|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beth clean out for Philip?
2. Why does Beth call Philip a silly scout?
3. What is the name of the town's Reverend?
4. What does Beth say she will do to the thieves if they don't stay put?
5. Whose class is Beth in at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What doe Philip and Beth argue about at the meeting?
2. Why does Philip say he hasn't invited Beth to his party?
3. What do Philip and Beth do during the quiet period?
4. What does the newly painted house symbolize for Beth and her family?
5. How does Philip fool Beth at the beginning of this chapter?
6. What decision do the Pretty Pennies and the Tiger Huner's make about the relay race?
7. Why is Beth so disappointed that Philip hasn't invited her to his party?
8. Why does Beth say she has always wanted to beat Philip?
9. Why does Beth become angry with her family in this section?
10. What does the sixth chapter prove about Beth's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Beth prove herself herself to be incredibly brave in this story? How does her bravery effect her life?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Beth's lifestyle.
1. How does living in such a close-knit community effect Beth's character and the decisions she makes?
2. How do you think her life would different if she lived in the city?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)