|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say the black horse of the chariot represents?
2. What does Socrates say about white chariot horses?
(a) They are unpredictable.
(b) They are noble.
(c) They are dangerous.
(d) They are prideful.
3. What is the first elemental part of a good rhetoric speech?
(a) The location.
(b) The theme.
(c) The opening.
(d) The thesis.
4. What does Socrates say rhetoric must have to be considered art?
5. What does Socrates say good writing will be able to do?
(a) Lead the reader.
(b) Engage the reader.
(c) Confuse the reader.
(d) Teach the reader.
6. What kind of bug does Socrates say used to be human?
7. What does Socrates say the best speeches evoke?
8. What does Phaedras say competition allows people to become?
9. What kind of particles is beauty able to move?
(a) The particles of desire.
(b) The particles of wisdom.
(c) The particles of love.
(d) The particles of passion.
10. What is Phaedras full of after hearing Socrates's second speech?
11. What do souls in a perfect state not know?
12. What does Socrates say make the bodies of gods perfect?
(a) The complex nature.
(b) The uniqueness.
(c) The simplicity.
(d) The inspiration.
13. What does Socrates say calms a soul overcome by desire?
(a) Sexual relations.
(b) Encouraging words.
(c) Contact with a loved one.
14. What does Socrates always hope the hearers of his speeches will form?
(a) None of these.
15. What does Socrates say the image of eternal beauty does to the black horse?
(a) Scares it.
(b) Elevates it.
(c) Adores it.
(d) Motivates it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of inspiration does Eros provide?
2. What kind of function does Socrates consider the analytical methods to have?
3. What must a man have a knowledge of in order to give any speech according to Socrates?
4. What knowledge does Socrates say helped him become a good speech writer?
5. What does Socrates say those who recognize pure beauty will enjoy?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)