|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story Anodos retells about women with wings, while the women have wings for appendages, what do the men have?
2. How does the crystal globe benefit the little girl who carries it?
(a) It gives her something to play with.
(b) It protects her.
(c) It enables her to look into the future.
(d) It helps her make friends.
3. When Anodos feels a chill from the marble lady's touch, what does he believe caused the chill?
(a) The damp cave.
(b) The marble.
(c) Water that dripped on his head.
(d) The cool breeze.
4. How old is Anodos?
(a) 20 years old.
(b) 21 years old.
(c) 22 years old.
(d) 31 years old.
5. What does Anodos notice about the water in the huge basin in which he swims?
(a) The water seems to float above the surface of the basin.
(b) The water disappears when he touches it, but returns when he no longer touches it.
(c) The water is the purest he's ever seen.
(d) The water has a hypnotic fragrance.
6. Why does the small woman visit Anodos?
(a) To reveal a family secret.
(b) To settle a dispute from many years ago.
(c) To grant him a wish.
(d) To give him a family heirloom.
7. When Anodos cannot reach a conclusion about his feelings for the Maiden of the Alder, what does he think about next?
(a) The person who saved him from the Ash tree.
(b) If Fairy Land is real or a dream.
(c) How he is going to get home.
(d) Where the Ash tree is.
8. What causes the growth from Anodos' carpet in his room to move?
(a) A pond ripple.
(b) Ocean waves.
(c) A breeze.
(d) Anodos' feet.
9. Where did the magic come from that created this path for Anodos to follow?
(a) The secretary desk.
(b) The secret room.
(c) The iron gate.
(d) The mysterious box.
10. What does Anodos see when a lightning bolt strikes?
(a) A foot.
(b) A flower.
(c) The Ash.
(d) A face.
11. What happens when the crystal globe explodes as Anodos tries to grab it from the little girl?
(a) A bright light causes the shadow to dissipate.
(b) An intoxicating fragrance immobilizes Anodos.
(c) Shards of glass temporarily blind Anodos.
(d) A black cloud surrounds the little girl.
12. What makes the Ash tree retreat from Anodos?
(a) The sound of an axe.
(b) The magic incantation.
(c) The lightning from a storm.
(d) The flame of a candle.
13. What is peculiar to Anodos about the sounds of the woods?
(a) The sounds are different from any woodland sounds he's ever heard before.
(b) The sounds are deafening.
(c) There aren't any sounds.
(d) The sounds seem to be coming from one place.
14. Who or what speaks to Anodos after the lightning bolt strikes?
(a) A flame.
(b) A ghostly figure.
(c) A flower.
(d) The Ash.
15. After Anodos learns about the inhabitants of the forest, what does he do?
(a) He sets off through the woods.
(b) He finishes the book.
(c) He asks for provisions.
(d) He falls asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman tell Anodos about the Ash tree?
2. How are Anodos' needs met during his stay at the Fairy Palace?
3. What part of Anodos' bed is affected by the environment in his room?
4. What do the keys open that Anodos receives as a birthday gift?
5. When Anodos swims in the basin -- above the water, he is in the basin, but where does he seem to be below the water?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)