|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Margaret apologize for when first meeting Mike and Liz?
2. What does Sandy confess that he has done with regard to the magazine article about Seth?
3. Where did Dinah get the magazine she is reading in Act 1, Part 1?
4. What are the writer and photographer not aware of?
5. What does Mike ask Sandy about George's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would Seth's absence from the wedding lead people to believe and how does Sandy plan to prevent it?
2. What do the lengths the Lord family is willing to go through say about their priorities?
3. How does Liz explain her feelings for Mike to Sandy, what would make her fight for him, and why does she feel she does not have to?
4. What is significant about the conversation between Mike and Liz at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Part 1?
5. How does Dexter respond to Tracy's criticism of herself for the previous night, and why is it important to the main theme of the play?
6. What is the reason for Seth's arrival and what does he sense in Tracy?
7. What is the first impression of Mike and why is it significant?
8. What does the character of Seth represent as he is first mentioned in the play?
9. How are Tracy's high standards alluded to in the beginning of the play, and why are they important?
10. What important lesson does Tracy say she has learned from Mike as they are at the pool? How does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does George represent the same type of characteristics that Tracy displayed in the beginning of the play? Why is Tracy now able to recognize them? What are the unrealistic expectations George is placing on Tracy? How do they lead to her decision about their wedding plans? What is the author illustrating with George's behavior in the last 2 parts of the play and why is it necessary for Tracy's character as well?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the steps the Lord family takes to correct the situation they are in and why it is significant to Tracy's personal situation. How does it affect her development? Does it make it easier or more difficult? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Tracy uses 2 words in the play that warrant explanations.
1) Describe the word, "yare," what it means, and how it is used.
2) Describe the word, "gyp," what it means, and how it is used.
3) In general, why do you think the author chose Tracy to use these words that are not part of normal vocabulary? What does it add to her character?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)