|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of inspiration does Dionysus provide?
2. What is persuasion according to Phaedras?
(a) The appearance of truth.
(b) The need for followers.
(c) The need for change.
(d) The dressing of the truth.
3. What is another word for the conclusion of a speech?
4. What does Socrates say the image of eternal beauty does to the black horse?
(a) Scares it.
(b) Motivates it.
(c) Adores it.
(d) Elevates it.
5. What do souls in a perfect state not know?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most important element of speech for rhetoricians?
2. What does Phaedras say a man must know about before delivering a good speech?
3. Who wrote about duplicate expression?
4. What does Phaedras say writing does differently than other professions?
5. What does Socrates say is the most important tool in the outline of a speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
2. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
3. What is the synthesis method of analyzing speeches?
4. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
5. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
6. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
7. What does Phaedras say must happen in order for an opinion to be formed?
8. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
9. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
10. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)