|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Willie offer to show Liz as everyone is dressing for dinner?
2. What does Seth tell Margaret he can sense?
3. Which one of Mike's stories does Tracy remark on?
4. How does Dinah introduce herself to Mike and Liz?
5. Where do Sandy's guests work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would Seth's absence from the wedding lead people to believe and how does Sandy plan to prevent it?
2. What two things does Dexter do while Mike is carrying Tracy into the house that depict his feelings for Tracy?
3. What are two examples of the deception manufactured by the Lord family, as it gets more complicated in Act 1, Part 4?
4. How is the demeanor of the Lord family displayed in Act 1, Part 1?
5. How does Dinah present herself for the first time to Mike and Liz, what is she trying to accomplish, and how do Mike and Liz react?
6. How does Tracy appear when first meeting Mike and Liz and what is her intention?
7. Who are the two guests approaching the Lord house at the end of Act 1, Part 2, and why is their purpose for being there ironic?
8. What is the elaborate plan the family invents to preserve their reputation?
9. What do we learn about George in Act 1, Part 2?
10. Which one of Mike's stories does Tracy single out and what does it signify?
Essay Topic 1
Chronicle Sandy's role in the play and what he adds to both the subplot he is involved in as well as the main plot. Also, use examples from the play to answer the following:
1) How does Sandy change during the play? What characters or events influence his change?
2) What does Sandy represent to Tracy and why is that important to the development of her character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe 2 examples of how Dexter deliberately stands in George's way and prevents him from doing something. Why does the author choose Dexter to perform this role? In each case, what is significant about Dexter's actions, and what do you think his motivations are for doing them? How does George's character respond and what does that show about his role in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, what were the 3 events that impacted Tracy's transformation the most? Describe them in detail, including which characters they involved and why. Also, use the play to explain why you chose those events as the most meaningful.
This section contains 2,188 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)