|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds dislike?
(a) Things that are superior to them.
(b) Things that surprise them.
(c) Thins that help their relationship.
(d) Things that don't involve them.
2. What choice in relationships does Socrates say would benefit society?
(a) Choosing attractive partners.
(b) Choosing older partners.
(c) Choosing healthy partners.
(d) Choosing rich partners.
3. How did Stesichorus receive his disability?
(a) He was caught in a horrible storm.
(b) He was punished for a crime.
(c) He offended the gods.
(d) He ignored the truth in his poems.
4. What is the temple by the stream of Illissus built in honor of?
(a) The Virgin.
(b) The Star Maker.
(c) The Huntress.
(d) The Gatherer.
5. What does Phedras want from Socrates when he threatens him?
(a) To come to dinner.
(b) To be kind ot Lysias.
(c) To keep quiet about the speech he read.
(d) To give a speech of his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Socrates embarrassed about when he begins his speech to Phaedras?
2. What does Socrates say must be arranged correctly in a good speech?
3. What is Lysias's occupation?
4. What does Socrates say love is deprived of at the end of his speech?
5. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does true beauty do to a man according to Socrates?
2. What does Socrates say about Courtesans in his speech to Phaedras?
3. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
4. Why does Socrates say a speech giver should know about his audience?
5. What does Socrates say happens when lovers restrain their desires?
6. What happens to people who gain things from what they read, according to Tisias?
7. What does Lysais say are the main benefits in the kind of relationship Lysias has with Phaedras?
8. Why did Thamus not want his people studying letters?
9. What does Socrates say souls are striving for, and why?
10. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)