|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words are inscribed on the lamp that is surrounded by white marble statues in the crimson hall?
2. How does Anodos react to the white lady after she wavers between her life form and her stone form?
3. What does Anodos hear the girl, who once had the crystal globe, doing while he is in the tower after his dream of home fades?
4. What does Anodos learn when he passes through the door to the present time in the cottage on the island?
5. Where does Cosmo get the mirror?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does moving forward in the abyss represent to Anodos, and what does going back represent?
2. What does Anodos sense about the meaning of Cosmo's story while he reads it?
3. How does Anodos demonstrate immaturity when he touches the white lady on her pedestal?
4. How will Anodos' battle with the two brothers he met inside the tower against the three giants help Anodos deal with the circumstances surrounding his father and brothers?
5. After Anodos is buried by the knight and the white lady, why does Anodos imagine himself reborn in various forms?
6. As Anodos remains in the tower to which the knight has led him, what does Anodos' dream of returning home represent?
7. What causes Anodos and the two brothers to be unprepared for battle when the three giants approach the tower?
8. When Anodos floats in the boat after he has thrown himself off the cliff into the water, what do the images he sees in the water show him?
9. Explain how the Maiden of the Alder appeared to be the same being as the white lady.
10. What desire of Anodos does the knight who leads him to the tower represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anodos is troubled by the persistent presence of his shadow. When Anodos acquires his shadow, the woman in the hut says that the shadow is called something else in Anodos' world. In psychoanalytic theory, personality structure is broken down into three parts: the id, the ego, and the superego. The id is completely unconscious, unorganized, and concerned with instant gratification of instincts and drives. The ego mediates among the id and superego and external world, and is concerned with reality, safety, reason, and common sense. The superego is the conscience; it punishes misbehavior with guilt and morality. Which part of Anodos' personality structure would the shadow be: the id, the ego, or the superego? Give three examples from the story to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Phantastes, the author did not use proper names frequently. Why do you think he wrote in this manner? Did you find it distracting? Why? Choose a combination of five characters, places, and objects from Phantastes and make them proper names. Explain your choices.
Essay Topic 3
How does learning and education play a major part in the novel? Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)