|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Socrates feel about Eros?
(a) He hates him.
(b) He loves him.
(c) He fears him.
(d) He respects him.
2. What does Socrates say he is addicted to at the beginning of the book?
(a) Engaging discussions.
(c) Hearing new ideas.
3. What does Socrates say about stories with little factual information?
(a) They are full of symbols.
(b) They can't be trusted.
(c) They are just as needed as others.
(d) They are hard to realize.
4. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
(a) Redeeming the dead.
(b) Creating a future.
(c) Striving for perfection.
(d) Annointing the past.
5. How did Stesichorus receive his disability?
(a) He ignored the truth in his poems.
(b) He was punished for a crime.
(c) He was caught in a horrible storm.
(d) He offended the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say people overcome by the desire to love spend their time doing?
2. What does Socrates think is different about people in the city from people in the country?
3. Who is Eros's mother?
4. What does Phaedras doubt he can do while walking with Socrates?
5. What kind of relationship does Phaedras think is superior?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socrates say some men are seen as mad when they are not?
2. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
3. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
4. What does Lysais say are the main benefits in the kind of relationship Lysias has with Phaedras?
5. Who is Boreas?
6. What does Lysias say is the main disadvantage of a relationship between lovers?
7. What does Socrates say happens when two lovers live together for an extended period?
8. What does Socrates say about Courtesans in his speech to Phaedras?
9. What does Socrates say souls are striving for, and why?
10. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)