|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Calvin Cook's job?
2. What kind of puppy does Beth have waiting for her at the beginning of the section?
3. What noise does Beth hear outside her bedroom window?
4. What does Mama want Beth to do instead of thinking about Philip Hall?
5. Who does Beth say has all the answers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship does Beth have with Philip at the beginning of the story?
2. What does Beth dream at the beginning of this section?
3. How and why does Philip try to keep Beth in line?
4. Why is Beth so disappointed that Philip hasn't invited her to his party?
5. How does Philip win back Beth's affections at the end of this section?
6. Why does Philip say he hasn't invited Beth to his party?
7. What argument does Beth have with her brother Luther about pigs?
8. Why does Pa think foxes couldn't have eaten his turkeys?
9. How does Philip react when Philip when he and Gordy meet Beth in the bus queue?
10. Why does Beth decide to get a poodle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Beth's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the she is at the end.
1. What did Beth hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Beth ideas about life?
3. How has Beth's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does the arrival of Beth's brother Benjamin change her life? How does her character change from this point?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)