|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Milo find himself immediately after passing through the tollbooth?
2. In Faintly Macabre's story, what question was posed to the princesses by their brothers?
3. What two words does the marketplace salesman try to sell to Milo?
4. How does Milo display his reason for being in the market?
5. What is written on the first sign Milo encounters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Milo discover about words after having walked around in the Word Market for awhile?
2. Why does Milo decide to buy some words in the Word Market?
3. What three roles does Officer Shrift play after the incident in the Word Market?
4. What is Faintly Macabre's response when Milo says he can't leave the prison for six million years?
5. What happens when the Humbug and Spelling Bee get into a fight?
6. What annoying habit does the Duke of Definition have?
7. What saying does the Earl of Essence use that makes him fall?
8. How does the demon of insecurity describe himself?
9. What is Milo's response when he's told that words grow in the orchards of Dictionopolis?
10. How does his vision problem hamper Alec Bings as he runs through the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Milo returns with Rhyme and Reason, both King Azaz and the Mathemagician say that they knew the quest was impossible, but hadn't told him so. Why do they say they didn't tell him the quest was impossible? Is that reasonable?
Essay Topic 2
What is dissonance? What is a din? How do the definitions of these words impact the imagery of Dr. Dissonance and Dynne?
Essay Topic 3
What kinds of thing does Milo plan to do when he discovers that the tollbooth is gone? Were those things always available for him to do? Why hadn't he discovered them before?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)