|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is more worthwhile to Socrates than opinions?
2. What does Socrates say his obligation as an orator is?
(a) To give correct speeches.
(b) To give entertaining speeches.
(c) To keep his mind balanced.
(d) To keep the gods' happy.
3. What kind of art was well liked in Socrates's time?
(a) Manic Art.
(b) Concrete Art.
(c) Stoic Art.
(d) Impressionistic Art.
4. Why does Socrates say some people seem unsound of mind when they are in love?
(a) They act that way.
(b) They sequester themselves.
(c) They present a bad image.
(d) They present a harmed image.
5. What does Socrates say one must do when dealing with a subject in a speech?
(a) Know the subject.
(b) Write about the subject.
(c) All of these.
(d) Ponder the subject.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phedras want from Socrates when he threatens him?
2. What is the Recantation?
3. What does Socrates say lies in desire?
4. How does Phaedras feel when Socrates starts to explain how to arrange a good speech?
5. What does Socrates like most about the speech read by Phaedras?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lysais say are the main benefits in the kind of relationship Lysias has with Phaedras?
2. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
3. Who is Boreas?
4. What does Lysias say is the main disadvantage of a relationship between lovers?
5. What does Socrates say a man must love to come close to the gods, and why?
6. What does Socrates say about Courtesans in his speech to Phaedras?
7. What is Socrates's opinion of Lysias's speech?
8. What does Phaedras say to get Socrates to deliver a speech of his own?
9. What does Socrates say causes most disappointments in loving relationships?
10. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)