|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say his obligation as an orator is?
2. What is the Recantation?
3. What does Phaedras threaten Socrates with?
4. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Socrates say about stories with little factual information?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
2. How does Socrates begin his speech to Phaedras?
3. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
4. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
5. What does Socrates say about Courtesans in his speech to Phaedras?
6. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
7. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
8. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
9. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
10. What is Lysisas's speech about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Socrates feel the need to give two different speeches, and what does this reveal about his personality?
Essay Topic 3
What did Socrates think the role of the gods were in daily life, and how did this shape his life?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)