|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say souls will retain in different lives?
2. What does Socrates say men usually engage in?
3. What is a choice Socrates says men make every day?
4. What does Phaedras say is a common attribute among writers?
5. What does Socrates say writing must be in order to be honorable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
2. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
3. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
4. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
5. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
6. What is the only thing that can ease the pain of a soul overcome by desire, according to Socrates?
7. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
8. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
9. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
10. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Socrates, what are some of the main attributes needed for a good quality speech, and how did these shape his career as a philosopher?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of relationship does Phaedras have with Lysias, and what effect does this have on his encounter with Socrates?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)