|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say the black horse of the chariot represents?
2. What kind of function does Socrates consider the analytical methods to have?
3. What does Phaedras say a man must know about before delivering a good speech?
4. Which god gets violent when in love?
5. What does Socrates say the soul readily identifies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
2. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
3. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
4. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
5. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
6. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
7. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
8. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
9. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
10. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Socrates, what are the four sources of inspiration, and what are some key examples of each of them?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
What does Socrates say is the most prudent form of relationship, and what are his main points supporting that belief?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)