|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the two brothers in the battle with the three giants?
2. After Anodos is reborn as a primrose, when the primrose dies, what form does Anodos take?
3. What happens to the white lady after Anodos finishes singing and the white lady wavers between her life form and her stone form?
4. When Anodos walks a corridor that runs the circumference of the halls in the crimson hall, what does he discover?
5. After Anodos leaves the tower and starts off on a new journey through the forest, what is the horse of the knight with the rusty armor pulling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anodos learn from entering the doors in the cottage on the island that helps him accept the love between the knight and the white lady?
2. When Anodos floats in the boat after he has thrown himself off the cliff into the water, what do the images he sees in the water show him?
3. In what way does the woman in the cottage on the island function as Anodos' mother?
4. How will Anodos' battle with the two brothers he met inside the tower against the three giants help Anodos deal with the circumstances surrounding his father and brothers?
5. What is Anodos ignoring about his part in the stories he reads?
6. What does Anodos sense about the meaning of Cosmo's story while he reads it?
7. What is Anodos learning that he needs to do to acquire what he wants in Fairy Land?
8. What desire of Anodos does the knight who leads him to the tower represent?
9. As the knight's squire, what does Anodos feel he must do for the knight when they observe the procession of the men in the white robes?
10. Why is the final time Anodos meets the knight with the rusty armor important to Anodos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbols intensify meaning. Identify one of each from Phantastes--a character, an action, and an object that stand for something greater than itself. Explain the meaning of the symbol and how the symbol affects Anodos. Did the author's use of symbolism add or detract from your understanding of the book? How?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting of Phantastes influence the events of the story? Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the nature of good and evil as it exists in Phantastes. Could good vs.evil be considered a main theme in the story? Why or why not? Were there "good" characters (beings or creatures) who could be considered all good? If so, who were the "good" characters? What makes you think this? Were there "evil" characters (beings or creatures) who could be considered all evil? If so, who were the "evil" characters? What makes you think this?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)