|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of particles is beauty able to move?
(a) The particles of passion.
(b) The particles of wisdom.
(c) The particles of love.
(d) The particles of desire.
2. What does Socrates say the gods use to inspire humans?
3. What remains when desire becomes pain?
(a) The pleasure of pain.
(b) Future desires.
(c) The memory of beauty.
(d) Past happiness.
4. What knowledge does Socrates say helped him become a good speech writer?
(a) The truth of all things.
(b) The response of audiences.
(c) The worth of language.
(d) The nature of the mind.
5. What does Phaedras say writing encourages among writers?
(b) High regard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedras say makes something debatable?
2. What were the bugs who used to be human doing when they died?
3. What does Socrates say about white chariot horses?
4. What does Socrates say make the bodies of gods perfect?
5. What do the Muses use to inspire humans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
2. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
3. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
4. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
5. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
6. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
7. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
8. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
9. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
10. What is the synthesis method of analyzing speeches?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)