|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lysias visit with Epicrates?
2. What does Lysias say lovers regret?
3. What is the Delphic motto?
4. How does Socrates feel about Lysias's statement about prudent relationships?
5. What does Lysias say will be present in a prudent relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
2. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
3. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
4. What does Phaedras say is the danger in love overcoming emotion?
5. What does Socrates say souls are striving for, and why?
6. How does Socrates begin his speech to Phaedras?
7. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
8. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
9. What is the only thing that can ease the pain of a soul overcome by desire, according to Socrates?
10. What does Lysias say is the main disadvantage of a relationship between lovers?
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select two characters and write about their main motivation and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Socrates claim the verbal word is more powerful than the written word, and what is Phaedrus's response to this idea?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)