|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedras think is most important to consider when writing a speech?
2. What does Socrates say are equally important for preparing to deliver a good speech?
3. What does Socrates thinks madness frees men from?
4. What does Socrates say pure beauty will always involve?
5. What does Socrates say the gods use to inspire humans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
2. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
3. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
4. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
5. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
6. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
7. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
8. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
9. What does Phaedras say must happen in order for an opinion to be formed?
10. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Socrates think the role of the gods were in daily life, and how did this shape his life?
Essay Topic 2
According to Socrates, what are the four sources of inspiration, and what are some key examples of each of them?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select two characters and write about their main motivation and how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)