|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say people overcome by the desire to love spend their time doing?
(a) Pleasing themselves.
(b) Pleasing the one they love.
(c) Fulfilling personal gratification.
(d) Feeding sexual desires.
2. What does Socrates say guides desire?
(a) Nature and heredity.
(b) Happiness and torture.
(c) Stability and progress.
(d) Reason and emotion.
3. How does Socrates view the expression Lysias's speech?
4. What does Socrates like most about the speech read by Phaedras?
(a) The feeling.
(b) The subject.
(c) The language.
(d) The form.
5. What does Phaedras doubt he can do while walking with Socrates?
(a) Give proper credit to Lysias.
(b) Give a good speech.
(c) Present the right ideas.
(d) Change Socrates's mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lysias's occupation?
2. What disability did Stesichorus have?
3. What does Socrates say his obligation as an orator is?
4. What must be linked in order for someone to predict the future?
5. Where did Lysias visit with Epicrates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
2. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
3. What happens when muses involve themselves in madness, according to Socrates?
4. Why does Socrates say some men are seen as mad when they are not?
5. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
6. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
7. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
8. What is Lysisas's speech about?
9. What does Socrates say a man must love to come close to the gods, and why?
10. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)