|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedras think Socrates needs to add to his speech?
2. How would gods make love divine?
3. What does Phedras want from Socrates when he threatens him?
4. What does Socrates say he is addicted to at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Phaedras promise to do if Socrates can change his mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say a man must love to come close to the gods, and why?
2. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
3. What does Socrates say is the defining feature of gods are?
4. Who is Boreas?
5. What does Socrates compare the form of the soul to at the beginning of his second speech?
6. Why does Socrates say some men are seen as mad when they are not?
7. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
8. What does Lysais say are the main benefits in the kind of relationship Lysias has with Phaedras?
9. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
10. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Socrates feel the need to give two different speeches, and what does this reveal about his personality?
Essay Topic 2
According to Socrates, what are the four sources of inspiration, and what are some key examples of each of them?
Essay Topic 3
Plato presents his morals and ideas in the form of a conversational setting. Why does he choose to do this, and how does this affect his message?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)