|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of inspiration does Eros provide?
2. What does Socrates say the gods use to inspire humans?
3. What does Socrates say calms a soul overcome by desire?
(a) Contact with a loved one.
(b) Sexual relations.
(c) Encouraging words.
4. What does Socrates thinks madness frees men from?
(a) Their usual way of life.
(b) Their preconceived notions.
(c) Their unhappiness.
(d) Their onward course.
5. What does Socrates say men usually engage in?
(a) Nutritional activities.
(b) Dangerous activities.
(c) Sensual activites.
(d) Educational activites.
6. What does Socrates say are equally important for preparing to deliver a good speech?
(a) Appreciation and pride.
(b) Confidence and truth.
(c) Understanding and practice.
(d) Knowledge and tone.
7. What does Socrates say about white chariot horses?
(a) They are unpredictable.
(b) They are prideful.
(c) They are noble.
(d) They are dangerous.
8. What does Phaedras say makes something debatable?
(a) It is not fully revealed.
(b) It can be seen in two different ways.
(c) It is always changing.
(d) It can cause contention.
9. What do rhetoricians use to change the appearance of matters?
10. What is involved in the combination method of analysis?
(a) A division of parts.
(b) A pro and con aspect.
(c) All of these.
(d) A comparison.
11. What does Socrates say those who recognize pure beauty will enjoy?
(d) All of these.
12. What do souls in a perfect state not know?
13. What does Phaedras say competition allows people to become?
14. What knowledge does Socrates say helped him become a good speech writer?
(a) The worth of language.
(b) The nature of the mind.
(c) The truth of all things.
(d) The response of audiences.
15. What two things does Socrates say pleasures can be?
(a) Active and inactive.
(b) Appropriate and inappropriate.
(c) Constructive and deconstructive.
(d) Happy and sad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of inspiration does Aphrodite provide?
2. What does Socrates say can lose an entire audience of a good speech?
3. What is the first elemental part of a good rhetoric speech?
4. What does Socrates say is the most important tool in the outline of a speech?
5. Who wrote about duplicate expression?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)