|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Socrates say men get most of their education from?
2. What does Socrates say guides our actions?
3. What does Socrates say must be arranged correctly in a good speech?
4. What do Socrates and Phaedras talk about when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Socrates say guides desire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
2. What does Socrates compare the form of the soul to at the beginning of his second speech?
3. What is Lysisas's speech about?
4. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
5. What does Socrates say about Courtesans in his speech to Phaedras?
6. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
7. How does Socrates begin his speech to Phaedras?
8. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
9. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
10. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Socrates feel the need to give two different speeches, and what does this reveal about his personality?
Essay Topic 2
What is the analogy of the chariot, and how does this idea shape the life and personality of Socrates?
Essay Topic 3
What did Socrates think the role of the gods were in daily life, and how did this shape his life?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)