|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedras say competition allows people to become?
2. What kind of feelings does Socrates say true beauty can inspire?
3. What is another word for the conclusion of a speech?
4. How many kinds of inspiration do the gods provide?
5. What is persuasion according to Phaedras?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
2. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
3. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
4. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
5. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
6. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
7. What does Socrates say about the black chariot horse in his love analogy?
8. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
9. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
10. What does Phaedras say must happen in order for an opinion to be formed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Lysias is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)