|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
2. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's discussion about relationships?
3. What does Socrates say leads to isolation in loving relationships?
4. What does lack of control in desires lead to according to Socrates?
5. Which of the following does Socrates say mania can deliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
2. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
3. What does Socrates say about Courtesans in his speech to Phaedras?
4. What does Socrates compare most loving relationships to?
5. What happens when muses involve themselves in madness, according to Socrates?
6. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
7. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
8. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
9. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
10. What does Phaedras say is the danger in love overcoming emotion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of relationship does Phaedras have with Lysias, and what effect does this have on his encounter with Socrates?
Essay Topic 3
Plato presents his morals and ideas in the form of a conversational setting. Why does he choose to do this, and how does this affect his message?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)