|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates think is different about people in the city from people in the country?
2. What is the Delphic motto?
3. What does Socrates want in a place to hear the speech?
4. What kind of relationship does Phaedras think is superior?
5. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
2. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
3. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
4. Why does Socrates say some men are seen as mad when they are not?
5. What does Lysias say is the main disadvantage of a relationship between lovers?
6. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
7. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
8. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
9. What is Lysisas's speech about?
10. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Socrates say is the most prudent form of relationship, and what are his main points supporting that belief?
Essay Topic 2
What are the different ideas given about love and relationships, and how do they differ from each other?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Socrates claim the verbal word is more powerful than the written word, and what is Phaedrus's response to this idea?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)