|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Master Boyle’s advice?
2. What is Gar’s full name?
3. How does Madge defend SB’s silence?
4. Where do the O’Donnells live?
5. What is Gar's mood in the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of private Gar’s observation, “it’s all about to begin. It’s all over” (3)?
2. How does private Gar encourage public Gar in his plans?
3. What is the effect of the imagery, “big bugger of a jet, with its snout pointing straight for the States and its tail belching smoke over Ireland" (3) ?
4. Why does private Gar question public Gar whether the latter understands the implications of his decision to leave?
5. What is Boyle’s gift to Gar as he prepares to leave? What does he ask for?
6. Who makes the decision to tell Katie’s parents about their plan to get married? Do they tell them? Why?
7. Why did Gar not finish college?
8. Does SB discuss public Gar’s plans and Philadelphia on his last night at home?
9. Who is Master Boyle? How is he different from SB?
10. When does private Gar taunt public Gar with memories of Katie and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of SB in terms of his obsession with the shop and his reticence where his son is concerned.
Essay Topic 2
What are the different emotions that are brought out when the past is evoked? Describe in detail the difference in the way the past is viewed by public and private Gar.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on tragicomic features in the play. What is the effect of narrating failures, missed opportunities and missed relationships in a way that is farcical rather than tragic?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)