|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters does Boy Willie NOT ask about the potential buyer of the piano?
2. Lymon wants to go to what city, hoping for better treatment from white people?
(a) New York.
(d) Washington D.C.
3. Which character states that the law of the white man is meaningless, and he has created a new set of laws?
(c) Boy Willie.
(d) Wining Boy.
4. Which character has a change of heart after seeing Sutter's ghost and now believes that the piano should be sold?
(b) Wining Boy.
5. Before the dream in which Avery was told to change his profession, what did he do for a living?
(a) He was an elevator operator.
(b) He was a hotel concierge.
(c) He was a window washer.
(d) He was a traveling chef.
6. What type of song does Maretha play on the piano?
(a) An advanced jig.
(b) A dreamy lullabye.
(c) A beginner's song.
(d) A jazzy boogie-woogie.
7. Who tells Boy Willie the story of the way that Boy Charles was killed?
(c) Wining Boy.
8. Who does Boy Willie expect to teach Maretha about the significance of the piano?
(d) Momma Ola.
9. Which of the following characters is NOT involved in stealing the piano from the Sutter home?
(a) Wining Boy.
(c) Boy Willie.
(d) Boy Charles.
10. Which character is said to have played the carved piano until his/her death?
(b) Sutter's son.
(c) Sutter's wife.
(d) Sutter's mother.
11. What does Boy Willie hope to buy from Sutter?
(a) His crops.
(b) His piano.
(c) His land.
(d) His house.
12. Which character becomes very emotional and attacks Boy Willie upon seeing the piano moved?
13. What does Wining Boy say he felt breezing through the wind on his last trip home?
14. What does Doaker believe he sees Sutter's ghost doing, which he refuses to tell his sister about?
(a) Chasing after Boy Willie.
(b) Staring at Berniece while she slept.
(c) Playing the piano.
(d) Following Maretha to school.
15. Who offers herself to Wining Boy as repayment for helping bail a family member out of jail?
(a) Lymon's sister.
(b) Lymon's cousin.
(c) Lymon's aunt.
(d) Lymon's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which family traded the piano to the Sutter family for slaves?
2. What beverage do the men drink while discussing Parchman Prison?
3. What does Boy Willie encourage Berniece to do to get rid of the ghost?
4. How does Boy Willie react to the story of Boy Charles' death?
5. Boy Willie is trying to sell his fruit in what type of neighborhood?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)