|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say rhetoric must have to be considered art?
2. What does Phaedras say writing does differently than other professions?
3. According to Socrates, where do souls learn to deal with their love?
(a) By following their instincts.
(b) By following their associated gods.
(c) By using their impulses.
(d) By watching their parents.
4. What will most men look for in a mate according to Socrates?
(a) Someone who is beautiful.
(b) Someone who calms them.
(c) Someone who resembles themself.
(d) Someone who they have a bond with.
5. What do souls in a perfect state not know?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say men usually engage in?
2. What does Socrates say make the bodies of gods perfect?
3. When does a soul overcome by desire become frantic?
4. What does Socrates say the gods use to inspire humans?
5. What kind of inspiration does Dionysus provide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say is the best way to arrange a good speech?
2. What is the only thing that can ease the pain of a soul overcome by desire, according to Socrates?
3. What does Socrates say a man must know in order to deceive others?
4. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
5. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
6. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
7. What does Phaedras say must happen in order for an opinion to be formed?
8. What is the synthesis method of analyzing speeches?
9. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
10. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)