|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Phaedras use to describe the affect of writing?
(a) All of these.
2. What does Phaedras say a man must know about before delivering a good speech?
(a) Certain things.
(b) The truth.
(c) All of these.
(d) Uncertain things.
3. What remains when desire becomes pain?
(a) The memory of beauty.
(b) Future desires.
(c) Past happiness.
(d) The pleasure of pain.
4. What kind of inspiration provided by the gods is the best according to Socrates?
5. What god has the most royal features about them?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does pure beauty inspire the growth of?
2. What must a man have a knowledge of in order to give any speech according to Socrates?
3. What is involved in the synthesis method of analysis?
4. What does Socrates say souls will retain in different lives?
5. What kind of bug does Socrates say used to be human?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say is the best way to arrange a good speech?
2. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
3. What does Socrates say about the black chariot horse in his love analogy?
4. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
5. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
6. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
7. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
8. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
9. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
10. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)