|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things does Socrates say pleasures can be?
(a) Appropriate and inappropriate.
(b) Happy and sad.
(c) Active and inactive.
(d) Constructive and deconstructive.
2. What kind of feelings does Socrates say true beauty can inspire?
(a) Pleasure and pain.
(b) Rest and relaxation.
(c) Joy and relief.
(d) Desire and impulse.
3. What word does Phaedras use to describe the affect of writing?
(d) All of these.
4. What remains when desire becomes pain?
(a) The memory of beauty.
(b) Past happiness.
(c) Future desires.
(d) The pleasure of pain.
5. What is a choice Socrates says men make every day?
(a) To act or be acted upon.
(b) To live or die.
(c) To fear or overcome.
(d) To learn or fester.
6. What does Socrates say souls will retain in different lives?
(a) Their memories of happiness.
(b) Their bonds with lovers.
(c) Their association with the gods.
(d) Their feelings of pain.
7. What is Phaedras full of after hearing Socrates's second speech?
8. What does Socrates say rhetoric must have to be considered art?
9. What kind of function does Socrates consider the analytical methods to have?
10. What is involved in the combination method of analysis?
(a) A division of parts.
(b) All of these.
(c) A pro and con aspect.
(d) A comparison.
11. What did Thrasymachus write about in his speeches?
12. What does Socrates say pure beauty will always involve?
13. What does Socrates say good writing will be able to do?
(a) Lead the reader.
(b) Engage the reader.
(c) Confuse the reader.
(d) Teach the reader.
14. Which god gets violent when in love?
15. What kind of bug does Socrates say used to be human?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates always hope the hearers of his speeches will form?
2. What does Phaedras say competition allows people to become?
3. What does Phaedras say persuasion often does NOT require?
4. What does Phaedras say writing encourages among writers?
5. Which speech does Phaedras think is the superior one?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)