|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does pure beauty inspire the growth of?
2. What does Phaedras say writing does differently than other professions?
3. What kind of inspiration does Aphrodite provide?
4. What does Socrates say souls will retain in different lives?
5. What kind of particles is beauty able to move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
2. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
3. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
4. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
5. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
6. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
7. What does Socrates say about the black chariot horse in his love analogy?
8. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
9. What does Socrates say is the best way to arrange a good speech?
10. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plato presents his morals and ideas in the form of a conversational setting. Why does he choose to do this, and how does this affect his message?
Essay Topic 2
Lysias is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What does Socrates say is the most prudent form of relationship, and what are his main points supporting that belief?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)