|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of inspiration does Apollo provide?
2. What knowledge does Socrates say helped him become a good speech writer?
3. What does Socrates say the image of eternal beauty does to the black horse?
4. What do souls in a perfect state not know?
5. How many kinds of inspiration do the gods provide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
2. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
3. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
4. What does Phaedras say must happen in order for an opinion to be formed?
5. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
6. What does Socrates say is the best way to arrange a good speech?
7. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
8. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
9. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
10. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Phaedrus changes a lot from the beginning of the book to the end. Please compare and contrast Phaedrus's character at the beginning of the book to Phaedrus's character at the end of the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the analogy of the chariot, and how does this idea shape the life and personality of Socrates?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of relationship does Phaedras have with Lysias, and what effect does this have on his encounter with Socrates?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)