|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would gods make love divine?
2. What does Socrates say love is deprived of at the end of his speech?
3. What does lack of control in desires lead to according to Socrates?
4. What does Socrates say brings lovers the most satisfaction in their relationships?
5. Why did Socrates realize he made the speech to Phadras?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
2. What does Socrates say about the nature of the soul?
3. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
4. What does Phaedras say must happen in order for an opinion to be formed?
5. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
6. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
7. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
8. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
9. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
10. What happens when muses involve themselves in madness, according to Socrates?
Essay Topic 1
According to Socrates, what are some of the main attributes needed for a good quality speech, and how did these shape his career as a philosopher?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Socrates claim the verbal word is more powerful than the written word, and what is Phaedrus's response to this idea?
Essay Topic 3
How does Thamus feel about the written word, and how does this idea shape the progress of his nation?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)