|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
2. What is Phaedras most concerned about with the speech he reads to Socrates?
3. What does Socrates say his obligation as an orator is?
4. Who is the man at the beginning of Socrates's speech in love with?
5. What is Lysias's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say is the defining feature of gods are?
2. What does Socrates say about the nature of the soul?
3. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
4. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
5. What does Socrates compare the form of the soul to at the beginning of his second speech?
6. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
7. What does Socrates compare most loving relationships to?
8. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
9. Why does Socrates say some men are seen as mad when they are not?
10. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
What are the different ideas given about love and relationships, and how do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 3
Lysias is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)