|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of inspiration does Dionysus provide?
2. What does pure beauty inspire the growth of?
3. Which speech does Phaedras think is the superior one?
(a) Lysias's speech.
(b) Socrates's second speech.
(c) Socrates's first speech.
(d) Phaedras's speech.
4. What does Socrates say is a common attribute among slaves?
5. What do rhetoricians use to change the appearance of matters?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which god gets violent when in love?
2. What do souls in a perfect state not know?
3. What kind of particles is beauty able to move?
4. What does Socrates say it is better to engage in than sleep?
5. What does Phaedras say competition allows people to become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
2. What does Socrates say about the black chariot horse in his love analogy?
3. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
4. What is the only thing that can ease the pain of a soul overcome by desire, according to Socrates?
5. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
6. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
7. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
8. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
9. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
10. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)