|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does pure beauty inspire the growth of?
2. What do souls in a perfect state not know?
3. What word does Phaedras use to describe the affect of writing?
(a) All of these.
4. What is Phaedras full of after hearing Socrates's second speech?
5. What does Phaedras think is most important to consider when writing a speech?
(a) The time restraints.
(b) The truth.
(c) The subject matter.
(d) The audience.
6. According to Socrates, where do souls learn to deal with their love?
(a) By following their instincts.
(b) By following their associated gods.
(c) By watching their parents.
(d) By using their impulses.
7. What about pleasures does Socrates say men need to recognize?
(a) The advantages and disadvantages.
(b) The good and bad causes.
(c) The manner in which they come about.
(d) The affect of them on other people.
8. What does Socrates thinks madness frees men from?
(a) Their preconceived notions.
(b) Their usual way of life.
(c) Their unhappiness.
(d) Their onward course.
9. What does Socrates say pure beauty will always involve?
10. What does Phaedras say a man must know about before delivering a good speech?
(a) Certain things.
(b) The truth.
(c) All of these.
(d) Uncertain things.
11. What does Socrates say writing must be in order to be honorable?
(a) Endowed with good qulaities.
(b) Prepared and researched.
(c) Well cited.
(d) Presented in an appropriate manner.
12. What remains when desire becomes pain?
(a) Future desires.
(b) The memory of beauty.
(c) Past happiness.
(d) The pleasure of pain.
13. What does Socrates say the gods use to inspire humans?
14. What does Phaedras say persuasion often does NOT require?
15. What does Phaedras say writers consider themselves above?
(d) Other writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say will help a soul forget bad things?
2. What does Socrates say the black horse of the chariot represents?
3. What two things does Socrates say pleasures can be?
4. Which god gets violent when in love?
5. What does Socrates say about white chariot horses?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)