|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates view the expression Lysias's speech?
2. What does Lysias say will be present in a prudent relationship?
3. What is more worthwhile to Socrates than opinions?
4. What does Phaedras doubt he can do while walking with Socrates?
5. How did Socrates describe the Delphic women's accomplishments?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
2. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
3. What does Lysais say are the main benefits in the kind of relationship Lysias has with Phaedras?
4. What does Socrates say is the defining feature of gods are?
5. What does Phaedras say is the danger in love overcoming emotion?
6. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
7. How does Socrates begin his speech to Phaedras?
8. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
9. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
10. What does Socrates compare the form of the soul to at the beginning of his second speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select two characters and write about their main motivation and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of beauty is prevalent in this book. Who aere the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow beauty to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of relationship does Phaedras have with Lysias, and what effect does this have on his encounter with Socrates?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)