|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is the Old Rugged Cross Church holding?
2. What do Philip and Beth find to drive home on?
3. What kind of vehicle do the Blakes own?
4. What does Beth recall seeing a picture of in the Saturday Evening Post?
5. What member of her family does Beth visit in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Hall's react to Philip and Beth's arrival?
2. What do Philip and Beth do during the quiet period?
3. How does Beth prove her leadership skills in this section?
4. What does Beth realize about Philip and her family at the end of the chapter?
5. How do Beth and and Philip react to the first customer at their fruit and vegetable stand?
6. Why does Beth become angry with her family in this section?
7. How does Beth help Philip to the bottom of the mountain?
8. How does everyone get ready for the town picnic?
9. How does Philip cause a panic in this section?
10. How does Beth try to save her presidency?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Philip react to Beth beating him in everything? What does this say about gender relations?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)