|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Socrates describe the Delphic women's accomplishments?
2. Who does Socrates say inspired his second speech?
3. What disability did Stesichorus have?
4. What does Socrates want in a place to hear the speech?
5. What does Socrates say those in love care most about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when muses involve themselves in madness, according to Socrates?
2. What does Phaedras say is the danger in love overcoming emotion?
3. Who is Boreas?
4. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
5. What does Socrates say about Courtesans in his speech to Phaedras?
6. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
7. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
8. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
9. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
10. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Socrates feel the need to give two different speeches, and what does this reveal about his personality?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)