|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What god has the most royal features about them?
2. When does a soul overcome by desire become frantic?
(a) At night.
(b) When waking.
(c) When sleeping.
(d) During the day.
3. What were the bugs who used to be human doing when they died?
4. How many kinds of inspiration do the gods provide?
5. What do souls in a perfect state not know?
6. What kind of feelings does Socrates say true beauty can inspire?
(a) Desire and impulse.
(b) Joy and relief.
(c) Pleasure and pain.
(d) Rest and relaxation.
7. What does Socrates say calms a soul overcome by desire?
(a) Encouraging words.
(c) Sexual relations.
(d) Contact with a loved one.
8. What is involved in the synthesis method of analysis?
(a) A comparison.
(b) An isolated look.
(c) A definition of the subject.
(d) A further study.
9. What does Socrates say it is better to engage in than sleep?
10. What does Phaedras think is most important to consider when writing a speech?
(a) The subject matter.
(b) The audience.
(c) The truth.
(d) The time restraints.
11. What does Socrates say are equally important for preparing to deliver a good speech?
(a) Knowledge and tone.
(b) Understanding and practice.
(c) Confidence and truth.
(d) Appreciation and pride.
12. Who wrote about duplicate expression?
13. What does Phaedras say persuasion often does NOT require?
14. What kind of inspiration does Eros provide?
15. Which speech does Phaedras think is the superior one?
(a) Socrates's first speech.
(b) Phaedras's speech.
(c) Lysias's speech.
(d) Socrates's second speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say the image of eternal beauty does to the black horse?
2. What is a choice Socrates says men make every day?
3. What did Thrasymachus write about in his speeches?
4. What kind of inspiration does Apollo provide?
5. What is involved in the combination method of analysis?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)