|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates think the only reason to make a speech should be?
2. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
3. What does Phaedras promise to do if Socrates can change his mind?
4. How would gods make love divine?
5. Which of the following does Socrates say mania can deliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
2. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
3. What is Lysisas's speech about?
4. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
5. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
6. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
7. What does Socrates say happens when two lovers live together for an extended period?
8. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
9. What does Socrates say souls are striving for, and why?
10. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Socrates feel the need to give two different speeches, and what does this reveal about his personality?
Essay Topic 2
According to Socrates, what are some of the main attributes needed for a good quality speech, and how did these shape his career as a philosopher?
Essay Topic 3
What are the different ideas given about love and relationships, and how do they differ from each other?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)