|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say writing must be in order to be honorable?
(a) Prepared and researched.
(b) Endowed with good qulaities.
(c) Well cited.
(d) Presented in an appropriate manner.
2. What do rhetoricians use to change the appearance of matters?
3. When does a soul overcome by desire become frantic?
(a) During the day.
(b) At night.
(c) When sleeping.
(d) When waking.
4. What does Socrates say are equally important for preparing to deliver a good speech?
(a) Confidence and truth.
(b) Appreciation and pride.
(c) Understanding and practice.
(d) Knowledge and tone.
5. What does Socrates say good writing will be able to do?
(a) Lead the reader.
(b) Teach the reader.
(c) Confuse the reader.
(d) Engage the reader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote about duplicate expression?
2. What is the most important element of speech for rhetoricians?
3. What does Socrates say calms a soul overcome by desire?
4. What does Phaedras say a man must know about before delivering a good speech?
5. What does Phaedras think is most important to consider when writing a speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
2. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
3. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
4. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
5. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
6. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
7. What does Socrates say about the black chariot horse in his love analogy?
8. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
9. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
10. What is the synthesis method of analyzing speeches?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)