|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does lack of control in desires lead to according to Socrates?
2. How does Phaedras feel when Socrates starts to explain how to arrange a good speech?
3. How did Stesichorus receive his disability?
(a) He offended the gods.
(b) He was caught in a horrible storm.
(c) He was punished for a crime.
(d) He ignored the truth in his poems.
4. What must be linked in order for someone to predict the future?
(a) The perfect and divine.
(b) The needs and the wants.
(c) The future and the past.
(d) The truth and the past.
5. What is the Recantation?
(a) A poem.
(b) A prayer.
(c) A book.
(d) A song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lysias say the most rewarding relationship consists of?
2. What does Socrates define in his speech to Phaedras?
3. What does Socrates say leads to isolation in loving relationships?
4. What does Socrates call the force of an uncontrolled desire for love?
5. What does Socrates say about insanity in his second speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
2. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
3. What does Lysias say is the main disadvantage of a relationship between lovers?
4. What does Socrates say souls are striving for, and why?
5. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
6. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
7. Why does Socrates say some men are seen as mad when they are not?
8. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
9. What does Socrates compare the form of the soul to at the beginning of his second speech?
10. What does Socrates compare most loving relationships to?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)