|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
2. What trait does Socrates say most lovers want to see in their partners?
3. What does Phaedras think about repetition in speech?
4. What does Lysias say lovers regret?
5. What is Acumenus's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about Courtesans in his speech to Phaedras?
2. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
3. What does Phaedras say is the danger in love overcoming emotion?
4. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
5. How does Socrates begin his speech to Phaedras?
6. What does Socrates compare the form of the soul to at the beginning of his second speech?
7. What does Socrates compare most loving relationships to?
8. What does Lysias say is the main disadvantage of a relationship between lovers?
9. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
10. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Socrates think the role of the gods were in daily life, and how did this shape his life?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of relationship does Phaedras have with Lysias, and what effect does this have on his encounter with Socrates?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)