|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say are equally important for preparing to deliver a good speech?
(a) Appreciation and pride.
(b) Understanding and practice.
(c) Knowledge and tone.
(d) Confidence and truth.
2. What kind of inspiration provided by the gods is the best according to Socrates?
3. What does Phaedras say makes something debatable?
(a) It can cause contention.
(b) It is always changing.
(c) It is not fully revealed.
(d) It can be seen in two different ways.
4. What knowledge does Socrates say helped him become a good speech writer?
(a) The nature of the mind.
(b) The truth of all things.
(c) The response of audiences.
(d) The worth of language.
5. What does Phaedras say competition allows people to become?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does a soul overcome by desire become frantic?
2. What does Socrates say the soul retains in its next life?
3. What does Phaedras say writing does differently than other professions?
4. What is another word for the conclusion of a speech?
5. What do the Muses use to inspire humans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
2. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
3. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
4. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
5. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
6. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
7. What does Socrates say about the black chariot horse in his love analogy?
8. What is the only thing that can ease the pain of a soul overcome by desire, according to Socrates?
9. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
10. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)