|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tracy ask Mike to have as he is leaving for the pre-wedding dinner?
2. How was the boat Dexter built, according to Tracy?
3. How does Tracy react when she learns that Dexter is aware of what happened the night before?
4. What do George and Dexter argue over before Mike returns in the second part of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What does Dexter do with the jewelry when Tracy wonders about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barry uses several key literary elements in The Philadelphia Story to make his point about the upper and lower class lifestyle differences.
1) Describe 2 examples of irony used in the play, why it was used, and how it added to the plot.
2) Describe 2 examples of foreshadowing used in the play, how Barry uses it, and what it added to the story.
3) Describe the pace of the play and how Barry uses dialogue to contribute to the effectiveness of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Tracy and Liz are parallel characters in many ways. What are some examples of how they are placed in similar situations, but respond differently? What issues do they share similar views on? Overall, what is Liz's main purpose in the play? What does she illustrate in Tracy's character, along with Tracy's own actions? Why is this important?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Lord family, their social class, and their priorities. How is their main priority integral to the theme of the play? Which members of the family illustrate it the most and why?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)