|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Socrates describe the Delphic women's accomplishments?
2. What does Socrates call the force of an uncontrolled desire for love?
3. What does Lysias say the most rewarding relationship consists of?
4. What is the temple by the stream of Illissus built in honor of?
5. What kind of art was well liked in Socrates's time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phaedras say is the danger in love overcoming emotion?
2. What does Socrates say is the defining feature of gods are?
3. What does Socrates compare most loving relationships to?
4. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
5. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
6. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
7. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
8. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
9. What does Lysais say are the main benefits in the kind of relationship Lysias has with Phaedras?
10. What does Socrates say happens when two lovers live together for an extended period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Socrates claim the verbal word is more powerful than the written word, and what is Phaedrus's response to this idea?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)