|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedras say writers consider themselves above?
2. According to Socrates, where do souls learn to deal with their love?
3. How many kinds of inspiration do the gods provide?
4. What does Socrates say about white chariot horses?
5. What does Socrates say the image of eternal beauty does to the black horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
2. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
3. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
4. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
5. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
6. What does Socrates say about the black chariot horse in his love analogy?
7. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
8. What does Socrates say is the best way to arrange a good speech?
9. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
10. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What does Socrates say is the most prudent form of relationship, and what are his main points supporting that belief?
Essay Topic 3
What are Phaedrus's ideas about persuasion, and how does Socrates respond to them?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)