|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's discussion about relationships?
2. Why does Socrates say some people seem unsound of mind when they are in love?
3. What kind of art was well liked in Socrates's time?
4. What does Phaedras threaten Socrates with?
5. Which of the following does Socrates say mania can deliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say is the defining feature of gods are?
2. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
3. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
4. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
5. What does Lysias say is the main disadvantage of a relationship between lovers?
6. What happens when muses involve themselves in madness, according to Socrates?
7. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
8. What does Socrates say happens when two lovers live together for an extended period?
9. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
10. What does Socrates say souls are striving for, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lysias is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Socrates claim the verbal word is more powerful than the written word, and what is Phaedrus's response to this idea?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)