|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will most men look for in a mate according to Socrates?
(a) Someone who resembles themself.
(b) Someone who they have a bond with.
(c) Someone who calms them.
(d) Someone who is beautiful.
2. What does Socrates say are equally important for preparing to deliver a good speech?
(a) Knowledge and tone.
(b) Understanding and practice.
(c) Appreciation and pride.
(d) Confidence and truth.
3. What does Phaedras say makes something debatable?
(a) It can be seen in two different ways.
(b) It can cause contention.
(c) It is not fully revealed.
(d) It is always changing.
4. What does Phaedras say writing does differently than other professions?
5. What does Socrates say souls will retain in different lives?
(a) Their association with the gods.
(b) Their feelings of pain.
(c) Their bonds with lovers.
(d) Their memories of happiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say rhetoric must have to be considered art?
2. What two things does Socrates say pleasures can be?
3. What does Socrates say men usually engage in?
4. What god has the most royal features about them?
5. What does Socrates say is the most important tool in the outline of a speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only thing that can ease the pain of a soul overcome by desire, according to Socrates?
2. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
3. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
4. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
5. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
6. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
7. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
8. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
9. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
10. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)