|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the small woman call Anodos?
(a) She calls him by her deceased husband's name.
(b) She calls him "son."
(c) She calls him "friend."
(d) She calls him Anodos.
2. When will Anodos make the discovery told to him by the small woman?
(a) The day before his birthday.
(b) Two days after his birthday.
(c) The day after his birthday.
(d) The day of his birthday.
3. What can Anodos sense the presence of, but not see, inside the Fairy Palace?
(a) The shadow.
(b) A higher order of fairies.
(c) The Ash tree.
(d) The goblin-fairies.
4. How does the shadow manage to leave the small windowless hut with Anodos?
(a) It materializes outside the hut as Anodos travels.
(b) It attaches itself to the woman.
(c) It disguises itself as food given to Anodos by the woman.
(d) It attaches itself to Anodos.
5. What does Anodos find when he follows the stream at which he refreshed himself?
(a) A wooden bridge.
(b) A stone bridge.
(c) A raft.
(d) A boat.
6. What is Anodos thinking about when he wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Writing thank-you notes for his birthday gifts.
(b) The events of his birthday.
(c) His class schedule for the day.
(d) A dream he had.
7. Who narrates Phantastes?
(b) Anodos' grandmother.
(c) Someone outside the story.
(d) The secretary of Anodos' father.
8. Why does the knight leave Anodos?
(a) Anodos insults the knight.
(b) The knight must hide when it is dark out.
(c) The shadow touches the knight.
(d) The knight sees a damsel in distress.
9. What does Anodos notice about the animals of the forest?
(a) There aren't any.
(b) They run in terror from Anodos.
(c) They are aggressive and vicious.
(d) They are somewhat friendly.
10. In the story Anodos retells about women with wings, what determines the color of the women's wings?
(a) The location in which the women are born.
(b) The color of their parents' wings.
(c) The season in which the women are born.
(d) The year in which the women are born.
11. Through what does the path continue after the forest?
(a) A rock.
(b) A maze.
(c) A hedge.
(d) A waterfall.
12. What conclusion does Anodos come to about the relationship of the young girl to the woman chopping vegetables?
(a) The young girl is the woman's niece.
(b) The young girl is the woman's sister.
(c) The young girl is the woman's granddaughter.
(d) The young girl is the woman's daughter.
13. What does Anodos read about in the book that was covering the window?
(d) Birds and insects.
14. What does Anodos notice about the water in the huge basin in which he swims?
(a) The water has a hypnotic fragrance.
(b) The water seems to float above the surface of the basin.
(c) The water disappears when he touches it, but returns when he no longer touches it.
(d) The water is the purest he's ever seen.
15. What unusual environment does Anodos see in his room?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Anodos leaves the old woman, what does he see around the flowers?
2. What is Anodos doing as he looks around his room at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. What covers the opening to the path?
4. As Anodos travels through Fairy Land what happens to the shadow?
5. According to the woman Anodos meets at the farmhouse, what does he have in common with other men who have passed by the farmhouse as they leave the forest?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)