|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phaedras full of after hearing Socrates's second speech?
2. What kind of inspiration does Dionysus provide?
3. What does pure beauty inspire the growth of?
4. What does Phaedras say persuasion often does NOT require?
5. What does Socrates say will help a soul forget bad things?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phaedras say must happen in order for an opinion to be formed?
2. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
3. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
4. What does Socrates say is the best way to arrange a good speech?
5. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
6. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
7. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
8. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
9. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
10. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Thamus feel about the written word, and how does this idea shape the progress of his nation?
Essay Topic 2
What did Socrates think the role of the gods were in daily life, and how did this shape his life?
Essay Topic 3
Phaedrus changes a lot from the beginning of the book to the end. Please compare and contrast Phaedrus's character at the beginning of the book to Phaedrus's character at the end of the book.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)