|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about pleasures does Socrates say men need to recognize?
2. What kind of inspiration does Dionysus provide?
3. What were the bugs who used to be human doing when they died?
4. What remains when desire becomes pain?
5. What does Socrates say calms a soul overcome by desire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
2. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
3. What does Socrates say is the best way to arrange a good speech?
4. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
5. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
6. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
7. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
8. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
9. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
10. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Socrates say is the most prudent form of relationship, and what are his main points supporting that belief?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Socrates feel the need to give two different speeches, and what does this reveal about his personality?
Essay Topic 3
What are Phaedrus's ideas about persuasion, and how does Socrates respond to them?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)