|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lysias visit with Epicrates?
2. What kind of art was well liked in Socrates's time?
3. How does Phaedras feel when Socrates starts to explain how to arrange a good speech?
4. What topic did Lysias discuss with Phaedras before writing his speech?
5. What must be linked in order for someone to predict the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
2. What does Lysias say is the main disadvantage of a relationship between lovers?
3. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
4. What does Socrates say is the defining feature of gods are?
5. What does Socrates say a man must love to come close to the gods, and why?
6. Who is Boreas?
7. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
8. What does Socrates say souls are striving for, and why?
9. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
10. What is Lysisas's speech about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of beauty is prevalent in this book. Who aere the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow beauty to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
How does Thamus feel about the written word, and how does this idea shape the progress of his nation?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)