|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Willie tell Dinah his opinion of George is?
2. Who did Tracy spend a lot of time talking with at the dinner?
3. What name does Mike call Tracy that she objects to as they talk on her wedding day?
4. Who interrupts Tracy as she is beginning to open Dexter's gift in Act 2, Scene 1, Part 2?
5. What does Tracy notice about Mike that is different as she talks with him in the first part of Act 3?
Essay Topic 1
Tracy uses 2 words in the play that warrant explanations.
1) Describe the word, "yare," what it means, and how it is used.
2) Describe the word, "gyp," what it means, and how it is used.
3) In general, why do you think the author chose Tracy to use these words that are not part of normal vocabulary? What does it add to her character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe 2 examples of how Dexter deliberately stands in George's way and prevents him from doing something. Why does the author choose Dexter to perform this role? In each case, what is significant about Dexter's actions, and what do you think his motivations are for doing them? How does George's character respond and what does that show about his role in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Barry uses several key literary elements in The Philadelphia Story to make his point about the upper and lower class lifestyle differences.
1) Describe 2 examples of irony used in the play, why it was used, and how it added to the plot.
2) Describe 2 examples of foreshadowing used in the play, how Barry uses it, and what it added to the story.
3) Describe the pace of the play and how Barry uses dialogue to contribute to the effectiveness of the characters.
This section contains 1,515 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)