|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of weapon does Pa have with him when he confronts the thieves?
2. Which of the following is a symptom of Beth's illness?
3. What does Beth say Philip's gun couldn't knock down?
4. What does Luther say Beth is not yet old enough to understand?
5. Who is playing outside with Friendly the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Reverend Ross think Gorilla Man is on the loose?
2. How do Beth's parent help her get over the fact she cannot have a puppy?
3. What does Beth dream at the beginning of this section?
4. How does Beth capture the turkey thieves?
5. What does the newly painted house symbolize for Beth and her family?
6. How does Philip fool Beth at the beginning of this chapter?
7. How does Eugene try to solve his problems with the turkeys?
8. How does Dr. Brennan promise to help Beth?
9. Why does Pa think foxes couldn't have eaten his turkeys?
10. How does Philip win back Beth's affections at the end of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Beth learn about friendship in this story? Why is this such an important lesson to learn?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Philip prove his leadership skills in this story? What are his strengths and weaknesses as a leader?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)