|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Socrates and Phaedras talk about when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
2. What subject does Socrates say is the most pertinent?
3. What kind of things does Socrates say lovers will do to slow down their partner?
4. What does Phaedras think Socrates needs to add to his speech?
5. Who is the man at the beginning of Socrates's speech in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lysias say is the main disadvantage of a relationship between lovers?
2. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
3. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
4. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
5. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
6. What does Socrates say will happen when writing is approached with intelligence?
7. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
8. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
9. What does Lysais say are the main benefits in the kind of relationship Lysias has with Phaedras?
10. What does Phaedras say is the danger in love overcoming emotion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select two characters and write about their main motivation and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
What does Socrates say is the most prudent form of relationship, and what are his main points supporting that belief?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)