|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Anodos able to find his way to the mainland from the island?
(a) The woman in the cottage gives him directions.
(b) He follows the knight and the white lady.
(c) Something unseen leads him to the mainland.
(d) He follows certain marks.
2. What do the three giants that Anodos and the two brothers have to battle possess as they threaten the country?
(a) A castle.
(b) Impenetrable armor.
(c) A bridge that is their only escape route.
(d) Magic swords.
3. When Anodos investigates the sound of an anvil clanging, what does he discover the two brothers are forging?
(a) Kitchen utensils.
(b) An iron grate.
(c) A sword.
4. On the night Anodos walks the corridor of the crimson hall, what figure does he dream is on a pedestal in the hall?
(a) The little girl with the crystal globe.
(b) Princess Von Hohenweiss.
(c) The white lady.
(d) Cosmo von Wehrstahl.
5. Why does the white lady cry out after Anodos reacts to her when she wavers between her life form and her stone form?
(a) The white lady is letting Anodos know where she is.
(b) Anodos shouldn't have touched her.
(c) The white lady is trying to comfort Anodos.
(d) The white lady has found the way for Anodos to get home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anodos feeling as he thinks about how to make the white lady appear?
2. What happens to the white lady after Anodos finishes singing and the white lady wavers between her life form and her stone form?
3. How does the king react to Anodos when the king finds out the results of the battle with the three giants?
4. Besides the lost love of a woman, what else does Anodos sing about to the two brothers?
5. What has happened to the pedestal of the figure in Anodos' dream when he finds the pedestal the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anodos demonstrate immaturity when he touches the white lady on her pedestal?
2. What is Anodos learning that he needs to do to acquire what he wants in Fairy Land?
3. Why is the final time Anodos meets the knight with the rusty armor important to Anodos?
4. Explain how the Maiden of the Alder appeared to be the same being as the white lady.
5. When Anodos floats in the boat after he has thrown himself off the cliff into the water, what do the images he sees in the water show him?
6. Although little is known about Anodos' family, what speculation can be made about Anodos' father and brothers after Anodos meets the two brothers inside the tower?
7. How will Anodos' battle with the two brothers he met inside the tower against the three giants help Anodos deal with the circumstances surrounding his father and brothers?
8. How does Anodos demonstrate maturity as he attempts to discover the secret to releasing the white lady?
9. In what way does the woman in the cottage on the island function as Anodos' mother?
10. After Anodos imagines himself reborn in various forms, why does he believe he needs to stay alive?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)