|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedras think is most important to consider when writing a speech?
2. What is a choice Socrates says men make every day?
3. What does Socrates say the soul retains in its next life?
4. What two things does Socrates say pleasures can be?
5. What remains when desire becomes pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
2. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
3. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
4. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
5. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
6. What is the synthesis method of analyzing speeches?
7. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
8. What does Socrates say is the best way to arrange a good speech?
9. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
10. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Phaedrus changes a lot from the beginning of the book to the end. Please compare and contrast Phaedrus's character at the beginning of the book to Phaedrus's character at the end of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Lysias is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What does Socrates say is the most prudent form of relationship, and what are his main points supporting that belief?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)