|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedras promise to do if Socrates can change his mind?
2. What does Socrates say brings lovers the most satisfaction in their relationships?
3. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds like?
4. Why does Socrates not want to take Phaedras's advice about his speech?
5. How did Socrates describe the Delphic women's accomplishments?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about the nature of the soul?
2. What does Socrates say a man must love to come close to the gods, and why?
3. What does Socrates compare most loving relationships to?
4. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
5. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
6. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
7. What does Socrates say is the defining feature of gods are?
8. What does Lysais say are the main benefits in the kind of relationship Lysias has with Phaedras?
9. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
10. How does Socrates begin his speech to Phaedras?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Socrates claim the verbal word is more powerful than the written word, and what is Phaedrus's response to this idea?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)