|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates always hope the hearers of his speeches will form?
2. What is the most important element of speech for rhetoricians?
3. What kind of function does Socrates consider the analytical methods to have?
4. What kind of inspiration does Dionysus provide?
5. What does Phaedras say competition allows people to become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phaedras say must happen in order for an opinion to be formed?
2. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
3. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
4. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
5. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
6. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
7. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
8. What is the synthesis method of analyzing speeches?
9. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
10. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Plato presents his morals and ideas in the form of a conversational setting. Why does he choose to do this, and how does this affect his message?
Essay Topic 3
What does Socrates say is the most prudent form of relationship, and what are his main points supporting that belief?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)