|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anakin want to build a star fighter?
2. Why is Watto upset with Anakin?
3. What does his main competition in the race do to stop him?
4. What does Anakin ask Padmy?
5. Why has the Captain of the Queen's cruiser put it into a spin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the Queen's personal cruiser go and how does it avoid being hit by enemy fire?
2. Where do the Jedi go upon leaving the underwater city and what are they using for a vehicle?
3. Why is Anakin racing?
4. What kind of welcome do the three receive in the Gungan city and what does the head man offer?
5. What do the Jedi Knights see in the main hanger that shocks them?
6. What does Anakin find out when he examines the engines of the Podracer and how does Watto usually like to get parts?
7. What does Nute Gunray do when the Jedi Knights come aboard his ship and what is he ordered to do?
8. Who does Qui-Gon encounter when leaving the Federation transport area and what does the creature look like?
9. Why do the Jedi take Jar Jar with them?
10. What happened when Anakin and his friends met an old space pilot? What did he tell them and what did Anakin think?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The key to Anakin Skywalker's character is his sense of himself as different, with abilities that not even he understands, and with large dreams that he sees as certainties rather than possibilities.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think someone with Anakin's feelings about himself would have a difficult time relating to other children his age? Why or why not?
3. What do you think you would do if you had Anakin's abilities? Use examples from your life to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The action of the race is pure thrills - escalating to an exciting finish, using all the "bells and whistles" of the science-fiction form, but actually following in the pulp fiction tradition of macho competitive struggle employed by man and machine.
1. What do you think is meant by pulp fiction tradition of macho competitive struggle?
2. What do you think is the "bells and whistles" of science fiction??
3. Describe a scene in Chapter 13 that would indicate to a read the book was science fiction, even if the description was all a reader saw.
Essay Topic 3
Again Anakin has what seem to be prophetic dreams, but this time the dreams have a foreboding element to them. Anakin sees himself older, in a strange place facing a dimly seen wave that moves toward him, led by Padmy who appears to be older and sad.
1. What do you think this dream means? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Write about a dream you or someone else you know had that seemed to have come true.
3. Do you think dreams mean anything in a person's life? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)