|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
2. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
3. What does Socrates say must be arranged correctly in a good speech?
4. What does Socrates say is addicting at the plane tree by the river?
5. Where does Socrates say men get most of their education from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
2. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
3. What is Lysisas's speech about?
4. What does Socrates say souls are striving for, and why?
5. What does Socrates compare the form of the soul to at the beginning of his second speech?
6. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
7. What happens when muses involve themselves in madness, according to Socrates?
8. What does Socrates say about the nature of the soul?
9. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
10. What does Phaedras say is the danger in love overcoming emotion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Socrates claim the verbal word is more powerful than the written word, and what is Phaedrus's response to this idea?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
According to Socrates, what are some of the main attributes needed for a good quality speech, and how did these shape his career as a philosopher?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)