|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say lies in desire?
2. What compels Socrates to give a speech of his own?
3. What does Socrates think is different about people in the city from people in the country?
4. How does Socrates say Phaedras delivered the speech?
5. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates compare the form of the soul to at the beginning of his second speech?
2. Who is Boreas?
3. What happens when muses involve themselves in madness, according to Socrates?
4. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
5. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
6. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
7. What does Socrates say about the nature of the soul?
8. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
9. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
10. How does Socrates begin his speech to Phaedras?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the different ideas given about love and relationships, and how do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of beauty is prevalent in this book. Who aere the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow beauty to change their lives?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)