|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things does Socrates say pleasures can be?
(a) Happy and sad.
(b) Active and inactive.
(c) Appropriate and inappropriate.
(d) Constructive and deconstructive.
2. What is the most important element of speech for rhetoricians?
3. What kind of inspiration provided by the gods is the best according to Socrates?
4. What knowledge does Socrates say helped him become a good speech writer?
(a) The truth of all things.
(b) The response of audiences.
(c) The worth of language.
(d) The nature of the mind.
5. What is involved in the combination method of analysis?
(a) A division of parts.
(b) All of these.
(c) A comparison.
(d) A pro and con aspect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of inspiration does Aphrodite provide?
2. What does Socrates say the best speeches evoke?
3. What is another word for the conclusion of a speech?
4. What did Thrasymachus write about in his speeches?
5. What does Socrates say the gods use to inspire humans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
2. What does Socrates say will happen if a speech writer skips over some of the important steps of writing an effective speech?
3. What does Phaedras say must happen in order for an opinion to be formed?
4. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
5. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
6. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
7. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
8. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
9. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
10. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)