|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Phaedras think about repetition in speech?
(a) All of these
(b) It is beneficial.
(c) It is common.
(d) It is necessary.
2. What does Socrates say causes passion between lovers?
3. What does Socrates say is addicting at the plane tree by the river?
(a) The beauty.
(b) The peace.
(c) The sounds.
(d) The fragrance.
4. What does Phaedras promise to do if Socrates can change his mind?
(a) Convince Lysias.
(b) Spread the word.
(c) End his relationship.
(d) Write his own speech.
5. What becomes contradictory if one is not well versed in a subject of a speech according to Socrates?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of things does Socrates say lovers will do to slow down their partner?
2. What does Socrates say guides desire?
3. Why does Socrates say some people seem unsound of mind when they are in love?
4. What does Lysias say the most rewarding relationship consists of?
5. How does Socrates say Phaedras delivered the speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lysisas's speech about?
2. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
3. What happens when muses involve themselves in madness, according to Socrates?
4. Why does Socrates say some men are seen as mad when they are not?
5. What does Socrates compare the form of the soul to at the beginning of his second speech?
6. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
7. What does Socrates say a man must love to come close to the gods, and why?
8. What does Socrates say about the nature of the soul?
9. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
10. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)