|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will most men look for in a mate according to Socrates?
(a) Someone who resembles themself.
(b) Someone who calms them.
(c) Someone who is beautiful.
(d) Someone who they have a bond with.
2. What does Socrates say souls will retain in different lives?
(a) Their bonds with lovers.
(b) Their feelings of pain.
(c) Their association with the gods.
(d) Their memories of happiness.
3. What knowledge does Socrates say helped him become a good speech writer?
(a) The nature of the mind.
(b) The worth of language.
(c) The response of audiences.
(d) The truth of all things.
4. What were the bugs who used to be human doing when they died?
5. What does Phaedras say makes something debatable?
(a) It is always changing.
(b) It can cause contention.
(c) It is not fully revealed.
(d) It can be seen in two different ways.
6. What does Phaedras say writers consider themselves above?
(b) Other writers.
7. What does Socrates say the soul readily identifies?
8. Who wrote about duplicate expression?
9. What must a man have a knowledge of in order to give any speech according to Socrates?
10. What does Socrates say the image of eternal beauty does to the black horse?
(a) Adores it.
(b) Motivates it.
(c) Elevates it.
(d) Scares it.
11. What does pure beauty inspire the growth of?
12. What does Phaedras say is a common attribute among writers?
13. What kind of inspiration does Dionysus provide?
14. What does Socrates say make the bodies of gods perfect?
(a) The simplicity.
(b) The inspiration.
(c) The uniqueness.
(d) The complex nature.
15. What does Phaedras think is most important to consider when writing a speech?
(a) The truth.
(b) The audience.
(c) The subject matter.
(d) The time restraints.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say good writing will be able to do?
2. What kind of inspiration does Eros provide?
3. What kind of inspiration does Aphrodite provide?
4. What does Socrates say pure beauty will always involve?
5. What does Socrates say calms a soul overcome by desire?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)