|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Socrates describe the Delphic women's accomplishments?
2. What does Socrates say he is addicted to at the beginning of the book?
(c) Engaging discussions.
(d) Hearing new ideas.
3. Who took a nymph from the stream of Illissus?
4. What does lack of control in desires lead to according to Socrates?
5. What does Lysias say lovers regret?
(a) All of these.
(b) Their assumptions.
(c) Their selfishness.
(d) Their kindness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Recantation?
2. How would gods make love divine?
3. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
4. Who made good predictions when insane?
5. How does Phaedras feel when Socrates starts to explain how to arrange a good speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say happens when two lovers live together for an extended period?
2. What does Phaedras say is the danger in love overcoming emotion?
3. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
4. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
5. What does Socrates say souls are striving for, and why?
6. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
7. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
8. What does Lysais say are the main benefits in the kind of relationship Lysias has with Phaedras?
9. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
10. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)