|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedras say persuasion often does NOT require?
2. What is the most important element of speech for rhetoricians?
3. What will most men look for in a mate according to Socrates?
4. What does Socrates say all desires lead to if allowed?
5. What knowledge does Socrates say helped him become a good speech writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
2. What does Socrates say about the black chariot horse in his love analogy?
3. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
4. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
5. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
6. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
7. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
8. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
9. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
10. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the different ideas given about love and relationships, and how do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 2
What did Socrates think the role of the gods were in daily life, and how did this shape his life?
Essay Topic 3
What are Phaedrus's ideas about persuasion, and how does Socrates respond to them?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)