|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Obi-Wan not want Qui-Gon to help Jar Jar?
2. What are two secrets Anakin has kept from Watto?
3. Who is Obi-Wan?
4. What type of structures are most of the buildings in Mos Espa?
5. Why has the Captain of the Queen's cruiser put it into a spin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Jedi Knights see in the main hanger that shocks them?
2. What type of dream does Anakin have the night before the race? How does he leave the dream?
3. What does Jar Jar offer to do and how do they have to get there?
4. Why does Anakin get in a fight with Rodian and what does Qui-Gon say?
5. What does Anakin find out when he examines the engines of the Podracer and how does Watto usually like to get parts?
6. What happens when Padmy, the Jedi and her troops enter the hanger?
7. Who does Anakin meet in the canyon and what does he do?
8. How does Qui-Gon see Jar Jar and how does Obi-Wan feel about it?
9. What would happen if Anakin's Podracer had contact with any solid surface?
10. What conversation do Qui-Gon and Shmi have about Anakin?
Essay Topic 1
Anakin's mother has always known that her son is gifted, but she now exhibits a growing awareness that her son is not only gifted, but also special in a rare way.
1. Why do you think Anakin's mother believes he is very special? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think a parent can see the truth, good or bad, about their child? Why or why not?
3. If you had a gifted child what would you do to encourage that gift?
Essay Topic 2
The action of the race is pure thrills - escalating to an exciting finish, using all the "bells and whistles" of the science-fiction form, but actually following in the pulp fiction tradition of macho competitive struggle employed by man and machine.
1. What do you think is meant by pulp fiction tradition of macho competitive struggle?
2. What do you think is the "bells and whistles" of science fiction??
3. Describe a scene in Chapter 13 that would indicate to a read the book was science fiction, even if the description was all a reader saw.
Essay Topic 3
Yoda probes into the fatal flaw Anakin possesses - his susceptibility to fear. Yoda also crystallizes the reason that a Jedi must be completely free of fear when he proclaims that fear leads to the dark side, to anger and hate, and to suffering.
1. Do you think fear can be a harmful influence in a person's life? Why or why not?
2. Some say fear, not hate, is the opposite of love and that hate is simply the result of fear. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why?
3. It doesn't seem fair that Anakin can have so much going for him and is being judged for having fear, especially considering his age. Do you think Yoda is being petty? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)