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he returns from the city, what does Wining Boy want to do to relax?
2. Who does Boy Willie expect to teach Maretha about the significance of the piano?
3. When the group is singing prison songs, which character is asked to play the piano?
4. What does Wining Boy carry with him that has a weight as heavy as a piano?
5. What is the name of Berniece's daughter?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)