|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates think people need to have sympathy towards?
2. What compels Socrates to give a speech of his own?
3. What does Lysias say lovers regret?
4. What is Socrates embarrassed about when he begins his speech to Phaedras?
5. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about the nature of the soul?
2. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
3. Why does Socrates say some men are seen as mad when they are not?
4. What does Socrates say about Courtesans in his speech to Phaedras?
5. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
6. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
7. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
8. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
9. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
10. What is Lysisas's speech about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Socrates think the role of the gods were in daily life, and how did this shape his life?
Essay Topic 2
According to Socrates, what are some of the main attributes needed for a good quality speech, and how did these shape his career as a philosopher?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)