|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which speech does Phaedras think is the superior one?
(a) Socrates's second speech.
(b) Lysias's speech.
(c) Phaedras's speech.
(d) Socrates's first speech.
2. What does Phaedras say is a common attribute among writers?
3. What does Socrates say are equally important for preparing to deliver a good speech?
(a) Appreciation and pride.
(b) Understanding and practice.
(c) Knowledge and tone.
(d) Confidence and truth.
4. What does Socrates say can lose an entire audience of a good speech?
(a) The tone.
(b) The language.
(c) The theme.
(d) The length.
5. What do souls in a perfect state not know?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another word for the conclusion of a speech?
2. What does Socrates say pure beauty will always involve?
3. What kind of inspiration provided by the gods is the best according to Socrates?
4. What does Socrates say the black horse of the chariot represents?
5. According to Socrates, where do souls learn to deal with their love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
2. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
3. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
4. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
5. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
6. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
7. What is the synthesis method of analyzing speeches?
8. Who was Pericles, and how did he become a good speaker?
9. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
10. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)