|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Anodos able to find his way to the mainland from the island?
(a) The woman in the cottage gives him directions.
(b) He follows the knight and the white lady.
(c) Something unseen leads him to the mainland.
(d) He follows certain marks.
2. After Anodos is reborn as a primrose, when the primrose dies, what form does Anodos take?
(a) A snowflake.
(b) A rainbow.
(c) A raindrop.
(d) A cloud.
3. What happens when the rock walls of the hole close in around Anodos?
(a) He panics with claustrophobia.
(b) He has to crawl his way through.
(c) He is knocked unconscious.
(d) He somehow is able to remain standing.
4. What does Anodos hear the girl, who once had the crystal globe, doing while he is in the tower after his dream of home fades?
(c) Talking in her sleep.
(d) Reciting love poetry.
5. How does the woman in the cottage on the island help Anodos fall asleep?
(a) She puts a sleeping pill in his tea.
(b) She reads a fairy tale to him.
(c) She sings to him.
(d) She sprinkles him with a magic potion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cosmo get the mirror?
2. After Anodos kills his giant, where does he see the other two giants?
3. How does Anodos react to the white lady after she wavers between her life form and her stone form?
4. After Anodos kills his giant and sees the other two giants, what reappears that troubles Anodos?
5. What does the old woman, who changes into a beautiful woman while Anodos is in the hole, offer him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How will Anodos' battle with the two brothers he met inside the tower against the three giants help Anodos deal with the circumstances surrounding his father and brothers?
2. After Anodos is buried by the knight and the white lady, why does Anodos imagine himself reborn in various forms?
3. What desire of Anodos does the knight who leads him to the tower represent?
4. As the knight's squire, what does Anodos feel he must do for the knight when they observe the procession of the men in the white robes?
5. How does Anodos demonstrate maturity as he attempts to discover the secret to releasing the white lady?
6. What causes Anodos and the two brothers to be unprepared for battle when the three giants approach the tower?
7. How does Anodos show maturity when he and the two brothers prepare to battle the three giants?
8. Explain how the Maiden of the Alder appeared to be the same being as the white lady.
9. In what way does the woman in the cottage on the island function as Anodos' mother?
10. Compare Anodos' experiences in Fairy Land with the experiences of Cosmo, a character in one of his stories.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)