|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates thinks madness frees men from?
(a) Their unhappiness.
(b) Their preconceived notions.
(c) Their onward course.
(d) Their usual way of life.
2. What does Phaedras say persuasion often does NOT require?
3. What does Phaedras say writing encourages among writers?
(d) High regard.
4. What does Socrates say all desires lead to if allowed?
5. What does Socrates say about white chariot horses?
(a) They are unpredictable.
(b) They are noble.
(c) They are prideful.
(d) They are dangerous.
6. What knowledge does Socrates say helped him become a good speech writer?
(a) The worth of language.
(b) The nature of the mind.
(c) The truth of all things.
(d) The response of audiences.
7. According to Socrates, where do souls learn to deal with their love?
(a) By watching their parents.
(b) By using their impulses.
(c) By following their associated gods.
(d) By following their instincts.
8. What does Phaedras say writers consider themselves above?
(c) Other writers.
9. What does Socrates say calms a soul overcome by desire?
(a) Contact with a loved one.
(b) Sexual relations.
(d) Encouraging words.
10. What does Socrates say are equally important for preparing to deliver a good speech?
(a) Knowledge and tone.
(b) Appreciation and pride.
(c) Understanding and practice.
(d) Confidence and truth.
11. What is involved in the combination method of analysis?
(a) All of these.
(b) A comparison.
(c) A pro and con aspect.
(d) A division of parts.
12. When does a soul overcome by desire become frantic?
(a) When sleeping.
(b) During the day.
(c) When waking.
(d) At night.
13. What does Socrates say good writing will be able to do?
(a) Confuse the reader.
(b) Teach the reader.
(c) Lead the reader.
(d) Engage the reader.
14. Which god gets violent when in love?
15. What does Socrates say souls will retain in different lives?
(a) Their bonds with lovers.
(b) Their association with the gods.
(c) Their feelings of pain.
(d) Their memories of happiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will most men look for in a mate according to Socrates?
2. What is another word for the conclusion of a speech?
3. What kind of inspiration provided by the gods is the best according to Socrates?
4. What two things does Socrates say pleasures can be?
5. What does Phaedras think is most important to consider when writing a speech?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)