|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What topic did Lysias discuss with Phaedras before writing his speech?
2. What does Socrates say love is deprived of at the end of his speech?
(b) All of these.
3. What does Socrates say guides desire?
(a) Happiness and torture.
(b) Nature and heredity.
(c) Reason and emotion.
(d) Stability and progress.
4. How does Socrates feel about Eros?
(a) He hates him.
(b) He loves him.
(c) He respects him.
(d) He fears him.
5. What does Socrates say wrong speeches can lead to?
(d) Wrong actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phaedras most concerned about with the speech he reads to Socrates?
2. What does Socrates say he is addicted to at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Phaedras think about repetition in speech?
4. What does Lysias say the most rewarding relationship consists of?
5. Where does Socrates say men get most of their education from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say souls are striving for, and why?
2. What does Socrates say a man must love to come close to the gods, and why?
3. What does Socrates compare most loving relationships to?
4. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
5. Who is Boreas?
6. What is Lysisas's speech about?
7. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
8. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
9. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
10. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)