|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tock's reaction at the end of the fight between the Spelling Bee and the Humbug?
2. What is the old lady doing in the prison cell?
3. What has to take place before the wagon belonging to the King's cabinet members will move?
4. What is the watchdog's name?
5. What does the floating boy say an elephant would think of a bucket of water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Humbug says the Mathemagician's pencil isn't magic. What is the Mathemagician's answer?
2. Why does Milo decide to buy some words in the Word Market?
3. Explain the .58 boy's example related to money that he says explains why averages are so wonderful.
4. Describe King Azaz the Unabridged.
5. What does Officer Shrift say to those attending the banquet? What does he say to Milo?
6. Why does the Soundkeeper say she collects and stores all sounds?
7. Why do the creatures of the Doldrums say thinking is against the law?
8. What four roles is the man in the cottage pretending to play and why?
9. What is the purpose of the Word Market?
10. What saying does the Earl of Essence use that makes him fall?
Essay Topic 1
What is Milo like before his quest? Compare that to what he is like after the journey. How does this change take place?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Silent Valley and the Soundkeeper's role. What is the Soundkeeper's reaction to the release of the sounds?
Essay Topic 3
When Milo returns with Rhyme and Reason, both King Azaz and the Mathemagician say that they knew the quest was impossible, but hadn't told him so. Why do they say they didn't tell him the quest was impossible? Is that reasonable?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)