|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Muses use to inspire humans?
2. What does Socrates say can lose an entire audience of a good speech?
3. What kind of inspiration does Apollo provide?
4. What is a choice Socrates says men make every day?
5. What does Socrates say will help a soul forget bad things?
Short Essay Questions
1. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
2. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
3. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
4. What is the only thing that can ease the pain of a soul overcome by desire, according to Socrates?
5. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
6. What does Socrates say about the black chariot horse in his love analogy?
7. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
8. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
9. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
10. What does Phaedras say must happen in order for an opinion to be formed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Thamus feel about the written word, and how does this idea shape the progress of his nation?
Essay Topic 2
What did Socrates think the role of the gods were in daily life, and how did this shape his life?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select two characters and write about their main motivation and how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)