|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is persuasion according to Phaedras?
2. What do the Muses use to inspire humans?
3. What kind of inspiration does Apollo provide?
4. What is another word for the conclusion of a speech?
5. What does Phaedras say persuasion often does NOT require?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
2. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
3. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
4. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
5. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
6. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
7. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
8. What is the only thing that can ease the pain of a soul overcome by desire, according to Socrates?
9. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
10. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Phaedrus's ideas about persuasion, and how does Socrates respond to them?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of relationship does Phaedras have with Lysias, and what effect does this have on his encounter with Socrates?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)