|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of inspiration does Dionysus provide?
2. What does Socrates say are equally important for preparing to deliver a good speech?
(a) Knowledge and tone.
(b) Appreciation and pride.
(c) Confidence and truth.
(d) Understanding and practice.
3. What does Socrates say good writing will be able to do?
(a) Teach the reader.
(b) Engage the reader.
(c) Lead the reader.
(d) Confuse the reader.
4. What does Socrates say can lose an entire audience of a good speech?
(a) The tone.
(b) The language.
(c) The theme.
(d) The length.
5. What will most men look for in a mate according to Socrates?
(a) Someone who resembles themself.
(b) Someone who calms them.
(c) Someone who is beautiful.
(d) Someone who they have a bond with.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedras say makes something debatable?
2. What does Socrates say men usually engage in?
3. What does Socrates say happens to lovers who restrain desire?
4. What does Socrates always hope the hearers of his speeches will form?
5. What is involved in the combination method of analysis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
2. What is the synthesis method of analyzing speeches?
3. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
4. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
5. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
6. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
7. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
8. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
9. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
10. What does Socrates say is the best way to arrange a good speech?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)