|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say about insanity in his second speech?
2. What does Socrates say one must do when dealing with a subject in a speech?
3. What does Socrates say lies in desire?
4. What does Socrates say leads to isolation in loving relationships?
5. What does Phaedras promise to do if Socrates can change his mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
2. What does Socrates say about the nature of the soul?
3. What does Socrates say a man must love to come close to the gods, and why?
4. Who is Boreas?
5. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
6. What is Lysisas's speech about?
7. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
8. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
9. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
10. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of relationship does Phaedras have with Lysias, and what effect does this have on his encounter with Socrates?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Socrates claim the verbal word is more powerful than the written word, and what is Phaedrus's response to this idea?
Essay Topic 3
According to Socrates, what are the four sources of inspiration, and what are some key examples of each of them?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)