|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say causes passion between lovers?
2. What subject does Socrates say is the most pertinent?
(a) Study of language.
(b) Study of history.
(c) Study of oneself.
(d) Study in agriculture.
3. How does Socrates feel about all the sites that Phaedras takes him to?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He is enchanted.
(c) He is nonplussed.
(d) He is happy with them.
4. What is the Recantation?
(a) A prayer.
(b) A poem.
(c) A book.
(d) A song.
5. What does Lysias say will be present in a prudent relationship?
(c) The advancement of all partners.
(d) Love and kindness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates feel about Lysias's statement about prudent relationships?
2. What choice in relationships does Socrates say would benefit society?
3. What does Phaedras promise to do if Socrates can change his mind?
4. What does Socrates say is addicting at the plane tree by the river?
5. What does Socrates say brings lovers the most satisfaction in their relationships?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say a man must love to come close to the gods, and why?
2. Who is Boreas?
3. What does Socrates say happens when two lovers live together for an extended period?
4. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
5. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
6. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
7. What does Socrates say about the nature of the soul?
8. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
9. What is Lysias promoting in his speech?
10. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)