|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates think people need to have sympathy towards?
(b) The elderly.
(c) All of these.
(d) The uneducated.
2. What is the temple by the stream of Illissus built in honor of?
(a) The Star Maker.
(b) The Gatherer.
(c) The Virgin.
(d) The Huntress.
3. What does Socrates say about insanity in his second speech?
(a) It is natural.
(b) It is god-like.
(c) It is pleasant.
(d) It is common.
4. What does Socrates say guides desire?
(a) Reason and emotion.
(b) Nature and heredity.
(c) Stability and progress.
(d) Happiness and torture.
5. What kind of relationship does Phaedras think is superior?
(a) Loving relationships.
(b) Homosexual relationships.
(c) Moderated relationships.
(d) Non-loving relationships.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say his obligation as an orator is?
2. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
3. What does Socrates say those in love care most about?
4. What does Socrates define in his speech to Phaedras?
5. What is the Recantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
2. What happens when muses involve themselves in madness, according to Socrates?
3. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
4. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
5. Why does Socrates say some men are seen as mad when they are not?
6. What does Phaedras say is the danger in love overcoming emotion?
7. How does Socrates begin his speech to Phaedras?
8. What does Lysias say is the main disadvantage of a relationship between lovers?
9. What does Socrates say is the defining feature of gods are?
10. What does Socrates say about the nature of the soul?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)