|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of feelings does Socrates say true beauty can inspire?
(a) Joy and relief.
(b) Rest and relaxation.
(c) Pleasure and pain.
(d) Desire and impulse.
2. What is a choice Socrates says men make every day?
(a) To learn or fester.
(b) To fear or overcome.
(c) To act or be acted upon.
(d) To live or die.
3. What kind of inspiration provided by the gods is the best according to Socrates?
4. What does Socrates say the best speeches evoke?
5. What do the Muses use to inspire humans?
(d) All of these.
6. What does Phaedras think is most important to consider when writing a speech?
(a) The truth.
(b) The subject matter.
(c) The time restraints.
(d) The audience.
7. What will most men look for in a mate according to Socrates?
(a) Someone who is beautiful.
(b) Someone who they have a bond with.
(c) Someone who resembles themself.
(d) Someone who calms them.
8. What does Socrates say are equally important for preparing to deliver a good speech?
(a) Confidence and truth.
(b) Knowledge and tone.
(c) Appreciation and pride.
(d) Understanding and practice.
9. What does Socrates say is a common attribute among slaves?
10. What does Phaedras say is a common attribute among writers?
11. What does Socrates say writing must be in order to be honorable?
(a) Endowed with good qulaities.
(b) Prepared and researched.
(c) Presented in an appropriate manner.
(d) Well cited.
12. What does Phaedras say a man must know about before delivering a good speech?
(a) All of these.
(b) Uncertain things.
(c) Certain things.
(d) The truth.
13. What does Socrates say good writing will be able to do?
(a) Teach the reader.
(b) Engage the reader.
(c) Lead the reader.
(d) Confuse the reader.
14. What knowledge does Socrates say helped him become a good speech writer?
(a) The nature of the mind.
(b) The response of audiences.
(c) The worth of language.
(d) The truth of all things.
15. What must a man have a knowledge of in order to give any speech according to Socrates?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of bug does Socrates say used to be human?
2. Who wrote about duplicate expression?
3. How many kinds of inspiration do the gods provide?
4. What does Socrates say the soul readily identifies?
5. What god has the most royal features about them?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)