|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say happens to lovers who restrain desire?
(a) They end the passion.
(b) They become enslaved.
(c) None of these.
(d) They seek friendship.
2. When does a soul overcome by desire become frantic?
(a) When waking.
(b) At night.
(c) During the day.
(d) When sleeping.
3. What does Socrates say make the bodies of gods perfect?
(a) The simplicity.
(b) The inspiration.
(c) The complex nature.
(d) The uniqueness.
4. What does Socrates say is a common attribute among slaves?
5. What is Phaedras full of after hearing Socrates's second speech?
6. What kind of inspiration provided by the gods is the best according to Socrates?
7. What two things does Socrates say pleasures can be?
(a) Happy and sad.
(b) Appropriate and inappropriate.
(c) Constructive and deconstructive.
(d) Active and inactive.
8. What does Socrates say it is better to engage in than sleep?
9. What kind of inspiration does Aphrodite provide?
10. What does Phaedras say writing does differently than other professions?
11. What does Phaedras say makes something debatable?
(a) It can be seen in two different ways.
(b) It is always changing.
(c) It can cause contention.
(d) It is not fully revealed.
12. What kind of particles is beauty able to move?
(a) The particles of passion.
(b) The particles of love.
(c) The particles of desire.
(d) The particles of wisdom.
13. Which speech does Phaedras think is the superior one?
(a) Socrates's first speech.
(b) Lysias's speech.
(c) Phaedras's speech.
(d) Socrates's second speech.
14. What god has the most royal features about them?
15. What will most men look for in a mate according to Socrates?
(a) Someone who calms them.
(b) Someone who is beautiful.
(c) Someone who they have a bond with.
(d) Someone who resembles themself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedras say competition allows people to become?
2. What does Socrates say the soul readily identifies?
3. What does Socrates say writing must be in order to be honorable?
4. What is the most important element of speech for rhetoricians?
5. What is another word for the conclusion of a speech?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)