|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say men usually engage in?
(a) Nutritional activities.
(b) Educational activites.
(c) Dangerous activities.
(d) Sensual activites.
2. What does Phaedras say writing does differently than other professions?
3. What does Socrates say the best speeches evoke?
4. What does Socrates say those who recognize pure beauty will enjoy?
(b) All of these.
5. What must a man have a knowledge of in order to give any speech according to Socrates?
6. What does Phaedras think is most important to consider when writing a speech?
(a) The subject matter.
(b) The time restraints.
(c) The truth.
(d) The audience.
7. What does Socrates say good writing will be able to do?
(a) Lead the reader.
(b) Engage the reader.
(c) Teach the reader.
(d) Confuse the reader.
8. What word does Phaedras use to describe the affect of writing?
(b) All of these.
9. What kind of function does Socrates consider the analytical methods to have?
10. Who wrote about duplicate expression?
11. How many kinds of inspiration do the gods provide?
12. What does Phaedras say persuasion often does NOT require?
13. What does Socrates say are equally important for preparing to deliver a good speech?
(a) Understanding and practice.
(b) Confidence and truth.
(c) Knowledge and tone.
(d) Appreciation and pride.
14. What does Socrates say the black horse of the chariot represents?
15. What does Socrates say can lose an entire audience of a good speech?
(a) The language.
(b) The tone.
(c) The length.
(d) The theme.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say will help a soul forget bad things?
2. What does Socrates say the image of eternal beauty does to the black horse?
3. What does Socrates say is the most important tool in the outline of a speech?
4. What does Socrates say about white chariot horses?
5. What is the most important element of speech for rhetoricians?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)