|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is involved in the combination method of analysis?
(a) All of these.
(b) A division of parts.
(c) A pro and con aspect.
(d) A comparison.
2. What kind of particles is beauty able to move?
(a) The particles of passion.
(b) The particles of love.
(c) The particles of wisdom.
(d) The particles of desire.
3. What is persuasion according to Phaedras?
(a) The need for followers.
(b) The need for change.
(c) The appearance of truth.
(d) The dressing of the truth.
4. What does Socrates say it is better to engage in than sleep?
5. What does Socrates say will help a soul forget bad things?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Phaedras use to describe the affect of writing?
2. What kind of feelings does Socrates say true beauty can inspire?
3. What does Socrates say the image of eternal beauty does to the black horse?
4. What does Socrates say happens to lovers who restrain desire?
5. What do rhetoricians use to change the appearance of matters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
2. What does Socrates say about the white chariot horse in his love analogy?
3. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
4. What does Phaedras say rhetoric is designed for?
5. What does Phaedras say a man must do if he wants to make something appear differently?
6. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
7. What does Socrates say was missing from Lysias's speech that made it less than art?
8. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
9. How does Socrates say the chariot master must treat the black horse?
10. What is the synthesis method of analyzing speeches?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)