Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beth's mother give away the fact Beth's father has bought the puppy?
2. What is the title of Chapter 3?
3. What does Philip wear while helping to guard the turkeys?
4. What is Calvin Cook's job?
5. What did Beth's father trade for the puppy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Beth and and Philip react to the first customer at their fruit and vegetable stand?
2. In what way does Beth react badly to her new puppy?
3. Why does Reverend Ross think Gorilla Man is on the loose?
4. What problem do Beth and the other girl have with the t-shirts?
5. How do the Hall's react to Philip and Beth's arrival?
6. How does everyone get ready for the town picnic?
7. What does Beth's mother think about Beth's relationship with Philip?
8. How does Eugene try to solve his problems with the turkeys?
9. How does Beth help Philip to the bottom of the mountain?
10. What does the newly painted house symbolize for Beth and her family?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Beth's lifestyle.
1. How does living in such a close-knit community effect Beth's character and the decisions she makes?
2. How do you think her life would different if she lived in the city?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)