|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Phaedras say writing encourages among writers?
(a) High regard.
2. What does Socrates always hope the hearers of his speeches will form?
(a) None of these.
3. What does Socrates say is a common attribute among slaves?
4. What is persuasion according to Phaedras?
(a) The dressing of the truth.
(b) The need for followers.
(c) The need for change.
(d) The appearance of truth.
5. What does Socrates say calms a soul overcome by desire?
(b) Contact with a loved one.
(c) Encouraging words.
(d) Sexual relations.
6. What is Phaedras full of after hearing Socrates's second speech?
7. What does Phaedras say persuasion often does NOT require?
8. What about pleasures does Socrates say men need to recognize?
(a) The advantages and disadvantages.
(b) The affect of them on other people.
(c) The manner in which they come about.
(d) The good and bad causes.
9. What kind of inspiration does Aphrodite provide?
10. Which speech does Phaedras think is the superior one?
(a) Phaedras's speech.
(b) Socrates's second speech.
(c) Socrates's first speech.
(d) Lysias's speech.
11. What will most men look for in a mate according to Socrates?
(a) Someone who is beautiful.
(b) Someone who resembles themself.
(c) Someone who calms them.
(d) Someone who they have a bond with.
12. What kind of inspiration does Apollo provide?
13. What does Socrates say rhetoric must have to be considered art?
14. What must a man have a knowledge of in order to give any speech according to Socrates?
15. What does Phaedras say makes something debatable?
(a) It is always changing.
(b) It is not fully revealed.
(c) It can cause contention.
(d) It can be seen in two different ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates thinks madness frees men from?
2. What kind of inspiration provided by the gods is the best according to Socrates?
3. What does Socrates say make the bodies of gods perfect?
4. What kind of function does Socrates consider the analytical methods to have?
5. What kind of inspiration does Eros provide?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)