|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say good writing will be able to do?
(a) Engage the reader.
(b) Teach the reader.
(c) Lead the reader.
(d) Confuse the reader.
2. What does Socrates say about white chariot horses?
(a) They are prideful.
(b) They are noble.
(c) They are dangerous.
(d) They are unpredictable.
3. What is persuasion according to Phaedras?
(a) The need for change.
(b) The need for followers.
(c) The appearance of truth.
(d) The dressing of the truth.
4. What is another word for the conclusion of a speech?
5. What is involved in the synthesis method of analysis?
(a) A definition of the subject.
(b) A further study.
(c) A comparison.
(d) An isolated look.
6. What did Thrasymachus write about in his speeches?
7. What does Socrates say happens to lovers who restrain desire?
(a) They seek friendship.
(b) They end the passion.
(c) None of these.
(d) They become enslaved.
8. What kind of function does Socrates consider the analytical methods to have?
9. What does Socrates say is a common attribute among slaves?
10. What does Socrates say the black horse of the chariot represents?
11. What kind of inspiration does Dionysus provide?
12. What does Phaedras say writing does differently than other professions?
13. What is the most important element of speech for rhetoricians?
14. Which god gets violent when in love?
15. According to Socrates, where do souls learn to deal with their love?
(a) By watching their parents.
(b) By following their instincts.
(c) By using their impulses.
(d) By following their associated gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say the best speeches evoke?
2. What does Socrates say men usually engage in?
3. What were the bugs who used to be human doing when they died?
4. What kind of particles is beauty able to move?
5. What does Socrates say make the bodies of gods perfect?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)