|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gar’s full name?
2. What is Gar's mood in the beginning of the play?
3. Why is private Gar infuriated by SB’s routine talk about work?
4. What does Boyle mean when he advises Gar to be one hundred percent American?
5. Why does Boyle ask Gar for money?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the action in the play take place?
2. When does Katie marry Francis? How does private Gar console public Gar?
3. What was the age difference between Gar’s mother and father?
4. What is in the suitcase Madge brings in and what is its significance?
5. What is the effect of the imagery, “big bugger of a jet, with its snout pointing straight for the States and its tail belching smoke over Ireland" (3) ?
6. What is Boyle’s gift to Gar as he prepares to leave? What does he ask for?
7. How does Madge interpret SB’s silence as his son plans to leave?
8. Why does private Gar question public Gar whether the latter understands the implications of his decision to leave?
9. How realistic is private Gar’s pretense about public Gar being employed by the owner of the biggest chain of hotels?
10. When does private Gar taunt public Gar with memories of Katie and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of Lizzy and the letter that makes Gar plan on leaving Ireland.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how effective the flashbacks are in the play. Do they recreate the past more vividly than other techniques?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of dream and compare it with the feeble plans Gar makes to make them come true.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)