|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tracy call him about, according to what Dexter tells Uncle Willie?
2. What does Tracy envy about Sandy, as she admits in the first part of Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What excuse does Tracy give for not drinking with the other characters in Act 2, Scene 1, Part 2?
4. What is Mike doing as George and Dexter see him on the morning of the wedding?
5. What does Tracy's discovery of Mike's watch remind her of at the end of Act 3, Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main symbol used in The Philadelphia Story is the boat that Dexter previously built for Tracy when they were married.
1) How does Dexter's wedding present introduce the boat into the play? What are the reactions to it from Tracy and other characters? What is interesting about the plans Dexter has for the boat as he describes them to Tracy?
2) What is the significance of the name of the boat and what does it mean to both characters?
3) How does Tracy relate herself with the boat, what are the characteristics that she shares with it, and why are they important to her development?
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, what were the 3 events that impacted Tracy's transformation the most? Describe them in detail, including which characters they involved and why. Also, use the play to explain why you chose those events as the most meaningful.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the connection between Tracy and Dexter and how it developed from the beginning of the play to the conclusion. Why is the ending so effective in illustrating their connection? What does their relationship prove to Tracy and how does it reinforce what she is learning? Has Dexter changed at all during the play in order to reestablish the connection? If so, in what ways? Most importantly, how does their marriage at the end complete Tracy's journey and make her "human?" What does that really mean for her and why is it an important part of her happiness?
This section contains 1,552 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)