|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made good predictions when insane?
2. What do Socrates and Phaedras walk by while talking at the beginning of the book?
3. What is another name for the Delphic women?
4. How does Phaedras feel when Socrates starts to explain how to arrange a good speech?
5. What does Phedras want from Socrates when he threatens him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates compare the form of the soul to at the beginning of his second speech?
2. What does Socrates say a man must love to come close to the gods, and why?
3. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
4. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
5. Who is Boreas?
6. Why does Socrates say some men are seen as mad when they are not?
7. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
8. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
9. What does Socrates say is the defining feature of gods are?
10. What does Socrates say about the nature of the soul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of relationship does Phaedras have with Lysias, and what effect does this have on his encounter with Socrates?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of beauty is prevalent in this book. Who aere the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow beauty to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)