|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luther say Beth is not yet old enough to understand?
2. What kind of train derailed five miles from Pocahontas in 1938?
3. Who helps Beth guard the turkeys?
4. What does Philip tell Beth he is going to shoot with his BB gun?
5. What separates the Lambert Pig Farm from the Hall Dairy Farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the missing turkeys such a problem for Beth and her family?
2. Why does Pa think foxes couldn't have eaten his turkeys?
3. How does Beth's life change with the birth of baby Benjamin?
4. How does Eugene try to solve his problems with the turkeys?
5. What does Beth's dream at the beginning of this section represent?
6. How does Philip win back Beth's affections at the end of this section?
7. What does Beth overhear Miss Linwood saying to the sheriff?
8. Why does Philip say he hasn't invited Beth to his party?
9. How and why does Philip try to keep Beth in line?
10. How does Philip react when Philip when he and Gordy meet Beth in the bus queue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what ways are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does Beth prove her leadership skills in this story? What are her strengths and weaknesses as a leader?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Beth's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the she is at the end.
1. What did Beth hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Beth ideas about life?
3. How has Beth's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)