|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Socrates embarrassed about when he begins his speech to Phaedras?
(a) None of these.
(b) Competing with Lysias.
(c) Discussing a sensitive subject.
(d) Revealing information about himself.
2. What does Socrates say about stories with little factual information?
(a) They are hard to realize.
(b) They are just as needed as others.
(c) They are full of symbols.
(d) They can't be trusted.
3. Why does Socrates not want to take Phaedras's advice about his speech?
(a) It would be hard for him.
(b) It would offend people.
(c) It would be too long.
(d) It would be redundant.
4. What subject does Socrates say is the most pertinent?
(a) Study of language.
(b) Study of history.
(c) Study of oneself.
(d) Study in agriculture.
5. What is Acumenus's occupation?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Socrates say men get most of their education from?
2. How did Socrates describe the Delphic women's accomplishments?
3. What compels Socrates to give a speech of his own?
4. What does Socrates say wrong speeches can lead to?
5. What does Socrates say one must do when dealing with a subject in a speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
2. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
3. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
4. What does Socrates say competition allows humans to do?
5. What does Socrates say those who have loved will receive, even if they lead less rewarding lives?
6. What does Socrates say will happen when writing is approached with intelligence?
7. What does Socrates say evil men can't recognize?
8. What does Phaedras say is a common trait among writers, and why?
9. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
10. What does Socrates say happens when two lovers live together for an extended period?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)