|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
2. Where does Socrates say men get most of their education from?
3. What choice in relationships does Socrates say would benefit society?
4. What does Phaedras threaten Socrates with?
5. How does Socrates feel about Lysias's statement about prudent relationships?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
2. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
3. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
4. Why does Socrates say some men are seen as mad when they are not?
5. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
6. What does Socrates say souls are striving for, and why?
7. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
8. What is Lysisas's speech about?
9. Who is Boreas?
10. What does Socrates say happens when two lovers live together for an extended period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the different ideas given about love and relationships, and how do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 2
What are Phaedrus's ideas about persuasion, and how does Socrates respond to them?
Essay Topic 3
According to Socrates, what are some of the main attributes needed for a good quality speech, and how did these shape his career as a philosopher?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)