|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is involved in the synthesis method of analysis?
2. What is the most important element of speech for rhetoricians?
3. What does Socrates say the best speeches evoke?
4. What is another word for the conclusion of a speech?
5. What does Phaedras say makes something debatable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
2. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
3. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
4. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
5. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
6. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
7. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
8. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
9. What does Socrates say is the best way to arrange a good speech?
10. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of beauty is prevalent in this book. Who aere the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow beauty to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
What is the analogy of the chariot, and how does this idea shape the life and personality of Socrates?
Essay Topic 3
What did Socrates think the role of the gods were in daily life, and how did this shape his life?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)