|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote about duplicate expression?
2. What do souls in a perfect state not know?
3. What must a man have a knowledge of in order to give any speech according to Socrates?
4. What is a choice Socrates says men make every day?
(a) To learn or fester.
(b) To act or be acted upon.
(c) To fear or overcome.
(d) To live or die.
5. What knowledge does Socrates say helped him become a good speech writer?
(a) The nature of the mind.
(b) The truth of all things.
(c) The response of audiences.
(d) The worth of language.
6. What does Socrates say can lose an entire audience of a good speech?
(a) The length.
(b) The theme.
(c) The language.
(d) The tone.
7. What does Socrates say the gods use to inspire humans?
8. What does Socrates say writing must be in order to be honorable?
(a) Prepared and researched.
(b) Well cited.
(c) Endowed with good qulaities.
(d) Presented in an appropriate manner.
9. What is involved in the combination method of analysis?
(a) A pro and con aspect.
(b) A division of parts.
(c) A comparison.
(d) All of these.
10. What were the bugs who used to be human doing when they died?
11. What does Socrates say will help a soul forget bad things?
12. What does Socrates say happens to lovers who restrain desire?
(a) They become enslaved.
(b) They end the passion.
(c) They seek friendship.
(d) None of these.
13. What does Socrates say the soul retains in its next life?
(a) Its vision.
(b) Its memory.
(c) Its appearance.
(d) All of these.
14. What two things does Socrates say pleasures can be?
(a) Appropriate and inappropriate.
(b) Active and inactive.
(c) Happy and sad.
(d) Constructive and deconstructive.
15. What does Phaedras say writers consider themselves above?
(b) Other writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phaedras full of after hearing Socrates's second speech?
2. What kind of particles is beauty able to move?
3. What does Socrates say the best speeches evoke?
4. What does Phaedras say competition allows people to become?
5. What does Socrates say is a common attribute among slaves?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)