|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is persuasion according to Phaedras?
2. What do the Muses use to inspire humans?
3. What is another word for the conclusion of a speech?
4. What does Socrates say all desires lead to if allowed?
5. According to Socrates, where do souls learn to deal with their love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
2. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
3. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
4. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
5. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
6. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
7. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
8. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
9. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
10. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Socrates think the role of the gods were in daily life, and how did this shape his life?
Essay Topic 2
What does Socrates say is the most prudent form of relationship, and what are his main points supporting that belief?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)