|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do most people in the group refer to whatever the unknown culprit is?
2. What change does it witness?
3. How many bodies are found in the gallery/crafts shop?
4. What noise draws everyone's attention?
5. What does the local drug dealer reveal?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tal starts to speak in the market, what happens?
2. What happens before the sisters leave the Oxley residence that scares and relieves Jenny at the same time?
3. Where do they discover the housekeeper, Hilda, and what is odd about her?
4. What has become of Fletcher Kale?
5. Who goes to see Dr. Timothy Flyte and why?
6. Why does Deputy Paul Henderson suffer from boredom and how does that change?
7. What causes Frank to lash out at this point?
8. What does the suspect, Fletcher Kale presume during his interrogation, and why?
9. What does Lisa want to do and why does Jennifer disagree?
10. Why does Bryce decide that the group should split up on the way to the Oxley residence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What names does the Ancient Enemy give itself? How does it communicate these names to the group? How does the Ancient Enemy view itself, and what is the direct conflict this creates with its opinion of God and religion in general? What does the Ancient Enemy tell Bryce about his family, and how is it likely to have obtained this personal information about him? Who is the group is deeply affected by the religious connotations involved?
Essay Topic 2
What does Flyte tell the Ancient Enemy when it insists that human beings are merely cattle to it? How does Flyte explain the level of intelligence the creature has managed to evolve with? Why does that anger the Ancient Enemy? What attributes other than intelligence has the Ancient Enemy inadvertently absorbed along with the many people it has consumed to survive? Why is this significant now? What effect does it have on the creature?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Sara Yamaguchi and what are her credentials? What report does she deliver to Bryce and Jennifer after conducting a cursory autopsy of one of the bodies? What answers does this provide them? What does she determine the cause of death of most of the victims is? What other anomaly does she discover and what analogy does she draw to help them understand what she is telling them? What worries her as she is giving her report and what discoveries are made as a result?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)