|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anodos end up on a shoreline after the rock walls of the hole close in on him?
2. What does Anodos serve as to the knight in rusty armor as Anodos continues his new journey through the forest?
3. Why can't Anodos go back the way he has come through the hole?
4. Besides the lost love of a woman, what else does Anodos sing about to the two brothers?
5. What happens when the woman in the cottage on the island has to go through a door to find Anodos?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the woman in the cottage on the island function as Anodos' mother?
2. Explain how the Maiden of the Alder appeared to be the same being as the white lady.
3. What is the difference between Anodos' desire to hold the crystal ball belonging to the little girl in the forest in Chapter 9, and his desire to find the music and the dancers in the Fairy Palace?
4. Compare Anodos' experiences in Fairy Land with the experiences of Cosmo, a character in one of his stories.
5. What is Anodos ignoring about his part in the stories he reads?
6. Although little is known about Anodos' family, what speculation can be made about Anodos' father and brothers after Anodos meets the two brothers inside the tower?
7. Why does Anodos throw himself from the cliff into the water after he comes out of the tunnel?
8. What does Anodos learn from entering the doors in the cottage on the island that helps him accept the love between the knight and the white lady?
9. How does Anodos demonstrate immaturity when he touches the white lady on her pedestal?
10. What does Anodos sense about the meaning of Cosmo's story while he reads it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did George MacDonald choose Phantastes for the title of the novel? Why do you think he chose to begin the title with the letters "Ph" rather than "F"? Give examples from the book that explain the title. Do you think the title fits the book? Why or why not? If you could give the book a different title, what would it be? Give reasons for your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Phantastes was written using elements of romanticism. How is Phantastes an example of romanticism in literature? Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What clues or hints did the author provide that helped prepare you for the ending of the story? Did you think these clues were important as you read the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)