|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say the black horse of the chariot represents?
2. What does Socrates say writing must be in order to be honorable?
(a) Endowed with good qulaities.
(b) Well cited.
(c) Presented in an appropriate manner.
(d) Prepared and researched.
3. What does Socrates say the best speeches evoke?
4. What is Phaedras full of after hearing Socrates's second speech?
5. What about pleasures does Socrates say men need to recognize?
(a) The manner in which they come about.
(b) The affect of them on other people.
(c) The good and bad causes.
(d) The advantages and disadvantages.
6. What does Phaedras say persuasion often does NOT require?
7. What does Socrates thinks madness frees men from?
(a) Their onward course.
(b) Their preconceived notions.
(c) Their usual way of life.
(d) Their unhappiness.
8. What is involved in the synthesis method of analysis?
(a) An isolated look.
(b) A definition of the subject.
(c) A further study.
(d) A comparison.
9. What kind of inspiration does Eros provide?
10. What does Socrates say the image of eternal beauty does to the black horse?
(a) Motivates it.
(b) Scares it.
(c) Adores it.
(d) Elevates it.
11. What does Socrates say pure beauty will always involve?
12. What does Socrates say calms a soul overcome by desire?
(a) Encouraging words.
(c) Contact with a loved one.
(d) Sexual relations.
13. What does Socrates say rhetoric must have to be considered art?
14. What is another word for the conclusion of a speech?
15. What kind of inspiration does Dionysus provide?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Muses use to inspire humans?
2. What does Phaedras say competition allows people to become?
3. How many kinds of inspiration do the gods provide?
4. What is persuasion according to Phaedras?
5. What is the most important element of speech for rhetoricians?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)