|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tracy envy about Sandy, as she admits in the first part of Act 2, Scene 2?
2. Why does Tracy refuse to marry Mike?
3. What is George demanding in the note he sends to Tracy before the wedding?
4. What did Tracy call him about, according to what Dexter tells Uncle Willie?
5. What does Dinah comment on as she looks at the drawing room on the day of the wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barry uses several key literary elements in The Philadelphia Story to make his point about the upper and lower class lifestyle differences.
1) Describe 2 examples of irony used in the play, why it was used, and how it added to the plot.
2) Describe 2 examples of foreshadowing used in the play, how Barry uses it, and what it added to the story.
3) Describe the pace of the play and how Barry uses dialogue to contribute to the effectiveness of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
What does Mike's proposal to Tracy represent in his character? Why is he now in a place where he can make such a decision to help her in this way? How does Tracy respond to Mike's proposal and why is that relevant to the personal growth she is experiencing? What reasoning does Tracy use to justify her answer? What does it say about her character when she chooses to face the apparent humiliation of canceling a wedding rather than do something that would not be good for someone else?
Essay Topic 3
What is Dinah and Tracy's relationship? How is it depicted in the beginning of the play? Describe what Dinah does to cause Tracy to remember the events of the night before with Mike. How does it alert some of the other characters to those events and contribute to the possible doubt of the pending marriage? Why was it necessary to establish Tracy and Dinah's interaction with one another early, and how does it prepare the audience for Dinah's part in revealing the information about Tracy and Mike's evening? Why do you think the author chooses Dinah to be the messenger for this information?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)