|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say is addicting at the plane tree by the river?
2. What is Phaedras most concerned about with the speech he reads to Socrates?
3. What is Acumenus's occupation?
4. How does Socrates feel about Lysias's statement about prudent relationships?
5. What does Socrates think is different about people in the city from people in the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lysias say is the main disadvantage of a relationship between lovers?
2. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
3. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
4. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
5. What is Lysisas's speech about?
6. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
7. What does Socrates say is the defining feature of gods are?
8. What does Lysais say are the main benefits in the kind of relationship Lysias has with Phaedras?
9. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
10. What does Socrates compare most loving relationships to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lysias is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Phaedrus changes a lot from the beginning of the book to the end. Please compare and contrast Phaedrus's character at the beginning of the book to Phaedrus's character at the end of the book.
Essay Topic 3
What does Socrates say is the most prudent form of relationship, and what are his main points supporting that belief?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)