|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say men usually engage in?
2. What does Socrates say writing must be in order to be honorable?
3. What is a choice Socrates says men make every day?
4. What two things does Socrates say pleasures can be?
5. What does Phaedras say writers consider themselves above?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
2. What does Socrates say is the best way to arrange a good speech?
3. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
4. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
5. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
6. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
7. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
8. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
9. What is the synthesis method of analyzing speeches?
10. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the different ideas given about love and relationships, and how do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 2
What does Socrates say is the most prudent form of relationship, and what are his main points supporting that belief?
Essay Topic 3
Plato presents his morals and ideas in the form of a conversational setting. Why does he choose to do this, and how does this affect his message?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)