|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Anodos awakens the morning after he sleeps in a room identical to his room at home, what does he hope to discover as he explores the Fairy Palace?
(a) Someone to talk to.
(b) The secret library.
(c) How to get home.
(d) How to get rid of the shadow.
2. What thought comforts Anodos when he worries the Ash may be searching for him?
(a) The young girl told him the magic words to defend himself against the Ash.
(b) The young girl told him that the Ash is dying.
(c) The young girl told him that the Ash fell over.
(d) The young girl told him that the Ash took a path away from him.
3. In relation to the day Anodos celebrated his birthday, on what day does the story begin?
(a) Two days after his birthday.
(b) The day after his birthday.
(c) The day of his birthday.
(d) The day before his birthday.
4. According to the woman Anodos meets at the farmhouse, what does he have in common with other men who have passed by the farmhouse as they leave the forest?
(a) They all were saved by the same person.
(b) They all worried about how to get home.
(c) They all have had the same experience with the Maiden of the Alder.
(d) They all wondered about the reality of Fairy Land.
5. What happens when the crystal globe explodes as Anodos tries to grab it from the little girl?
(a) An intoxicating fragrance immobilizes Anodos.
(b) A black cloud surrounds the little girl.
(c) A bright light causes the shadow to dissipate.
(d) Shards of glass temporarily blind Anodos.
6. In the story Anodos retells about women with wings, how do babies come into existence?
(a) Fairies bring them to the women.
(b) The same way as on Earth.
(c) They are found by wandering maidens.
(d) The men carry and bear the babies.
7. What does Anodos do as he moves through the forest after seeing the flowers?
(a) He collects plants and herbs.
(b) He talks to the mystical creatures following him.
(c) He watches what is happening around him.
(d) He sings to himself.
8. How does the conversation with the woman's husband at the farmhouse affect Anodos?
(a) Anodos doubts the reality of Fairy Land.
(b) Anodos realizes he must find the Maiden of the Alder.
(c) Anodos is convinced Fairy Land exists.
(d) Anodos realizes how homesick he is.
9. What does Anodos see when a lightning bolt strikes?
(a) The Ash.
(b) A foot.
(c) A flower.
(d) A face.
10. What is peculiar to Anodos about the sounds of the woods?
(a) The sounds seem to be coming from one place.
(b) The sounds are different from any woodland sounds he's ever heard before.
(c) The sounds are deafening.
(d) There aren't any sounds.
11. What must Anodos climb at the edge of the forest?
(a) A rocky hill.
(b) A gigantic tree.
(c) A bamboo ladder.
(d) A rope constructed of vines.
12. Who narrates Phantastes?
(a) The secretary of Anodos' father.
(b) Anodos' grandmother.
(d) Someone outside the story.
13. After Anodos learns about the inhabitants of the forest, what does he do?
(a) He finishes the book.
(b) He sets off through the woods.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He asks for provisions.
14. What does the stone maiden do when Anodos awakens her?
(a) Thanks him profusely.
(b) Stretches, yawns, and begins to cry.
(c) Glides away from him.
(d) Silently embraces him.
15. What does Anodos read about in the book that was covering the window?
(a) Birds and insects.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wraps around Anodos as he is spoken to?
2. What does the woman tell Anodos about the Ash tree?
3. What is the true form of the marble lady?
4. What are the humans doing that Anodos sees as he continues his journey?
5. What does Anodos notice about the animals of the forest?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)