|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must be linked in order for someone to predict the future?
(a) The needs and the wants.
(b) The truth and the past.
(c) The perfect and divine.
(d) The future and the past.
2. What disability did Stesichorus have?
(a) He was blind.
(b) He was deaf.
(c) He had one leg.
(d) He was schizophrenic.
3. What does Socrates say he is addicted to at the beginning of the book?
(a) Hearing new ideas.
(b) Engaging discussions.
4. What does Socrates say mania is a part of in his second speech?
(a) Annointing the past.
(b) Redeeming the dead.
(c) Striving for perfection.
(d) Creating a future.
5. Why did Socrates realize he made the speech to Phadras?
(a) In the search for truth.
(b) To feed his own ego.
(c) For the sake of applause.
(d) For the advance of mankind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made good predictions when insane?
2. What is more worthwhile to Socrates than opinions?
3. What does Lysias say lovers regret?
4. What does Phaedras doubt he can do while walking with Socrates?
5. What is another name for the Delphic women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates compare the form of the soul to at the beginning of his second speech?
2. How does Socrates say love affects the physical well being of those in a relationship, and why?
3. How are the reborn lives of humans decided according to Socrates?
4. What does Socrates say happens when two lovers live together for an extended period?
5. What does Lysias say is the main disadvantage of a relationship between lovers?
6. What does Socrates say lovers will do to suppress independence in their partner?
7. What does Socrates compare most loving relationships to?
8. What does Socrates say happens to unpleasant lovers after their relationship is ended?
9. What are Socrates and Phaedras doing at the beginning of the book, and why?
10. What idea does Socrates have about city people as opposed to country people?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)