|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, where do souls learn to deal with their love?
2. What does Socrates thinks madness frees men from?
3. What does Socrates say those who recognize pure beauty will enjoy?
4. What does Socrates say rhetoric must have to be considered art?
5. What does Phaedras say a man must know about before delivering a good speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
2. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
3. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
4. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
5. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
6. What does Socrates say about the black chariot horse in his love analogy?
7. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
8. What does Socrates say is the best way to arrange a good speech?
9. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
10. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Socrates, what are the four sources of inspiration, and what are some key examples of each of them?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Socrates claim the verbal word is more powerful than the written word, and what is Phaedrus's response to this idea?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)