|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for the Delphic women?
2. How does Phaedras feel when Socrates starts to explain how to arrange a good speech?
3. What does Socrates say those in love care most about?
4. What topic did Lysias discuss with Phaedras before writing his speech?
5. What does Socrates say wrong speeches can lead to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
2. What does Socrates say about Courtesans in his speech to Phaedras?
3. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
4. What does Tisias say must be involved in artistic writing?
5. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
6. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
7. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
8. What happens to people who gain things from what they read, according to Tisias?
9. What does Socrates say about the black chariot horse in his love analogy?
10. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Phaedrus's ideas about persuasion, and how does Socrates respond to them?
Essay Topic 2
According to Socrates, what are the four sources of inspiration, and what are some key examples of each of them?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of beauty is prevalent in this book. Who aere the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow beauty to change their lives?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)