|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of things does Socrates say lovers will do to slow down their partner?
2. What does Socrates say about stories with little factual information?
3. Why does Socrates not want to take Phaedras's advice about his speech?
4. What does Socrates say his obligation as an orator is?
5. What compels Socrates to give a speech of his own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
2. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
3. What does Socrates say is the defining feature of gods are?
4. What happens when muses involve themselves in madness, according to Socrates?
5. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
6. What does Socrates say about Courtesans in his speech to Phaedras?
7. What does Socrates say about the nature of the soul?
8. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
9. What does Socrates compare most loving relationships to?
10. What does Socrates say a man must love to come close to the gods, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
According to Socrates, what are the four sources of inspiration, and what are some key examples of each of them?
Essay Topic 3
What does Socrates say is the most prudent form of relationship, and what are his main points supporting that belief?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)