|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tracy ask Mike to have as he is leaving for the pre-wedding dinner?
2. Who interrupts Tracy as she is beginning to open Dexter's gift in Act 2, Scene 1, Part 2?
3. Although he does not agree with her assessment, what does Tracy apologize to Seth for on the day of the wedding?
4. What does Tracy say she feels like as The Philadelphia Story ends?
5. What does Tracy notice about Mike that is different as she talks with him in the first part of Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tracy and Liz are parallel characters in many ways. What are some examples of how they are placed in similar situations, but respond differently? What issues do they share similar views on? Overall, what is Liz's main purpose in the play? What does she illustrate in Tracy's character, along with Tracy's own actions? Why is this important?
Essay Topic 2
Chronicle Sandy's role in the play and what he adds to both the subplot he is involved in as well as the main plot. Also, use examples from the play to answer the following:
1) How does Sandy change during the play? What characters or events influence his change?
2) What does Sandy represent to Tracy and why is that important to the development of her character?
Essay Topic 3
The main symbol used in The Philadelphia Story is the boat that Dexter previously built for Tracy when they were married.
1) How does Dexter's wedding present introduce the boat into the play? What are the reactions to it from Tracy and other characters? What is interesting about the plans Dexter has for the boat as he describes them to Tracy?
2) What is the significance of the name of the boat and what does it mean to both characters?
3) How does Tracy relate herself with the boat, what are the characteristics that she shares with it, and why are they important to her development?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)