|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say wrong speeches can lead to?
(c) Wrong actions.
2. What does Socrates say lies in desire?
3. What does Socrates say people with unsound minds dislike?
(a) Things that surprise them.
(b) Thins that help their relationship.
(c) Things that don't involve them.
(d) Things that are superior to them.
4. What does Socrates define in his speech to Phaedras?
(a) The proper relationship.
(b) The influence of love.
(c) The role of language.
(d) The need for poems.
5. What does Socrates want in a place to hear the speech?
(a) A rock and some water.
(b) A tree and a breeze.
(c) Some shade and a chair.
(d) Birds and sun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lysias's occupation?
2. What trait does Socrates say most lovers want to see in their partners?
3. What does reason discard when it is in control according to Socrates?
4. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing when they meet each other at the beginning of the book?
5. How would gods make love divine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates compare the form of the soul to at the beginning of his second speech?
2. What does Phaedras say is the danger in love overcoming emotion?
3. What is Lysisas's speech about?
4. What does Socrates say about the nature of the soul?
5. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
6. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
7. What does Socrates say a man must love to come close to the gods, and why?
8. What kind of things does Lysias say should be absent in a prudent relationship?
9. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
10. What does Socrates say about Courtesans in his speech to Phaedras?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)