|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say good writing will be able to do?
(a) Teach the reader.
(b) Lead the reader.
(c) Confuse the reader.
(d) Engage the reader.
2. What kind of inspiration does Dionysus provide?
3. What will most men look for in a mate according to Socrates?
(a) Someone who calms them.
(b) Someone who is beautiful.
(c) Someone who resembles themself.
(d) Someone who they have a bond with.
4. What does Socrates say the gods use to inspire humans?
5. What remains when desire becomes pain?
(a) The memory of beauty.
(b) The pleasure of pain.
(c) Past happiness.
(d) Future desires.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say the black horse of the chariot represents?
2. What does Phaedras say writing encourages among writers?
3. What does Phaedras say a man must know about before delivering a good speech?
4. What do the Muses use to inspire humans?
5. What kind of bug does Socrates say used to be human?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
2. What are the four kinds of divine inspiration, and where do they come from?
3. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
4. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
5. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
6. What should a speech writer do to make his arguments effective, according to Socrates?
7. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
8. What does Socrates say about the black chariot horse in his love analogy?
9. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
10. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)