|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say the image of eternal beauty does to the black horse?
2. What does Socrates say about white chariot horses?
3. What does Socrates thinks madness frees men from?
4. What does Socrates say make the bodies of gods perfect?
5. Which god gets violent when in love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
2. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
3. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
4. What does Phaedras say must happen in order for an opinion to be formed?
5. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
6. What is the only thing that can ease the pain of a soul overcome by desire, according to Socrates?
7. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
8. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
9. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
10. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Socrates feel the need to give two different speeches, and what does this reveal about his personality?
Essay Topic 2
According to Socrates, what are some of the main attributes needed for a good quality speech, and how did these shape his career as a philosopher?
Essay Topic 3
According to Socrates, what are the four sources of inspiration, and what are some key examples of each of them?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)