|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say the soul readily identifies?
2. What kind of inspiration does Apollo provide?
3. What does Socrates say good writing will be able to do?
4. What kind of inspiration provided by the gods is the best according to Socrates?
5. What kind of feelings does Socrates say true beauty can inspire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
2. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
3. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
4. What is the only thing that can ease the pain of a soul overcome by desire, according to Socrates?
5. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
6. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
7. What does Socrates say is the best way to arrange a good speech?
8. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
9. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
10. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Socrates claim the verbal word is more powerful than the written word, and what is Phaedrus's response to this idea?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of relationship does Phaedras have with Lysias, and what effect does this have on his encounter with Socrates?
Essay Topic 3
What are Phaedrus's ideas about persuasion, and how does Socrates respond to them?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)