|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Phaedras say writing does differently than other professions?
2. What does Socrates say about white chariot horses?
(a) They are unpredictable.
(b) They are noble.
(c) They are prideful.
(d) They are dangerous.
3. What remains when desire becomes pain?
(a) Future desires.
(b) The memory of beauty.
(c) The pleasure of pain.
(d) Past happiness.
4. What about pleasures does Socrates say men need to recognize?
(a) The affect of them on other people.
(b) The manner in which they come about.
(c) The advantages and disadvantages.
(d) The good and bad causes.
5. What knowledge does Socrates say helped him become a good speech writer?
(a) The truth of all things.
(b) The nature of the mind.
(c) The response of audiences.
(d) The worth of language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Muses use to inspire humans?
2. What is involved in the synthesis method of analysis?
3. What does Socrates say pure beauty will always involve?
4. What must a man have a knowledge of in order to give any speech according to Socrates?
5. What does Phaedras say is a common attribute among writers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about the black chariot horse in his love analogy?
2. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
3. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
4. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
5. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
6. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
7. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
8. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
9. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
10. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)