|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is more worthwhile to Socrates than opinions?
2. How does Socrates feel about Eros?
3. What does Lysias say the most rewarding relationship consists of?
4. What does Socrates define in his speech to Phaedras?
5. What does Phaedras think about repetition in speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lysias say is the main disadvantage of a relationship between lovers?
2. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
3. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
4. What does Lysais say are the main benefits in the kind of relationship Lysias has with Phaedras?
5. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
6. Who is Boreas?
7. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
8. What does Socrates say a man must love to come close to the gods, and why?
9. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
10. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plato presents his morals and ideas in the form of a conversational setting. Why does he choose to do this, and how does this affect his message?
Essay Topic 2
According to Socrates, what are the four sources of inspiration, and what are some key examples of each of them?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)