|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say about white chariot horses?
(a) They are prideful.
(b) They are dangerous.
(c) They are noble.
(d) They are unpredictable.
2. When does a soul overcome by desire become frantic?
(a) At night.
(b) When waking.
(c) During the day.
(d) When sleeping.
3. What is the most important element of speech for rhetoricians?
4. What kind of function does Socrates consider the analytical methods to have?
5. What is involved in the combination method of analysis?
(a) A comparison.
(b) A division of parts.
(c) All of these.
(d) A pro and con aspect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedras say a man must know about before delivering a good speech?
2. What does Phaedras say is a common attribute among writers?
3. What does Phaedras say writing does differently than other professions?
4. What is Phaedras full of after hearing Socrates's second speech?
5. What is another word for the conclusion of a speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
2. What does Phaedras say must happen in order for an opinion to be formed?
3. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
4. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
5. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
6. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
7. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
8. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
9. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
10. What is the synthesis method of analyzing speeches?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)