|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's discussion about relationships?
2. What is the Delphic motto?
(a) Trust all.
(b) Know theyself.
(c) Do no harm.
(d) Be learned and humble.
3. What does Phaedras threaten Socrates with?
(a) Never to walk with him again.
(b) Never to give another speech.
(c) To end their friendship.
(d) To take credit for his speech.
4. What subject does Socrates say is the most pertinent?
(a) Study of oneself.
(b) Study of language.
(c) Study in agriculture.
(d) Study of history.
5. What do Socrates and Phaedras walk by while talking at the beginning of the book?
(a) A river.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A common road.
(d) A lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say one must do when dealing with a subject in a speech?
2. What is Acumenus's occupation?
3. What does Socrates say those in love care most about?
4. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
5. What compels Socrates to give a speech of his own?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phaedras feel about Socrates's second speech about love?
2. What does Socrates say will happen when writing is approached with intelligence?
3. What does Lysais say are the main benefits in the kind of relationship Lysias has with Phaedras?
4. What is Eros, and what are its effects?
5. What do Socrates and Phaedras do at the end of the book?
6. What is Lysisas's speech about?
7. What does Socrates say souls are striving for, and why?
8. What does Socrates say will happen when giving a speech if a speaker does not know all the skills needed?
9. Why does Socrates say some men are seen as mad when they are not?
10. What does Socrates compare the form of the soul to at the beginning of his second speech?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)