|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedras say writing encourages among writers?
2. What does Socrates say is a common attribute among slaves?
3. According to Socrates, where do souls learn to deal with their love?
4. What is the first elemental part of a good rhetoric speech?
5. What does Socrates say can lose an entire audience of a good speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
2. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
3. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
4. What is the only thing that can ease the pain of a soul overcome by desire, according to Socrates?
5. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
6. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
7. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
8. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
9. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
10. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What are the different ideas given about love and relationships, and how do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 3
According to Socrates, what are the four sources of inspiration, and what are some key examples of each of them?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)